Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 72

Author Topic: Build A Village: The Orebaron of Alucard  (Read 99594 times)

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Build A Village: The Orebaron of Alucard
« Reply #810 on: May 10, 2013, 03:45:33 am »

We don't need to worry about the light for quite some turns, since the miner started another tunnel.
But if it's that important we could ask the traders if there is anything like gaslamps or mirrors known and where/how to get it.

@drakes: i dislike calling anything here drake, because for me none of the known creatures look even distantly like a drake, but well...
for the rideback and the bogble it might be acceptable, but please DON't call that giant bear a drake... Stoneface is enough.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #811 on: May 10, 2013, 07:07:50 am »

I'm still in favor of beating out a shiny plate of metal and using it to reflect light into the mine.

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: May 10, 2013, 08:05:13 am »

Sorry, I meant to talk about lighting in the last update but it totally slipped my mind. Which is insane since there is about 5 pages dedicated to it.

Also about the drake thing. I think none of them are remotely drake-like since I know what animals I was thinking of when I drew them. To help settle this here they are:

Ridgeback: Tuskless boar/bear
Tusker/bogbull/whatever: wolf/boar
Stoneface: Cow/bear/bus/banthacow (if you remember what that is you deserve a high-five)

Nothing you've seen has scales, it's all fur so far.

Don't try and take that as an indicator of their intelligence or anything. That's just where my inspiration for physical appearance came from/what I think they look like.

I'm feeling a bit to tired to do an update but i'll get on it tomorrow.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: May 10, 2013, 10:59:19 am »

I think you said that about the ridgeback already in the discussion about its name.
Nice that it's made clear now. No drakes yet.

Oh, and: *highfiving Lincoln* :)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: May 10, 2013, 11:55:05 am »

The main purpose of a name is to identify whatever you are naming. While I wouldn't care about naming one of the animals "drake", I wouldn't like to see more that one named after that.

I usually don't care for something as unimportant as names, but when they stop being a way to identify something (like, when you use the same word to talk about two animals without a very evident aspect in common), they become annoying.

As a non-native English speaker, it's ok for me to use unrelated words to name some animal if the name is catchy (like the bogbles, they don't live in bogs, but I don't care either, I like the name anyway).

So, unless the animal has a very simmilar and prominent feature to another, I'm against using the same word to name both.

GWG: it's evident that the players don't see anything in common with the Stoneface and the Ridgeback, so there will be no point in assigning both of them the word drake. We make the names for ourselves. Maybe you do relate those animals, but most of the players don't. The names are just a way to not say "purple deer" each time you talk about a deerple.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: May 10, 2013, 06:32:14 pm »

It's not about putting animals into groups. As already said, not every historic dragon was a big fire breathing reptilian with wings. It's just that in GWG's opinion those animals ARE drake-like. But they aren't, and since even Lincoln said this (and he invented them ;) ), GWG should accept that, too. And i think he will. He doesn't seem that stubborn to me.

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
Turn 48
« Reply #816 on: May 11, 2013, 10:24:16 am »

Turn 48:

Site:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You consider how you will light the mines. Since the tunnels aren't to deep at the moment it's possible you can get away with torches or candles if you can make them. You tell Gargle to keep the fat and sinew from the next beast he butchers, he protests on the grounds that sinew is fiddly and fat is delicious but you make it clear that the village needs them. You also consider the possibility of using a large panel of grey-metal to reflect light into the mines. Grey-metal isn't very reflective compared to other metals so it won't be as good as other metals but you think it would let you mine just a tad deeper. Deep enough to breach the cavern if you are lucky.

It looks like it will take about 3 more turns to finish the fellhawk statue.

You turn a grey-metal ingot into three spearheads. Spearheads are a bit trickier to fit onto a handle so the Carpenter has to do it.

Tagracka cancels task: Gathering fruit
Interrupted by: To much vomit

SouthWest(pond):
The Goblin approaches the deerple he speared. It is trying to struggle but it is clear that the spear hit a lung and the deerple is drowning in it's own blood.

Jaymi stops following the deerple he speared because the ridge-back decided it wanted that deerple as well. After knocking the deerple down and breaking it's neck the ridge-back lets out an almost casual sounding roar. It then makes low growls at Jaymi.

Inventory:

Scouting Party:

Tasks:

Population:

Settler's Wants:

Spoiler: Author Notes: (click to show/hide)

Informative post.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 10:28:54 am by Evil Lincoln »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: May 11, 2013, 10:35:05 am »

-Green berries: show your true hallucinogen properties (I just wanted to say that).
-Gargle: take care of your assistant.
-Everybody else: keep gathering stuff.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hunters:
We have 2 options now, both of them begin with waiting the uppermost deerple to die off and retrieve the spear.
1)Go back with that deerple to the camp.
2)Use misdirection to steal the other deerples from the ridgeback, and retrive the spears.

Also consider that after option 1 the hunters can come again with help from the camp.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: May 11, 2013, 10:38:38 am »

Hm...

Most Junior Hunter: Cautiously approach the ridgeback and offer it the deerple. Run back screaming to camp if the ridgeback looks aggressive.

Other hunters: Chase some other deerples.

What do you think the chance that we could catch and tame a Green Ridgebacked Drake is?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: May 11, 2013, 10:44:17 am »

Low, but it would be interesting to kill it and raise it as a zombie.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: May 11, 2013, 11:40:26 am »

Anyone noticed the green monster above the lake?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: May 11, 2013, 11:43:14 am »

The tree or the weird green tendrilled boulder thing?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: May 11, 2013, 01:11:30 pm »

It's clear that it is a rock with grass over it.
Lincoln: if you see this, make it a real monster.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: May 11, 2013, 03:24:14 pm »

It's clear that it is a rock with grass over it.
Lincoln: if you see this, make it a real monster.
yes to the visible part and no to the invisible part. D:
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: May 11, 2013, 06:24:59 pm »

A ledge in the cliff wall maybe?
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 72