Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Choose your own thread: The Choose Your Own Adventure thread  (Read 841 times)

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
Choose your own thread: The Choose Your Own Adventure thread
« on: February 09, 2013, 11:37:40 am »

Choose your own adventure books, what can be said about them. Quite a lot actually.

They've been around for years scaring children for life with their descriptive death scenes. I personally hold two of my biggest fears to a Give Yourself Goosebumps book I read when I was seven.

This thread is for discussing this marvelous series that has lasted over the years as strong as it ever was. Discuss your Childhood favorites, your most remembered deaths and interesting CYOA sites.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Choose your own thread: The Choose Your Own Adventure thread
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 11:38:43 am »

I remember finding one of these in Skyrim. Was pretty hilarious.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 11:54:03 am »

Choose your own adventure books, what can be said about them. Quite a lot actually.
Terrible? The worse ones go in constant loops and it feels like you're in subjective groundhog hell...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 04:52:26 pm »

I have a thread dedicated to Lone Wolf books because there's a website that's put them all online. It was the series I stuck with because there were game mechanics and the world was super gritty. Most other CYOA adventure books, while the spirit was behind them was neat and all of them were metal because of the endings (of which LW has plenty), there were plenty of bad ones.

Some of the themes were cool though. I remember this one where you were part of a miniaturized scientific and medical team sent into this person's brain to do...something. There was this really extensive briefing that you had to read at the beginning (and weren't supposed to look at afterward.) I remember a lot of grisly deaths of team members falling down arterial chutes and disappearing or being pulped by organic tissue, and the like. Metal.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 04:59:20 pm »

I only wished CYOA books were easier to read online, also I tried the free download of the lone wolf books, but  couldn't get it to work properly.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 06:16:44 am »

My favourite? The Warlock of Firetop Mountain. I was 10. Tried every way through that book, read it soooooo many times.

I think I still have the first 50 books or so in a box in the loft.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 08:00:08 am »

the first on i played was The Citadel of Chaos.
then i try to play Sorcery but only had 3 of the books out of the 5 it need so there was a gap and no end.

has anyone remade it or any Fighting Fantasy books online?

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG