Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Ongoing Neverwinter Nights Campaign, Monday nights 7-10pm PST  (Read 11686 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Party Forming for weekly ongoing Neverwinter Nights Campaign
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2013, 01:12:58 am »

Okay, I've yet to find my disk but I decided to go ahead. Keep in mind I've never done anything like this before, so sorry if it's not quite right.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good enough?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2013, 01:21:02 am »

Hati Norvegus

Yep. That works. Character accepted.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2013, 03:35:21 am »

For the record, don't bother trying to install and patch through your Diamond CD Updater.
Since the Atari takeover of Bioware, support for NWN (among a lot of others) is abysmal.
Updater no longer functions to get you to 1.69, and will break at some point past 1.66.

Found this however: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Other.Detail&id=1505

Also, might be troublesome if GoG did any patching past 1.69 (and I'm sure they did) without changing the version number.
Something to find out on testday I suppose. However my searching seems to reveal it should be the same version as the 1.69 crit rebuild patch.

Also Also, Piracy is semi-pointless as you seem to need to request a Multiplayer CD Key from GoG to get non-singleplayer working.
Not sure how accurate that is for the pirate copy, but the GoG release seems to include a Generic CD Key meant for solo/offline only.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:03:02 am by n9103 »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2013, 06:48:28 am »

Hmm. Yeah, it's because of this kind of thing that I said aside the first night for playtesting and getting everyone successfully connected.

Personally I'm running 1.69, and did need to install the critical rebuild on top of that to get the game to even load without crashing, but doing so did not change the version number displayed by the game. And, casual check of multiplayer functionality, it asks me for an account, and if I just ignore it and tell it I don't have one it nevertheless puts me through to multiplayer host search screen.

I think we'll need to host a game and have people try to join, then iron out issues from there. Also of note...some things are very different since last I played. Used to be that hosting a server required a totally separate download apart from the game. The dedicated server download appears to still exist, but it's implied elsewhere that it's no longer neccessary to host a game...but for reasons I haven't figured out yet, I'm having difficulty simultaneously hosting a game and entering it as DM. It used to be a separate menu option from the main menu, but I don't see that anymore on the current version.

Also, as for multiplayer issue you mentioned, according to this, while the GoG service no longer exists, it's still possible to connect to servers if you have their IP. Which is all we need.

So yes...some issues to resolve. First night might end up being just an hour or two of connecting and reconnecting and downloading patches and getting everyone playing the same version. Let's not plan to get any actual gaming in on the first night.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2013, 07:31:36 am »

i'm on gmt time. if you schedule the sessions any earlier i'll have to drop out. i'm willing to get up crazily early, but not insanely early

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2013, 12:48:12 pm »

Well, I still haven't found my disc, but it turns out I have a fully functional 1.68 install already on this computer. Amazing. I guess I'll patch it up and hope it doesn't break.

(I actually can not remember if I pirated it before buying it, so I have no idea if this particular install is legit or not...)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2013, 01:16:21 pm »

Alagoth
Chaotic Good Halfling Fighter

Bio/Background sent

Life's in a transitory phase for me, so new responsibilities might come up and pull me out, but barring that, I should be able to do Mondays 10p-1a EST (though earlier is requested, it's not a requirement)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2013, 02:55:50 pm »

Alagoth
Bio/Background sent

Character approved pending response to questions submitted via PM.

Party has a druid and a fighter so far, and a possible rogue pending revision.

sinj1107

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2013, 05:21:00 am »

7-10pm PST Monday

cannot do Mondays, unless it is later in the day. if it gets changed back to some time over the weekend then probably could join.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2013, 04:11:38 pm »

Any updates on this? Is Frumple joining us?

I've got my game patched up successfully to 1.69. I'm extra wary about installing any mods though, because I'm not sure I'll have the means to reinstall if it turns out they break everything.

Edit: Are we supposed to try to actually make and save our characters beforehand or are we doing that on Monday night?

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2013, 11:40:57 pm »

If he runs Server-side characters, have to be made then.
Also interested in hearing some news.
Also hope others will be joining us.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2013, 11:55:47 pm »

Any updates on this?

Playtest is still scheduled for Monday night. About 10 people expressed interest, and three have submitted characters.

Current party is:
 * Hati Norvegus, Human Female True Neutral Druid, played by DeKaFu
 * Alagoth,  Halfling Chaotic Good Fighter, played by n9103
 * Sam, Neutral Human Wizard, played by foxe

Are we supposed to try to actually make and save our
characters beforehand or are we doing that on Monday night?

Either way. Doesn't really matter. Character creation takes 5 minutes tops, and it's possible that anything made now might need to be recreated when we go live. That's one of the things we need to test.

However, if anyone wants a custom character portrait, I'd advise making it in advance and confirming that it looks the way you want it on a test character. Applying a custom portrait after a character is made is tedious and difficult, and might not be possible with a server-side saved character.

cannot do Mondays

Sorry. Six people responded to the original time and said they couldn't do it. We're all over the world in all time zones. Unlikely to find a time that works for everyone.

If he runs Server-side characters, have to be made then.

...ahh, ok so you know about this then?

Here's the big question that hugely affects how we do this:

The plan is to make/modify the campaign as we go, week to week. So, if characters are kept server side...are they attached to a particular module, or will it be possible to transfer them between modules?

For example, we could:

A) Build a single module on week 1, then transfer characters to the new module when it's made the following week. Or at whatever point we finish it. However, this depends on us being able to export/import or transfer characters even though they're saved on the server.

B) Build a module, and then then add to it from week to week so that old zones are all kept and the party can go back to previous zones and events and locations can evolve with the campaign. I would prefer to do it this way, but this assumes that we can add items and locations and possibly even hak packs to an existing module with characters saved to it without breaking save files.

You see the issue? How does this work? What do we need to do?

Also hope others will be joining us.

Yes, was hoping for more players, but gaming night isn't until a week after playtest night, so there's still plenty of time to fill slots.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2013, 01:45:54 am »

No real idea about module dependency, but I would guess they're independent, to make it possible for PWs (Persistent Worlds) to be run without a huge transfer every time there's a major update.
On the topic of PWs, they indeed did add areas without a full Server Vault wipe, though wipes had happened, and I'm not sure what the circumstances were.
What I know is mostly from my recent install and character creation session, (and semi-vague memories from first playing years ago,) that included looking into that issue you seemed to have with DM'ing and hosting.
BTW, were you running the DM Toolkit from the launcher? In there, there's a Host option in Multiplayer, that lets you DM and Host.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2013, 01:42:28 pm »

I'll join, but just as a warning I may have to drop out later (for school reasons) unless the time is changed to during the weekends.

but barring these problems here is my character:

name: Manual Sunshade
race:human
class:cleric (domain healing and death)
alignment:neutral good
background: Manual was once a follower of a evil death god, until his radical ideas got him kicked out of the priesthood. Later he became a wanderer of the land trying to raise money to build a hospital. Now that nothing worked and Manual was left penniless and he has now turned to mercenary work for money...

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:16:48 pm by uber pye »
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2013, 02:20:45 pm »

Reminder:
Playtest in ~7 1/2 hours

were you running the DM Toolkit from the launcher? In there, there's a Host option in Multiplayer, that lets you DM and Host.

The preloader crashes on startup for me. I've been getting in game by running the exe directly. If the DM interface is only accessible through the pre-loader....that could be a problem.

Looking into it now.

about module dependency, but I would guess they're independent, to make it possible for PWs (Persistent Worlds) to be run without a huge transfer every time there's a major update.
On the topic of PWs, they indeed did add areas without a full Server Vault wipe

Ok. So then it should be possible. Hopefully we'll find out tonight.

I'll join, but just as a warning I may have to drop out later (for school reasons)
unless the time is changed to during the weekends.

This is supposed to be an ongoing campaign. At present there's no plan to change the time, and I'm a bit hesitant to allow a player who announces right away that they're going to drop the game unless the time is changed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9