Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Ongoing Neverwinter Nights Campaign, Monday nights 7-10pm PST  (Read 11669 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Party Forming for weekly ongoing Neverwinter Nights Campaign
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 01:59:54 pm »

Got NWN up and running, so if you wouldn't mind someone joining in that's got pretty much zero experience with this sort of thing (and hasn't played NWN in years ;)), count me in. Though I might be a lil'drowsy during the suggested playsession, as that's ~midnight to 3 AM for me. Better for me would be starting a few hours earlier (between that and about 9 PM CST, a three-ish hour range), but so long as it's on a weekend I think I can swing it regardless.

My current thought is to not power-game much (i.e. at all :P) and go with a fairly simple background/motivation. A somewhat unscrupulous (a sort of watered down CN) dwarf loremaster (bard) sent from the mountainhomes to seek knowledge and artifacts of dragonkind in the wider world. Eventually multiclassing into dragon disciple (should he live that long, heh), as he learns the ways of the wyrm and how to turn that power against them.

Fairly standard dwarven upbringing, but the negotiable morals and fairly strong inquisitive nature (for a dwarf, in any case) causes a bit of friction, ultimately resulting in his current assignment which is as much penance as duty. His own inclination towards curiosity and somewhat conflicted view on the mountainhomes (as well as the general lack of logistical support therefrom) means that he's currently somewhat lackadaisic in his pursuit of his assigned goal, leading to him being... wherever it is this thing starts up, looking for work, amusement, or leads.

Name is... let me run the NWN name generator a couple times... Semli Conforge.

Izzat alright? Suggestions for improvement, or more detail/etc. wanted?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 03:32:32 pm »

I'll also chime in for "a few hours earlier would be nice" since the posted time is 1 am for me. I'm fine staying up until 2 am, but 4 am might be a bit much. :P

Edit: Yeah, I'm pretty much commited to joining this if you'll have me now. I'll use a female probably-human druid and I'll post my character info once I find my disc and get the game working.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 03:52:18 pm by DeKaFu »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 04:48:22 pm »

Indeed, the time suggested/listed is unsuitable for almost anyone in Eastern US.
3 hours earlier might pull more, but starting a game session at 10p is a bit off the chart for anyone with any decent amount of responsibility.

All the same, hope it goes well for y'all.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2013, 06:17:42 pm »

An hour or 2 earlier would be appreciated, but not neccesary for me. I'm fairly flexible on my available times, so long as I know a few days in advanced.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2013, 09:13:52 pm »

would prefer an hour or two earlier.
Better for me would be starting a few hours earlier
I'll also chime in for "a few hours earlier would be nice"
the time suggested/listed is unsuitable
An hour or 2 earlier would be appreciated

Ok, looks like the propose time is a problem for a lot of people. Would 7-10pm PST Monday work better for everyone? That's three hours earlier, but on a Monday. Is that better or worse?

I'm still really tempted to try signing up for this, though, assuming having a complete noob in the group wouldn't ruin everything.
if you wouldn't mind someone joining in that's got pretty much zero experience with this sort of thing (and hasn't played NWN in years ), count me in.

Minimal experience shouldn't be a problem. However I do need character backgrounds, since I will be incorporating your personal stories into the campaign.

This will not be a mindless hack and slash adventure. Neither will it be hours of sitting around talking to npcs, but there will be puzzles and story and logical continuity between events and a non-linear open plotline.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 09:18:36 pm »

A somewhat unscrupulous (a sort of watered down CN) dwarf loremaster (bard) sent from the mountainhomes to seek knowledge and artifacts of dragonkind in the wider world. Eventually multiclassing into dragon disciple (should he live that long, heh), as he learns the ways of the wyrm and how to turn that power against them.

Fairly standard dwarven upbringing, but the negotiable morals and fairly strong inquisitive nature (for a dwarf, in any case) causes a bit of friction, ultimately resulting in his current assignment which is as much penance as duty. His own inclination towards curiosity and somewhat conflicted view on the mountainhomes (as well as the general lack of logistical support therefrom) means that he's currently somewhat lackadaisic in his pursuit of his assigned goal, leading to him being... wherever it is this thing starts up, looking for work, amusement, or leads.

Name is... let me run the NWN name generator a couple times... Semli Conforge.

Izzat alright? Suggestions for improvement, or more detail/etc. wanted?

Woot! First character submission.

Not familiar with Dragon Disciple, but now that I'm checking the description I'm thinking we may have a "no prestige classes" rule. The character bio itself is fine, but forgive me if I have a difficult time reconciling your statement that you were going to avoid powergaming and yet you want a class that the NWN wiki claims is basically one of the most powerful classes in the game with a massive pile of super abilities, several immunities and a +14 attribute points bonus at level 10.

...yeah. I'm going to rule base classes only:

* Barbarian
 * Bard
 * Cleric
 * Druid
 * Fighter
 * Monk
 * Paladin
 * Ranger
 * Rogue
 * Sorcerer
 * Wizard

That said, again, the background itself is fine. How about update it without the prestige class and resubmit. I may have a couple questions to help flesh out the character.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 09:37:21 pm »

Ha, just strike the dragon disciple part off the consideration and keep the rest. I actually hadn't really looked at the prestige class itself yet, it just fit with the initial concept (which is what I meant by no power-gaming, but I apparently stumbled across it anyway). And now that I do, I'm seeing things like an apparently cumulative eight points of strength*, among other things, which yeah, is a little silly. I actually thought it just peaked at +4 strength and +2 cha (and missed the con boost entirely ::)). Depending on who else shows up and how it goes, I'll probably consider multiclassing a bit into either fighter or rogue, though, if leaving it open like that is alright. Pure bard to start with if we start with some levels in the tank, yeah.

More questions is good, though, yeah.

*The only D&D influenced game I've played that I actually remember anything about in regards to building a critter is Incursion, and its class descriptions don't do cumulative like that, usually. Cross system confusion, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 09:38:12 pm »

I expressed interest before but I don't think I can get all my ducks in a row in time.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

foxe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 10:01:59 pm »

Ok, looks like the propose time is a problem for a lot of people. Would 7-10pm PST Monday work better for everyone? That's three hours earlier, but on a Monday. Is that better or worse?

That time works for me quite well.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 11:22:51 pm »

Woot! First character submission.

Not familiar with Dragon Disciple, but now that I'm checking the description I'm thinking we may have a "no prestige classes" rule. The character bio itself is fine, but forgive me if I have a difficult time reconciling your statement that you were going to avoid powergaming and yet you want a class that the NWN wiki claims is basically one of the most powerful classes in the game with a massive pile of super abilities, several immunities and a +14 attribute points bonus at level 10.

...yeah. I'm going to rule base classes only:

* Barbarian
 * Bard
 * Cleric
 * Druid
 * Fighter
 * Monk
 * Paladin
 * Ranger
 * Rogue
 * Sorcerer
 * Wizard

What about other prestige classes, like Dwarven Defender, Champion of Torm, Shadowdancer, Shifter and such. While I personally find RDD a rather meh class with its only saving grace being the huge +14 attribute points, some of the other prestige classes in nwn have nowhere near the bonuses RDD gains.

Shadowdancer's first lvl feat "Hide in Plain Sight" is indeed OP, but the rest of the class is fairly nice. And I like it for the rogue like abilities it grants on the side for chars that didn't multi into a normal rogue. That HIPS feat alone is what makes the SD class OP in my opinion. Though a simple true seeing spell/ability, nukes the feats usefulness.

Palemaster can be OP with the 10th lvl crit/sneak attack immunity, and gobs of extra ac. Honestly I consider PM to be far more OP than RDD. Especially on a melee build. PM actually sorta handicaps a caster build the more you take of it. The extra abilities it gives beyond lvl 10 aren't worth the caster lvls you would lose for it.

RDD, you've already covered has a large amount of the red dragon super ablities and the huge stat bonuses. And any caster attempting to take rdd is going to gimp themselves in the long run anyways. The OP'ness of this class comes from a melee char abusing it, much like they would abuse a PM.

Those are probably the 3 most overpowered of the prestige classes off the top of my head. And do make for strong chars jus simply based on them alone, but like most every class in nwn its how you combine them with the base classes that makes them really shine into the potential behemoths that they can be.

Anyways I can still make a char without them, but jus putting out an arguement for some of the other prestige classes that are actually balanced.

I have done my fair share of power gaming on nwn, and I still know a significant amount of ways to put together some absurd characters. I can give you a fairly good run-down of most any class you want, here or in a pm if you don't want that knowledge out there.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 11:39:20 pm »

Guess that makes up my mind for me whether to worry about becoming a Shifter. :P
Also Monday night actually works better for me than Saturday, so the new time sounds great.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2013, 12:20:24 am »

What about other prestige classes

I'm going to rule base classes only:

* Barbarian
 * Bard
 * Cleric
 * Druid
 * Fighter
 * Monk
 * Paladin
 * Ranger
 * Rogue
 * Sorcerer
 * Wizard

I still know a significant amount of ways to put together some absurd characters.

I'd suggest that everyone focus on making characters they'll enjoy rather than trying to game the system.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2013, 12:38:30 am »

Nathan S. Dudethan

Chaotic Neutral Human Rogue

Nate a locksmith's apprentice in Melvaunt until his master disappeared and said master's property was seized by the Nanthers to pay off his remaining debts.

It turns out that out of work locksmiths have quite a few career opportunities.

Sound good?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2013, 12:40:11 am »

I've received a couple character submissions via PM, but they're generally short on information.

Post with the following:

* Character name
 * Character bio and background
 * Character class
 * If you plan to multi-class, describe what you intend

bad example

I want a play either a rogue or a bard or a ranger. Character name is Kelly. She's neutral good and wants to become powerful. She likes gold.

Good example

Kelly
Female elven rogue, might take up a couple levels of wizard later on

Kelly was orphaned as a child and left on the doorstep of a farmer. That farmer turned out to secretly be a member of the thieves' guild and he raised Kelly to become a rogue herself. Over the years she developed a strong distrust of authority, which was heavily cemented when her father took her into the city where he was arrested by the guards for being a known criminal and then executed while she watched.

Distraught, she infiltrated the guard to identify the executioner of her adoptive father, then snuck into his home and murdered him. Unfortunately while she was successful, she was caught in the act and was forced to flee the town, where she remains a wanted criminal to this day.

Kelly now lives perpetually on the move, living day to day as a thief, and sometimes an adventurer.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2013, 12:41:34 am »

Nathan S. Dudethan

Chaotic Neutral Human Rogue

Nate a locksmith's apprentice in Melvaunt until his master disappeared and said master's property was seized by the Nanthers to pay off his remaining debts.

It turns out that out of work locksmiths have quite a few career opportunities.

Sound good?

This works, but could you expand on that a bit?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9