Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make burrow allerts higher priority than running from enemies...  (Read 1418 times)

Spyton

• Bay Watcher
  • Red Harvest
    • View Profile
Make burrow allerts higher priority than running from enemies...
« on: February 08, 2013, 02:54:48 pm »

Seriously i just lost like 5-6 dwarves because of dwarves just running around from goblins instead of going through the door to the fort and saftey.... So i propose that when a burrow is activated we change their behavior from

see goblin----> run in circles till death
into
see goblin----> dodge enemies till clear/ish path to burrow is open.

Good/bad idea? Already suggested?
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Make burrow allerts higher priority than running from enemies...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 09:27:15 pm »

The problem should be hacked at from the roots, not a single branch.

Dwarves need to be able to think, "I should run to safety. The fortress is safe. Therefore, I shall run to the fortress."
Right now, they think, "There is a goblin in that direction. I will run in the opposite direction."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 12:27:07 pm »

Dwarves need to be able to think, "I should run to safety. The fortress is safe. Therefore, I shall run to the fortress."
Right now, they think, "There is a goblin in that direction. I will run in the opposite direction."

Making the dwarfs intelligent enough to know what is safe alone is probably imposible. The Op suggestion is very, very good.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 12:30:02 pm »

Making the dwarfs intelligent enough to know what is safe alone is probably imposible. The Op suggestion is very, very good.
I can result in other, stupid behaviour.

Namely, players designating burrows outside to get rid of their migrants.

Pathing to meeting zones could be a better idea.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 09:07:05 pm »

Making the dwarfs intelligent enough to know what is safe alone is probably imposible.
You'd be surprised. Even if Toady doesn't add any kind of learning algorithms into DF, there are some characteristics which designate tiles as safe most of the time. For instance, constructed floors typically mean "safe," as do meeting areas, most buildings, and being underground where there isn't any flora growing. None of those are perfect, but they're all pretty good.

The Op suggestion is very, very good.
Not so much...it only helps if you happen to have an active burrow which the dwarves can and should run to, making it only useful in a fraction of circumstances.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 03:23:47 am »

Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 06:49:23 am »

Making the dwarfs intelligent enough to know what is safe alone is probably imposible.
You'd be surprised. Even if Toady doesn't add any kind of learning algorithms into DF, there are some characteristics which designate tiles as safe most of the time. For instance, constructed floors typically mean "safe," as do meeting areas, most buildings, and being underground where there isn't any flora growing. None of those are perfect, but they're all pretty good.

The Op suggestion is very, very good.
Not so much...it only helps if you happen to have an active burrow which the dwarves can and should run to, making it only useful in a fraction of circumstances.

Constructed / Underground / Building is not really good indicator of safety at all, but metting zones generally are.

Also, Dwarf running away keeps goblins distracted - if he ran towards entrance, he could pull then directly there instead of kiting them for few moments, allowing military to get ready.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 01:59:30 pm »

It should hook directly into personality. Dwarves with high discipline or whatever could concentrate on doing what they're supposed to do whereas other dwarves might panic.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 06:48:40 am »

What gold said makes sense but only certant dwarf personalities should affect it as well like if a dwarf has the "doesn't care for anything anymore' the he would ignore enemies or something similar

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 12:52:22 pm »

The fortress is safe.
riiiiiiight
In theory.

What gold said makes sense but only certant dwarf personalities should affect it as well like if a dwarf has the "doesn't care for anything anymore' the he would ignore enemies or something similar
Yeah, obviously it would be a bit more complex than that, but you get the gist of it. If I can outline a general set of criteria that often mean an area is safe, when Toady wants to he can program dwarves to think of an area as safe.
Sig

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 11:34:46 am »

"Run to the dining room/meeting hall" would probably make a decent and simple placeholder until dwarven psychology is handled further.