Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: I'm working on a "Soylent Green"-ish mod, but need a few pointers please.  (Read 13134 times)

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
Re: I'm working on a "Soylent Green"-ish mod, but need a few pointers please.
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2013, 02:44:08 pm »

...you lot all seem very keen to make more work for yourselves :P lol, why mess around with stockpiles, dedicated workshops and such when you could just say "Ok minion-Dwarf-things, turn 20x Plump helmets into Gel...you BETTER not use any other plants -.-" lol :)
Victory Smells So Sweet...It smells like Green Gel and Plump Helmets Mixed Together....

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2013, 02:55:12 pm »

/shrug guess i'm used to it. 
In general i don't like to have 20 reactions where one would do, and stockpile links give you lots of control.  Maybe you want to use everything *but* the sunberries.  Maybe you want to link to a plant refuse pile and use only rotten plants.

Of course this is your mod so you should do whatever suits you!

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2013, 03:12:51 pm »

...you lot all seem very keen to make more work for yourselves :P lol, why mess around with stockpiles, dedicated workshops and such when you could just say "Ok minion-Dwarf-things, turn 20x Plump helmets into Gel...you BETTER not use any other plants -.-" lol :)

Well...It wouldn't be DF if it was easy.

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2013, 06:05:25 pm »

And it wouldn't be a popular mod if it was ridiculous to manage or use. :P lol

It's just another job for me to do rather than a dozen jobs to do each time you change plants :)
Victory Smells So Sweet...It smells like Green Gel and Plump Helmets Mixed Together....

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2013, 09:05:10 am »

Of course this is your mod so you should do whatever suits you!

It's not "My" mod, it's for the community, I'll do what people like :) maybe ill make two versions, but then the micro manage version is just complexity for the sake of complexity.

Sort of like making obsidian out of water and magma pump stacks when there's a whopping vein of obsidian just sat there waiting to be mined out... :P lol
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:07:57 am by Eggman360 »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2013, 11:46:58 am »

Sort of like deleting "make rock blocks," and replacing it with "make alabaster blocks, make bauxite blocks, make chert blocks, make dolomite blocks ..." ;)

not trying to give you a hard time, or convince you to do it one way or the other, just pointing out that there are pros and cons either way.  I still think you should just do it the way you like it, other modders who like your idea will know how to tweak it to suit themselves.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:54:37 am by smakemupagus »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2013, 02:02:16 pm »

Sort of like deleting "make rock blocks," and replacing it with "make alabaster blocks, make bauxite blocks, make chert blocks, make dolomite blocks ..." ;)

Or "forge steel door, forge golden door, etc"?  :P

Seems even Toady couldnt choose the one or the other for everything, this particular one is probabaly due to there not being much of a strategic difference between non-economic stones. Sadly we cant set reaction classes and such in-game, nor can we make those nice branching menus that the forge has.

Still nothing keeps you from just doing both of them. Put a 'use whatever plant you can get' reaction on top and specific ones below.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2013, 03:27:52 am »

Well, the only thing I don't want to see is people using the mod and thinking "screw it' its easier just to setup multiple farms than it is to use this mod and micromanage the stockpile stuff" lol

Granted, this mod isn't meant as a "I want to only harvest loads of only one type of plant, then use that crop to synthesise the other crops to make it easy", its for making other foods in a pinch, turning in-edibles er...edible and recycling rotten food. But if someone (I can't deny I might xD, lol) wants to make one giant farm room for one crop and just turn most of that one into the rest they need that's fine really :)

If it was a simple 1-1 conversion that would be far too easy, at least with the 2-1 I made it might make sense to set up proper alternate and varied farms later. If the thought that "losing" half of the crop to change it to another seems too easy, I don't know how to make it harder, lol

As for the whole "Make rock door thing" actually I WOULD like to be able to specify which materials, purely from an aesthetic standpoint. Yes it is possible to set up stockpile-workshop paths, but just like Grimlocke said, have an "Any Stone option at the top, and specifics below" I totally agree with this and with mine that would be exactly the way I'd like to do it, the general reaction is already written anyway :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:33:07 am by Eggman360 »

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2013, 07:11:01 pm »

Ok! it's finally ready :) all the reactions are in place, and its been tested, and it works fine :)

Anyone willing to have a copy of this mod post on here and check it out, :)

Two workshops,

one is "The Boiling Pot", takes plants one at a time and turns one plant into one gel.
And the other is the "Congealer", this takes two lumps of gel and turns them into ONE plant :)

I just want to thank everyone for the great advice, assistance, ideas and possitive feedback :) Hopefully this is the first mod of many :)

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2013, 12:03:35 pm »

you...ah...gonna slap the code up anytime soon?

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2013, 07:20:03 pm »

Sure sorry, I'll get right on that, it will be up by 4:30 pm GMT (27th Feb)

I wasn't sure if anyone actually wanted it xD lol

I'm not at home right now you see.

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2013, 11:59:36 am »

Here are the files :) enjoy
To use this mod just build the two custom workshops, one (the boiling pot) takes plants and makes them into green in a 1:1 conversion.
The second, called the Congealer, turns that green into plants at a 2:1 converstion.

Plump helmets are a 1:1:1 converstion, so 1x Plump ->1x Green ->1x Plump, just because the green isn't stockpilable right now.

the other plants, for example Pig tails work like 2x Pig -> 2x Green ->1x (any listed plant), ok enough rambling from me :)....

Paste into entity_default
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Paste These into building_custom

Paste these into plant_standard

Paste these into reaction_other

I Hope you all really enjoy this mod, and if anyone makes any changes that improve function or make the mod better, i'll gladly add and change things, enjoy :) and if you wantr to use this mod in a modpack (pfft, not likely :P lol) then feel free, just give me credit :) Happy erm....Congealing?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 02:52:49 am by Eggman360 »

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2013, 02:53:44 am »

...So no-body wants it after all :P lol

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2013, 12:20:22 pm »

give 'em time...I almost guarantee you someone is playing with it right now.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2013, 02:21:04 pm »

If you want peope to find it, add it the community mod list.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6