Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: I'm working on a "Soylent Green"-ish mod, but need a few pointers please.  (Read 13126 times)

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
Re: I'm working on a "Soylent Green"-ish mod, but need a few pointers please.
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2013, 10:04:16 pm »

I've literally just changed the word PLANT (on the reagent and on the other product lines) to CHEESE;

[REACTION:PLANTS_TO_GREEN]
   [NAME:Make green gel]
   [BUILDING:BOILING_POT:CUSTOM_A]
   [REAGENT:A:1:PLANT:NONE:NONE:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:CHEESE:NONE:PLANT_MAT:GREEN:STRUCTURAL]
   [SKILL:COOK]

[REACTION:GREEN_TO_HELM]
   [NAME:Turn green gel into plump helmets]
   [BUILDING:BOILING_POT:CUSTOM_P]
   [REAGENT:A:2:CHEESE:NONE:PLANT_MAT:GREEN:STRUCTURAL]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP:STRUCTURAL]
   [SKILL:COOK]

now the green gel is an item that doesn't get taken to a stockpile, isn't edible but it does get changed to plump helmets perfectly.

one other thing, my dwarves seem very keen on taking stacks of 5 Plants to turn into 5 gel. its still a correct reaction, but should they not be changed one at a time?

But i must say im very pleased with myself, after embarking on a hillside with absolutly no food stocks, after foraging like crazy and "Bioling the plants down" i ended up with 30 plump helmets from assorted above ground plants....

Victory Smells So Sweet...It smells like Green Gel and Plump Helmets Mixed Together....
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 10:07:29 pm by Eggman360 »
Victory Smells So Sweet...It smells like Green Gel and Plump Helmets Mixed Together....

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2013, 10:14:05 pm »

Stacks are changed into equally sized stacks.

It's a plant cheese, so I'm not sure if those are stockpiled correctly...

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2013, 10:51:46 pm »

I've completed the copy and paste section, and am about to test the reactions.

The only downside i can see is the way i can't choose an individual plant to turn to Gel, as that would double the possible number of reactions, of which there are about 18-20 already.

for the time being in the testing stage i'll keep the gel as an unstockpilable, inedible "mass" (and might just change the name to "Biomass" or something, although that name does sound a little too "Sci-Fi" lol.

One issue im having is that the workshop only shows the first 5 reactions or so, and theres no way to go to "the next page" of the reactions list, whats up with that?

Thank you for everything Putnam, You're a Legend :D

If you like i can upload all the raws i've written, if you think this little (slightly broken) mod would be fun? :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:15:28 pm by Eggman360 »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2013, 06:57:48 am »

You mentioned you kept having to generate new worlds, so ill just mention that you only need to generate a new world when you adding materials/creatures/reaction/most other thing. You can modify reactions on an existing fortress (I even tested some reactions with arena mode at first).
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2013, 08:08:04 am »

...in hindsight this information would have been amazing last night :P

But thank you :)

Another "Fun" downside is the in edible green gel is fond of rotting :/ but even when rotted its still usable :) ...silver lining and all that :P

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2013, 11:15:28 am »

Your welcome :P

And just boot out the [ROTS] tag, or use an itemtype that stockpiles well. GLOB maybe? Sounds like a good item for gel.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2013, 11:22:49 am »

wow...just checked back, and Putnam ran you through everything...Curse you Putnam and your ability to do things correctly and in a reasonable amount of time!

One thing I can throw in though...you could try adding a [REACTION_CLASS:GEL] to anything you want to be turned into gel, and in your reaction throw in another [REACTION_CLASS:GEL] after the reagent call.  That way you should be able to pull even withered plants or logs if you want.  You could also try making your gel inherit from FAT_TEMPLATE or PLANT_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE to keep it separate from the materials used to make it while at the same time able to be stored in food stores (Added bonus, as an fats and extracts are gloopy and can get smeared around)

So something like:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:24:54 am by JediaKyrol »

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2013, 01:38:56 pm »

The other major flaw I've found is (my girlfriend pointed this out to me lol) say I want to turn a few plump helmets into pig tails, but I have a few pig tails already, the dwarves WILL grab a few pig tails and turn those into gel, so in place of a generic "any plant to gel" I'm going to have to write individual reactions for each plant -.- it's just a copy and paste situation really.

I'll gut the mod and try the [REACTION_CLASS] stuff.

But I'm going to need to write the individual reactions to stop the "wrong" plants being used i.e

"plump helms -> Gel -> 0.5 of a plump helm" :/ lol

Cheers for the feedback JediaKyrol :) anything to make this better :)

...I feel the need to ask...Does this seem too "cheaty" to anyone? Lol or just damn useful? :)

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2013, 01:55:42 pm »

nah, it's a 2-for-1 reaction that also takes time ( a lot, because there are two separate reactions as well as time required to haul the items back and forth.)

Edit:  Hmm yeah, accidentally consuming the items you are trying to make would be bad, and yes the only solution is extreme micromanaging in one direction or another.  You either make a unique reaction for every single plant, or forbid everything but what you want broken down at the time(but that has to be watched or you'll end up leaving crops in fields to wither or people starving because they aren't allowed to eat).  My way was a bit more "cheaty" than yours...bots ate grass and pooped foodgoo which had a chance of being made into up to 12 new plants...only balance were the bots were horrendously expensive in caravans, didn't breed, and took a while before they made more stuff.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 05:19:44 pm by JediaKyrol »

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2013, 11:54:01 pm »

Ill have to make unique reactions for each plant to gel, but once I actually make them (practically copy and paste lol) it will be 1000x better for it. Once I've fixed the properties of the green gel (most likely back to an edible + stockpile...able item) I'll make all new reactions.

Does anyone know why my workshop only shows about 5 of the reactions I've made? It only shows plants to gel, Gel to helm, Gel to Pig tails, Gel to Pig, Gel to wheat and Gel to Wood, but no others. :S I wrote like 15, but I can't seem to make the rest :(

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2013, 11:59:02 pm »

You probably didn't put them ([PERMITTED_REACTION:xxxx]) in the entity file?  Or a typo we can't see from here?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 12:01:26 am by smakemupagus »

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2013, 12:16:34 am »

I'll double check once I get home (me and my girlfriend are on holiday) but I'm certain they're all fine, but I'll know for a fact on Wednesday.

It's nothing to do with the fact some of these plants are "above ground" ones is it?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2013, 03:20:45 am »

You either make a unique reaction for every single plant, or forbid everything but what you want broken down at the time

Can't you just use stockpile links?  (small stockpile of plump helmets only that exclusively takes from the main plants pile and gives to the Green goo cauldron)?

I'll double check once I get home (me and my girlfriend are on holiday) but I'm certain they're all fine, but I'll know for a fact on Wednesday.
It's nothing to do with the fact some of these plants are "above ground" ones is it?

I doubt it, why would that matter?   But enjoy your holiday! :)

Eggman360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Green Gel Mod
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2013, 04:27:01 am »

The way I see it is I could do a bit of work on the mod in the "build" stage, and save us all time while using the mod, I'll just make more reactions, that would make the game easier to manage and play instead of us all having to micro manage during play, I'll just make the extra reactions and make a second workshop, one from plants to gel, and the second from the gel to plants (the one that exists now).

And for the "above ground plants" thing, I don't know, something about the entity_default file makes products very by race very specific, like how dwarves only posses certain items to trade or embark with...I just thought that's what it's all based on xD.

And thanks, it's great so far :)

Just want to thank you all for the amazing feedback you've all given so far :D

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2013, 09:41:51 am »

You either make a unique reaction for every single plant, or forbid everything but what you want broken down at the time

Can't you just use stockpile links?  (small stockpile of plump helmets only that exclusively takes from the main plants pile and gives to the Green goo cauldron)?
dorp...forgot about locking stockpiles to workshops... ... ... that's been in for what...a year now?  man...once the next version comes out...I'm going to forget how to chop down trees.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6