Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goddamn Elves.  (Read 2870 times)

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goddamn Elves.
« on: February 08, 2013, 02:27:51 am »

I was running a regular fortress with all the basic essentials and a content populace. The fort was prosperous, producing a large amount of gold, platinum, and aluminum. All was well. However, one day 4 goblin sieges decided to show up all at the same time. "Coincidentally" the elven caravan arrived at that time as well. Now, either i could just let the elves die and face a later war, or let the elves in and risk the goblins getting in. As the goblins were decently far away from the door and the elves were pretty close, i risked the second option. But when i opened the door to let the elves in, A FIFTH SIEGE POPS UP. Where exactly? 1z level almost directly above the door. When the goblins came in and started slaughtering the population, I knew what i had to do. I recruited every able bodied person in the fort and sent them, without weapons, to painfully beat the elves to death. Yes, the fort was slaughtered. Yes, I probably brought war to my dwarves' kingdom. Yes, I probably should've used the dwarves to kill the seige and save everyone instead of lynching elves. But you know what? In the end, those goddamn elves went down with us.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

Insanity X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goddamn Elves.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 02:56:34 am »

And the lord said unto John, "Come forth, and receive eternal life." but, John came fifth and received a toaster
Urist McMason, Mason cancels Build Important Wall: Making rock mugs.
It was inevitable.
My succession world turn.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 03:18:43 am »

And that is why i dont care 'much' about elven caravan, if they happen to be outside during a sige, their problem. not mine.
If they die and even just THINK on attacking my fort for their stupidity fine with me, their problem.
If they want war i will erase their culture just as the goblins.

I really like elves, in other game gernes. But if they turn against me this is the first and last error they are able to do.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 05:44:00 am »

Now, either i could just let the elves die and face a later war, or let the elves in and risk the goblins getting in.

You wouldn't have faced a later war. Twelve slaughtered caravans aren't reason enough for the elves to go to war, much less a single one. And that's the reason why advanced fortress design takes care to keep the trade depot separate from the fort proper - so you can offer a haven for the caravan without endangering your population.

But as far as the story goes - nicely played. I guess the goblins will consider capturing you and making you a member of their society, because you made such an effort to overthrow the awful dwarven government - by sending unskilled civilians into the line of fire, with an order not to fight the invading foe but friendly civilians. Very dwarfy.

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 06:16:47 am »

LOL
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

Helgrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 06:50:57 am »

I don't ever have this problem because I have a bridge on the outside of my fort, then a room with the trade depot in it, then a set of doors to the main fort (the whole arrangement is lined with traps). If a siege or ambush follows a trade caravan, I lock the inner doors and let the trade caravan in and close the bridge behind them.

This also works very well the other way around, letting the traders out to be slaughtered by goblins, and sometimes defeating the siege for me. This is how most of my "trading" is done in one of my forts where sieges are more common than trading caravans.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 02:53:42 pm »

Elf caravan suck during sieges because the elves are no help at all, and in the end you have to keep forbidding dwarves from risking their lives gathering wooden swords and wooden puzzle boxes scattered liberally around the map. Single top reason to have a magma device. Just puil a lever. What elves? What goblins?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 03:17:48 pm »

Elf caravan suck during sieges because the elves are no help at all, and in the end you have to keep forbidding dwarves from risking their lives gathering wooden swords and wooden puzzle boxes scattered liberally around the map. Single top reason to have a magma device. Just puil a lever. What elves? What goblins?
You could make the entire surface a restricted area and create tunnels below ground that lead to bunker entrances around the map.  They should then path to the bunker closest to what they want to gather, then path back to the bunker once they've picked it up.  It will take quite a few bridges in the tunnels to properly seal off the tunnel network, however.  Of course, that just makes it more dwarfy.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 03:46:45 pm »

You could make the entire surface a restricted area and create tunnels below ground that lead to bunker entrances around the map.  They should then path to the bunker closest to what they want to gather, then path back to the bunker once they've picked it up.  It will take quite a few bridges in the tunnels to properly seal off the tunnel network, however.  Of course, that just makes it more dwarfy.

Yeah and burrow alerts help too, but the f.p.s. killing useless clutter remains :(
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 03:55:30 pm »

You could also use those tunnels as simple goblin grinders with a pressure plate and a retracting bridge over a pit.

PTTTTTTTTTTBBB+++

P is the pressure plate, T are the traps, and B is the bridge.

Trolls can't destroy pressure plates, can they?

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 04:37:05 pm »

I have two pieces of advice:
The first is for everybody everywhere do this right now. Go to orders->Forbid and forbid everything on death. Forbid your dead, forbid all death items, all of it. This will massively reduce sock fetching deaths and other idiocies. In conjunction with proper burrowing, this makes a massive headache into remembering to mass un-forbid your trap corridor after the siege is over.

The second piece of advice is for the OP: Next time, just leave the elves outside to die and/or flee. Your relations with the elves (and the humans) can survive a lost caravan or two. Don't risk your fortress for those treehuggers.
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 04:40:20 pm »

I have two pieces of advice:
The first is for everybody everywhere do this right now. Go to orders->Forbid and forbid everything on death. Forbid your dead, forbid all death items, all of it. This will massively reduce sock fetching deaths and other idiocies. In conjunction with proper burrowing, this makes a massive headache into remembering to mass un-forbid your trap corridor after the siege is over.

The second piece of advice is for the OP: Next time, just leave the elves outside to die and/or flee. Your relations with the elves (and the humans) can survive a lost caravan or two. Don't risk your fortress for those treehuggers.
But ... but ... if you forbid items on death then the Temple of the Sock won't work correctly to cull the weak dwarves from your population!
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 05:48:27 pm »

Elf caravan suck during sieges because the elves are no help at all

Last game I played I enabled elf guards because it bothers me to pick up their litter when they die. It was fun to see a bowelf hold down a squad of ogres while the traders sneaked in. I wonder why they aren't on by default.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 11:25:37 pm »

Elf caravan suck during sieges because the elves are no help at all

Last game I played I enabled elf guards because it bothers me to pick up their litter when they die. It was fun to see a bowelf hold down a squad of ogres while the traders sneaked in. I wonder why they aren't on by default.
Whoa, you can enable elf guards? Can it be commanded through DF Hack? teach this grasshopper the ways of conjuring the sacred Legolas. And his lineage.
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 07:23:14 am »

Just add

[DIPLOMAT_BODYGUARDS]
   [MERCHANT_BODYGUARDS]

to the elves in entity_default.txt.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...
Pages: [1] 2