Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 28

Author Topic: Duskfields (My Little Fortress)  (Read 48523 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Duskfields (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #195 on: March 31, 2013, 01:56:56 am »

, Epaulette, Bascinet and

Finally having a reason to talk to Redhat other than to discipline him, Praetorian leads the two other members of his squad, the twin mares, to visit him in the hospital, calling off training for a time.

The door to the room that Red was resting in was left closed. Inside He was laying on a bed, reading and old book while his fluffy dog on the bed with him, napping away.

Bascinet pokes her head in the door investigatively, Epaulette right under her, also looking in. “Hello? Is zis ze right room?”

Praetorian opens the door fully, and leads the two in. “Hello, Redhat. It’s good to see you not needing to be disciplined this time,” he says.

Redhat gave praet a Rather desultory stare, and tried to think of a snide comment, but gave up when none came to mind. “Oh.... the feeling’s mutual.”

Epaulette looks between the two. “You two seem to have some... bad blood.”

Bascinet nods. “If you want us to leave...”

“Oh, goodness no. Redhat’s doing a lot better than he has been.” He smiles a little, at last. “It’s good to see that, Redhat. You’re improving.”

“You say that as if I had a terminal illness.” Bonnet made a soft whimper and rose her head, noticing the the other ponies in the room.

Epaulette reaches out to pet the creature, while Bascinet shies away from her. “Such a... nice dog?”

“Essentially, yes.” The dog nuzzled at Epaulette, before trying to move off the bed and say hi to Bascinet. The poor thing was having a difficult time getting over to her. “*sigh*”

Bascinet carefully moves forward, cautiously offering a hoof when she gets close enough.

“No, Redhat, not a terminal illness. You’ll be out of bed pretty soon, in fact, the sawbones says,” says Praetorian with a smile.

“Oh... sorry, I thought you were talking about something else.” The dog nuzzled at the mare softly.

The twins still seem to be more enamored with the dog than the stallion in the bed, and Epaulette is even hugging Bonnet at this point, while Bascinet is still carefully stroking at her head.

“Well, girls, this is the stallion you’ll be working with in the squad,” says Praetorian, still with that smile.

The two look up. “Oh, yes... sorry.” They rise, Epaulette picking up Bonnet and carrying her back to the bed.

“I am Bascinet,” the mare introduces herself, “And zis is my sister, Epaulette.” She points to the other, who’s still cuddling Bonnet.

“Oh.. well hello there.” he says with a smile. The dog nuzzled Epaulette, happily. “I’m glad to make your acquaintance.”

“It is nice to meet you, too.” Bascinet taps Epaulette with her hoof, making the mare look up. “Oh, yes, it is nice to meet you... what is your name, again?”

“This is Redhat, thus the hat,” says Praetorian. “He’s another novice spearpony.”

The two nod. “Well,” Epaulette starts, “it has been said that we are ze best ponies at polishing spears in our old home. So, if you ever need your spear polished, we would be glad to help.” Both of them give big, happy smiles, apparently proud of themselves.

“Oh...” The pony was about to commentate on their skills using his mastery of satire, but reminded himself of more recent talks with Serenity. “Oh... well... um.. I guess I’ll see to it you um... assist me with my spear some time.” he said awkwardly.

“Heh,” says Praetorian with another little smile. “Oh, no. Maize is plenty good at polishing my spear,” he continues.

Bascinet looks to him. “Who is Maize? Another soldier?”

“Oh, no. My wife. A lovely little mare. You should meet her. I’m sure you’d like her,” he says.

“Oh, yes. That would be nice.” Bascinet smiles.

Epaulette chimes in, too. “It is good to know that your wife is willing to help take care of your gear.”

“Oh, she’s very willing,” he says, smiling a little to himself. “Very willing.”

Redhat rolled his eyes “Captain, please never go into comedy.”

“I don’t need to go into comedy,” he says. “I’ve got a lovely supportive wife, and a steady job.”

Neither Bascinet nor Epaulette seem to get it. “Am I missing something?” Bascinet asks.

“Ah, well. Perhaps Maize might be the best pony to explain that to you. Just that... ponies use spear polishing for a slightly different thing here, as well as what you know of,” says Praetorian.

“Actually, I think one of the doctors would be best suited to explain to you such... inappropriate things.”

“Inappropriate?” The two mares look to one another, worry on their faces. Epaulette speaks first. “We... did not do anything wrong, did we?”

“No, no. It’s not to worry, girls. The ponies who matter will know what you mean...and those who don’t, don’t matter.” He scratches his head a little. “Still, you’re not from around here, are you? Where did you come from?”

The two smile, glad that the ‘inappropriate’ subject had been left behind. “We are from Lointain. It means ‘Far’ in our language. It is an ironic name, because it is actually ze capital of our homeland.”

“Oh, so you mean you weren’t born in the civilization?”

Praetorian studies them as they answer. Maize was also from another civilization, and the three might have a little in common they might talk about.

Bascinet shakes her head no. “No, we were not.”

Epaulette chips in. “Our father moved us to your homeland when a war broke out in ours. We have never been back.” She sighs. “Sometimes I wonder if it is even still there.”

“Yes... it is distressing to not be in your homeland.” Praetorian nods. “Maize might, perhaps, be a good pony to speak to. She too is from a foreign land, and you might have some things in common.”

Bascinet nods. “Yes, zat does sound nice.”

“Well, I can still assume being somewhere foreign is still more peaceful than a war torn and shattered nation.”

“Yes, that is true. It’s a sign of your good character that you’re willing to call this place your home, and defend it as you are,” says Praetorian, nodding happily.

“Daddy said that many ponies liked to come to our homeland before ze war.” Bascinet smiles again. “There were many soldiers, especially. He said that it was because we had very good weaponsmiths, who were very good at polishing their weapons.” Her smile falters a little. “We wanted to be weaponsmiths, too, but we were only good at using the weapons... and polishing them.”

“Well... sorry to hear that.”

“You might get a chance at learning how to make weapons soon, especially if the metal veins are as rich as the miners have said. With that aquifer pierced, I have no doubt there will soon be enough metal for us all,” says Praetorian with a gentle smile.

“I spose’, Though i’d honestly prefer we hit gold over anything we’d use in weapons.”

“Non, platinum would be much better. It is more rare, and valuable.”

“Yes, but if we hit gold, odds are there will be more if it, hence a better pay off.”

“Hmm... perhaps diamond, zen.” Epaulette smiles. “It can be sold for money or used for weapons, if you know how to work it right.”

“Either way,” says Praetorian. “If weaponsmithing is what you’d prefer, I have no doubt there will be the opportunity for you to do so here.”

They both smile, though Epaulette speaks up. “Zat is not another thing with another ‘inappropriate’ meaning, is it?”

“Ah, no,” says Praetorian, shaking his head. “If you do talk to Maize, she might be able to help you with the...ah, inappropriate things,” he says, a slight hint of red colouring his face.

“I hope so. I would hate to say or do something inappropriate and upset ze people here.”

Bascinet nods. “Agreed.”

“I...I don’t think you’d be upsetting them, so much,” he says, “as giving them a false impression of yourself. Again... Perhaps Maize would be better able to explain this to you.”

“Or a trained pony in the field of anatomy.” stated the red hatted pony.

“A...anatomy?” The twins begin to glow red. “Is zat what zis ‘inappropriate’ stuff is all about?”

“I am afraid that that is what may be taken to be the case. I...” He hesitates for a second. “I can but say that I would be uncomfortable discussing it with you, and Maize may be the pony best suited to this.”

“Please, can we stop discussing this?”

“You’re the one that keeps bringing it up, Redhat!” says Praetorian.

“Actually, I think zat last one is my fault.” Epaulette is still blushing. “We would like to assure you zat we are not *EXPLETIVE DELETED*, zough. Our daddy kept us far away from such things.”

“I don’t doubt he did. If I had fillies, especially as sweet as you are... Well, anypony who would try to do that would be well warned against doing so,” says Praetorian.

“I honestly didn’t make the assumption that you had such a scandalous career...”

“It... was not exactly a ‘scandalous’ profession where we came from,” Bascinet replies, “but still... it is not a career we would be very interested in.”

Epaulette nods. “We believe zat *EXPLETIVE DELETED* is an act of love, not some easy way to make money.”

“um... yeah...” annnnd things just got a little awkward for red. “Anyhow...”

Bascinet takes the cue. “Uh, yes, how is your recovery from your injuries? I cannot wait to be able to see you at training, I am certain you are skilled and will be able to teach us much.”

“Meh, I dunno. I just assumed I was here until case study decided that the effects of his medicine wasn’t going to have some other effect on my well-being.”

“Ah. Well, I hope he declares you are better soon. I cannot imagine zis is a fun place to stay.”

“Well, as long as I have my dog, it’s actually half decent.” annnd then the giant ball of fluff gave The captain a nuzzle.

Epaulette smiles. “You have a very sweet dog.”

“why thank you.”

“You are welcome.” The pony rises. “It would seem she needs her rest, though. She did seem to have some issues trying to get out of ze bed.”

That seemed to make the pony’s mood deflate. “Oh.. no amount rest will fix that..”

Epaulette stops smiling, as well. “Oh... what is wrong with her?”

“She got mangled by a bloody ogre.”

Epaulette nods. “Zat is... sad. I hope she is at least happy being able to spend time with you.”

“Bonnet’s always been a very...loyal dog,” says Praetorian.

“yeah...Well, this has been one lovely visit but it’s probably for the best of things I can get back to resting. ”

Epaulette nods. “I wish you and Bonnet well.”

Bascinet also nods. “As do I. I am sorry for what happened to her.”

“me too... anyway, I wish you a good day”

“You too.” The twins wave and look to Praetorian.

“Good day, Redhat. I’ll talk to you again later, I think.” He nods a goodbye to him, and then turns to the mares. “Come on, girls. I’ll take you to meet Maize now, if you like, or I can show you around the rest of the town.”

“Either would be fine, sir.” The two follow their leader.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 02:11:17 am by Dsarker »
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 31, 2013, 04:19:19 pm »

Hey can I claim Prodd the unicorn markspony? If it's not too much trouble that is... sorry for not staying in touch with the Dawnpick crew and not noticing this thread sooner, apparently I had been busy or something at some point. "And thanks for reading all of this, if you did; and sorry for babbling on like a moron..."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 31, 2013, 05:19:31 pm »

Hey L1wW! You should get into the IRC, same one as we used for Dawnpick.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 31, 2013, 08:03:15 pm »

Sure, Prodd is yours.  I'll set that up right away.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 31, 2013, 10:24:13 pm »

Ill take Yari the pegasus marksman, and if possible, change her name to Lightning Runner.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 31, 2013, 10:45:21 pm »

Great. Functionally useless. I'm guess there was nerve damage to the legs then.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 31, 2013, 10:56:05 pm »

Diary 6

Too much to write about right now. Heads been hurting for a long time now.

Ow. It's been a real pain. Smooth helps a bit, however.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 31, 2013, 11:38:22 pm »

Ill take Yari the pegasus marksman, and if possible, change her name to Lightning Runner.

Actually... I probably should have mentioned that she's a special case.  Since she's supposed to be from Dawnpick (my old community fort related to this one) I was hoping she might be relevant to the plot in some fashion.  If you've read Dawnpick and want to play as Yari, you can have her.

Otherwise, I'd prefer if you took another pony.  There are a few other untaken marksponies if you want them, although no pegasus mares.  Aventail is an example of one you might want.  If none of the existing marksponies fit the bill, I'm okay with converting another pony into a markspony and renaming them to Lightning Runner, if you want.  I can even adjust their age or marital status if you want.

Great. Functionally useless. I'm guess there was nerve damage to the legs then.

Only one leg, from what I recall.  He's just got broken bones in the others, as far as I know.  So he'll probably be a tiny bit slower than the others, but he can still hold his weapon and fight.  :D

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 01, 2013, 02:13:39 am »

,, and

Praetorian is sitting down in his little room, praying to the Lares and Eudaemones of the house, when he hears a light knock at the door,. “Come in,” he says.

Serenity opens the door, trotting inside. “Hello there, Prae. I heard you were finally moving in with Maize?”

“Yup, that’s the plan,” he says as he stands. “You come here to help?”

“I did.” She smiles. “But I suppose there won’t be much to it. Neither of you have all that much to move.”

“Yes... I’ve never really seen much point in getting lots of ‘stuff’ to keep around,” admits the stallion.

Serenity giggles, and pulls him into a hug. “So, where should we start?”

Maize walks up. “Sorry I’m late. Little Mountain Dew was trying to hang onto my head for dear life.”

“Maize!” Serenity pulls her into the little group hug. “Glad to see you could come. With the three of us, this shouldn’t take any time at all.”

Praetorian, though enjoying the hug, is the first to break it. “It’s good to see you, Maize dear. We only really have a small bit to take across, you don’t need to exert yourself here.”

“Alright. Don’t skimp out on me, at least.” She wobbles a bit as she stretches her various muscles. “I might be pregnant, but that doesn’t mean I can afford to be lazy. I’d hate to go back to work and not be able to do as well.”

“Well, if you’re sure,” he says. “But really, there’s not much to move. Only a few small things, really.”

Serenity nods. “Okay, why don’t Maize and I start by stripping the bed, while you pack away the shrines in the corner?”

“That sounds a good idea,” agrees Praetorian.

Maize nods and moves over to the bed, starting to remove the sheets. “You get the other side, Serenity.”

Serenity does as she is told. “You know, I’ve seen both your rooms. Wouldn’t it have been easier for you to move in here?”

“It’s not like I have that much less stuff. His shrines are the only thing he has that I don’t, and the rooms are the same size.” Maize peels away the bedding until the mattress is completely uncovered.

“Yes. And Flamberge wanted this room, apparently.” Praetorian shrugs a little.

Serenity quirks an eyebrow. “But doesn’t he live right next door? Surely the view can’t be that different over there.”

“Sounds more like he wants to knock the wall down and make his room bigger.” Maize pulls the mattress off and starts looking over it, trying to see how they’re going to carry it to her room.

“That sounds awfully selfish. There are families who don’t even have rooms to themselves yet.” She goes to help Maize with the mattress. “Try rolling it up, I’ll find some cord to hold it together.”

Praetorian nods, a little. “Well... It is his right, as the commander.”

“I wouldn’t say it’s his right, personally.” Maize starts to roll the mattress. “But if Temperance says it’s okay, we can’t really object. We definitely couldn’t make a ruckus as bad as Flamberge, no matter how hard we tried.”

Serenity locates two sturdy lengths of rope in Praetorian’s chest, and ties up the rolled mattress. “Still, it isn’t like you two need that much space, even with a foal on the way.”

“Yes, I don’t think we will need much space.” Praetorian smiles. ‘And that might keep Maize from trying to put me and Serenity together, which will be a bit of a relief to myself.’

“Honestly, these are pretty big rooms. I think all three of us could fit in one, even with a few foals running around.” Maize perches the mattress on her back.

Praetorian flinches, a little, but manages to hide it somehow. “Hmmm, I’m not so sure we would.”

Serenity shows a little blush, but manages to hide it. “Oh, Maize, let me get that.” She moves beside Maize and tries to take the mattress.

“If you’re taking the mattress, I’m taking the frame, and I dunno which is heavier,” Maize points out. “Like I said, I’ll be fine, the work is good for me, and healthy moms produce healthy foals.”

Realizing that the frame would indeed be heavier, Serenity relents. “Okay. I’ll take the frame, then.”

Maize nods gratefully. “Anything else I can grab, Prae-Prae? I can hold something small in my mouth, at least.”

“No, I think that will be all. I can take these,” he replies. After a second, he says “Well, it might be good if you could grab my spear in your mouth.”

“I’m pretty good at that, aren’t I?” Maize jests, before picking up the weapon.

“I cannot tell a lie; you are indeed quite good,” teases Praetorian back.

Serenity blushes brightly, quite certain that such comments aren’t meant for her ears.

Maize looks over and giggles a little. “You’re allowed to tease too, you know. You’re sort of like a part of the family, anyway.”

She blushes even brighter. “Oh, I-I wouldn’t know anything like that about either of you...”

Maize lifts her tail, brushing Serenity’s face gently with the end of it. “Oh, I’m sure you have something to share about me.”

It is now Praetorian’s turn to go bright red, and he makes to leave with the idols.

Maize’s smile fades a little. “I... really wish you two were more comfortable around each other. It makes me feel bad when I make you guys embarrassed.”

Serenity steps in, leaning against Maize. “I know, Maize. But... we just aren’t ready for that. It’s not your fault, I promise.”

“I know. And I’m trying to be patient.” She looks up to Serenity. “It just sorta stinks when I can’t really mess around much because it gets everypony flustered.”

Serenity takes one last glance around to make sure nothing has been left behind, then takes the opportunity to give Maize a gentle nuzzle, lifting her chin. “Well, you and Praetorian can mess around all you want in your new room.”

Maize chuckles a little at that. “I probably will.” She nuzzles Serenity. “Don’t think I’ll forget about you, though.”

Serenity beams, unashamed now that Praetorian is out of earshot. “Of course. I never thought I’d be so glad to have that couch.” She leads Maize out, and down to her room.

Maize stays beside Serenity, helping her keep the bed frame steady. It doesn’t take too long to catch up with Praetorian. “Hey, Prae-Prae.”

“Hey again,” he says, turning his head a little to steady the idols on his back.

Maize, being the one with the least worry about dropping her burden, takes lead so she can open the door. “It’ll be sorta nice having everything in one room. We’ll be nice and cozy.”

“Oh, I’m sure we will,” he says, smiling.

Maize pops open the door and moves aside, letting the other two enter first.

Praetorian stands to the side, letting Serenity and Maize go through first.

Seeing that both of her friends have stood aside for her, Serenity blushes and makes her way inside.

Maize stands for a second or two longer, but decides that Praetorian is not going to move first and heads in.

Praetorian follows Maize in afterwards.

Serenity sets the frame down and proceeds to assemble it beside the one already present. “Well, Flamberge and Crosshair may have a more spacious room, but you two will have a much bigger bed.” She blushes, “I-I suppose you two will be putting it to good use.”

Praetorian, who is busy setting up the idols in the corner, freezes, his face bright red.

Maize giggles a bit. “Yeah, we probably will. I’ve heard I tend to toss and turn a lot in my sleep, so Praetorian will probably want to be as far away from my flailing as possible.”

Praetorian’s face begins to resume its normal colour. “Oh, well, yes, perhaps.”

Serenity forces a grin. “Yes! Yes, that’s it.” She moves to help Maize with the mattress.

Maize finishes placing the mattress and starts working on the sheets with Serenity’s help. “Good to know I can still keep everypony happy, at least.”

Praetorian finishes placing the idols down, and, almost without anypony seeing it, takes a copper piece from a pouch on his side, and lays it in front of the largest idol.

Maize barely notices his movement, and it doesn’t register in her mind that it might be important, seeing as everypony is moving at this point. She continues to tuck the sheets until they’re finished. “Alright, that’s done. Not often you can move an entire room in one go.”

Serenity sits back, looking over the whole room. It certainly looked much more lived-in now. “I wouldn’t know. This is only the second time I’ve had to move anypony.”

“I’ve helped with a few moves as an odd-job. One of the ones I liked more, honestly, and the people who I helped liked me doing it, too.” She sighs contentedly. “Other ponies that got hired would usually try to sneak stuff off instead of moving it all, but I never did that. A lot of ponies ended up paying me a little extra for being trustworthy.”

“I can’t say I’ve ever really moved places. Never had a very permanent home in the army,” says Praetorian.

Serenity looks at each of her friends. “Well, how do you like it? Anything you’d like to rearrange?”

Maize looks around at the room. The lack of decorations and minimal furniture, plus the immense space within, means that the room has little need for rearrangement. There’s just not anything to rearrange. “I think it’s fine as it is. It’s not like there’s much to move.”

“I don’t see anything that should be rearranged,” says Praetorian, before a little smile comes on to his face. From a side pouch he takes two small boxes, hiding the second as best he can and sliding it across the ground to behind Maize’s hoof and tapping it lightly, while the first he moves across to Maize in plain sight. “Maize, I made a little something for you. I was saving it for our engagement...but, well...” The box opens, and inside is a black opal necklace. “I also see you’ve made something for Serenity,” he says with a quick wink.

Maize looks at her own gift with a happy smile and a “Thank you, Prae-Prae,” before she grabs the other box and hands it, a little hesitantly, to Serenity. “Here, I hope you like it...”

Serenity’s breath quickens, and a slight blush creeps into her cheeks as she sees that the box Maize has given her looks precisely like the one Praetorian just presented to her. Slowly, she lifts the lid. Inside is a citrine ring. “Oh, Maize...” She smiles up at her. “It’s beautiful.

“Th-thank you...” Maize half says it to Serenity, half to Praetorian, as she blushes happily. She puts on her own necklace and watches Serenity put on her ring.

Serenity takes a moment to admire the jeweled band around her fetlock, before pulling Maize into a hug. “Thank you very much, Maize. I’ll wear it always.”

Praetorian smiles happily to himself. This would surely work.

Maize hugs her back. “I can’t really take all the credit... Praetorian helped a bit in getting it. He used his money from being a soldier to buy the gem.” She looks up at Praetorian, curious if she’s actually right.

Praetorian goes along with Maize’s little lie. “Yes, that’s true, though I didn’t know what you wanted it for.”

Serenity begins to process his words. “Maize... this is a bit more than just a token of friendship, isn’t it?”

Maize nods. “I... I really do love you, Serenity. I don’t really know if they’d let us marry one another, since I’m already married to Praetorian, though... but we’ll always have each other anyway, right?”

Slowly, a wide smile creeps across Serenity’s face. “...Yes, we will. Always.” She leans in closer to Maize, but seems to hesitate.

Maize smiles as well, moving her own mouth forward and pressing her lips to Serenity’s, letting them part just a bit as an invitation.

That is all the encouragement Serenity needs. She leans into the kiss, holding it as long as she can.

Praetorian turns his head away, and back to his idols, with a little bit of a sad smile on his face.

Maize lets Serenity take control, just enjoying the kiss for as long as it lasts.

After a few moments more, Serenity breaks the kiss. Noticing Praetorian staring off into space, she releases Maize and gives her a gentle nudge in his direction.

Maize nods silently and slinks over to her husband, carefully wrapping her forehooves around him while trying not to alert him. At the last second, she grips him in a hug and gives him a big kiss on the cheek. “Thank you so much, Prae-Prae. I’ve actually got a gift for you, if you’d like it.”

“Hmmm?” he asks as he turns around. “Sorry, I was just...uh, thinking.”

“Don’t think too hard, now.” She gives him another kiss. “I asked if you wanted my gift for you.”

“Oh, of course,” he says. “What is it?”

Maize gets up and goes to her drawer, pulling open one of the shelves. From it, she pulls a small cloth bundle, and brings it to Praetorian. “This is very special to me. But you’re more special to me, now, so I really want you to have it.”

Praetorian looks at the bundle. “What is it?” he asks.

“It’s not much. It was my mother’s, you might be surprised at what it is.” She nudges him. “Go ahead, open it up.”

Praetorian slowly opens up the bundle, being careful not to damage the cloth. It’s not the cloth that turns out to be special, though, it’s the gleaming blade held within, its hilt decorated with gold and gems of many kinds, colors and cuts and its guard inscribed with runes.

“It’s made of silver. I know it’s not your weapon of choice, but... I want you to have it.” She looks up. “It has tasted the blood of evil, and hopefully, with you using it, it might one day protect you from such things.”

Praetorian lifts the blade, looking at it with a sense of awe. “It’s... amazing,” he whispers, turning it over.

Maize smiles. “You like it?”

“Yes... it’s beautiful. Not as beautiful as you, of course, but still a prized weapon,” he says.

Maize carefully hugs him, trying to avoid being too aggressive with the weapon still held between them. “I’m glad you like it. Thank you, Prae-Prae, so much. You’re the best stallion a filly could ever ask for.”

Praetorian carefully puts the weapon to one side, and hugs Maize tightly. “I love you, Maize. There’s naught else I could do.”

“You have a good point, there.” Maize kisses the stallion, even more deeply than she did Serenity just a moment ago. “You already do so much for me.”

Praetorian answers that with another kiss, holding it deeply.

Serenity just sits on the sidelines, happy to let the pair have a few moments together without her butting in.

Maize keeps going, pushing against Praetorian until he falls back onto the bed and lying on top of him.

Serenity blushes hard, but still manages a slight giggle as she slinks towards the door.
Nothing important here, move along.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 01, 2013, 02:34:30 am »

and

This was all very, very bad.  Max had nearly been killed, and several others were badly wounded because of this. 

Temperance was sitting in his office, staring at a map of the settlement and trying to figure out if things could have gone better if they had prioritized things differently.  The wall on that side should have been finished first.  That’s where the discordants came from last time, after all. 

In the back of his mind, he knew he was forgetting something... something that was very important.  But he wasn’t a strategist... this wasn’t his problem, directly.  There wasn’t anything he could have done to prevent this.

With that thought there is violent pounding on his door.  He nearly leaps out of his skin at the startling event, but quickly regains his composure.  There could only be one pony responsible, and he had a feeling he wouldn’t like where this was going.  He jumps up and opens the door.  “Commander?”

Sure enough Commander Flamberge stands outside the door,  he seems to be barely maintaining a great deal of anger.

"Mr. Temperance we have much to discuss," he says nearly simmering.

“O-of course,” Temperance replies.  “C-come in.”  He sits in his seat and directs Flamberge to his.  His heart was beating a thousand times a minute now, and he could feel a cold sweat coming on.  This couldn’t possibly end well.  “What is it?”

Flamberge takes his seat and commands through suppressed rage,  "Report on how you have been handling my orders regarding the town's defenses since our previous talk."

“Uh, well...”  Temperance clears his throat and waves a hoof over the map.  “We’ve, ah, all but finished the wall.  I, uh, guess you’ve noticed that already.  And the equipment for the soldiers.  We’ve, um, repurposed enough for almost everypony to have a full suit of armor.”

Flamberge locks eyes with Temperance,  "That isn't what I asked and you know it.  I want you to tell me that you made the defenses your top priority to the exclusion of anything else, and then try and convince me that nothing you could have done different would have prevented Crosshair from taking that beating, or Scimitar being crippled. Because right now I'm not sure I like your progress, Mr. Temperance."

Yep, he was definitely sweating a bit now.  He expends a bit of effort keeping his voice level as he replies, “Wh-what was I supposed to do?  We’ve been using every spare plank to build the wall.  And I can’t conjure more metal out of air for weapons and armor.  Believe me, I’ve been making our defenses my first priority.”

Flamberge nods but hIs face remains sceptical,  "On the 20th of Limestone, I witnessed Wood Chips and Veneer putting up walls in the hospital.  That wood and time could have been spent finishing the northern wall and kept out the non flying threats, or to fulfill my order for crossbows and bolts, the griffin could have been armed.  The soldiers could have had covering fire."

Temperance’s eyes widen ever so slightly as he mentions the crossbows.  That was what he’d forgotten...  “The... the hospital?  Yes, that’s, uh, true.  I considered it to be a part of the defenses, since if anypony got hurt they’d need it worse than the walls.  And it was right there at the wall and all...”

"And the weapons?" He questioned.

Temperance’s ears droop a hint.  “The crossbows... were finished last month.  The quivers weren’t finished until last week.  And... the ammunition orders are still outstanding,” he answers honestly.

"And what have those who made the bows been doing for a month then?  Surely you had some ammunition ready. Why wasn't it available?" Flamberge continues his interrogation.

“W-we did have some.  About a hundred bolts, but they were all reserved for Cross Hair and her marksponies.  We needed another five hundred to equip everypony with a quiver’s worth each.”  He nervously taps his forehooves together.  “There... was a clerical error there... Cross Hair has been making all of her own ammo, but nopony else has been making any.  So... the carpenters ignored the work order for a long time while they worked on the walls.”

Flamberge stands looking down on Temperance, across his desk,  clearly trying to intimidate him and says, "A clerical error that might have cost Scimitar, a promising recruit, his ability to walk ever again. I hope you will explain your mistake to him, personally."

Temperance shies away.  The intimidation was quite successful.  “I-I’d planned on checking up on him and all of the other wounded as soon as the doctors allowed me.”  He looks up at Flamberge.  “And the problem has been sorted out, I assure you.”

"Good." He states coldly, "I hope we don't need to have any more talks like this one Temperance. Unless you have anything else to report, now,  I am going to check on my injured mare."

“No.  No, that’s all,” Temperance responds, sinking back into his chair.

Flamberge exits slamming the door behind him.  As he does, Temperance lets some of the almost palpable tension leave him in a drawn out sigh.  He covers his face with a hoof and takes a few minutes to calm down.  Flamberge was right, but he was becoming so afraid of the stallion he had no idea how he was going to continue working with him.  Well, he wasn’t going to the hospital right now, if Flamberge was there.  He stares into the map for a few moments, and decides to get back to work on making sure that everything was perfect for Flamberge next time.  And he’d start thinking about how he was going to possibly apologize to those in the hospital...

Kryptid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 01, 2013, 03:07:35 am »

Later that day, after having revealed his role in the parasprite invasion to Temperance, Case Study had gone to the tavern for dinner. It was one of the few times that he had actually arrived at a decent time of day, since today he hadn’t felt much like dabbling in hobbies or studying. As he stood in line, he came to an unfortunate realization; Cream Puff would probably take it as her job to sanitize the tavern herself after hours, so he couldn’t exactly hope to take care of things after everypony had gone to bed. Somehow, he was going to have to convince her to let him do it for this next week. Was there any way to do that without telling Puff the reason for it?

Puff smiles at Case Study and waves at him, surprised to see him show up at a decent time for dinner.  “Heya Case!  Hunger actually motivated you to come get something instead of waiting for me to bring you something?  And not chew your ear off about it?”  She smiles and gives him a friendly wink as she says that.  “So, what can I get you?”

He feigned a smile of his own, “Heh, I do suppose that I haven’t quite conquered that poor habit yet, have I?” The stallion had been too distracted to properly decide what he wished to partake of, “I...I don’t believe I’m feeling too choosy today. Is there anything that you might recommend, Ms. Puff?”

“The soup came out great today.  A bowl of that and some bread sound good?”

A couple of blinks later, that seemed to click with him, “Yes, that will be satisfactory. It has been a rather long period since I last consumed soup. Don’t feel any need to rush it, if the meal of another in line can be prepared more promptly.” Case wasn’t exactly in a hurry.

Puff gives him a look that wonders how such a smart pony can be so silly.  It literally takes her seconds to get him his food, as she simply ladles some nice hot soup into a bowl and grabs a fresh roll for him.  “Here you go!”

It certainly smelled like the pick-up that he needed, “Thank you, Ms. Puff.” He stared at the bowl for a moment as he fidgeted. “I...understand that you are busy at this hour, so...do you suppose that I could have a word with you once the bulk of ponies have eaten? There’s something that we need to discuss. Preferably, I would like to do so with some degree of privacy.”

Puff raises an eyebrow at the stallion, then nods.  “Alright Case.  It usually quiets down around sunset.  I should be able to take the time to talk then.  Sound good?”

“That will do. I will see you then, assuming that I’m not called away in the meantime.” It took the doctor the better part of an hour to polish off his food, and often rested his head on a hoof in thought. Not having much else to do, he simply waited out the crowd until Puff had some free time.

As she predicted, she stays fairly busy until sunset.  She does a few basic cleaning jobs behind the counter, mostly making sure all the dishes were accounted for and sitting by the sink, then heads out into the tavern proper.  “So, Case.  Is out here good, or do you want to talk in the kitchen?”

There were still a few ponies chatting at the tables, so his decision was an easy one, “The kitchen is probably best.” Once the two were out of sight of the other residents, the skinny pony started, “You are normally the one to clear the tavern of trash and filth after hours, yes? Well, this request may sound a bit unexpected, but do you suppose that I may fill in for you this week? This is something that Temperance wishes for me to do.”

Cream Puff gives him a slightly confused look.  “I do, usually.  Why does Temperance want you cleaning up?”

That was the logical question to ask, so it was by no means a surprise that it came up quickly. “That...is a bit of a sensitive subject...” He absolutely hated lying, so he didn’t want to make up a story. Besides, what kind of fable would make sense here? It’s not like he could be doing it for fun or because he had prospects of taking a job as a janitor. “Ms. Puff, are you capable of keeping a secret?”

Puff’s confusion shifts more towards concern.  “Absolutely.  What happened?”

He put a hoof behind his head and glanced away from her, “To be blunt, it’s a punishment. I did something foalish and a couple of our fellow soldiers were harmed because of it. I’m not exactly sure I should say what it was, but I can assure you that it will not happen again.”

Puff blinks a few times, wondering what Case could have done.  It must not have caused much actual harm to the soldiers, she’d expect something like that would carry a far harsher penalty than a week of cleaning duty.  After a few moments, she nods.  “Well... alright.  If it’s a punishment, I can make sure you’re punished.  I have pretty high standards for the cleanliness of this place, after all.”  She pauses before continuing.  “...you’re sure you don’t want to tell me what happened?”

“I suppose I might as well...I don’t want you thinking that it was because of medical malpractice or anything concerning my profession.” Case knew how much Cream Puff loathed parasprites, so he was prepared for a potentially extreme reaction, “I’ll keep it short; I secretly kept a parasprite in my office. It managed to get free, ate some food and plants that I had been keeping , subsequently multiplied and generated the swarm that hit Duskfields yesterday.”

She tilts her head at him, looking like he just spouted gibberish instead of his typical eloquence.  “You what?  You what?!  Why?!”

He folded his ears against his head, “Please, Ms. Puff, not so loudly...” he looked around to discern whether or not anypony else had taken an interest in their conversation, “I thought it might assist me. The parasprites have unusual powers and I sought to uncover their secrets for the sake of advancing the state of art of medicine. Consider how quickly they create offspring after consuming a meal; with such fast growth of new tissue, I believed that they could be of great value in the healing practices.”

Puff flares her wings and paces, trying to not totally lose her temper at her friend.  “They’re pests!  What were you going to do?  Transplant a bit of parasprite into somepony?”  She paces as she whispers loudly, trying to burn off some energy without smacking Case across the face.

“That...was one of the problems. I was never able to figure out exactly how it worked, especially since I couldn’t look at its internal organs as it was reproducing. In the end, I didn’t learn much other than the correlation between how much food mass it takes to produce new parasprites and that they can chew through certain metals.” He shook his head, “Now you see why I don’t want this to become public knowledge, especially not to Mr. Redhat and Mr. Scimitar. I won’t be keeping any more of the creatures. Anyway, are you alright with me taking over your post-cooking duties for the next seven days?”

Puff slows her pacing, but still looks upset with Case Study.  She gives him a wicked grin.  “Oh, you bet I am!  You’re going to be making sure every surface in this place is clean enough for surgery!”

Case nods in sorrowful agreement, “Yes, yes, I will do my best, Ms. Puff. I don’t believe in doing a job half-heartedly.”

“Good!  You can start with the dishes over there!”  She turns and heads back to the counter, in case anypony decides they’re going to eat late tonight.  “Parasprites... sheesh...”

Sighing as he accepted his fate, the doctor got to work; at least he had prior experience with cleaning up things that would make most other ponies wretch.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 01, 2013, 11:07:38 am »

Actually... I probably should have mentioned that she's a special case.  Since she's supposed to be from Dawnpick (my old community fort related to this one) I was hoping she might be relevant to the plot in some fashion.  If you've read Dawnpick and want to play as Yari, you can have her.

Otherwise, I'd prefer if you took another pony.  There are a few other untaken marksponies if you want them, although no pegasus mares.  Aventail is an example of one you might want.  If none of the existing marksponies fit the bill, I'm okay with converting another pony into a markspony and renaming them to Lightning Runner, if you want.  I can even adjust their age or marital status if you want.

I did not read Dawnpick, but thanks for letting me know, I'll take Quarrel instead, keep the marital status and change his name to Lightning Runner. If you'll excuse me, I will be checking out Dawnpick.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 01, 2013, 04:33:02 pm »

Ok, cool.  Quarrel is yours!  If you do read Dawnpick, just fair warning that your in for a long read unless you stick to the updates linked from the first post.  :)

Amorack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 01, 2013, 04:40:12 pm »

Ok, cool.  Quarrel is yours!  If you do read Dawnpick, just fair warning that your in for a long read unless you stick to the updates linked from the first post.  :)

Well, seeing as their avatar is from Fallout: Equestria I don't think Iceblaster minds long reads haha.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 01, 2013, 09:39:34 pm »

Well, seeing as their avatar is from Fallout: Equestria I don't think Iceblaster minds long reads haha. :)

I don't mind them, as long as the thing I'm reading isn't filler 50% of the time, I generally enjoy them
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 28