Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28

Author Topic: Duskfields (My Little Fortress)  (Read 47840 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Duskfields (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2013, 09:40:27 pm »

and

Maize seems out-of-place as she wanders through the training area for the militia, searching for Praetorian.

Praetorian is busy moving through the drills with Redhat. Spear rattles against shield, but when he spots Maize approaching, he raises his shield and knocks the spear down into the ground. “Redhat. Go and get something to eat and drink. We will resume training soon.” Without waiting for a response, he moves over to Maize.

“Miss Maize, it’s good to see you again. Did you need something?” he asks.

“I’m sorry to bother your training,” Maize responds as she looks down and gently shies at the ground, “but I found this...” She holds up a small note. “I know it’s addressed to me, but I can’t read half the words on it.”

Praetorian gently lifts her head with a forehoof. “It’s okay. You aren’t a bother, Miss Maize,” he says. “Now let’s take a look at this note together, hmmm?”

Maize’s lips curl into a very small smile as she nods. “Alright.” She opens up the note and shows it to Praetorian, looking at it as well. “Miss Maize, you are cor... cord...”

“Remember. Separate the sounds. Cor is the first, so what’s the second?” Praetorian says.

“Di? Al... ly. Cor-di-al-ly.” Maize raises an eyebrow. “What’s ‘cordially’?”

“It’s the fancy word for ‘nicely’, or ‘politely’,” says Praetorian. “Good job. So what’s the next word?”

“In-vit-ed. Invited. To a party.” Maize’s eyes widen. “A party? Here?”

“That’s what it seems to be,” says Praetorian. “Is there anything more?”

“Seems to be directions to the party.” Maize shrugs. “I don’t think we’ll need them, unless they’re holding it in the woods for some reason.”

“Does it say who will be hosting the party?” Praetorian asks.

“Wood... Chips...” Maize looks around the small village. “That’s one of the carpenters, isn’t it?”

“Sounds like it,” Praetorian agrees.

Maize sighs. “I... don’t know. Why would somepony I hardly know invite me to a party?” She looks around again, more shiftily. “Am I the only pony who got an invitation? Is he... planning something?”

“I don’t know. If you want, I could find out for you, or come along with you, if you’d prefer,” says the soldier, “but I think if he tried to do anything to you, there’d be a lot of ponies very angry with him, and I among them.”

“Y-yeah, you’re right.” Maize seems to perk up a little. “I shouldn’t be so distrustful, anyway... it’s just, this isn’t the first time I got an invitation like this.” She shudders for a brief moment.

“Hey...” Praetorian puts a hoof on her withers. “Hey. What’s wrong?”

“Some... noble invited me to dinner, once, while I was on the street.” Maize shakes her head. “I should have known something was up. After all, I was a hobo. What would a noble want with me?” She sighs. “Thank Amug I don’t drink alcohol, turns out he put opium in the wine. He... wanted to violate me. I managed to get out before his servants could get me... I left that town fast.”

Praetorian clasps the mare in a hug. “You don’t need to worry about that anymore. I...I mean, we won’t let that happen to you. Ever.”

Maize nods and presses her head into Praetorian’s neck. “I know... thank you. For teaching me how to read, for protecting us...” She grins. “Being my friend...”

“I don’t have too many friends that I would miss the opportunity to be your friend, Maize. You are an amazing pony. I hope you know that,” says Praetorian.

“So are you.” Maize pulls back, but not before giving Praetorian a peck on the cheek. “I hope you know that.”

Praetorian freezes for a second at the kiss, but recovers as quickly as he can. “Well, I can’t argue with you there,” he says, with a little grin starting to form.

Maize smiles back. “I think you should check around for an invitation of your own. I doubt Wood Chips wouldn’t want to invite you, too.”

“I’ll give it a look,” says the stallion. “Sure wouldn’t want to miss it.” Not for the world, he thinks to himself.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2013, 09:46:52 pm »

Double post, my bad.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:12:09 am by Dsarker »
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2013, 04:17:00 pm »

Commander Flamberge Field Journal 7th Limestone, 269

We've had a couple of sightings of strange red dust storms, they give me a bad feelig. Whatever they are, they aren't normal weather. I considered instituting a Weather Patrol draft and having the pegasi help me blow them away, but not knowing what they are, and that they have not come towards the town yet, I have not yet done so. I'll keep my eyes open for any heading towards the town though.

Commander Flamberge Field Journal 22nd Limestone, 269

Praetorian ordered Redhat to dig the defensive trench in place of Smoothblock. I asked him about it, and he said it was a disciplinary action, for insubordination. A bit surprised to hear that, I probed deeper, but after getting the full story I believe Praetorain did well and I certainly agreed with the punishment.

Addendum: Looking over Redhat's work,((and Telgin's pic of it mostly)) I'm not really happy with it. It's a trench, sure, but the sides are too smooth. This won't do to keep anything out. Still, it isn't his job it was his punishment, and he did the majority of the work, I'll see if I can get Smoothblock to finish the job and get us a more sharp wall, ((Remove those ramps!)) at least on the inside of the trench, that should keep the animals out, though we'll need the carpenters to put together an improvised bridge for us, preferably something we can collapse quickly if needed. I'll talk to Temprence and the others.

Commander Flamberge Field Journal 22nd Limestone, 269

Parasprites attacked the town today. I gathered the militia and we tried to defend the food stores. Ponies tend to underestimate these little blighters, I assume because the small body and big eyes they find them rather cute. But those things are not cute. I've seen a swarm of them tear a full grown war trained dog to pieces in minutes. They rarely attack living things, but when they do, they are like flying, colorful, land piranha.

I killed a lot of them, the strange thing is, I can actually remember doing it. It is fuzzy, but I kept control, mostly. I know Crosshair was there by me, through the whole thing, I think she might have been worried I'd go berserk. Her being there did help I think. She only shot one of them, though that is likely because she was trying to keep an eye on me. Redhat made some jokes about her not wanting to get "bug-guts" on her. I told him to stuff it.

((Yeah, I put words in Redhat's mouth, Jaxler. You got a problem with that? You wanna fight about it? Do you punk?

....Seriously, though if you do have a problem with it, I'll edit it out, but it seemed in character to me. I'd have asked you first, but you weren't online at the time and I wanted to get this up.))

Commander Flamberge Field Journal 2nd Sandstone, 269.

It's been a awhile since Cream Puff's last tantrum over the lost prepared food, she has calmed down a lot since then. Today though, I noticed she didn't show up at the kitchen at all. I am going to go look for her now. I hope she is not feeling ill.

[Space reserved for a possible edit following the scene with Cream Puff.]

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2013, 04:44:58 pm »

Crosshair's Diary: 7th Limestone, 269
*this entire page have been scribbled with nonsensical doodling*
Ȟͨ̃ͯͦ̋îs̯̋ ̭̙̞̔̿ͨ̑̒͘bͥ͜ͅṛ̺͍̼̬̙e̛̖̭̞͕͉̼̹ȃ͍̣̤̝͔͗̾̚t͇̜̮͓̥̣̓́͊̀h̺̫̟̗̙̭ ̗͚̜͓̈́c͓̟͎͋̿̎ͫ͘ȯ̳̥͓̟͘n͏̭̤͚̹ͅs͌ͬ̓͆űͤ̄̍̿͛҉̻̪͇̪̺̘͓ṁ͙̜̒͢e̵͓̱̦s̯̬͖͉̜̻̃ ͍̲͑ͪ̈́̍̽́a̶̞̿͗͒͊̑̑l̞̥̖̥̟̉̐͟l̻̗̠̣͚̽ͤ̚,̰̣̺̓̏͒ͅ ͈̺͖͖̟̌͂ͬ͜ṱ͎̳͈̥͍̤̏̕h͔͓͎ͫͧ̓̈́̕e̛ͥ ͇̲̣͎͎͌̇m͊̈́͋̈́ͣ̀ā̬̘̖̒͛̎ḓͤ̊͒̂͟d̗͉̘̦̩̀̈̈̒i͓̞̺͋ṉ̨̈ͯ̇̉g͎͇̤̞̠̥̓͝ ̖̣̪̜̥̦̝͐̃ͨ̄̍̎ͯr̮̤͉͂̀ͮͯ̑̂̃e̿̈́͗̐d̋̽̓̽͗̈́ͫ҉̣̙̹ ͇̞̭͕̬͙̲̈p̡͉͈̹̜̑̇̑͋̿ͧͅaī̓n̦͚ͩ̆,̪̯̱̩̀̈́̓ͤ͌ͬ̄ ̡̫̟̱̻̍͆̽̃hͫǐ́̾̾҉̰̗͎̞͔s̖̺̬͕͑̋̋̽ͤͩ̿ ̫̫̰̿ͧͣ̃̎͒̍͞c͖͓̬̩ͭͭ͑h̖̹̙͉͕́ͫͮi̠̔̈ͣ̎̋ͫl͎̤̫͕ͅd̯̘̹̩̻̃ͫ̾̅ͧ͋ͧȓ͖ͧ̂͆͐ḛ̹̰͕̭̽̃͊ͬ̈́̔͗ñ̝͓͉͓̮ͮ̾͗ͩ͊̕ ̢̞̙̯́ͅͅw̶̩̍ì̾l͍̊͂̏ͪ̚͞l̡̯͉̂ ̗͔͘â͚̻̠̤̓̾̾̾̀r̦͔̝̋̆͑͆ͧͮ́i̫̋̇̿̅̑́̚ş͇ͮ̍e̩̓ͪ̔͒ ̱̖͕f̈́̓ͬ̂̿r̹̹̘̦̰̃ͫo̬̘͎͞ͅm͎̱̗̊͐̎ ̡̻̣̤͈ͩ̐̌ͣͬt̩͇h͔̣̳̭͕ͬ͐̒̿̌ͣe̎ͥ͒̍ͬ̑̚҉̹̖̩̳̗͔ ̞͗ͭ̂̐̆ͪͨv̧̻̠͓̲͉̱ͮ̿͗ͮͦͧȯ̤̪̪̳̘̱ͮͤ͘i̛ͅd̰̠̭̤̳̖͌ͤ̔̽̀ͅ ͔̫̟̺͕̼̾̓to̺̤̒͂̓͘ ̹̑͂s̻̫̬̮̲̪̿ͭ̌̒̑́͂p̟͖̥r̴̥͕̲̯̮ͣ͑͂̽̆͗ͅea͊̈́ͪ̿҉̙d͇͓͛̒ ̛͔̩̭̜͍̹̖̐̓ͨ̽̊̓̚h̹͈̟͓͋͑ͦͨ͐͘i̥͛͒̊ͦ̋ͦ͌s͇͚̥͓͎̘̪͑̋͋̏̿ ̶̔͑͌͆̋w̬̳̗͕̺͉ͧ̐͐̍̀o͏͇r͕͕͓̗̰̭ͫ͐̀d̗̜̰̻͓̣̫ ͣͬ́̒̓o͆͊́ͦͩ͝f̲̝̞̗̫ͤ͟ ͎͎̪͛̌͒ͦͬ̈́h͔̰͍̟͈̓̍ͯ͑i͚ͮ͊̾s̝͍͕̪̝̋̐͡ ̴̺̞̩͖͓̬̟̈̇̾ͬ͒g̶͋ͭl̺͔̳̆ͧ͊̋͞õ̜̟̺͙ͤ̆ṛ̣͍͌̚͢i̶͔̥͕̗ͅo̍͑̾ȗ̱̕s̮̦̖͇̤̜ ̆ͯͦͮͯ͆̈́͏̲c͑͆͗͊ͯo̶̤͉̫̺̗̤̹ǹ̯̫̗̻̩͉̭̾ͣ͐ͣ͢s̎ͪ̊̀ͭ̅ŭ̺͕̗͕̞̘̲m̌̉̈̂ͮ̚i͔̮̮ͬ́̈͌̀n̮͖͎͙̮̘͈̉̉ͭ̕ğ̗͍̰̖̩͍͋͆ ̺c̟̦̗̜͚͙͛ͮͥͨ̑͟h̸͇ͣͧ̍ͯ̈ͣã̪͙̻̼̝̮͓̎̐ȯ̹̪̠͔̠͎ͯ̓̊̌ͭ͞ŝ͈̫̰̤̤̜ͦ́ ͉̪̒̈́ͬ͒̓ǎ̐͋n͎̼̞̺ͮ́ͭ͜ď̤͚̟͍̰͕͓̍̃̂̉͞ ̳̖̙̹͕̯̳̉ͩ̾͒̄b̢̹̬͚̆l͉̣̘̳̅͌̏o̳̤͉̻̘ͫ͊͗͆ͫo̝̮̖̝̗̱̥d̫͔̳͔ͅ.̡͉̰͎͂

Crosshair's Diary: 8th Limestone, 269
Yesterday was very weird, I can't remember writing and drawing all these.. stuff.. on the diary. I think I might need to go talk to somepony about this..

Crosshair's Diary: 12the Limestone, 269
I feel like I haven't been talking to everypony so much lately, been so busy training myself. I should go find somepony to talk to, Maybe Creampuff would enjoy it.

Crosshair's Diary: 22nd Limestone, 269
Apparently Somepony ordered Redhat to dig a trench around the fort. It's weird, I don't think it'll stop any flying things from flying over the trenches, but I guess it'll be better than nohing. This reminds me, I should get to know the other militia ponies aswell sometimes.

Crosshair's Diary: 23rd Limestone, 269
Parasprites raided out town yesterday! Ate months worth of food and made off with even more! I feel sorry for Creampuff that her sammich are stolen.. I need to go talk to her soon. Also, I've been keeping eyes on the Commander when we fought those things, Only had time to shoot one of those little bugger, Was a pretty good shot too! Those little things are hard to hit.

Crosshair's Diary: 13th Sandstone, 269
Creampuff haven't calmed down since that Parasprite attack, Today I saw her kicked a chicken and toss it out of the way with her wings! I really want to help but I don't think I can do much.. Perhaps I should wait a little longer..

Crosshair's Diary: 1st Timber, 269
Well, looks like I don't have to calm my friend up afterall, apparently she went to talk with Serenity about stuff and that calmed her down, Mare's good. I think I need to visit her sometimes, talk about that weird page of stuff I wrote a while back.. And now I can talk to Creampuff again! We're going to have /so/ much to catch up on.
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2013, 11:30:53 pm »

Flamberge had not seen Cream Puff all day, it was very unusual for her not to be in her kitchen. The ponies of Duskfield had to eat leftover bread and raw veggies for dinner. Not that it bothered them much, being ponies.

Flamberge approached the private room of Cream Puff, and stops to listen at the door before knocking.

Quiet sniffles can be heard from the room beyond.

Flamberge knocks on the door gently, “Cream Puff?” he says.

A squeak of the bed and a muffled moan are his only answer.

“Cream Puff? It is Flamberge, may I come in?” he asked, growing increasingly worried about the mare.

“Go away...” comes Cream Puff’s voice, sounding absolutely miserable.

Cream Puff was clearly unwell, and this sat poorly with Flamberge, he was however, never very good at dealing with other ponies, he considers how to respond and the reasons for which she could be unwell, after a moment he says, "Cream Puff, what is wrong? Are you ill? Do you want me to fetch a doctor?"

“No... I’m fine...” she lies.

Even Flamberge can see through such a transparent lie, "Cream Puff, you don't sound fine. What is the matter? I'm your friend Puff, you can talk to me about it, whatever it is."

He can hear sniffles through the door.  It sounds like Puff is trying to hold back bawling like a little filly.

"Puff. It is my job to keep all the ponies in town safe, and that includes from themselves. I am concerned for you and want to help, but if you can't talk to me, is there anypony else you want to talk to? Dr. Serenity? Crosshair? Temperance? I will drag them down here by the scruffs of their necks if it will help," says Flamberge, beginning to suspect that she won't open up for him.

“I don’t want to be a trouble!” she wails, losing it and obviously crying into something now.

Flamberge looks over the door to judge its strength and momentarily considers bucking it off it's hinges, but decides to restrain himself and says, "Cream Puff, please, I'm your friend, and I just want to help however I can, it is no trouble. If you just...unlock the door, we can just talk for a while. About whatever you want. Just please open the door."

She just babbles through her tear unintelligibly.  Something about chickens?

Flamberge tries the door and finds, to his surprise and relief that it was unlocked, “Good thing I didn’t buck it,” he thinks, as he opens it and sees Cream Puff looking a mess on her bed.  Her swollen eyes widen as he enters, and she turns to try to hide herself from him.  All she really manages to do is let him see just how messy her mane has become, almost like she didn’t even get out of bed today. 

Flamberge closes the door behind him, the small room illuminated by a pair of candles on a nightstand by the bed. Flamberge sits on the floor a few feet from the bed, he considers what to say.

Puff curls up and scoots away from Flamberge, still crying her eyes out.

Flamberge, reaches out a hoof and touches Cream Puff on the shoulder. "It's okay Puff. Whatever it is that happened, it will all be okay."

She whirls on him and wraps him in a tight hug as he pours her tears into his mane.

Flamberge returns her hug, holds her tight, and just lets her cry until she is ready to speak.

She holds him and bawls for quite some time, occasionally babbling nonsense as she tries to explain what’s wrong.  She eventually cries herself out, but not after leaving Flamberge’s shoulder a soaking mess.  She sniffles and finally lets him go, though she still looks rather fragile.

"There," says Flamberge, "Do you feel any better now?"

“Only a little...” she says, sniffling.

“Do...do you want to talk about what was wrong?” asks Flamberge cautiously.

She shakes her head.  “No... but I think I need to...”

Flamberge nods, “Take your time, I can stay all night if need be.” He forces a smile.

“That’d... that’d be nice, ‘Berge.  If you’re not busy, I mean.  I just...” she chokes up again, but manages to not dissolve into tears again.

Flamberge puts a forehoof around Cream Puff again. "Just take your time."

She holds his hoof and gives it a gentle nuzzle, nodding.  After a few more sniffles, she starts talking.  About everything.  About the parasprites, her rage, claiming a room and being too frightening to be kicked out of it, and too much trouble for Temperance and the paperwork of her just giving it up, the poor chickens, everything.  She holds nothing back, and paints herself in a rather dim light, finishing with her simply not having the motivation to even get out of bed today and causing even more trouble for everypony by not getting them a fresh meal, and...

Flamberge nods and listens intently as she spills out all of her problems, when she finishes he says, "Cream Puff, you are a wonderful mare, and you have nothing to beat yourself up over. You were angry, you lost your temper, the chicken was not seriously hurt, they will forgive you. It happens. I’ve...well... and nopony blames you for taking a day off, you haven't taken one in the months we've been here. You deserve some time to yourself."

“But...” she protests weakly, still looking like she might burst into tears at any moment.

"No buts." says Flamberge forcefully, "You are taking tomorrow off work, there is enough bread and raw vegetables to go around. You are taking the day off, but you aren't going to spend it in here. Crosshair and I were going to go fly down the river tomorrow, you are coming with us."

Puff’s lip quivers at that.  “But... I don’t want to interrupt you two...”

Flamberge shakes his head, "You won't be. The three of us will go and have some fun, and you'll feel better afterwards."

Her lip quivers again, but the corners of her mouth curl upward slightly in a smile.  She hugs him again.  “That... that sound nice.  Thanks, ‘Berge...”  She punctuates her happiness with a kiss on his cheek.

After the kiss Flamberge is momentarily stunned, but then returns the hug and kisses her forehead.

A moment passes "You've been in here all day right? Would you like me to bring you some water, or juice, maybe some food?"

Puff’s cheeks color slightly when he kisses her forehead, and she simply nods at his question.  Her stomach takes the moment to growl, confirming that she hasn’t even left to get something to eat.

“I’ll be right back then.” says the stallion as he stands and exits the room.

Puff just curls back up on her bed as Flamberge leaves, feeling small and alone.

A knock at the door, “Cream Puff, I’m back.” says Flamberge before opening the door. He is carrying a tray of food, mostly fruit and vegetables with some leftover bread, enough for two ponies, and two full glasses of juice.

She unfolds slightly at the knock, but still looks a mess as he brings her the food.  She scoots over to give him room to join her on the bed.  She hadn’t realized what hungry work crying was. 

He places the tray upon the bed between them. She eagerly digs in once he sets the tray down.

Flamberge helps himself to some of the food as well, but makes sure to leave plenty for Puff.

In surprisingly short order, the tray is finished off, with Puff having eaten most of it.  She stretches and yawns, the combination of sad exertion and full belly making her want to sleep.  “You’re... going to stay the night, right?”

Flamberge blushes, "Oh, well, if you want yes, I'd be happy to."

She nods and puts the tray on the side table to join the candles, then scoots back and lays down behind Flamberge, obviously tired.  “Good...” she murmurs.

Flamberge's mind raced. What was it she expected now? She was Crosshair's best friend, surely she just wanted him to stay there, and be close by. But, should he sleep on the floor? The bed? What was the protocol for this situation? He had no idea.

"So, uh, where should I, um..." he stammers unable to put his racing thoughts into words.

She sleepily grabs him and forces him to lay down in whatever he happens to be wearing, snuggling into him like a big teddy bear.  “Jus’ like this...”

Flamberge is once again stunned, but after gives in and once more holds Cream Puff tight as she falls asleep, himself following shortly behind.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2013, 12:01:09 am »

and

Praetorian, with another day’s training finished, resolved to go to the kitchen, to see Cream Puff. There was something that had begun to bother him, as of late, and he thought she might be able to help.

Puff is indeed at her post, though she looks a bit more subdued than normal.  She does brighten up a bit when she sees him, though.

“Ah, miss Cream Puff. It’s good to see you. I’ve been looking for you.” Praetorian approaches, and sits down. “Tell me. Most of the cooks I’ve known have gotten to know their...well, customers, clients, what-have-you, reasonably well. So...What do you think of me? And of Maize?”

She gives him an odd look, then thinks.  “Well... You’re strong, diligent, and organized, but can be a bit rigid and less than receptive to new stuff.  And Maize is nice to a fault, and timid, but she can really come through for a pony when they need it most.  Why?”

“It’s... It’s nothing, really. Just...Just curious about how other ponies think about her and I,” said the soldier.

She eyes him, measuring him up.  “And I have a horn.” she says flatly.

“I don’t know what you mean,” Praetorian protests.

“I forgot to mention you’re a terrible liar, Praetorian.” she says with a grin.

“I’m not lying. There’s nothing going on between us,” says Praetorian, still denying everything.

Puff’s eyes twinkle as he says more than he probably wanted to.  “I knew it!  I’ve seen you teaching her to read!  You like her!”

“I... Yes, I like her, she’s a good friend. There’s nothing more than that,” says Praetorian defensively.

Puff waggles her eyebrows at him.  “Not that you’ve noticed, you sly dog you.”

“What do you mean?” he asks.

“Well... OK, I haven’t actually noticed anything more going on yet, but I haven’t been looking.” she admits with a shrug.

“Good. Because there isn’t anything going on,” Praetorian says. “There’s nothing to notice. The most that happened is she kissed me. But that was as a thank you, nothing more!”

Puff lets out an ear-splitting squee!  “She kissed you!?  And I missed it?!”

“Ow. Not so loud. Yes, she kissed me. It wasn’t romantic or anything,” counters Praetorian.

Puff rolls her eyes at him.  “Oh yes, I’m sure.  The most timid pony I’ve ever met, kissing you, totally doesn’t mean anything.”

“...good, now we’re on the same page,” says the unicorn.

“Lying to yourself about her can hurt her, too, Praetorian.”

“I won’t hurt her, Cream Puff.”

“Then stop lying to yourself.”

“...I...I can’t do this.”

She gives him a gentle smile.  “Sure you can.  Just take it nice and slow.  And be honest.”

“It’s...It’s not just that. I... I’ve just come out of a relationship. That’s why I came here. I... I’m not ready, I don’t think.”

“Well, that’s your problem.  Don’t think.  This is love!  You have to listen to this...” she points at her chest,  “...and ignore this!” she points at her head. 

“I... I can’t just do that. That...That was what I did last time. And it didn’t work...” He bows his head.

“You can try a different way, but I’ve seen brains make way more mistakes in love than hearts.  The risk of part of what makes it worth going for!”

“I...I don’t even know what I did wrong...”

“Well, it might not have been you, then.  She must have done something serious, you don’t seem the love ‘em and leave ‘em type.”

“It...It still hurts.”

She gives him a sympathetic look.  “I know it does, hun.  I’m not telling you to dive right in.  Just ease into it, take it slow.”

“...and what if she doesn’t even care anyway?”

Puff just barely manages to avoid rolling her eyes at the stallion.  “Because Maize is an uncaring pony.”  She then dials back the sarcasm a bit.  “Then you’ll still have a good friend.”

“I... I suppose I can try.”

She beams at him.  “That’s all anypony can really ask.”

“Still... Please, don’t tell anypony about this,” says the soldier.

“About what?  All you did was ask for some lunch.” she says with a wink before setting about making him something to eat.

“Thank you.”

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2013, 12:03:32 am »

Veneer got his things together, remembering where he had seen Smoothblock last time he decided it was a good idea to ask her out. He went over to the hole that was being dug and watched as the dirt flew up and out of it. "So, Smoothblock. i was wondering if it was an appropriate idea to take you out to lunch again."

The dirt stopped being flung out of the long hole for only a moment, before Redhat looked up to veneer. “Sorry but I don’t swing that way.”

"Oh! I am-," Veneer paused for a moment as he looked at the pony in the red hat. "Who are you?"

“I’m Redhat, and by the way, you’re doing a great job hitting on somepony”

"I was not hitting on anypony. I was asking a friend out to lunch. I thought Smoothblock was digging this moat."

“Yes and she’s a mare, and you are a stallion as far as I can tell, I just two and two together.”

Veneer looked at the pony with a bit of confusion and realized how it seemed, and held back his tongue. Instead he decided to change the topic."Can you help me put two and two together?"

“sure why not, probably interesting than digging a hole all evening.”

"Actually, it involves that. Smoothblock was supposed to be digging this hole. Why are you here?"

“Cause’ I made my captain angry.”

"Oh. . . . S-should i be talking to you then?" He asked with a bit of confusion in his voice. He didn't want to violate any laws.

“No-no, it’s fine so long as it seems like I’m having a horrid time if my captain comes by.”

Veneer was left a bit dumbfounded. "Oh, ok. I am Veneer."

The pony smiled and nodded. “Well hello, my name is Redhat, glad to make your acquaintance!”

"Likewise. I guess you are one of those fancy military ponies, aren't you?"

“Well, heh, wouldn't call all of us military ponies fancy, but yes.”

"Oh? Whats it like? I thought of joining up for the militia, but. . . . ."

“Well, just piss off the guy in charge and you won’t be stuck digging a freakin moat every evening.”

"I guess it’s not any bit as exciting as it sounds then?"

“Not really, just train and beat the life out of animals and badgers.”

Veneer's face scrunched up in displeasure. He did not like the idea of needlessly killing animals, or even badgers, as much of a problem as they are. “I think I will pass. Doesn't seem like my kind of thing."

“well yeah, probably for best if you don’t like getting your hands dirty“ Suddenly a stark flew in Veneers eye as he remembered something."Smoothblock! How could I forget? Do you know where i can find her?"

“I honestly haven't the slightest clue.”

Veneer jumped and started to head off before he turned back. "I will see you around, ok?"

“Sure.”
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:37:52 am by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2013, 06:13:28 pm »

, , and

Praetorian was walking along the fields, hoping to spot Maize there, in what seemed like the only place she ever usually was.

The brown-coated mare’s head was barely visible moving through the greenery as she did her twice-daily walk to check all of the plants.

“Maize?” called Praetorian as he moved towards her. “Would you have a bit of time? I’d like to talk to you.”

Maize peeks her head out from between two stalks. “What about?”

“Perhaps we could walk and talk?”

Maize quirks an eyebrow, but steps out of the field. “Alright, I guess. Where to?”

“Just around Duskfields,” says Praetorian.

Maize nods. “You can take lead if you want. Now, what do you want to talk about?”

Praetorian starts walking. “I was talking to Miss Cream Puff just a bit earlier. I... I asked her about what she thought of some of the ponies here.”

Maize nods. “Me? Am I one of those ponies?”

“Yes. Yes, you were.” Praetorian keeps quiet for a second as they continue walking along, and then speaks again. “I... Well. To be truthful... I only asked about two ponies.”

“Me...” Maize thinks. “Hmm... who else did you ask about?”

“...Well... The other pony I asked about was...myself.” The stallion smiles a little. “Pride’s been my weakness before.”

“Ah.” Maize looks at him. “So... did you find out anything?”

“I found out something. I’ve...Perhaps I’ve been hiding it from myself.” He stops walking. “Maize... You’re a wonderful pony. I... I can’t deny it anymore. Maize... I think I’m in love with you.”

Maize stops walking, her eyes widened and jaw slack. “...Oh... I... I didn’t really expect that...”

“I...I’m sorry. If you don’t want that sort of a relationship, then perhaps we can still be friends,” says Praetorian,mentally berating himself.

“No, no... It’s okay, I...” She cracks a smile. “I just hope you know what you’re getting into. I don’t think I’m going to be a very... easy mare to love.”

“...you already are.”

“No, I mean... someone said it behind my back, I’m trying to remember... high-maintenance?” Maize looks at Praetorian, seemingly hoping she got it right.

“You’re still Maize, the mare I love. No matter what, I’ll love you,” says Praetorian. “No matter how high-maintenance you might be.”

Maize beams and wraps Praetorian in a hug. “Oh, thank you. I... didn’t really think anyone could even care about me just a few months ago. Everything’s changing so fast. Could... would you please show me the way?”

“I’ll do my best,” promises Praetorian.

“So will I.” Maize gives him a kiss on the cheek as she moves away from him. “I... can’t say I know what to do, but I’ll learn, I hope.”

High above them, a cloud with familiar eyes lets out a muffled squeal.  Puff was so glad she decided to follow them!

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
Re: Duskfields (My Little Fortress
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2013, 09:27:35 pm »

The following was scribbled on Wood Chip's wall after a little too much wine, and was erased soon afterword:

Cross+Berge? Crossberge!

Holly+Temp? Tempolly? Hollance?

Cross+Study? Crosstudy? Casehair?

Case+Chaff? Casechaff?

Steelhat? Maizorian?

Maizorian! Yes! Perfect!

Redlathe? Steelstone? Dewneer? Millpuff?

Cream Chip?

A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2013, 03:00:50 pm »

When you get one, could I have a single male pegasus blacksmith? Thanks very much.
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2013, 04:30:07 pm »

Sure thing.  I'll be updating again soon.  Hopefully I'll get a migrant of that description soon.  If you don't want to wait, I could just sever Steel Rivet's relationship with his wife Heartfelt and their son Cumulus and pretend it was that way all along.  I'd just leave Cumulus with Heartfelt.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2013, 06:43:04 pm »

We'll see.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2013, 06:54:18 pm »

Character sheet plox?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2013, 10:34:34 pm »

and

As the two soldiers returned from the day’s march, they moved over to the drilling ring. Without a word, Praetorian lifted his shield and spear from the rack, tossing aside the weighty wooden replicas he’d held on the march, and gestured for Redhat to do the same.

the pony moved over the rack and traded his weapon and shield for a wooden version. “so... i guess we're going to spar?”

“Yes. We are. Are you ready?” Praetorian takes a defensive stance, readying his shield.

Redhat grinned. “oh well then by all means start the fight.”

“I am ready. Go ahead,” Praetorian says with a nod.

“I don’t like to strike first”

Just as Redhat is speaking, Praetorian rams forward with his shield boss, ramming it at Redhat’s head.

Redhat tried to dodge the attack as best he could, rolling awkwardly to the side just in time.

Quick as a flash, Praetorian’s shield, held aloft by his magic, retracts, and he turns to face Redhat again.

Redhat tried his best to block the shield with his own, before trying to hit Praetorian with his spear.

Praetorian rattles Redhat’s spear with his shield, its reinforcing metal boss knocking the spearhead away. “Try again.”

the pony threw a punch at Praetorian’s head. “Sure thing!”

Praetorian lowers his head and headbutts the hoof away. “Still going to have to do better. Who taught you to fight? A badger pony? Control your anger or you’ll never survive your first real battle.”

“you know what? your right” and then the pony’s Spear was shot out towards Praetorian’s side.

Praetorian lifts up his own spear like a quarterstaff and knocks Redhat’s out of his grip and out of the way. “For goodness sake. You’re not even trying.”

In responce, redhat slamed into Praetorian the moement he used his weapon to disarm him.

In his own response, Praetorian just sits tight behind the shield, and rams the butt of his spear into Redhat’s head.

The pony tensed at the sudden feeling the spear hitting him, before falling to the ground and holding his hooves to his head. “GHA that stings!”

“Come on. Keep at it.”

He slowly got up and attacked again, this time with his hooves and more sloppily than before.

Praetorian stifles a yawn, as he uses his shield. “Heaven’s sake, stallion. Put your back into it.”

he paused and tried to strike again, just as sloppy as before.

Praetorian sighs. “Okay, Redhat. What are you doing?”

“fighting?”

“...You’re not doing it very well. At all.”

“then why don’t you correct me.”

“Because you can only learn this stuff through practice, and lots of it. Flamberge and Crosshair are both competent, skilled fighters, as their experience would lead them to be.” Praetorian sighs. “And you’re the one here letting the side down on this sort of stuff. So what, exactly, combat experience have you had?”

“none honestly”

“...Okay. Then that means we’ll have to go back to basics,” says the older soldier with another sigh.

“well sorry”

“It’d have been better for you to tell me before. Well. Time to get out the straw dummies.”

“ugh...”

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2013, 01:52:18 am »

Character sheet plox?

Here you go.

Spoiler: Steel Rivet (click to show/hide)

I thought I was going to get the update up tonight, but apparently not.  Maybe tomorrow.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28