Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28

Author Topic: Duskfields (My Little Fortress)  (Read 47736 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Duskfields (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #390 on: August 11, 2013, 11:15:07 am »

... Wait, we won? And I got knocked out by a dead guy? Oh come on. But seriously, we won?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 11, 2013, 11:37:22 am »

... Wait, we won? And I got knocked out by a dead guy? Oh come on. But seriously, we won?

:D

In other news Lightning will be having a bit of a scene in a few hours possibly by five so expect that.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 11, 2013, 12:36:09 pm »

Yep, that's pretty much the size of it.  DF is pretty binary with fights, and even though I tried pretty hard to make the fight a bit more costly for the defenders we won pretty decisively.

The broken hip from a griffon landing on you is pretty annoying, I agree, and it's not the first time I've seen it.  Once I saw a soldier kill someone riding a mount, at which point they fell on them and broke their spine.  So count yourself lucky that Scimitar will make a full recovery.  :)

There were surprisingly few deaths.  Redhat was the only soldier who was out and out killed, but five or six civilian militia were killed.  A few other soldiers were pretty badly wounded but should recover.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 11, 2013, 01:21:02 pm »

You know, the reason i didn't get involved with the hospital thing a while back where Max was being treated wa sbecause the only thing I could think of was being a racist jerk ("Screw the griffon, how about helping the wounded ponies first!?") and now I have an even greater reason to dislike griffons. First one gets preferential treatment to a militapony and now one breaks my hip even when he's already dead? Screw them!

Stupid griffons...

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 11, 2013, 01:48:54 pm »

Short scene for Lightning Runner. This was originally longer, but after a bit of talking with Telgin, I decided this would work just as well.

Lightning tried to just sleep and hope he wakes up in Amug’s embrace. Of course Mother wouldn’t let him if he did die. She’d probably use her magic and twist him more than he already is. A bastard mix of ‘Discordant’ and ‘Regular’ pony. The faded coat of a Discordant and the free will of a pony.

He looked towards the sky, noting the sun’s position. A little past noon. He let out a small chuckle. ~At least when I greet her I won’t be late for-~ His thoughts were interrupted when a vibrant purple and green explosion erupted in the general area of Duskfields. Lightning realized he wasn’t as close to home as he thought, but that didn’t matter now. He was out here, not there.

The sound of hooves hitting the ground around him along with cries of... despair. Some of them were undecipherable, but after piecing together pieces he heard, he understood what had happened. Mother had been killed and while he didn’t know who did it, he had a few good guesses on whom the dagger will go into.

Flamberge was his first guess as he was the most obvious in his hatred for Her, as evidenced by his short reunion with him in that dark and lonely jail he had grown used to.

Prodd was an unlikely choice as, judging from how quick Mother had blocked his dagger, bolts wouldn’t be as effective, but never say never as they say.

All his other guesses were pretty much the same. Bolts are ineffective, and or Melee won’t be effective unless certain strategies are used.

He closed his eyes and as he did that an image of Mother and a sword. The sword was cutting off her hand, the all too familiar red fog surrounding the hand as it was severed. He quickly opened his eyes, breathing in and out rapidly. This was getting a bit... odd. First the magic... then the hooves and the pony’s talking about Mother being dead, this empty feeling inside of him. He knew he couldn’t make his way back to see what was going on, even with his high pain tolerance that many of the militia ponies commended him for, he was sure trying to get back with four broken legs probably isn't a good idea.

So he was left there, the only thing to keep him busy until somepony came to find him, was to ponder what thoughts he had.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 07:49:43 pm by Iceblaster »

Kryptid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 13, 2013, 11:01:51 pm »

and

The mace came down. Quick. Decisive. Prodd could only watch in horror. He was out of bolts, and about to cave in a discordants skull with the butt of his crossbow. He heard the crack of a spine. The unicorn’s mind raced as the crossbow came down and cracked the foe’s skull. He promised her that he’d protect her, but he could save her. He didn’t bring enough bolts, he didn’t pay attention to what was happening on that side of the keep, he didn’t save her! Prodd collapsed on the spot, trying to take in what happened. The discordants attacked full force, he promised Redhat they’d come out of this alive, and Lightning Runner went out there to fight. Lightning! He snapped out of his thoughts just in time to dodge underneath a strike from another damn discordant. In Prodd’s rage he slammed the crossbow into the new opponents ribs, creating a satisfying crunch. This would be a long, painful night.

There were no goddamn bolts. The marksponies were reduced to bashing things with their crossbows on the walls. If only Prodd had fifteen more bolts. There’d be fifteen more dead guys. He thought to himself. He threw himself into a state of denial, it was the only way he could function. Once the enemy was defeated, he’d go save the wounded souls, and Red would still be there... smiling at him. He and some of his squad mates remained on the walls striking, bucking, bashing, or smashing anything that wasn’t them. Good thing Red taught him how to fight in close quarters, and good thing he was creative with his magic. A discordant charged him and dived for a tackle, it hit its mark. But its mark wasn’t there. The discordant flew over the fortifications and plummeted into the moat and it didn’t no how to swim.

The next foe had to fight a pissed off Prodd that was peaking at full potential with his magic. In the blink of an eye he dove in and brought the butt of the crossbow into the foe’s chin with enough force to rear up his opponent onto its hind legs. Then Prodd flashed into a bright light and teleported right above the standing discordant. His hind legs slammed hard onto the back of its head and forced it into the floor, the discordant stopped moving entirely. He hit the ground just in time to watch the last of the enemies retreat into the woods.

A few hours later and somewhere deep in the forest...

The sun had disappeared behind the tree line. Usually things like this wouldn’t bother Lightning, but due to his predicament he had nothing to do except observe his area and try to decipher what had happened a while ago. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, hoping that he could sleep.

Lightning perked his ears as the sound of a snapped twig alerted him of the presence of somepony. Somepony that could kill him, and he wouldn’t be able to refuse, and only be able to watch as that somepony plunged a dagger into his throat. If he was lucky though, it’d be somepony who could save him, but even with the suggestion that Mother is dead, there was this feeling that she was alive, and he’d be her next kill.

Prodd stumbled his way through the brush. He could magically sense his long time friend nearby. Then he saw him. After the fighting, Prodd knew Red was dead, he couldn’t change that, no matter how hard he tried. When the battle was over, he helped find the wounded. He knew Lightning was out there somewhere, he knew he didn’t die yet. And he found him. Limbs broken perhaps beyond repair. Prodd’s magic couldn’t help the situation, he exhausted himself in the fighting and sensing the presence of the wounded. He overworked his horn, it fizzled when he tried to do anything. So all Prodd did was collapse again at his friend’s side a cried silently, as if to conceal his sadness.

“Prodd? A-Are you here to save me? O-Or did Mother- Entropy win and now I’m being killed?” Lightning asked nervously, not noticing his friend’s sorrow.

“...” Prodd said nothing. He wiped his tears away and stood above his broken friend.

Lightning looks up at him. “Prodd? A-Are you okay?”

Prodd kneels down to the injured pegasus. He stuttered out in a broken tone, “r-Red... r-Red... d-died...” His voice trailed off and began weeping.

Lightning faintly heard the last part, it sounded like died, but she couldn’t have died... she couldn’t. “Red d-died? She couldn’t have...”

Prodd only nodded. He pulled out a ring, it had a small diamond on it, bought from the last caravan before the fight. “I... c-couldn’t... s-save... h-her...

Lightning stayed silent, his shock preventing him from making an answer that he himself would appreciate. “I-I’m sorry...” He finally said breaking the silence.

C-couldn’t... s-save... her...” Prodd whimpered, he picked up Lighting onto his back. “C-can... s-save... you...” His tears flowed.

“Prodd? Are you okay? This isn’t you...” Lightning said in minor protest, however he wasn’t going to refuse being rescued.

I... d-don’t think... I’ll... e-ever... be... m-me...” Prodd cried. He was going to carry Lightning to Duskfields, to his family, to safety.

“Prodd... I’m sorry for your loss... J-Just... please...” Is all Lightning could say to avoid hurting him more

Prodd nodded slowly and sniffled a little. He soon stopped crying as they approached the gates.

Lightning took in the surroundings as Prodd brought him in. Grieving ponies, a crew of ponies removing the ‘discordant’ corpses from the area, and a strange sense of despair, however it was less of a feeling that the town was in despair, but it was as if that empty feeling inside of him had amplified itself just by moving into Duskfields.

After Prodd pulled himself together he felt the need to say one thing before taking Lightning to the hospital. “...Your family’s okay... none of them got injured in the fighting.”

“Thanks... I appreciate it.” Lightning said. “I know we just got back... but why were...” He paused, thinking of a better term, “Ponies fleeing from the town?”

“...I don’t know.” Prodd sighed. “Come on... we should get you to a doctor...”

He nodded. There was a long silence, lasting until they reached their destination, the hospital. “Th-Thanks... when I get better... if I get better... come to me if you need help... I won’t mind helping a friend out...” Lightning offered

Prodd nodded vaguely and carefully lowered Lightning onto one of the hospital beds. He then slowly left, his head held low and looking dejected.

Lightning got a look of worry on his face. “Prodd... would talking help?” He offered, most likely in vain, but the thought counts as many say.

Prodd weakly shrugged his shoulders in response and left the building, he probably needed some time alone.

It was amazing just how busy Case Study had been. There were so many injured ponies on the waiting list that one, Galena, had even died before Case could get around to treating her. The hospital was simply not built to deal with such an influx. The blue stallion wasn’t built for it either. As calm and reserved as he normally was, the stress that this day had brought upon him was visibly wearing on his nerves.

The doctor eventually got around to seeing that broken heap of a pegasus, “A-alright Mr. Runner...let’s get you...f-fixed up.” The earth pony stuttered from fatigue and anxiety, having seen far more violence than he was used to for one day. He had run out of healing potion long ago and so was forced to used more standard methods of treatment. Case was practically running on autopilot now, using his instincts in place of any empathy. “Bite,” he said in a monotone voice as he shoved a rag into Lightning’s mouth. He wasted no time cracking the broken limbs back into place, preparing to splint them as needed.

Lightning was surprised at the normally happy doctor becoming this monotone instructing voice, but dismissed it and bit down on the rag as he had been instructed, and was glad he did so as the pain from bonework was less,but still painful considering it being bonework.

Anaesthesia was a luxury that could not be afforded considering the time scale in place. Case had heard so many screams and moans of pain that he had practically tuned them out by now. After setting Lightning’s broken bones and wrapping his flesh-wounds with cloth, the zombified doctor prepared to move onto the next victim of war. There were many ponies volunteering to help Case, Convalescence and Bonesetter, but their lack of medical experience left them to do little more than keep patients stable until the doctors could get around to them.

“Case... C-Can I ask you a question real quick?” Lightning asked as Case was finishing up.

He paused for a moment and gazed upon his patient with weary eyes, “Yes, w-what is it Lightning?”

“If Prodd stops by... can you see if he’ll sit down to talk? From what I’ve heard from him... he just needs” He paused to consider a better word than the blunt therapy “A talk... I know losing Redhat will be hard for him... but I just want Prodd to continue being Prodd, even if he lost her”

“If...I can remember. I’ve got a lot of work to do and there’s no telling...telling if I’ll even be in my right mind when I’m done,” the physician scanned the stuffed hospital, drawing in a deep breath, “Yes...we’ll all miss her.”

“Thanks... I appreciate it” Lightning smiled briefly. “I... I just... Some of this may very well be my fault” He said voice trailing off. “Thanks for patching me up...” He looked into the weary eyes of Case Study. Even those had lost their normal vibrancy.

“I apologize for not having time for a longer...” he struggled to find the word in his frazzled brain, “chat...but Wooden Shaft needs my undivided attention right now. I’ll talk with you later, whenever that may be.”

“Alright. Thanks anyway.”

thoushaltcallmelars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 15, 2013, 05:18:42 pm »

PTW
Overseer Lars cancels Fortress Mode; Raging at his own stupidity.

Suffice to say, I shall forever associate all dyers with Bomrek Romekas, The Dyer, who slew four dwarves (and wounded a speardwarf) and a wardog while alive, without weapons, armor, or even clothing, before rising from the dead to rip three dwarves' limbs off. Wasn't even combat with the ghost, just "<ghost> batters <dwarf>" and I look and there's a leg, a sock, and a pool of blood.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 19, 2013, 08:04:32 pm »

Flamberge’s eyes begin to open. It takes him a moment to realize where he is. He finds himself in one of the beds of the hospital, now crammed with the injured. Dr. Case Study and Mayor/Doctor Convalence running about, taking care of the many patients. Flamberge looks over and sees Crosshair by his bedside, his foals asleep around him in the bed. “Crosshair, what happened?” he asks her softly when his faculties begin to function again.

Crosshair give him a loving smile before nuzzling him gently. “We won.” She replied. “We’ve killed Entropy, The Army arrived and captured a lot of Discordians that didn’t kill themselves. Even a few ponies of ours came back.”

“Thats... good,” he says nuzzling her in return, though not getting up, “How bad were my injuries? I feel terrible all over.”

“They say you’ll be fine.” she replied. “You’ll just be feeling sick for a while.

Flamberge thinks back and recalls the gas Entropy sprayed at him, and how sick he had felt at the time, he then looks to his family all around him, “That stuff Entropy used to make me sick, I’m not contagious am I?”

“Apparently not, I’m still fine. Don’t worry, I made sure of that before I brought the foals over. They missed you.”

Flamberge brushes his foals’ manes with his forehooves, as they sleep. “I missed them too... Do they know about what Max did?” he asks.

“They don’t need to.” Crosshair said with a smile. “Speaking of Max, he’s up and about if you want to see him?”

Flamberge sits himself upright, with a bit of effort, “Yeah, I have some... business to take care of with that bird.”

Crosshair carefully helps him up and off of the bed with some effort, waking their foals up and telling them to go wait for them at home.

Flamberge and Crosshair make their way out of the hospital, in search of Max. It was time they finished things.

Max was overwatching the foals play in the courtyard of Duskfields. He was acting as Pinfeather’s de facto guardian now, with him being orphaned after the battle. He was simply laying in the grass, his fours tucked under him in a roosting posture, contemplating things as well.

Flamberge approaches Max, with Crosshair right behind him, when he gets close he speaks, “Max, I promised only that I would not kill you as long as Entropy was a threat, she’s gone now, and I can’t let you stay here, not after what you did to me.”

Max keeps his stare trained on pinfeather and states with a neutral tone. “At this point; I can't argue with what you are about to do. I killed one of my own, I impersonated you, I almost threw away everything I am and everything I built to avenge what I loved. I jus' ask this: Can’t you just shut up and let me enjoy the bask of victory for a little longer, Flamberge? The Griffon caravan will take care of me for you anyway . . . ” The griffon’s big blue eye looks over Flamberge’s bandaged body up and down. “You look terrible.” He said with an inflection of almost camaraderie in his voice. Max knew his story was over. He had made his bed of nails and now nothing was left but the curtain call. But at least the ponies of Duskfields did not go down with him just as Entropy wanted. In letting Flam go, he made the first right decision in a very, very long time.

Flamberge stands directly in front of Max and says, "I can not let you bask in our victory, for that very reason. Max, you are banished from the Barony of Duskfields, for now and for all time. Leave now, and never return."

Crosshair looked at him, blinking in surprise that he didn’t order the bird to be shot on the spot after all that he’ve done.

Max looks at him with incredulity. “Well, I didn’t see that coming.”

Flamberge sighs and says, "Do not think I have forgiven you Max. You tore me from my family and left me to die. However... This one chance, is all the kindness you will get from me, if I ever see you again, I will kill you. I will tell the griffins that you must have escaped in the confusion following the battle. You will be a fugitive among your kind, and you'll always be an outsider among anypony else. That is sufficient to me."

Max closes his eyes and smiles. “When have I ever not been?” He looks back over to Pinfeather. ”The kid, I will take him with me.  He lost his parents in the battle. He’s now an orphan, like I was.” Max winces. “I see alot of myself in Pinfeather.” Max gets up out of the grass. “I’m taking what I can carry from the cave. The rest, make Duskfields something grand with it. And let them know who donated it.  A statue, or plaque bearing my name. Something nice.  Understand?”

Flamberge nods, “Understood. Now, you should leave before I change my mind.”

Max sighs heavily and takes one good long last look at the town he built. The palisades were shattered, the apartments were scorched ash black. The tavern was being nailed back together. Tuckered out Pinfeather crawled over to Max’s leg and curled into a tight ball. “ ... I don’t wanna be here anymore.” the griffon hatchling sighed into his paw. With a large affirming nod, Max said. “Yes, I agree. It’s time to leave, little Pinfeather. Too many ghosts here in these woods.” Max looks over and gives Crosshair a quick and bursk “Sorry.” Max gently picked up Pinfeather and extended his wings and hovered upward slowly. Giving Duskfields a tentative last glance before flying away.

Crosshair watches as Max begin to take off, she raises her crossbow up and takes an aim at him silently, looking down her sights and predicting her bolt. “I can shoot him right out of the sky from here..” she said.

Flamberge pushes her weapon down, so that it points at the ground, “No Crosshair, let him go.”

“But he stole your life! and almost killed everypony else’s for it! He stole you from me!” Crosshair objected.

Flamberge nods, “He did, but if I had been in his place. If he’d taken you from me, as I killed the dragon, then, I would have done far worse than what he did. He could have killed you. He could have killed our foals. But he didn’t. He still is a villain. He still nearly led us all to our death, but, when he saw what we were really up against, he let me go. He came to me, and let me take command again. He was willing to face the hangpony’s noose, in his real body,  just to give the rest of us a fighting chance. I don’t like him, and I can’t forgive what he has done, but I do respect him. And because I respect him, I’m going to let him run, and I trust he won’t return.”

Crosshair listened, and nodded quietly at that. “I suppose he earned this.”
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:51:51 pm by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 19, 2013, 08:12:27 pm »

Crosshair trots over to one of the benches, where Flamberge have been set back to rest some more. Having a very important message to tell him “Flamberge! The King is here! he’s waiting in the Tavern!”

“The King is here?! Take me to him,” Flamberge commands, and the two ponies, head for the tavern.

Once there, they find six guards outside and everypony else making a wide berth.  Two powerful looking griffons with halberds in hand circle over the tavern, constantly keeping an eye on the entrance.  Four ponies stand at the door itself.  To the left a dark colored pegasus stallion with a crossbow and a strongly built earth pony mare with an axe, both wearing heavy black armor emblazoned with the rising sun behind a pick on their flanks.  To the right are two large unicorn stallions in ornate steel armor brandishing the royal seal, the one on the left has a similarly gilded and ornate sword and shield floating at their sides. The other, a brown unicorn with a long beard, has an unmarked ornate shield of leather and wood, a symbol of a tree emblazoned on it and a large heavily used, battleaxe.  As they draw close, the bearded unicorn closest to the door steps forward and crosses his axe in front of the door.  “Halt, unless you have business with the king, you are to leave.”

Flamberge locks eyes with the unicorn, “I am Colonel Flamberge, Commander of Duskfields, and Regent of this Barony, I have need to speak with his majesty.”

The two royal guards size him up for a moment, then the weapon retracts.  “Yes, he spoke of you. I am to bring you to him, follow me.”  His horn glows a faint white for an instant and the door creaks open.

The unicorn leads the way inside, and inside Flamberge finds a small mass of ponies standing around one of the tables that has been pulled away from the wall.  One particularly old stallion is fussing with another unicorn in royal armor, saying, “It is quite safe in here, I don’t think I need to wear this armor any longer.”  He sets his chanfron on a table, letting his long snowy mane spill onto his withers.

Behind him, a slate gray earth pony mare with a taupe mane and hints of steel armor atop a blue dress sits sullenly at a table.  To her side, a jet black male griffon in steel armor with black and purple sashes adorned with medals stands silently, watching the king argue with his aide. On the other side of the king, an elderly brown unicorn, with a greying, braided beard, looking similar to the guard leading Flamberge, wearing a style of military armor from some three of four decades ago, with a massive axe across his back, and numerous medals on his peytral. He, the griffon, and the mare look up at Flamberge and the guard as they enter.

The bearded unicorn guard speaks up, “Your majesty, Colonel Flamberge has awoken. He is here to speak with you.”

The king turns about, surprisingly fluidly for a pony his age.  “Thank you, Glaive, you are dismissed.” 

Glaive bows and takes his leave.

A wide grin forms in the middle of the King’s short and neatly trimmed beard, and he steps forward.  “Ah, Colonel Flamberge, it’s good to see you up and so well.  After what I heard from the after action report, I was afraid you’d be down for a while.”

Flamberge grins, "Well, your majesty, if Captain Crosshair had her way, I would still be, but I'm not one to stay in bed while there is work to be done."

“So I’m learning,” the king replies in a light tone.  “I regret we couldn’t reach you in time to assist in the defense itself.  The spells developed to penetrate the clouds worked, but not as well as we’d hoped.  You performed admirably nonetheless.”  His eyes widen slightly as something dawns on him.  “Oh, but I am getting senile in my old age.”  He turns away to give the mare and griffon a better view of Flamberge, and gestures toward them.  “I don’t think everypony here is acquainted.  Flamberge, this is Major Alexie Rykov from Canyontalon, and Duchess Virtue Cookales from Dawnpick.  They both provided troops to help with the rounding up of the discordant ponies.”

Flamberge lowers his head to them each in turn, “A pleasure to meet you both.”

The griffon strides forward, letting the tiniest of smiles show on his beak.  He extends a claw to shake and says, “Indeed it is a pleasure to finally meet you, colonel.  When I learned that we could not reach you in time to help fell the beast, I thought all would be lost.  I am thoroughly impressed by the skill you and your soldiers showed in the defense of this town.”

Flamberge shakes the griffon's claw with his hoof, while trying not to look off balance despite his injuries, and says, “Thank you Major, I owe it all to my stallions and the militia.”

“Absolutely,” the griffon replies without a pause.  “If there is anything to be learned from combat in the position of a leader, it is that the soldiers under you are your most valuable resource, in every sense.”  His smile turns to a smirk.  “And I can appreciate a commander who fights beside his soldiers.”

The griffon sees Virtue step up, and makes space for her.  She looks Flamberge in the eyes for a moment, where it becomes obvious to him that she had been crying recently.  “Hello, colonel.  It... it’s good to meet you.  I’ve heard of you, and... your reputation precedes you.”

"It is good to meet you Lady Virtue, you were sister to Lord Temperance were you not? I regret that I was unable to protect him, I am deeply sorry for your loss," Flamberge explains.

The elder brown unicorn, with the braided beard, raises an eyebrow as Flamberge says that, and moves closer to his king.

Virtue nods slowly and wipes an eye with a forehoof.  “Yes... yes, that’s right.”  She takes a deep breath and does a bad job of recomposing herself.  “Sorry.  I... I didn’t get the news until very recently.”  She closes her eyes and says in a weak voice, “I understand.”

The king casts a curious glance to Fauchard, but stays silent.

“My king,” says Flamberge turning back to face him, “I must admit some ignorance, what exactly happened after Entropy was destroyed? I saw some Discordians committing suicide, but... then I blacked out, Captain Crosshair told me that we captured some of the survivors?”

The king clears his throat and nods.  “Ah, yes, perhaps we should get on with the business at hoof.  That’s correct, but things are a bit complicated overall.  I’ll allow the major to fill you in on the details I didn’t see, but after you killed the draconequus the entire discordant army just... well, they just quit.

“We were circling around the discordants within the woods, slowly tightening our noose so they couldn’t escape.  The griffons had their griffons and pegasi pinned down, and victory was really a question of when, not if.  The antimagic spells were allowing us to fight them safely, and they were beginning to panic already.  There was an unbelievable explosion of magic from within the town, which I was later to learn was you destroying the abomination, and every last discordant just... broke.  They cried out and turned to run toward the town.”

When he points toward Major Rykov, the griffon nods.  “Yes, at that point the warping clouds of magic began to disperse, so we were able to move in to attack directly and get a better look.  The discordants swarmed toward the town, falling to our weapons effortlessly.  They cared for nothing but to see for themselves that you had destroyed their vile leader.  Of those that did, many slew themselves.  I am told it was out of outright sorrow and grief rather than fear of what we would do to them.”

He rustles his wings and continues.  “Confusing as that is, we were able to apprehend those that simply succumbed to their despair.  Increasingly we were rounding up survivors outside who were unable to get within the walls, but only after we hefted the thing’s corpse outside to set it alight and burn it before them did they finally stop trying to claw their way inside.  All told, we have over a thousand captive.”

“I... see,” replies Flamberge, “And so what happens now?”

The king cocks a frown.  “A good question.  I don’t think I need to express how much of a logistical problem it would be to march a thousand potentially insane ponies to Coupledye to be processed as prisoners, much less the... side issues... it would involve.”

“We have offered to accept the griffon prisoners,” Major Rykov adds.

The king nods.  “Yes, that helps, but still leaves over nine hundred, including the zebras.  I’m a bit reluctant to put them all to the sword, but at this point I’m short on options.”  He shakes his head slowly.  “Some of the citizens here have been attempting to communicate with them, despite our attempts to keep them separate.  Most of the discordants are so lost and confused now it is fruitless, but a few are responsive.  In fact, I am told a filly named Saffron was bizarrely found among their number, and has been returned to her family here.”  He looks around to everyone present, then back to the floor.  “Puts me in a very difficult situation.”

Flamberge smiles faintly at the news of Saffron’s safe return, “Well, whatever you decide will be for the best I am sure. I would be willing to accept a few of the earthponies among them as workers, as we will need the extra hooves to rebuild Duskfields, but that would only be a drop in the bucket from so many.”

“We’ll take some,” Virtue mutters.  “As many as we can.”

The king blows out his breath and looks between them all again.  “Thank you.  Yes... yes, we’ll sort that out, one way or another.  There is an equally pressing issue at hoof however.”  His expression turns hard.  “With the tragic and untimely passing of Lord Temperance, Duskfields itself is in a precarious position.  The next heir, his daughter Mountain Dew, is far too young to administrate the town and take his position as baroness.  Thus, the duty fell to you as regent, Flamberge.  That needs to be corrected.”

Flamberge looks nervous for a moment, and swallows, “Uh, corrected?”

He nods, keeping a deadly serious face.  “This is a complicated matter.  I would be sorely tempted to relieve you of the burden of administering day-to-day affairs by delegating it to Morning Dew, since she is Temperance’s wife.  However, I am led to believe she has no experience or talent for such things, and it would serve nopony.

“In her place, I could also ask Duchess Virtue to possibly have one of her children fill the vacancy.”  A look of mild terror washes over her, and the king continues with, “But that introduces a lot of additional complications.  It could cause issues with potential claims to the lands, and I would not want to introduce that into a delicate situation.

“So, that leaves me with a third option, which I believe may be the best in the long run.”  He pauses for effect.  “Duchess Virtue has spoken with Morning Dew and her foals, and it seems that she has no interest in maintaining any hold or claim to the lands.  Her daughter Mountain Dew seems to agree with her, and the other foals are young enough that their mother has the say.  So... there is a possibility that they will be leaving Duskfields to return either with us to Coupledye, or with Virtue to Dawnpick.  That, however, leaves me with a vacancy that absolutely must be filled.”  He looks at Flamberge, visually appraising him.

The nervousness Flamberge had originally shown at this direction of conversation passes and he attempts to make himself look as capable as possible, through the bandages.

“Colonel Flamberge, I am prepared to grant you the title of baron over the barony of Duskfields.  You have proven yourself in my eyes on many occasions, the last and most impressive of which is the destruction of a powerful creature that was poised to cause untold damage to not only our lands but potentially vast areas of griffon and zebra lands as well.  Though you’ve only been in position to administrate the town directly for a brief time, you have shown yourself capable enough and I am sure you will in time learn all of the intricacies.”  The stoic expression he wore fades a bit as he notes the hurt look on Virtue, but he locks eyes with Flamberge.  “Are you willing to accept this charge?  If you wish to remain in a purely military position as the commander of Duskfields’ armed forces, I will hold nothing against you.”

"Your majesty, I would be honored take up the title and responsibilities of Baron. It is all I could have ever hoped for," states Flamberge happily.

Fauchard's eyes go wide when Flamberge is offered the title, he leans to the King and whispers something into his ear.

The king snorts and cuts his eyes to Fauchard briefly before looking back to Flamberge.  “Excellent, I’m glad you’re willing to step up to the challenge.  I hereby grant you the title of baron over Duskfields, including all of the benefits and responsibilities that it entails.  I regret that we are not equipped to provide the customary paperwork, but my word is binding.”

“Thank you your majesty,” replies Flamberge beaming with pride.

“Then it is done,” he says simply.  “You are dismissed, Lord Flamberge.  I know you are still recovering, and you should rest now.”  He looks to the griffon and says, “We still have a bit of business to discuss, if you would remain.”  Finally, he turns to Virtue and says in a low voice, “And Virtue... if you would go speak with Morning Dew again, I would appreciate it.”

Flamberge makes his way back outside to Crosshair, who was still waiting for him. “How was it? What did the King want?” Crosshair asked excitedly.

Flamberge had a wide smiles across his face, like a foal on their birthday. “Captain Crosshair,” he says as he comes up to her, “is that how you address your new Baron?”

Crosshair went wide-eyed as she gasps and glomps onto her stallion, squeezing happily “You’re a Baron now!” She squeaked, overjoyed.

He hugs her in return, “I am, Morning and Mountain Dew are leaving with Duchess Virtue and giving up the claim, the King offered the title to me, and of course I accepted it.”

“Finally a Nobility! And you wouldn’t need to marry any other mares to do so too, right?” Crosshair asked again hopefully.

Flamberge sighs, “Marrying some noble’s filly, would still help us climb the ranks, but...” Flamberge looks around the damaged town, his town, “I don’t care about that anymore... . Crosshair, will you marry me?”

That have caught the small mare completely off guard, she blinked, gasped and stared at him dumbly for a moment, tearing up a little before nodding eagerly “Yes!”

“I’m sorry I made you wait so long Crosshair,” Flamberge begins apologetically, “but you are all that is important to me. You, and our foals. Go, now. Go find your best dress, and I’ll go get the foals, and our friends, the King is here, and we’ll ask him to perform the ceremony right away.”

Still being so happy that she’s in tears, Crosshair nods and trots away happily to their home. She went through hell and now she thinks she’s going to heaven.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 19, 2013, 09:12:34 pm »

This scene may seem a bit out of place, but I didn't expect Kingstrongbeard to post his scene this quick... sooo yeah. Here it is

Journal Entry whatever.

I’ve been thinking. Being in a hospital bed, having only one usable leg at the moment, and most of all the feeling that part of me died yesterday, does a lot to the soul, and while I have come to know the sterile... ish smell of Case Study’s hospital, I will never get used to sitting in here, nothing to do for weeks upon weeks of lying around with nothing to do, other than talking to friends... overhearing the latest gossip from Bone Setter and Sweetie, but... it has changed.

This... war has done things to them. None of them are as vibrant as normal, Tartarus even Mist is down for once in her life. I... I don’t want her to see what they did... I know she’s seen it by now... the stench of death is something nobody gets used to, and when you first smell it, is something you wish you never smelled.

I had a dream last night. It... It was just that clearing. Weeping ponies were all there. I watched as they... they were killed. Killed by armor clad ponies. Some bearing the Coupledye insignia. Some bearing... Fruitholds insignia. I’m sure it was just a dream... What is it trying to tell me? I know Amug says that dreams have meanings, no matter how small, but... I don’t know... I just don’t know.

I’m worried about Prodd. I know he’s having to deal with his Marefriend’s death... but after he is done with that... what will he do? Will he go back to being a... hermit to put it bluntly, or will he try to move on... I-I don’t know... I know Redhat was very special to him... and that He was very special to Redhat...

Case Study has been less... how do I put it... Case Study ish lately. He’s been less outgoing... less organized... less poetic in his speech. I know the latter is an odd thing to say, but from the few times I actually was under his care, he spoke more poetically that what he is doing now. I know many can say that it’s the stress from having so many ponies to care for, but if the story that Crosshair told me one of those long days I was stuck in that cell, then he must have had some experience before coming to Duskfields...

I’m probably rambling on at this point... but something compels me to continue writing. As if somepony was standing over my shoulder as I was writing a masterpiece of a story, telling me to continue writing because they wanted to know more, and I listened as it was my work and I hadn’t exhausted my idea pool.

Fruitholds... I feel I have to talk about them. They were corrupt money hounding bastard ponies. Sorry... Describing the government. Not the city and its... things... There were many classes or castes or whatever you wanted to call them divided into three groups. The outers, the middle citizens, and the Inners.

I of course came from the outer group, residing in the outer city that, while usually kept clean when a diplomat or visiting royalty from some other city state came by, was a fucking mess most of the time, and while many ponies had to come through that hellhole the government had a... project made for direct entry to the Middle citizens and the inner living areas after a widespread plague of a disease akin to the ‘Flu’ as doctors called it, but it’s mortality rate was ten percent higher than the ‘Flu’.

The reason the project began is because many of the cases came from the Outers, and therefore they assumed that it was able to be prevented by doing this. It didn’t stop it, and hell many of the workers became sick due to being in proximity of the main offender. The rats.

I guess drawing would help pass the time... I guess...

[Below is a crudely drawn picture of Entropy and Lightning of Runner Clan in black ink. Entropy is making a plaintive gesture. Lightning of Runner Clan is holding his hoof out. The image has details of excellent quality in black ink. The image relates to Lightning of Runner Clan’s love of Mother]

[Below is a crudely drawn picture of discordants and ponies in black ink. The discordants are embracing the ponies. The ponies are returning the gesture hesitantly. The image relates to the dreams of Lightning of Runner Clan.]

[Below is a crudely drawn picture of Amug, Entropy, and Lightning of Runner Clan in black ink. Amug is making an angry gesture. Lightning of Runner Clan is facing away from Amug. Entropy is beckoning Lightning of Runner Clan. The image relates to Lightning of Runner Clan’s induction into the Discordant race]

[Below is a crudely drawn picture of a blue pegasus mare and Lightning of Runner Clan in black ink. The mare is making a loving gesture. Lightning of Runner Clan is returning the gesture. The image radiates with sadness, yet love at the same time. The image relates to Lightning of Runner Clan’s love of his late mother.]

-sidenote-

I apologize to those reading this if I ever release this as a book or whatever Lightning of Runner Clan’s journeys in Duskfields, I didn’t realize how disconnected this stuff has seemed at the time of writing.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 20, 2013, 12:00:58 am »

Double posting :D

and

Flamberge enters the hospital again. It had been several weeks since the battle with Entropy, and while most of the wounded had been able to return home, if not to work, some still remained here, and Flamberge as the new lord of these lands, thought it his duty to keep tabs on them all. Seeing Lightning Runner in one of the beds, with his wife absent for once, Flamberge decides now is a good time to speak with him directly, and moves to take a seat by his bedside.

“Hey Flamberge…” He greeted as he walked in. “I heard about your… promotion. Congratulation.” Lightning said hesitantly, his opinion of Flamberge wasn’t going to take hold of his tone today.

“Thank you Lightning. Tell me, how are you doing?” Flamberge asks looking over the broken stallion before him.

“I’m doing fine… I know that the attack… the attack and what it’s done… but… do you think we’ll recover? I know it’s only been a few weeks at most -i’ve lost track of time- but with barely anything to do, that starts to go through my head” he responded as he examined Flamberge’s scarred body, some of the wounds appeared to have reopened recently. “A-Are you okay Flamberge? You look a bit… hurt”

“I’m okay, Entropy used some spell on me, reopened all my old injuries, but Dr. Case Study, says they are healing fine. Still sore though. And don’t you worry about the town, the repairs are coming along well, and the half-dozen discordant prisoners, the King left with us, have given us no trouble, and have in fact been a real help. Everything is looking up,” Flamberge explains.

“Prisoners? And… And they are being used as workers? W-Why? I’m probably being rhetorical… but… why can’t you just send them h-home…” Lightning questioned his tone shifting from nuetral to a questioning one.

"You know why we can't send them home, Lightning," Flamberge said, "and it was the Army that took them prisoner after the battle. Over a thousand discorants surrendered. We didn't know what to do with them all. The griffins took about a hundred discordant griffins, but that still left us about nine hundred insane, depressed ponies, it was either kill them, or put them to work across the country, the King did what he thought was best. Don't worry, they will be treated well enough, no point in working them to death. And those that weren’t combatants, some of them have been reunited with their families. Little Saffron is home, and with her parents again."

Lightning slowly nodded. “I-I’m glad they weren’t killed… I’m also glad that they won’t be treated like slaves…” He took a breath. “I didn’t see much of the battle… probably a good thing… but I only know what I heard and saw recently. A purple and green explosion, very vibrant, and s.ome ponies getting rid of bodies… Would it be to much to ask for you to tell me? Oh… and I know that Redhat… was killed in the battle.” He said, voice trailing off.

“I can tell you what I saw of the battle, if you like, Lightning. What do you want to know?” asks Flamberge.

“Just general information… I’m not interested in the gory details persay, but I just want to know what you saw… and if Mothe- Entropy is… dead”

Flamberge raised an eyebrow, but then says, “Well, I saw the first two waves of discordant troops break against our soldiers at the gate. That’s where Redhat was killed. I was watching over from above, when Entropy and a group of six well equipped discordians teleported behind our walls. I gave the order to attack, and started battling her guards. She raised the dead from the battlefield to fight with her. Undead dogs, and soldiers were everywhere, fortunately, they were slower and easily dispatched, but things were looking grim. I managed to get several good strikes on Entropy, and with the help of Gorget and Crosshair, we severely weakened her, when I bashed her skull with my hoof, there was a huge explosion of magical energy, and she turned into a tiny pony sized version of herself… And that’s when I killed her. I saw some discordants kill themselves and give into grief after that, then I blacked out. What happened after I only know from what others have told me.”

Lightning’s face went pale. “She’s...dead…” He said quietly. “She turned into a pony sized version of herself? That… that doesn’t sound like Her… D-Did she say anything b-before you…” He didn’t finish the sentence.

“Well, she tried to, but she only managed to say, “Flamberge, wait” before I raised my sword and killed her… How do you know what she would be like? You spoke to her before?” he questions.

His eyes widened in fear. “N-No I never spoke to her… I just.. er… read a lot of… books when I was a foal. Y-Yes…” He sighed. “W-Why didn’t you wait? M-Maybe she was… surrendering…”

“I didn’t want to risk giving her time to recover her magic. She left three marksponies crumpled and bleeding with a wave of her had. She could spew poison gas from her mouth. Reopen all my old injuries with a gesture, and paralyse a pony with a glare. We only barely managed to beat her down the first time, at great cost, we couldn’t have afforded another round,” Flamberge states unapologetically.

“You said she had become… a pony sized version of herself. Normally a size disadvantage like that compared to her… larger size, so what sense would it make for her to choose a form of that, over her original, much larger form while she recovered her magic?”

“I don’t think she chose to shrink. I believe her larger size was a function of her magic. The smaller size is what her race used to be like, before they were driven to near extinction hundreds of years ago, or at least that’s what she told me when we first met. I think when I broke her shield and the explosion happened, that she was out of magical power, and reverted to her true form, but I can’t be certain, I didn’t really have time to think about it, and she was too powerful to let go regardless,” Flamberge responds.

“Alright… T-Thanks for telling me… I… I… I hope everything is sorted out n-now… I-I think I need some time a-alone…”

Flamberge stands up, “Of course Lightning Runner, and I wish you a speedy recovery. My door is always open, when you are well enough to walk through it again. Good day.”

“Good day to you to.” Lightning says, a hint of grief in his tone, but it was barely noticeable unless you were deliberately paying attention to him.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 20, 2013, 02:02:25 am »

As of right now, this is the final post I'm planning to make in this thread.  Duskfields is over and done with for me, but by no means am I preventing anyone who still wants to post ending scenes from doing so.

I had some fun with it, but a wide variety of circumstances meant that Duskfields had to end a lot sooner than Dawnpick.  While the ending itself has more finality and direction to it than Dawnpick's I still feel unsatisfied with it.  I feel pretty unsatisfied with just about every facet of Duskfields.  I don't really know how I was expecting it to turn out, but the results definitely weren't it.  As a result, for anyone who hasn't stumbled across the unused Flash ending I threw up on my deviantART account, I'll reiterate here: I won't be making a successor to Duskfields or Dawnpick.  As of right now, I don't intend to run any more community forts.

I hope some of the players who stuck with this through to the end actually managed to enjoy it.  To those of you, I'm glad I could provide something you found worthwhile and thank you for bearing with me through everything.  For those of you who didn't enjoy Duskfields, I'm truly sorry.

And with this, I'll stop rambling: I naturally forgot to make a backup save before I began the final fight, but I will be uploading the save for the aftermath soon.  Check the first post under the yearly save snapshots.  The fort is in bad shape and on the cusp of a tantrum spiral, but it might be interesting to poke around in at least.

The following takes place an hour or so after Flamberge speaks with King Golud:

, , , Honor and Daybreak.

'Here lies Temperance Scribebakes, Baron of Duskfields.  Loving father of three and dedicated leader.  Born Galena 23, 230.  Died Obsidian 17, 273.'

Virtue reread the inscription on the small headstone over and over again, as if staring at the words would make them change.  This was it.  This was all he got.  Her baby brother poured his life into this town, sacrificing all of his spare time and his safety, helped forge it from nothing... and this was all he got.  A little stone with token words crudely carved into it that you could step over without noticing it was there... that was all he got.

She lowered her head and bit back more tears.  They didn't even tell her he was dead until they were on the way here.  It had happened weeks ago, but news traveled slowly.  The king knew long before she did.  He could have told her while she was still in Dawnpick.  But, he didn't.  He waited until she had gathered as many of her soldiers as she could to march to her brother's rescue only to tell her halfway there that he was dead.  There was never any saving him.  Coming here only meant that she could save what was left of his family.  That... was something, right?

Her legs felt weak, and she slumped to the ground.  Just a few feet down were the mortal remains of her little brother.  Crushed.  Shattered.  Broken.  All in the defense of the town he helped build.  She began gasping and heaving as the sorrow surged forward again to the point she couldn't contain it.  Why should she?  Because it wasn't lady like or noble for her to cry in public?  Who bucking cared?  Temperance was dead!  She'd cry all the buck she wanted to, and dared anypony to tell her to stop.  Even the king!  She buried her face in her hooves and let the tears come again, soaking her coat and dribbling onto the ground.  Maybe some would seep down to him... and maybe, wherever he was right now, he'd feel them and know she was here.  That she never forgot him, and that she did everything she could to get here and help him.  She... she just couldn't do it.

Why?  Why couldn't he have just listened to her!?  If he'd have just stayed in Coupledye, he'd still be alive and unhurt.  She could go see him now!  She could go see him and her parents, and they'd laugh and be happy, and everything would be alright!  But, no, he didn't listen, and she had been right all along!  Was it worth it!?  Becoming baron for a week!?  Was it worth his life!?

She whimpered and sobbed more.  Here she was, getting angry at him over this.  He was dead, and she was getting angry at him!  This wasn't his fault... he did everything right.  Why did it have to turn out this way?

The monster.  The draconequus.  Entropy.  It was her fault.  Virtue wiped her eyes and nose and stood before turning to face the still smoldering pile of corpses in the distance.  Off to itself, the thing's corpse still fumed a ghastly green and purple smoke from its blackened bones.  She glared at it, feeling an intense scowl form on her face.  Both front hooves stamped the ground as she screamed, "Why!?  Why did you do this to him!?  What did he ever do to anypony!?"  She snarled and stamped again, ignoring the new tears streaming down her cheeks.  "That stallion never hurt anypony!  He was the last of us to deserve this!  Was this some sort of petty revenge!?  From something none of us ever did to you?  From something that happened hundreds of years ago!?  Why!?"

She dropped back to the ground, whimpering and crying to herself again.  Entropy couldn't answer her.  The royal magicians made certain she was dead for good.  All Virtue could do was scream and shout at her body in search of answers that would never come.  She even cursed the gods under her breath, for which she asked forgiveness a moment later.

How long she wallowed in her sorrow, she didn't know, but finally she felt a gentle hoof on her withers.  After a quick attempt to make her face look more presentable, she glanced up to see the heavily pregnant Morning Dew and her three foals standing there, looking at her with similar sorrow and questioning looks on their faces.  "Morning Dew... I-I'm sorry... I just..."  She wiped her face again.

"I know," Morning Dew replied.  "It's okay... I... we went through this not long ago," she said, her voice on the verge of breaking.

Virtue whimpered again and took the mare into a weak hug.  Mountain Dew and her two little brothers joined in, and the five descended into a mass of sniffling, weeping ponies.

"Daddy... I-I miss you..."

"I'll never forget you, Temperance..."

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry..."

Time once again blurred as emotions poured forth.  For a moment, Virtue thought she could even hear Temperance's voice tell her how sorry he was and that everything really was okay, and that he was with Amug and Shin Paleduty now, but she knew that was just something in her head.  Panacea told her she wouldn't be able to take much more of this kind of stress...

"Aunt Virtue?  Are... are we moving away?" Mountain Dew asked, releasing her foreleg.

Virtue looked back at Morning Dew, who simply nodded.  She gently stroked Mountain Dew's mane, then her brothers Honor and Daybreak.  "Yes, sweetie.  You're going to come home with me, where it's safe and there and lots of nice ponies you'll want to meet."  She made a sad smile.  "You'll get to meet your cousins.  I know they'll love you."

Mountain Dew tried to smile, but slumped against her mother's side and bit at her trembling lip.  Honor and Daybreak huddled up with her, remaining silent.  Morning Dew scooped them into her forelegs and nuzzled each.  "It's okay... we'll all love Dawnpick."

The sight tugged at Virtue's heart again, and she raised a forehoof to her aching chest.  She was too late to save her baby brother, but there was something left to save here.  Four innocent, wonderful ponies who were hurting more than even she was.  She hugged them all again, but there were no words really to say.  They would return with her to Dawnpick, where they would never, on her life, be hurt again.  She wasn't going to let any of her family stay in this gods cursed place a moment more.  That the king had the audacity to think she'd let one of her children set hoof here...

She shut the anger out, to let the love return.  These ponies were safe now.  Nothing could hurt them now, or ever again.

And wherever Temperance was... he was safe too.  Never to hurt or be sad and cry like this ever again.

"I love you, little brother..." she mouthed, unable to find the strength to put it to words.

I love you too, big sis...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:37:40 am by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Kryptid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 21, 2013, 12:05:01 am »

This will be my final post in Duskfields. If anyone else wishes to use Case Study in further scenes, feel free to write him out on your own. I trust that the other members can keep him in character well enough.

It was the calm after the storm. The dead had been buried and the wounded had been treated. Having worked much of last night, Case Study had finally managed to catch enough of a break to sleep earlier in the day. When he had awakened, most the day had already vanished under the veil of a pink-orange sunset.

At this moment, Case was sitting under his favorite tree near the center of the fort. Whenever he got the urge to go outside, he would spend his time here under its numerous, healthy branches and listen to it rustle in the wind. He was more than a little surprised that the tree appeared completely untouched by the carnage that had transpired less than forty-eight hours ago. Not even a single leaf was stained with blood.

The doctor leaned back and stared up at the scattered, purple-gray clouds that contrasted against the tangerine sky, slowly allowing his eyes to be drawn towards the red disk of the setting Sun. He let his mind wander. How do you do it? How do you find the strength to rise and fall every day? No matter what happens, no matter what evil befalls the land, you stay faithful to your daily cycle. The stallion knew his inquiry would go unanswered by that crimson disk straddled on the horizon, but he didn’t care right now.

The physician lowered his face and closed his eyes. He wanted to be like the Sun. Like the tree. Both were impervious and enduring. For a while, Case had fooled himself into thinking that he was among their kind. Nothing could touch him or leave an indelible impression upon him. His character was steadfast and resilient. That’s what made him a good doctor.

Or so he thought. Duskfields had steadily strained his resolve over the years. The last two blows, however, were particularly piercing ones. The death of Temperance. The bloody battle that ensued soon after. He remembered how he couldn’t press his hooves against his ears tightly enough to muffle the screams he heard. No, scream wasn’t the right word. He didn’t know what term was appropriate for the grotesque vocalizations he heard coming from the battlefield yesterday.

He had seen strips of bloodied skin and snapped bone hanging in ways that made him question how such arrangements were physiologically possible. He had seen walking heaps of undead flesh that had no right to still be alive. More than that, he knew fear. Fear that he could become one of them if the army failed. The violence was safely in the past, but the images and sounds were burned into his brain.

It’s one thing to hear about such matters and an entirely different one to live through it firsthand. Case felt guilty that he had remained safely behind locked doors while others were battered and killed in the name of the same fort he called home. His mind dwelt on Redhat. She had come here specifically looking for safety and found death instead. And what of Galena? She had died simply because Case was unable to get to her quickly enough. Because he wasn’t good enough. Not fast enough. Then there was Temperance’s family, grieved with the untimely loss of a great stallion.

Once the last hint of light fell below the horizon, the blue pony admitted defeat. Being in his cherished spot had done nothing to console him. The beauty of an amber sky had also failed to calm his spirit. He wanted to quit and leave all of this behind. Things would be better back in Coupledye. Rising to his hooves, he accidentally knocked his head on a low-lying branch. Case rubbed the bump for a moment and sized up the undisturbed, wooden obstacle. Lucky you. You can’t be hurt.

At that moment, the smallest hint of a smile grew on his face. He had been tested and tried, but not broken. He could still be like the tree and the Sun. He could continue with his work. Duskfields has supported him this long, and he certainly wasn’t giving up on it. Case couldn’t quit. He wouldn’t quit. If not for anypony’s sake but the others. They still needed him.

It was small, but it was there. A tiny bit of hope and courage welled up within him. As he trotted back to his room under the darkening sky, he sighed and knew the road to recovery would be long and hard for all of them. He then realized aloud, “Hey, if I was the kind to shy away from hardship, I wouldn’t have become a doctor in the first place.”

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 21, 2013, 08:03:14 pm »

Woodchip looked around Duskfields, knowing that he could not stay there any longer. He couldn't. It would be only a matter of time before his absence from the battle would be noted.

He was safe. SmoothBlock was safe. They both survived the battle, and Entropy was dead. She was happy.

They had no plans for staying, because that would doom them both. He was going to be a father, anyway.

Even if he had live as a coward, he would live as one with his accepting, wonderful, mare. And his child. They would all live, far away from anything evil or rotten or foul.

Woodchip sighs. Isn't this a good end to this, anyway? Why was he tempted to try and find a few ponies in that mass of former Discordians?
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 29, 2013, 10:36:06 am »

To those interested, I have started a FimFiction Collection of this, similar to Paaaad and his Dawnpick collection.

While I would like many people to talk about it here, I would prefer to keep major discussion there to avoid major questions being missed.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28