Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28

Author Topic: Duskfields (My Little Fortress)  (Read 48472 times)

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
Re: Duskfields (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #375 on: July 26, 2013, 12:34:00 pm »

If you haven't been keeping up with the RP you're probably lost.   :)  Recently (in game time) Temperance was murdered by Flamberge because Flamberge was angry and jealous about him being promoted to baron.  In the process, he met the draconequus Entropy, who was responsible for the discordant ponies in the area:

Spoiler: Monster! (click to show/hide)

She vowed that she was going to come take all of the ponies in Duskfields or destroy it in the process.  That was several weeks ago in game, and it's difficult justifying putting her attack off, so I'm going to be doing it soon.

In addition, another thing you might have missed Splint, that could be a point of confusion, was that shortly after the death of Temperance, Max the griffin (DVNO's character, currently in prison for the murder of a member of the griffin caravan guard) used a magic stone, acquired through vaguely known means, to switch bodies with Flamberge. Thus presently, the Flamberge walking around town is really Max, and the real one languishes in prison for a crime different than the one he attempted to commit.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 26, 2013, 12:37:18 pm »

Well, murder is murder...

And now you've really lost me.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 26, 2013, 06:20:42 pm »

Well, murder is murder...

And now you've really lost me.

WELL IT GOES A BIT LIKE THIS

Some ponies go to form a farming town(woohoo) and it's normal except a few bad guys and a pony or two got stabbed

Later there is  a murderization of a certain Baron and then it becomes a clusterfuck of stuff!

Lightning Runner/Quarrel fucks off into the woods and gets hypnotized into being a Conservative Scum Double Agent

THere is this whole thing with Proddy and Redhat

Flamberge and Max do a brain swap type thing and become each other and are each other

AND THIS ENTROPY THING WILL ATTACK UNLESS WE SAVE DUSKFIELDS!!!!By forging the elements of harmony in the magma in mt. love

I hope I have helped

Probably not :P
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 06:25:36 pm by Iceblaster »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 29, 2013, 01:40:53 am »

Waiting time is over, my little ponies.  Time to face the music!  This is part one of the final battle.  No combat has been simulated in game yet, because I want to give everyone who still cares a chance to post pre-final battle scenes.  You'll have about an hour in character at most before the fight truly begins, which I will post later as the actual fight.  I still need to get some minor details from players on that.

It was early morning, and the sun had only just begun its trek across the sky.  Everything was normal, and Zweihander let out an exasperated sigh as he continued his patrol along the wall.  He stopped at the edge of the unfinished crenellations across the southern wall and shook his head.  This was taking too long.  He'd feel a lot better once the battlements were finished.  What if they got attacked from another direction?

No, that wasn't what had him on edge.  It was the waiting and being cooped up in a town big enough for maybe seventy ponies that really had ninety, all on top of the morose tone that had settled more or less permanently now.

Temperance was dead.  That was an utter shock.  He hadn't had a lot of interaction with the stallion, but he was always polite and friendly to him when they did.  Everypony else seemed to like him for the most part.  His wife and children were good ponies too.  He liked them.  Everypony did.  Seeing them absolutely shattered after their beloved's passing was very painful.  It was one of the reasons he opted for patrol on the walls when he could.  It got him away from that.  Anytime he passed one of Temperance's family in the streets there was that unspoken "Why?" look on their face.  He didn't know.  Gods and goddesses he didn't know what was going on anymore.

He brushed his hoof against the stonework of a firing port and started back on his patrol.  Flamberge was the one who ran into Temperance.  After he'd been twisted into one of those psychotic bloodthirsty discordants somehow.  Flamberge hadn't been right after that.  The pegasus definitely had issues with Temperance.  You'd have to be pretty blind and stupid not to see it, but being forced to kill him because of that?  Yeah, even Flamberge wasn't made of tough enough stuff to just walk away from that unaffected.  He didn't want to meet the pony that could.

Something had to give.  Duskfields felt like it was a giant bowl of tension held inside these walls, just waiting for somepony to come along and let it out before the walls blew apart from it.  Zweihander snorted and swished his tail, passing Gorget coming the other way without a word.  See?  Everypony was just trudging along now out of duty or apathy or whatever.  There was no life left in Duskfields.  The moment they got word from Coupledye on how to handle Temperance's passing, he was putting in for a transfer to somewhere else.  Anywhere else.  He was going to lose his mind here.

Gods, he just wished something would happen.

Something caught his eye.  He glanced through the firing port on his left and watched the horizon.  Another one of those forsaken red clouds.  Word had already spread through town on what they did.  That was what happened to Temperance.  How or why nopony knew, but that's what happened.

He snorted again and started back on his patrol.  In four years the clouds never came close to the town.  It seemed almost like they couldn't.  Nopony even cared anymore when they showed up.  Just don't be stupid and go out in them and you'd be fine.  End of story.

That counted as something at least.  Five seconds of alleviated boredom.  He started back on his patrol, passing the far side of the finished construction work.  The red cloud extended the entire way along the wall.  That was unusual, but not unheard of.  He paused and turned around in place.  The clouds... they were everywhere.  The entire town was surrounded!  This was new!  He'd never seen this before!  "Clop!  Clop me with Redhat's spear!" he exclaimed, trotting toward the nearest stairs.  Oh, this was bad.  Very, very bad.  Flamberge needed to know right now!

Something else caught his eye.  Movement in the clouds.  Lots of movement.  Pony shapes.  Flying things.  Griffons and pegasi.

Discordants.  Hundreds maybe.  A thousand?  Oh.  Buck.

"Flamberge!  Crosshair!  We!  Are!  Under!  Attack!" he screamed at the top of his lungs, skipping stairs as he galloped full speed for the barracks.

Standing in the red haze she had conjured, Entropy studied the town before her.  She felt... something.  Confidence?  Yes.  Satisfaction?  Certainly.  Vindication?  Not yet, but soon.  ...apprehension?  More than she would admit.

This situation was more delicate than it appeared.  Many things could go wrong.  She had not lived four centuries around ponies without learning to not underestimate them.  They could not stop her.  She alone could crush them.  They could not resist her.  Flamberge and everypony would bow to her before the day was out.  So why did she feel a hint of worry?

A pony nuzzled her side and she lowered her hand to stroke his mane.  She wanted to go and fight alone, so they could not suffer more at the hooves of these cursed ponies.  Yet they begged and pleaded with her to help, and she gave in.  It would reduce the risk regardless.  If things went poorly she could still save them.

"Are we ready yet?" he asked her.  Deadly Strike.  That was his name.  He was among the oldest and most skilled of her children, and insisted on coming.

"Soon.  Very soon," she assured him.  "Remain here."

She strode forward until she exited the concealing fog.  The ponies could see her here, but not attack her.  Good.  They needed to see their impending doom, and to appreciate what was about to happen.  She worked an invisible spell, and announced in a voice that carried to the horizon, "Ponies of Duskfields... you have slain my children and trespassed on our lands for too long.  You have sent for your armies to come and destroy us, but today the world will learn that we will be pushed around no longer."  She scowled and anger entered her voice.  "Today marks the beginning of the end.  Cower and despair inside your walls, because they will not save you.  Surrender yourselves to me now, or suffer."

She clenched a fist.  "Resist... and I will show you why you should fear me..."

The greater draconequus Entropy has come!

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 01:19:34 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 29, 2013, 03:20:13 am »

Great. now I wanna come up with something but nothing springs to mind.

rakasha01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 29, 2013, 10:51:00 am »

THE END IS NEAR!!  :)
Tear my wings, break my bones, rip me asunder, my spirit will never break with these broken wings i will fly into the eternal sky

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 31, 2013, 01:28:16 am »

and along with

Quarrel was preparing for supporting Mother’s attack. He look around in his bags and found the peytral and crupper he had stored for this moment and hastily put them on, fastening the straps and making sure everything was secure. Once he had finished with his armor, he put on a cloak that obscured his armor, making sure nopony would be suspicious on how a traveler would have military grade armor.

He checked his cloak pockets, making sure his concealed weapon was there. He made a mental checklist on what he was to do, and he had done most of what he needed to do. The last thing he had to do for sure, was to make sure Flamberge... or whoever was leading their army was out of the picture. He turned around, put on his saddlebags and began towards the barracks, hoping he could find Flamberge easily.

Prodd stepped out of the barracks fully equiped, he had the graveyard shift again. Sighing he looked at the cloaked figure approaching the barracks. He thought he saw a glimpse of armor, but he could have been wrong. Prodd sighed again remembering Lightning’s disappearance, he saw him run off into the night from his post. He should have done something that night, but he couldn’t change the past. Prodd looked the traveler up and down and readied his guard voice. “Halt traveler.” He said, “State your business...”

Quarrel stopped and let out a small sigh. “I am... Finding somewhere safe. I heard the barracks has an underground portion and I assumed that would be able to be defended easily.”

“...You heard right.” Prodd responded. “‘Course the underground portion was only known by us soldiers... one having left recently into the night and having never been seen again.” He was obviously suspicious now. “...What’s your name traveler?” He shifted a little to block the main entrance with his body.

Quarrel was getting annoyed, but he kept quiet, as this would get him caught. “Quarrel of Runner Clan”

“Runner?” Prodd asked. “Remove that cloak, now!” Lightning would be dumb enough to use his own last name if he was going to come back. Or this could be his murderer...

“Getting a bit antsy aren’t you. You haven’t even treated me to dinner” Quarrel joked around, hoping to distract Prodd from his questions. “Sir, I have came here to mourn the loss of my brother.”

“Yeah, how do you know he’s dead? And I said remove the hood.” Prodd said, his voice moderately intimidating. He backed his tone with a loaded crossbow pointed at this Quarrel.

Quarrel’s eyes widened in fear... feigned fear, but a little fear was still in his stance. “Whoah whoah... I’ll comply, don’t shoot” He raised a hoof to his hood and pull it back, revealing his face for all to see. “Anything else? You want me to dance for ya-” He began in a joking tone of voice before being cut off by Prodd

“Shut up.” He said flatly. “The only Runner here was named Lightning... and you look just like him, albeit faded. You twins?” He kept his crossbow at the ready, however pointing it to the ground.

Quarrel’s stance went back into a neutral stance, and began to take a moment to think. “Y-Yes... Yes we are. Now have I answered your questionnaire to receive a shipment of cake? If so, can I please go and hide in this bunker type thing so I don’t get killed or maimed or whatever by this force.”

“I would... but Lightning told me he was an only foal.” Prodd said. “And considering what’s coming and all this foul magic in the air... I’d wager some thief got corrupted by those vile forces of darkness...” He explained. His crossbow was right back up. “You have two choices, either you come with me and I lock you up... or I make you come with me.” He was ready to fire in a hair of a second, and he knew how to make his shots non-lethal.

Quarrel sighed. “I really didn’t want anypony to find out... Alright you found me out. Now what are you going to do?” He took a short step towards Prodd. “Send me to Case Study? Lock me up? Kill me?”

Prodd gestured to where he stepped as the recently primed trap sprung under ‘Quarrel’s’ hoof. He then shot his old friend square in the left wing, flying away would be pretty hard for him now.

Quarrel held back a scream, however it was getting hard as the sudden pain was a bit much for him. “F-F-Fuck... Wh-Why... A-All I did...” He wasn’t able to finish his sentence.

“Let’s go Lightning.” Prodd said. He hauled the crippled pegasus onto his back and made his way to the prison cells. He’d get his dulled trap out of his friend’s leg once he got back to normal. Prodd was glad he was a guard here, nopony questioned what he was doing; although his methods turned a few heads. Once they reached the cell, Lightning was immediately restrained to a bed.

Quarrel mentally swore as now even as a surprise, his dagger was out of reach and even then, his hooves are strapped to the bed. “Wh-What now?” He drew a breath. “Y-You... going ta... kill me? M-Mother will destroy you... Duskfields will p-perish...” He rambled, hoping it would save him.

Prodd raised an eyebrow at this. He got his gear out of the injured pegasus and quietly bandaged him up. The next problem was getting his friend back to normal. Prodd sighed once more, this whole fiasco has been nothing but worrying. “Lightning... tell me what happened...” He should have about two hours before anypony comes down here to investigate.

“I-I found... I h-have a place in the w-world...” Quarrel began. “Mother cares for me... N-None of you do...”

Prodd smacked him upside the head. “Lightning... listen to me.” He paused, making sure his friend was paying attention. “You were a good friend Lightning, albeit a bit dim, but that’s not what’s important. You have a family Lightning. Sweet Potato. Mist. Yam. They love you, and care about you.” He sighed. “But most importantly... they goddamn need you Lightning! Your family needs you!” Prodd calmed himself. “And working with the enemy won’t help them... the discordians want us all dead for whatever we did... that includes mares and foals.”

“My family is.... Th...They are....” Quarrel took a breath. “My f-family is... out there.... waiting.....” Prodd was getting through, however Quarrel was trying his best to not fall for Prodd’s trickery.

“DAMNIT  LIGHTNING!!!” Prodd uncharacteristically shouted. “Think about your foals. They need their father! Especially considering Sweet Potato’s condition! And what about Sweet Potato?! Are you just going to abandon her for some mind-possessing bitch?!” He wasn’t sure about the last part, but Lightning kept rambling on about some mother, and he doubted it was his true parent.

“I...I...They...” Quarrel began to see the fault in his ways. “Sweet P-Potato...” His eyes began to tear up. “Oh Amug what have I done...” He said to himself.

“Lightning we all need you. Please stop this madness... come back to us...” Prodd sighed. He sensed the bad magic waning off of his friend, the color to his coat and mane began to come back, albeit barely considering it was still faded. “I’m sorry Lightning...”

“I-I’m sorry... I...I’m sorry” Lightning looked at the wall. “I don’t want them to see... I... They won’t trust me...”

“...They will Lightning, they’ll trust you.” Prodd said, “After all... you haven’t betrayed us yet... and you can still help too...” He paused, “If you want to help us...”

“Y-Yes I... I will... help... anything to make up for... what I did” His vision was still blurred by tears, however he could see well enough to notice his restraints still being tied. “P-Prodd... c-can you undo these?”

Prodd was wary about releasing him. Even though he was his friend, Prodd still sensed some evil magic lingering inside Lightning. “...Not yet.” He sighed. “I’ll... I’ll need to alert Flamberge... you’re technically an enemy.” He got up to leave and tell his superior what transpired. “I’ll make sure he doesn’t hurt you... friend.” Prodd’s heart said Lightning was his friend again, his brain was suspicious as always. It’d be in the best interest of Duskfields to alert the acting leader about this.

Flamberge finishes writing the general guidelines for the civilian militia at his desk when he receives a knock on his office door. “Come in.” he said casually.

Prodd opened the door and saluted. “Sir... Lightning Runner came back, he is- er was... corrupted by the Discordant magic. He’s being held in the prison, I felt I should alert you of this...”

Flamberge smiled. “See? And you all thought all the extra security was obstructive. Excellent. Let us poke around his brain, see what this corruption does.” Flamberge trots to the front of his desk. 

“Sir!” Prodd interrupted. “We... we don’t have to do that... it’s the work of dark magic... a lobotomy wouldn’t solve anything.” He sighed. “I thought that he could give us information about the Discordants, maybe he knew a few weaknesses from when he was getting possessed...”

“Sure, that works too.” Max laughs at Prodd implying he was going to lobotomize the pony. “Lead on, Prodd.”

“Yes sir...” Prodd responded to the order and led the way to the prison. “Lightning should be stable- emotionally... and I did restrain him earlier...” He sighed again. “He wants to help... but I’m still wary of him, I... can still sense some dark magic off of him...”

Flamberge keeps pace and inquires further. “So, where was he when he was contaminated by the red mist?”

“I... I don’t know, you should ask him yourself...” Prodd opened the door to the prison and went over to his restrained friend. “Lightning, Flamberge’s here... if there’s anything you need to tell us, now would be the best time...”

Lightning looks up to see Flamberge and Prodd enter the room. “H-Hello... Flamberge.” He said, his voice shaky. “Y-Yes... b-but can I can g-get out of these restraints... that would be nice”

“Well,” Flam struts up to the cell bars. “That depends, how nice you want to be is directly proportional to how nice I want to be. Were you going to be nice? Or is Prodd going to have to use his crossbow?”

“I promise not to hurt you... even if I wanted to... It’d be two on one. Now please can I get out of these restraints”

“Flamberge... it’s your call. I still sense a dark presence within Lightning...” Prodd stepped back from his friend. “I’d recommend restraining him and locking the cell door... just in case this feeling is right...” He looked to his captain for the final decision.

“Eeh, sure.” He looks down to his sword. “I’ll take that risk. Stand guard by the door, Prodd. In case.” Flamberge takes out his master set of prison keys and moves to unchain Lighting Runner.

Prodd nodded and took up position outside the cell door, poking his crossbow between the bars. Just in case.

Lightning softly mutters. “Thank you” as Flamberge undoes his chains

Flamberge kneels and gets on Lightning’s level. “Tell me, what happened to you?” He asked in a stern but concerned tone.

Thoughts went through Lightning’s head. Thoughts telling him to kill Flamberge. Others telling him to tell the truth. He tried to mentally shrug off the thoughts to kill Flamberge, but they remained. “I....I went into... my- their homeland”

“Whose homeland? The Discordants? What did you see? Can you give me their numbers? Even just a rough count?”

“Y-yes... Discordants... ponies. I saw... a big clearing. Tents as far as I could see... there were” He paused for a moment and took a moment to remember that day. “I saw.... hundreds...”

Prodd listened to the conversation, he’d intervene when he saw a reason to.

“Alright. Why? Why did they want you? Why did they not just kill you immediately? Like everypony else?” Flam questions further.

“Th-Their leader... M-mothe- I mean... erm...” He stopped. He never got this... thing’s name. “I’m s-sorry... but I never g-got her name... If it helps... she looked like a serpant with h-hooves and h-hands. L-Like a monkey... but different... maybe claws... I don’t know... she looked like she had been dead for weeks and decided to g-go for a walk”

Flam grimaces “Did it start with an ‘E’ ?”

“I didn’t get a name... I’m sorry...”

“Her name was Entropy. Princess of decay. Go on.”

“A-Alright... Sh-She did something and this red shroud.... it surrounded her claws and she put it on my forehead... and... I became that bastard of a pony.”

Flam looks around the room, emphasizing to Lightning he didn’t know the bastard pony referenced. “Is this bastard of a pony still in this room?” Flam asks, slowly reaching to his sword.

“N-no” Lightning said, not noticing Flamberge reaching for his sword. “I-Is there anything else F-Flamberge?”

“Flamberge?” Prodd asked from behind the bars. His crossbow was loaded, and anyone in that cell could be a target.

Flamberge’s eyes turned to slits.”She sent you to kill me. Clever Girl.”

Lightning’s eyes widened in panic. “W-What are you going to d-do?”

Prodd’s crossbow was swapping between Lightning and Flamberge. He needed to pick a target, and soon. Or... maybe he could solve this nonviolently... with magic?

Flam smiles and unsheathes his sword. “It’s simple.” He raises his sword and cuts off a piece of his own mane. “You are going to go back to her, and tell her you have succeeded. Or we will put a bolt through you.”

“Wh-What if she doesn’t call off the attack? What i-if she w-wants proof?” Lightning asks, eyes fixated on the sword.

“Here’s your proof.” He lifts the long gold and grey dreadlock. “If she expected you leaving here with my head, past the gate, well I’m afraid she sent you on a suicide mission anyway.” He hoofs the Lightning imitator the strand. “I don’t expect her to call off the attack even on my death. The stories .... I was a fool!”

Lightning still stood in place, afraid to move, for Flamberge might just call of his peacefulness in no time. “Wh-What if she senses I-I’m not the s-same...” He said, hoping to stall his leave as much as possible.

“That, my good pony is not my problem. Prodd. Re-cuff him. Then lead him to the gate. Then shoot him in the wing. Make it look like there was a struggle getting to me. Let him walk back home and send a pony to follow him. I want numbers!” He shouts.

Something Lightning screamed for him to speak up and he was thinking of doing just that. “No. I’m not letting you hurt them. True they are ‘enemies’, but that doesn’t mean they can change. Their minds are just clouded by this thing’s magic! C-Can’t you see that!” Lightning shouted, his fear suddenly melting away.

Flam quirks a brow. “That is some interesting information. So you suddenly care about the ponies overtaken by the dark magic. Then why didn't you slit the throat of the source of the magic when you had the chance, assassin?” Flamberge inquired. “Who am I even talking to?”

Prodd had lowered his crossbow and just stared blankly at what was transpiring.

“You are talking to somepony who thinks that once we take care of this thing, these ponies who will, inevitably, collapse can instead reintegrate” Lightning realized what he had just done and took his tone back to normal levels. “I apologize for my outburst... but I have heard the lies this thing says... I want to stop this war... this ‘army’ I saw was nothing more than a simple militia scaled up ten times and there were foals in this place I saw. Foals that will lose parents or parental figures if this war continues” He forcibly stops himself, as it seemed Flamberge was fed up with his ranting.

Flamberge shrugs. “And what am I supposed to do? Against brainwashed masses vying to kill me, ready to assault us at a moments notice? Sorry, Mister Lightning. My foals take priority over theirs. Prodd you have your orders.”

Prodd spoke up. “Flamberge what the hell? If we have the chance to end this war with minimal bloodshed, we should take it in a second!” He sighed. “This is just like Carnith... you impulsively and recklessly charged into the fray without thought, just because your opponent isn’t like you. Imagine if Carnith was here now, imagine if he decided to fight with us...”

Flamberge took that in for a long while. “Prodd. Find me a peaceful solution and I will follow it to the letter. In the meantime. I believe I gave you orders, and you are talking up to a superior. And Carnith? I will make sure to not make the same mistake twice. I guarantee you that.”

“Sorry sir, but it needed to be said...” Prodd saluted. “And if what Lightning said is true... we might have a shot at this.” He turned to face his friend. “Is there anything else you can tell us?”

“No... I’m sorry Prodd. I have told you all I know” Lightning said, looking towards the ground.

“It’s alright friend... I’m glad to have you back.” Prodd smiled slightly and looked back to Flamberge. “So... how can we win this Commander?”

“If I may interrupt...” Lightning came up with an idea, mainly one that could help. “If we are lucky, Moth- Entropy won’t detect my change with her magic. I could in theory have a chance to convince her to call off her troops... and maybe our peaceful solution can be commenced.”

“Is there even a chance that could work? Can we convince Entropy?” Prodd asked. He was willingly to try, regardless of how low the odds of success were.

“There will never be any chance if we don’t try. From what she used to attack my former way of thinking, it was mainly ‘They don’t love you, however I love you’ and if I can somehow twist that...” He stopped, and began to think the plan out.

“This is all hinging on the fact she does not just kill you the second you get back. Or worse, just flip back to the “other’ pony.” Flamberge scoffed. “Listen, Lightning. If you wish to go back to that dark place, I commend you for bravery; but don’t waste such an opportunity on diplomacy -” Flamberge brandishes a knife. “Try it your way if you wish. Or, take this, and plunge it deep into her heart while you still have the element of surprise. The thing about a suicide mission is you can’t buck it up. She will kill you when she realizes i’m alive. End this for Duskfields once and for all, and your family name will be legend. I don’t see many good outcomes for you now, so why not go out with a bang?”

“I know she’ll kill me if I buck up... but... even if I attempt to do as you say, she’ll see it coming a mile away.” He reached into his cloak and pulled a dagger out. “And Flamberge my good sir, I have my own.”

Flam looks terribly surprised. “Prodd. Whatever happened to checking prisoners for weapons?”

“Oh I knew it was there... And besides,” Prodd tapped on the bars. “The potential threat’s contained.”

“You still do not trust me?” Lightning said in confusion. “I just gave you vital information. And you do not trust me. If I was a spy, I’d have given little to no information, and even then it’d be stuff that didn’t matter”

“...No offense Lightning, but for an ex-thief you are the most uncoordinated pony with a melee weapon I have ever seen.” Prodd chuckled, trying to raise the mood slightly and cheer up his friend.

“Ha.Ha. Now please Prodd, can I get out of this cell?” Lightning said, annoyance prominent in his voice.

Flamberge nods at Prodd. “Let him go. Let him walk there. If he flies? shoot him out of the air.”

“Oh yeah... sorry about the bolt Lightning... and the trap...” Prodd winced as he apologized. He then opened the cell and released the veteran criminal of Duskfields.

“Thank you... and I forgive you” He held up a hoof towards Prodd.

Prodd lightly pounded his hoof against his friend’s. “Take care of yourself out there...” He paused . “...hypothetically speaking, if you didn’t make it back... I’ll help take care of your family... I mean, if there was even a chance of you dying...”

He kept himself from tearing up. “Thanks. I’ll stay safe. I expect you to stay safe as well” He smiled for the first time that day

Flamberge quirks a smile. “And Prodd goes in for the rebound. Bow Chicka Bow wow.”

Prodd rolled his eye and left the two for the archery range. It’d make sense he’d use the targets one last time before their darkest hour.

“I guess this is time for me to go?” Lightning asks rhetorically.

Flamberge gives him a solid hoof shake. “Let the hope of Duskfields be at the wings of your back, Lightning. Godspeed.”

Lightning nods. “And don’t take it too hard, but” He cloak falls and his armor clad body is seen. “This stuff was on me the whole time.” Lightning chuckles before getting a more serious tone. “Seriously though, If I fail, I pray you will be able to defend Duskfields.”

“I will have my revenge Lightning. Nothing, pony or god, Draconequus will stand in it’s way. I. AM. NOT. BUDGING. TO HER.” Flamberge storms away to prepare.

“Yes.” He trotted into the empty cell and picked up the lock of hair and his dagger. “I now take my leave. May Nirmek shine his Mercy on us today.” He said to nopony in particular.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:39:52 am by Iceblaster »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 31, 2013, 11:22:35 pm »

and

Lightning Runner stood infront of the gate. The red clouds that had surrounded the town grew thicker, as if beckoning him to return to his former ways. He bit down on the grip of his dagger and made sure he hadn’t lost the lock of hair Flamberge had given to him. “I have to do this... I can’t stop” He said to himself. He began to trot towards the clouds. Many would of called him an idiot before, but knowing what he knew, he could possibly resist their mental suggestions.

He trotted out of the walls and over the moat, and as soon as his back legs were on the grass on the other side, the cranks on the bridge began to make noise, signalling that it was being lifted, probably to deter any non pegasi from entering. He took a deep breath before beginning his trot towards the foreboding clouds. Thoughts of whether he made the right decision came to him. Was he going to even have a chance at dissuading the one who will most certainly wipe out Duskfields?

He shook his head. He couldn’t think of that now. He was committed, and backing out now would be a cowardly move. He entered the cloud. Voices began to fill his hearing. “With me you shall be loved as no one else has.” “These ponies never cared for you. They wouldn’t take a bolt for you. However, I would.”

From the corner of one eye, he saw a sickly coated stallion start toward him.  “Weren’t you happier as my brother, Lightning?” Temperance asked longingly.  Another stallion, this time a green unicorn, crawled from a pit ahead, trailing decaying flesh in his wake.  “Do you remember me, Lightning?  I’m Hauberk.  They sent me to my death, just like they’re sending you.”  Both ponies vanished in a flash as he tried to focus on them.

“H-Have to focus...” Lightning said to himself. “Can’t... fall to her tricks” He continued, his pace quickening. He wanted to spend the least amount of time here as possible, hopefully his target, Entropy, wouldn’t be nesting inside one of these. As he got further and further, the clouds got thicker and thicker. “How... thick is this?” His vision was reduced to a few feet in front of him, The voices continued, getting louder than they were before. “Weren’t you happy when you were one of us? Part of the family?” one asked, as if it expected a response.

“Yes...” He shook his head. “But... it was mental suggestion. True loving mothers wouldn’t send their children to die” He responded as if the voice would reply.

A crack of displaced air rolled past Lightning Runner from behind, and a distorted female voice asked, “Do you think I just sent you to die?”

“This mission that I was sent on was suicide! You’re lucky I wasn’t killed trying to do this” He responded. “Before today. Hell many years you sent your ‘children’ to die, and for what? Some land we would gladly share if you didn’t try to kill us. Mother. You mean well... but is killing the answer?” He asked, turning around hoping to talk to Her face to face

Entropy stood silently in the clearing behind him, studying him for a moment.  “You’ve returned to normal.  How... interesting.”  She strolled toward him, keeping an air of curiosity about her.

He stood his ground, biting the grip of his dagger once more. “Yes. I... I still wish to serve you... but... the ponies of Duskfields... Punishing them for something they had no idea about.” He kept his eyes locked with hers. “They had no knowledge this was your land. Is punishing them for it something that is right? Killing them for it... is it right?” He asks.

She cocked her head.  “Killing them all?  No, that wouldn’t be right.”  She started circling Lightning Runner slowly.  “After what I’ve shown you, you think that’s what I really had planned here?”

Lightning shook his head. “No not at all Mother”

“Then what do you see?  What do you believe my intentions were here?  Are here?”

“Remove Duskfeilds. Get rid of it. Take back what you believe is your’s and nopony elses.” LIghtning said rather bluntly. “Is that what they are? Or am I wrong once more”

She stopped and looked him square on.  “Partly, but more than that.  Duskfields is a threat to me and all of us, so, yes, I am removing it as a threat.  But not by killing its inhabitants, or even the army of ponies coming to its rescue.”  She narrowed her eyes.  “Not even the griffon army.”  With that, she flapped her wings once and went back to circling him.  “You know what I had in store for them.”

His vision was clouded by dust for a moment after Entropy flapped her wings, but he continued despite this. “A militia. An army sized Militia. That is what you have as a front for their removal, but pray tell, how do you plan on defeating whoever comes to reclaim this place? Toss more of our brothers and sisters at it? Or will you try to solve it, while keeping your children and my brothers and sisters alive?” Lightning questioned, putting an accusing tone to his words.

She stopped and raised her arms wide.  “Look around you.  You’ve seen the magic I’ve wrought here.  When the armies arrive they’ll be powerless.  Not a single drop of blood will have to be shed.  They will all put down their weapons and bow to me, then live with their brothers and sisters in perpetual harmony.”  She sneered.  “That’s not something that will ever happen any other way.”

Lightning rolled his eyes. “I could go on for hours on the flaws in your ‘Bring more ponies into a space’ thing, but I won’t.” He took a breath. “Enough blood has been shed in this war. I have seen the dead. I saw Temperance, Hauberk and the others killed by you, regardless if you were there or not. Ponies on both side have died, and will most likely never see a day when both ‘Discordant’  and ‘Regular’ pony can live together, without the use of those terms, but continuing this war will just lead to more pointless death.” he took one final breath. “And these armies being powerless? Not all of them will happily march towards a red cloud or somepony like you, like you think they will” He said, his tone becoming angrier than normal. “Think of the ponies you hate. They are not all the same. Hell I’m sure most of them would gladly share their land with you. This.... generalization blurs your vision. The futility of this is like the conquest of the Draconquuses. Neither side will be wiped out, and the ones who do survive will be filled with hate.” He turned away from her, and faced the direction he came. “I’m sorry I wasted your time. I will take my leave. I pray you will see the light and try to be peaceful” His voice took on a disappointed tone as he slowly trotted away from Entropy.

Lightning’s hooves are instantly anchored to the ground as he trotted off.  “Peace?  I gave peace a chance,” she said.  “Ponies and griffons don’t want peace.  Neither do the zebras, nor any other creature on this world.”  She walked in front of Lightning.  “When I gave peace a chance, the griffons tried to kill me.  Many times.  When I gave peace a chance, the griffons killed my family.  When I gave peace a chance, the ponies killed me!” she exclaimed at him, lowering herself closer to his face.  “Four hundred years haven’t changed a thing about griffons and ponies.  But I can change them.”

“Forcibly changing somepony isn’t going to solve anything! They are just following mental suggestion! You should know this more than anypony else!” He shouted.

She chuckled.  “You’re wrong, Lightning.  When every pony listens to me, they’ll never hurt anyone again.  And the armies don’t have to blindly run into my magic.  I can always take it to them.”

“Mother...” Lightning sighed. “I-I’m just trying to stop unneeded bloodshed... their commanding officer is willing to listen for a peaceful solution, and everypony in town will listen to him. It just seems you are too stubborn to listen... I’m sorry... I-I’ve been a bad child...”

Entropy raises an eyebrow.  “Flamberge is willing to listen to a peaceful solution?  I suppose next the gods will descend and strike me dead?”  She stood erect again.  “You’re not a bad son, Lightning.  Nor are you even a particularly bad pony.  But Flamberge?  He is the essence of what I seek to remove from this world.  A pony who is willing to murder innocents because they offend him.”

“Y-Yes... b-but... I have seen Fl-Flamberge recently... his actions have... ch-changed...” He says, his voice trailing off. “A-and he said it himself. ‘Prodd find me a peaceful solution’ if I remember correctly”

She grinned.  “He is afraid of me then.  Finally he realizes even he can’t stand up to me.  Good.  I may be able to spare his life yet.”

The magical forces binding Lightning to the ground held firmly as she half turned to leave.  “If only you were right, Lightning, then more heartache and pain than you can begin to comprehend could have been and yet be avoided.  As it is, I know what I have to do.  When all of this is said and done, I look forward to speaking with you again.  It is rare that I have opportunities to have open, honest conversations anymore.  Much less with a pony who isn’t bent on my destruction.”

She turned away fully and swiped her hand through the air, releasing Lightning.

Lightning saw his chance. She is unaware... unseeing of his actions. He said a short prayer to Amug before going through with Flamberge’s former wish.

He propelled himself upward with his wings and dashed towards Entropy, dagger in mouth, ready to burrow itself into her.  An explosion of green magic crackled from the impact of the dagger, and Lightning was tossed backward to the ground.  Entropy slowly turned to face him, scowling.  The flickering green persists for a moment across her entire body before fading.  “You came to me, speaking of peace.  I spared your life, and trusted your word enough to leave you unchanged.”  She stepped heavily toward him, and a faint red aura began to surround her.  “And that is how you act?”

His ears still ringing he is just barely able to make out her words. He began to panic. “I’m so sorry... don’t kill me please” He spat out, hoping it would save his life.

Her hair began to float gently, caught up in the growing magic.  “Don’t worry,” she said in a mocking tone.  “I won’t kill you, because I understand more than you realize.  It’s your nature.”  She thrust a hand downward and Lightning was crushed beneath an impossibly heavy force.  He felt all four of his legs buckle and the bones snap.  “You’ll live,” she sneered.  “And perhaps while I finish my business with Duskfields, you’ll have time to think and come to understand.”  She turned and walked off, letting the magical glow die off.

“I-I-” He coughed up a bit of blood. “S-Sorry...” Was all he could think of saying

There was no reply.  From the woods a discordant zebra and earth pony walked past him, cast him a disapproving glance and carried on without a further word.  He was alone.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 31, 2013, 11:53:59 pm »

(This takes place sometime before the big invasion)
 It was mid-morning, even if the state of the sun outside meant little to most of the ponies who lived deeper inside Duskfields, who’s days were dictated by when they woke up and when they went back down to bed, but Wood Chip tried to keep his timescale right. It wasn’t especially cold underground, especially when one had another pony beside them, like he did, but neverless he felt cold.

The next few minutes were very important, after all.

It was three months since the night Smoothblock moved in with him, and the last three had been very kind to the both of them, but now it was time to face the music of what this meant to the both of them, especially because of a little thing that he hoped she would have brought up before him.

Mainly, she was starting to swell a little.

“Smoothblock, honey, we need to talk.” he said, trying to sound as chipper as possible to the little mare at his side.

“About me being preggers right?” SmoothBlock took a drink of water and patted WoodChips gently on the back of the neck.

Wood Chip blinked. This just made things a lot simpler “When did you figure it out?”

“The same time I stopped smoking. The day that “Who can go without booze the longest” bet started.” She leaned on him “Thanks for caring enough to try and be quiet about it.”

Wood Chip simply blinked at his wonderful, wonderful mare, and leaned his head closer to her’s. “Smoothie, I almost yelled it across town when I knew, but I know you want that to be quiet. But don’t tell me that you are happy for me for doing that, please. I did it because I love you.”

“I’m happy because you love me. This, is hard though, I don’t want to be in DuskFields to have a family. Those crazy ponies are going to get everypony killed, and then it will be just us.” SmoothBlock sighed and hugged Woodchips warmly.

Wood Chip felt a little bold, so he pulled on SmoothBlock as he leaned backwards, giving her a big carefree grin. “ I have to agree, we do need to leave, but let’s stay here for just a few more days so we can get ready.”

“We can do that, we would want to leave with the caravan anyway. I want you in the bunker the second anything bad happens, you understand? We can get out of here and my mom can get me a job someplace else.” SmoothBlock snuggled close to WoodChips, laying on his chest.

Wood Chip’s grasp on the mare didn’t relent, and pulled her in as snuggly as he could. “Somewhere with tree’s, though. I need to support us too, and I don’t want you to mine as much with...a foal.”

“There are underground trees... I’ll ask for us to go someplace with trees and hills. And I’ll go easy on the mining, I won’t stress myself.” SmoothBlock nodded her head and nuzzled WoodChips “Promis.”

Wood Chip thought that over for a few moments, and then suddenly decided to take the moment to nuzzle her belly, or at least how one could go along doing so. “Oh, you better not. I have bits saved up, and I hope you enjoy being treated like a princess, because for the next few month’s you are going to be mine.”

SmoothBlock giggled and grinned ear to ear “You’re so good to me Woody. I’m happy to be yours.” She coo’d softly as WoodChips rubbed her belly.

Wood Chip tisked playfully. “Oh, hush. If anything, I am yours. Actually, I have a question, and I hope you don’t take it the wrong way.” he said slowly, easing up on the tummy rubbing.

“Go ahead and ask.” Smoothblock pouted a little as the belly rubs slowed, but she gave Woodchips nosies and lay her head on him.

“Would you find it so wrong if I found you a even more attractive than you normally were this way?” he said lowly, giving her a unsure look.

“Nah, there is like, a weird glow around me or something. Even my voice sounds less... gravilly?” SmoothBlock pointed her hoof in the air, as if trying to test the feel of the word.

Woodchip nodded. “You do have a cute little belly too, now.”

SmoothBlock giggled and blushed “Oh gosh Woody, nopony ever said that to me before.” She hugged WoodChips tight.

Woodchip blushed madly, glad that he got that over so easily. “Oh, most stallions find them attractive, you know. Really, I am surprised you didn’t know, Smoothie. But, really, it’s cute.”

SmoothBlock kissed Woodchips all over his chin, ears, and neck “Thank you~”

Woodchip chuckled at all the affection he was getting from the mare on top of him. “Smoothblock, thank you. Now, I guess you must be sensitive, perhaps...” not bothering to finish his sentence, he takes his chances and nibbles extremely gently on the mare’s exposed upper tummy.

“Eeeeeeemmmm~” SmoothBlock squeeked and then looked shocked that she was even capable of such a noise. “Woody, what are you doing to me?” She nommed on Woodchips ear gently.

Woodchip knew he had discovered a wonderful thing, and continued his belly-attack. “Playing you like a instrument, dear. Do you like it?”

She made another cute squeak and blushed hard “yes, I like it, I like being cute, for once. Instead on just acting ‘cute’.” SmootheBlock petted WoodChips mane.

Woodchip didn’t like the sound of that. “I am talking about the nibbling, dear. You focus on how much ponies think about you rather than how you think of yourself.”

“The nibbling is making me cute.” SmoothBlock kissed Woodchips on the cheek.

Woodchip stopped the nibbling and looked directly into her eyes. “Dear, stop that. You know what I mean.”

“Yes, I like it when you nibble me, and rub my belly, and snuggle me.” SmoothBlock nuzzled cheek to cheek with WoodChips.

“Sweetie, you need to understand, you can’t let other pony’s thought’s tell you who you are.”

“Thank you WoodChips” SmoothBlock sighed softly “I’ll be my own pony, just like I always have. I’m just glad you’re here to do it with me.”

Woodchip cracked a smile. “Yes, I guess I will. Now, I guess your stomach is starting to get sensitive?”

“Just a little” SmoothBlock slid her hoof around her bulk.

Woodchip looked at her, a little concern leaking into his voice. “Are you...perfectly okay with this, Smooth? This...this is a big step. I love you and you love me, there’s proof of that right between us.” he let himself slide a hoof up her midsection all the way to her shoulders,”But if you have any concerns or questions for me, please, tell me now while you are on top of me.”

“I tell you my concerns as they come, and you answered all my questions. I love you WoodChips, we can build a life and a family, together.”  SmoothBlock leaned in and kissed WoodChips on the nose.

Woodchip blinks, but smiles and returns the kiss. “Well, now that we have talked about that,” he said with a big grin on his face, turning to the side slowly and bringing her with him, “should I continue with the compliments or should I just stop?”

“Shower them on me baby” SmoothBlock rubbed Woodchips’s chin.

Smiling, the stallion started to say a very long, very honest list, but thought against it and pulled the little mare in for a full-body snuggling.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 01, 2013, 11:27:58 pm »

and

Woodchip stood on the outskirts of town, a good hour away from his home, and waited. He knew something would come. Eventually, anyway.

“Hello! I am one of those ponies who is surrendering! But I wish to talk!” he say’s halfheartedly into the fog before him.

Some time passes, but soon he sees shadows moving in the clouds.  A mass of ponies of every color and variety slowly emerge, all wearing glares or scowls on their faces.  The front four, three unicorn stallions and a unicorn mare, raise weapons toward him telekinetically, but hold their ground.

The stallion nearly stumbles at the sight of the armed unicorns, but stands firm. “ I bring nothing with me. Please, I have no ill will against any of you.” he said quietly, hoping to not startle the ponies. He didn’t like the looks in there eyes. It reminded him of a few other ponies he once knew.

“Ill will is all your kind know,” a grimy looking earth pony mare says from the rear of the pack before drawing a spear into her mouth.

“That’s enough,” a raspy, yet commanding voice calls from their side.  A completely skeletal earth pony wearing heavy armor emerges from the clouds.  “He wishes to speak, and he will be allowed to.”  The pony looks at him.  “What do you wish to say?”

Woodchip’s mouth begins to quiver slightly, almost as if he was going to begin to cry. “I...I wish to ask if there is a blue mare with light green hair named Sea Breeze in this...gathering here, kind...sir?” he said the last part quietly, unsure how to properly greet the undead pony before him.

It shakes its head.  “There are many among us who match that description, but I do not know any of that name.  Yet there are many I do not know personally.”  It steps toward him, and he can see faint flickering blue flames in its eye sockets.  “Of what significance is she to you?”

Woodchip wasn’t sure if the undead creature acting so civil to him was a true surprise, but he quickly responded just to make sure that he kept on the living ponies good side. “We grew up together, and our village was...visited by a draconequus, and became part of a group like yourself. I fled it, but she was a friend of mine.” He paused, taking a quick look at the gathered ponies near him giving him hard looks. “She used magic to visit me in the past, in my dreams, and wanted me to leave here.”

The skeletal pony stares motionlessly at him.  “What you saw was a warning from mother, which you, like every other pony in this town, did not heed.  The imagery is taken from you.”  Its voice lowers as it says, “Your greatest fears were used against you.”  It turns away.  “Nevertheless, it does not preclude her presence among us.  Stay here.  You will not be harmed.”

Woodchip let out a meek “Thank you” as soon as the undead pony finished.

More time passes, and after several minutes the crisp crackle of something teleporting nearby meets his ears.  As one the discordant ponies look up behind him, then put their weapons away and lower themselves.  “So, you’re the one Serrated Blade said has come looking for somepony?” a distorted female voice asks.

Woodchip was afraid to turn around, but he did so anyway, albet with his eyes half-shut. “Yes, yes I did. I...” for a moment, he felt something foul rise up in his mouth, “are you Entropy, miss?”

She nods.  “Yes.  And you are...”  She squints at him briefly.  “Woodchip, I believe.”

Woodchip eased his eyes open, and he managed to only have to force himself to keep himself from taking deeper breaths. “Yes, you are correct mame. Was it really you who tried to contact me two years ago?”

“In a sense,” she says, grinning and showing her teeth.  “The magic I used was indiscriminate, so you and everypony else in this town were shown many things.  I tried to frighten you all away, but none of you would listen.”  Her grin fades.  “And here you stand before me, as if you have no fear at all.”  She stoops down to look him in the eyes.  “What is it you’re looking for, truly?”

Woodchip had no choice but to look at the horrible gaze of the half-rotted fiend before him, eye’s locked with it’s own, but he still did his best to keep his voice steady. “I am...” he blinked, and when he opened his eyes again he saw what he was really seeing, a entity of pure horror. “I am looking for asylum, like I have done my whole life. The village I was born into became like the living ponies here today, consuming meat other acts after a red cloud passed through it, and I fled it as soon as I could. I went to the closest city I could find, which was far too long of a travel for me, and I had to travel within it to even find a place that my inborn talents could be used. Then I fled  here to leave my dreary life in the city. Now...now I am hear to ask for mercy regarding the mare carrying my child.”

“Asylum?”  Entropy stands tall and studies him briefly.  “Perhaps you are the wisest pony in this town, since you are first to give yourself freely.”  She nods slowly.  “If that is what you truly want, all you have to do is step through,” she says, pointing at the red clouds.  “You will become one of us.  The same offer applies to everypony in Duskfields, including your wife and child.”

Woodchip looked at the cloud with unabashed fear. “Forgive me for possibly seeming hesitant, but I have a few questions to ask, and as it seems that you are some sort of being of cosmic power, I thought it would be wise to make sure that I am clear about what being within this group implies.” he quickly takes a look at the prostraighting ponies nearby.

She chuckles.  “How could I resist such a desire?  What do you want to know?”

Woodchip winces a little at the sound of Entropy’s laugh, and hoped that she didn’t notice it. “Well, it seems that there are no truly young ponies gathered here. Where are the foals raised, and how?”

She cocks an eyebrow.  “Would you bring children to a fight?  They are all safe, far from here and being looked after by their family.”

Woodchip sighed. “That is...a great relief. I suppose there are cities of a sort that you control where occupations of non-marshal sorts have uses? Smoothblock is a miner and is quite stout, and while I have no doubt she can fight I do not personally see swinging pick-axes in her future.” he remembers what he is talking to and backtracks, realizing how dumb he sounds “Unless that is mandatory, of course, then I suppose she will be able to do just fine.”

Entropy lets out another chuckle.  “Cities in a sense, yes.  And I think you’ll find that life isn’t so different.  Everypony is good at different things, and gravitate in that direction in their work.  I only ask those who can and are willing to fight for me.”  She looks back at Duskfields.  “Today marks a change however.  Today we are setting into motion the final battles that will ever be seen.  Once we’re done, nopony, or griffon, or zebra or anything else will ever have to fight again.”  She returns to looking down at Woodchip.  “Do you understand?”

He nods, taking a breath as he did so that he didn’t have to do it while looking at the creature before him. “I do. But there inlays another question.” he takes a moment to look back at the crowd of ponies. “Earlier, I asked if a pony named Sea Breeze was here, as my village was...converted into a group much like yours long ago. I wasn’t sure if you had anything to do with it because I was told, by her, that she served an entity named Carnage. However, a year ago, a pony I once knew named Stoneback arrived in Duskfields in one of the...parties you sent from time to time, and he was killed. He was in the same village that I grew up in, and in fact did not look older than he did when the red cloud came on my village. Perhaps I am missing a key detail about draconequui of sorts?”

Entropy is silent for a moment.  “I don’t know of any draconequuses named Carnage.  I would say it was my brother Mayhem, but he would have just slain them all.”  She takes a deep breath, the first breath Woodchip has seen her take the entire time, and sighs.  “No, that town was taken by my sister Anarchy.  She twisted them like that and left them to suffer until their end.”  She flashes a glower into the distance.  “Fortunately, I found them and helped them.  Your Sea Breeze is among my children.  Would you like to see her?”  Entropy smirks.

Woodchip looks at the towering serpentine near-corpse, and let’s himself shudder. “I have a question to ask regarding her, actually, about the consuming of meat. If what you say is true, than your influence is not to blame, but...” Woodchip lets out a little pointless sigh, “I have several different conflicting images of Sea Breeze. One is a wonderful young mare who I dearly adored. The other one is that exact same mare, but with a piece of my younger sister on a stick. She ate her, you understand. But if she is here, yes, I wish to see her.”

“The damage wrought by my sister was undone,” Entropy says simply.  She steps toward the red cloud and beckons for him to follow her.  “If you wish to see her, then first you must become one of us.”

Woodchip takes in a deep breath. “I have but one final question.” he takes a moment to analyze the many ponies around him, still bowing to Entropy. “I understand that stepping into the cloud will alter me, yes, but will...I suppose I will be bound to you, in a way? I see that many of the ponies here have loyalty to you in a way that I have never seen ponies have before to anything[i/]. Will Smoothblock and I be under a compelled to do as they do? I understand that you expect loyalty, but I must ask if it is a effect of stepping into the cloud and realizing what has happened to you, or if the ponies here are all truly as devout to you as they seem.” he pauses. “I am sorry if I sound rude or distrusting, miss Entropy.”

She stops at the edge of the clouds.  “Don’t think of it as being bound.  I rescued most of these ponies from the deepest moments of blackness and despair.  To them, I am their mother, and to each other they are all siblings.  Together, we are family.  More strongly tied to one another than any natural familial bond.  Once you join us, you will understand.”

Woodchip takes a long look at the gathered ponies, and then finally looks back at Entropy. “I suppose I understand. If I choose to enter into the cloud now, will Smoothblock be able to notice that I have changed if I go back to Duskfield and rouse her up? She is...I want her to be happy, but she might not be able see the reason in joining you within a reasonable timespan. Duskfield is doomed, and we both know this, but...she wished to go and leave to the city her family dwells in, as did I before you arrived. I want to make sure she accepts this route willingly. I don’t wish to scare her.”

“If you join us, you will be changed, and to return to Duskfields would probably mean your death.”  Entropy faces him.  “Your reluctance, as well as hers, is understandable, but you’ve already said it yourself: it’s inevitable that we will take Duskfields.”

Woodchip looks directly at Entropy, as much as he dislikes the general action. “Considering what we have discussed, would you be willing for me to rouse Smoothblock and bring her here? I would think it would work best for the both of us if we walked into the cloud together.”

Entropy nods slowly.  “You are free to go.  Tell whoever is willing to listen what I told you.  I would prefer we could end this without bloodshed.”

Woodchip nods, but his look became a little darker. “I am not a social pony, but from what I know of the ponies of Duskfield, the only one who would truly take my advice was Temperance.” he stopped himself, breathed in deeply, and straightened his spine. “Thank you, miss Entropy. Also, please tell the armored,” he said that word very delicatly, “pony, Serrated Blade I believe you called him, that I appreciate him rearing in the ponies who greeted[i/] me first.”

She nods silently, and disappears into the mist.

Woodchip stares at the mist for a very long time, but slowly, ever so slowly, begins to make his way back to Duskfield, where he knew the second most dreadful conversation he would be having today awaited.

Relus

• Bay Watcher
  • Brake Jammin', CB Talkin', Convoy Rollin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 02, 2013, 01:52:23 am »

Vambrace could hear ominous speaking from his inner voice.
What was up with him now?

“Now, my friends, it’s my turn to reveal my history.”

Vambrace silently listened. This could be helpful information.

“It all started in a small town, nearby some mountains.”
“The town was frequently attacked by crews of ponies who wished to wipe us other ponies out. The reason for this was because we were murderers, who travelled the world to kill targets. But not for others. For ourselves. We killed for the thrill. The thrill of the kill.  Nothing is better than cutting into a target, and watching their life drain from them. It was a lovely sight to some, but others find it disgusting, for whatever reason. Anyway, this town was populated by a clan of murderers I was part of. Only murderers lived here, and to a visitor, we seemed like a loving, nice little town.”
“They would sleep in the Inn, where we would all gather to end his life. All it took was a quick stab to the head, and they would be out. But what fun is that? Torture is fun. We cut off a ponies limbs one day, and fed them to him. Why would we do this? It’s fun. Fun to watch suffering. And he even ate them, and choked…”
“But anyway, back to the point. Eventually we were discovered for what we were. Monsters. They hunted us down to the farthest reaches. I fled to the northern tundras, and made myself a small, icy den through hours of hard work. Few ponies ever knew me, and all of them were found dead, in the cave. All except two.”
“The first was known as Fusillade, a pony who used the crossbow to absolutely outrageous skill. He owned some sort of modified crossbow, made by a mechanic. It could fire multiple bolts at once.”

Vambrace recognized the name ‘Fusillade.’

“He refused to stay in my icy home. I tried to attract him inside, but it never worked. He  got so tired of this, that he shot me in the neck.”
“Think I would have died, huh? I came close, but I was saved by a pony known as Blazing Icon. An orange unicorn. He helped me get back to health, and we both lived in the tundras. We never thought of killing each other.”
“Months later,  we headed to a small mining town. Here, the foals worked for the stallions and mares, digging up  ore.”
“Having foals was mandatory. Every year, you were forced. I still remember two of the foals. One was a unicorn, as white as snow. The other was an earth pony, colored green and yellow.”
“We decided to help out with the mining. I made friends with many of the foals, doing tiring work.”
“But one day, we came across an ancient ruin. There was a book on a pedestal, and we wanted it.”
“I grabbed it, only to burst into flames. I tossed the book aside, and casted some water magic to extinguish myself.”
“What had lit the fire? Blazing Icon.”
“I shot a burst of electricity at him, with extreme power. He screamed, and crumpled into a heap, dead.”
“The foals from earlier rushed into these ruins, and found me, having killed Blazing Icon. But they didn’t know the truth. The traitor. They fled, and told the guards.”
“But while they left, I grabbed that book, and rushed outside, only to be shot in the head by a certain markspony. Fusillade.”
“Somehow, the book absorbed my spirit. The next one to open it would fuse with me, creating two personalities in one. And that’s my story.”

“What?”
“You were listening? I’ll kill you!”
“Who were you even talking to?”
“My friends!”
“You have none.”
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:45:33 pm by Relus »

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 03, 2013, 10:14:15 pm »

Flamberge had heard the yelling from topside, he knew that the time had come. What he had been trying to prepare for for over four years. The army of darkness was to descend on the city of Dusk. He sat, patiently waiting in his cell, waiting for the screaming, and the death, and the battle cries of his foes. They would, surely overwhelm the defences that he knew they had when he was imprisoned, and he doubted Max’s ability to pull them all through. The discordians would win, then they would come to this cell, they would find him stuck in an unfamiliar body. Though what they would do then he could only guess.

Would they take him to Entropy to be converted? Would she recognize him in this shell? Why did he hope she would, but equally fear it, why should he care? Maybe, they’d open the door, and let him fight one last time, but how many could he take down on his own, with this body? A couple? A half a dozen? Certainly not a whole army, this body was stronger, yes, especially since he’d had no ability to do anything but exercise for weeks since being put in here, but his pony mind found adapting to controlling it difficult. He knew he couldn’t fight as well like this.

It didn’t matter though. The most likely scenario he thought was they would use spears to kill him through the bars, or worse yet, leave him to die of dehydration in this pit. A disappointing end, for a disappointing son, said Flam’s father in his mind.

Flamberge suppresses the flash of anger, and holds it, he would need his rage for the coming enemies, for now he needed to rest and wait.

Max walks over to Flamberge’s cell with a deep sigh. As much as it tore him apart, Flamberge was right.

Flamberge’s face reveals only the mildest of surprises. He knew were the roles still reversed, he would have offered the griffon a chance to fight for his freedom today. He knew Duskfields would need every body it could get, if it was to have a chance, but he would never have expected Max to come to him like this, not after stealing away his entire life like he had.

“Hello Max? How are things?” Flamberge asks sarcastically.

“Not bad, not bad . . .” Max says with an equal amount of sarcasm. “Debating whether I can handle this onslaught on my own or not.”

"Admittedly, I haven't seen the enemy host, but from the voices I can hear from above, it sounds like you are quite outmatched. Since you are here now, and not above, I can only assume you believe the same, and also that I can help, so what is it you want from me Max?" Flamberge asks in a bored tone.

“Possibly outmatched. I don’t know that, you certainly don’t. All I want to know is; If I let you free, what would kill me first? You or Entropy.” Max said with a smallest crack of fear breaking his calm facade.

Flamberge begins speaking plainly, devoid of the mock boredom or sarcasm he had been using, "That depends on how you answer this question. When you tricked me into here, you said you had four of those magic stones. The one you used to switch us broke when you worked your spell. Are the other three stones real, and is it within their power to switch us back to our proper bodies?"

“I have two. The other stone, I gave to Redhat to vanguard. So even if you found a way to incapacitate me behind those bars and it all backfired on me; You couldn't find it.”

"Then I shall make an agreement with you. Switch us back, and I swear on my life, that I will not kill you as long as Entropy is a threat to my town, but as long as I am stuck in this body, I will not raise a single talon to help you.” states Flamberge.

“That’s if I even need your help.” He threatened.

"If you didn't need help, you wouldn't come asking for it from the pony, er griffon, with more reason to kill you than any other. You know you need my skills, my expertise, if we are to have the foggiest hope of survival. If you leave me here, you die. If you let me out, I might kill you, but I might not. We may all yet die, anyway, but trusting me is your only hope for survival. Maybe, assuring my death is worth that to you. I can not say, but that is the only deal I will make. I will fight for my life if, and only if, you give it back to me." Flamberge explains.

Max looked away at the ground distantly, for a moment. “Entropy, she played me like the pawn that I am, you know. She gave me a vision, a vision of revenge. And I was such a foal, I wanted to believe it was genuine, I threw my head into the sand at every sign of her. We’re both the fool now, I guess.” He reaches into his satchel for another crystal, the one he had given Redhat months ago.

Flamberge approaches the bars and reaches out his claw, to allow Max to touch the crystal to it, to switch them back, “Let us hurry, time is of the essence.”

Max is about to, then pauses, with a frown. He grabs the dungeon key ring with his mouth, opens the prison door first, and throws the keys in the far corner of the room. “You’re not leaving me in a cell, I have as much a reason fight in this as you do.” He then outstretches the gem and and they are blasted feet apart by a white magic aurora.

Flamberge stands up, and recovers from the disorientation of the switch, he was back in his own body, he stretches, and moves about, feeling free again at last, “Never intended to leave you locked up, Max,” he said, “I need everything that can hold a weapon fighting if we are to see tomorrow. Come on, I have to find Crosshair,” he says, heading out the door without a backwards glance.

After getting back on his fours, Max closes his eyes, sighs with a with deep reservation, swallows his pride, and takes Flamberge’s lead, flying up the steps.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:17:31 pm by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Amorack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 05, 2013, 02:52:58 am »

Convalescence slumped over the desk in her small, square office. The papers and ledgers that had been her constant and unwelcome companions since she became mayor had grown to a veritable mountain, yet now she made no attempt to diminish it. Sitting with her head on the desk, depressed and unmoving, she had given up. Temperance is dead, Max is a murderer, and those just followed years of attacks and living surrounded by dark magic. Paperwork and meetings didn't stop any of that, and I felt like I helped a hell of a lot more as a doctor, not to mention as a soldier. Her preoccupied thoughts were interrupted by the sound of clopping hooves outside, followed by a sharp and hurried knock at her office door. Some new problem, she thought. Slowly pushing herself up from the surface of the desk, she called to the door, "Come in," The door practically burst open as one of the members of the guard rushed into her office and began, "Ma'am, the entire town is surrounded by red clouds!"

"What?!" she exclaimed, caught off guard. "We're under siege by the Discordants," he replied quickly as she rose from her chair. Suddenly, as if in response to his statement, a monstrous voice boomed, "Ponies of Duskfields... you have slain my children and trespassed on our lands for too long.  You have sent for your armies to come and destroy us, but today the world will learn that we will be pushed around no longer. Today marks the beginning of the end.  Cower and despair inside your walls, because they will not save you.  Surrender yourselves to me now, or suffer. Resist... and I will show you why you should fear me..."

So, this is it, she thought, they've finally come to finish us off. The guard tried to keep his composure, but she knew he was terrified, nopony could blame him for that. "You're not going to..." he began uncertainly. The question shook her out of her thoughts, and as he looked to her expectantly she noticed that a frightened crowd had gathered outside. No, I can't do this now, they need me to put on a brave face. This is how I make a difference.

"Surrender? No," the mayor said definitively. "We'd be fools to trust her."
Thanking him for relaying the message, the mare walked out of her office to face the fearful citizens, as the guard galloped off. After clearing her throat and taking a deep breath to steady herself she began to address the crowd. "I'm sure all of you know by now what we're up against. Until now we've fought off occasional raids and small ambushes, but this is something else entirely. I can't tell all of you that this is going to work out fine, or that I know for sure we'll prevail. But that doesn't mean I have no hope for us," she nearly shouted the last part, inwardly trying to convince herself as much as the others. "We aren't going to roll over and hope she's feeling merciful! We're going to fight. Everypony who's willing and able, take your crossbow and report to Crosshair. For rest of you, take shelter in the dining hall, that's where you'll be safest." As she finished there were only a few isolated shouts of approval, the mood was someber and there were no cheers or stomping of hooves in applause.

With the crowd dispersing, whether to fight or to hide, Convalescence was finally free to do what she'd had to restrain herself from doing as soon as she heard Entropy's ultimatum: find her children and husband, and make sure they were safe...or at least as safe as she could make them. It took all the self-control she could muster not to gallop as fast as she could, but seeing their leaders running around in a panic wouldn't help things any. Even so, she set off at a brisk canter towards her home above the hospital.

Opening the door to the small building that had served as both the town's hospital and her home for the last few years, Convalescence slowed down for a minute as memories of her life here drifted into her mind. It felt like another life before her and Patches came here, since then she'd changed careers, made friends like she never had before, and started a family of her own. And now all of that is being threatened. The thought snapped her out of her reverie and she bolted up the stairs and open the door to her home.

"Mom!" was the first thing she heard as she opened the door and was immediately tackled by two small and terrified colts. Across the room Patches jumped up and trotted over to her. "Conny, what's going on out there?" he asked in a shaking voice that told her that he wasn't sure he wanted to know. "Mommy, we heard the scary voice!" her older son, Elixir, said while still clinging to her legs. "I know, sweetie, you don't have to worry about that, we're going to take care of it," she tried to reassure him. Then turning to her husband she said, "Patches, it's the Discordants, there's an army outside town."

"What are we going to do?" he asked. She put a hoof on each of his shoulders and said, "Listen, I need you to take Elixir and Mittens to the dining hall, and keep them safe."

He knew why she wouldn't be going with them, and by this point he knew there was nothing he could do to stop her from leaving. He sighed, "Be safe out there. I love you," he said as she embraced him. "I love you too," was all she could say in return.

Fresh tears welled up in the childrens' eyes when they realized that she wouldn't be coming with them. "No, Mommy, please don't go," Elixir whimpered . She pulled him and his brother into her arms and whispered, "Shh...I have to go, and I need you both to be brave." Pulling them closer she said, "I love you both very much. I'll see you as soon as this is over." It was too much to look them in the eyes when she said it, or they might have only believed it as much as she did. With that she stood and walked back to the door.

Forget combat, surgery, or any of the stresses of being mayor, the simple act of closing the door behind her and leaving the hospital was the hardest thing she had ever had to do. She'd been in this position before, when she went to help confront Carnith, but this time it was different. That was dangerous, but this battle was one she wasn't sure she would survive, despite the bravado she showed for others' sake. Still, we're going to fight to the bitter end. If Entropy wants Duskfields, she can come and try to take it from us.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 07, 2013, 10:14:19 pm »

Things are going to shit. And everypony knows that. With the impending doom just waiting outside their gate, Crosshair deemed that it was the time she break out all the steel bolts and handed them to everypony that had crossbows. Her foals safely tucked away where other civilians and foals are at. She didn’t have much else to worry about. But she was far from ready, everything feels like they’re coming from a distantce for her. It have been so long with stress and she’s just at her breaking point. Her mind nothing but blank. Her body just going on autopilot.

Looking up for a moment, she sees Flamberge heading straight for her, and behind him... Max the griffin. The mare was confused, Why’s the Griffin free? is it still her stallion Flamberge in the bird? or have they switched back already? so many questions..

Flamberge walks right up to Crosshair, and grabs her into a tight hug, dipping her and kissing her mouth, as if he had been away for months.

“I missed you,” he said at last, when he broke the kiss several seconds later. The waiting militia ponies, standing awkwardly and confusedly around, waiting for their bolts as the scene played out before them.

The captain of the Guards was stunned for a brief moment, but when his words registers into her, she kissed him back with force. Holding tightly onto him, holding back her whimpers and tears of how much she missed him so. Already feeling more alive than she ever was even with Death waiting for them at the gate. “I missed you too..”

Max leers at them both in resigned defeat, and  through haste, perhaps through  a mix of guilt, allows the scene to go on while he grabs his gear from Crosshair's pile.

Flamberge allows himself to indulge in her hug and kiss for several moments but then, separates saying, “There will be time for that later, for now we have a draconequus to rekill.”

Crosshair nods in agreement. Letting go of her stallion and giving him space.

“Crosshair, I have a very important task for you in that respect... Quiver! You take over here, I need to borrow the Captain,” Flamberge commands, and the other guard does so, as Flamberge leads Crosshair off to the side.

Flamberge locks eyes with Crosshair, placing his forehooves on her shoulders, and says slowly and deliberately to her, "Crosshair, I must control my anger, or lose my ability to plan. I must direct the fight from here, not charging in the van. I need you by my side. I need you to keep me from throwing away all that that we have sought. Understand?"

Crosshair nodded understandingly. “I Understand.. What are we going to do? There’s so many of them..”

“I don’t know yet,” admits Flamberge, “But we must force them to come to us. Taking the fight to them, just gets us surrounded and slaughtered. No, we need  to make them come to us... Either that or find a way to get at Entropy herself. I’ll think of something, as soon as I know more.”
The small mare gives Flamberge one more hug. Worried about what’s going to happen. “Traps?” She suggested.

“If they give us time to set some, yes, perhaps we should set traps and rally our forces by one of the gates, and then open it. Lure them to committing their forces to that one breach and hitting them with everything we have... But I don’t know, if that doesn’t work, it’s all over, if we hole up and wait, reinforcements might be able to reach us... If they are still sending any,” Flamberge sighs, even Max had decided to trust his judgement on this, but it still seemed a hopeless effort.

Crosshair thinks for a moment. “What about we bottleneck them? Line the gate with traps and Marksponies. They run in, they get shot. Whoever survives gets stabbed. They try to fly in, I’ll shoot them right out of the sky.”

“Mmhmm, just what I was thinking, and I pity the discordian that would try and fly through your line of sight,” he says with a grin, before turning more serious again, “Still, Entropy concerns me, we need a plan to neutralize her... I believe she can be destroyed but engaging her directly will be costly,and with an army behind her...”

Flamberge suddenly has an idea, and he turns to the griffin, “Max, do you have another body swap stone? And do you think it would work on Entropy?”

Max gives him points for cleverness, but shakes his head. "Redhat has exactly one. It would be a one way trip for anypony foolhardy enough to try it."

Flamberge raises an eyebrow, “Well, a one way trip is all we would want. What would be the point in giving Entropy her body back? We trap her in a pony body, then she should be easy to deal with, especially if they aren’t a unicorn... We should ask for volunteers. It’s a suicide mission, even if it works, but if it does, then at least Entropy is no longer a threat.”

“I think I can find a pony with the least to lose that could do this.. Somepony without a family, somepony that’s brave..” Crosshair mused.

“They’d need to be skilled too, in order to touch her with the stone. When I charged her in the forest, I couldn’t even get close... Captain Redhat, he could do it. I hate to admit it, but he’s nearly as skilled as I am, and he’s not married, last I knew he didn’t have a fillyfriend, and he never mentioned any family to me... I doubt he’d leap at the chance for a suicide mission, and I won’t order him to, but if he’s willing to do it...” Flamberge states.

Max shakes his head over and over. “It’s too risky .. too risky ...”

“And he already has the Crystal. I’m sure that, for the sake of everypony, he’ll find the courage to do it.” Crosshair added with a nods.

Flamberge nods slowly, then turns to Max, “If you think there is even a chance the stones will work on her, we should try.”

“If she wants to try I would applaud her. It’s, however, not my decision to make. It’s hers. We are asking her to swap into a decaying Draconequus for possibly a very, very long time. We might not find another stone that can swap a body.She may be in there forever. We just don’t know. Only she can make the decision.”  Max sighed. He just got over almost sending one pony off to his death, he didn’t feel like sending off another on a long shot plan.

“Her? Who are you talking about?” Flamberge asks.

Max quirks a brow. “Oh don’t tell me you didn’t know; Redhat’s red hat changes her gender. She’s in debt, hiding herself from loan sharks. Keep up, Flamberge, I noticed that day one.”

Flamberge looks confused, “Uh... okay, well, that’s irrelevant, if Redhat isn’t willing to do it then... I’ll take the stone, and,” he looks to Crosshair again, “If things look bad, I’ll do it, but only if we need to. We’ll just have to hope swords and spears are effective enough to take her out...”

“So do I.. But, hey. On the bright side, If you had to swap bodies with her, the Discordians will listen to you, right? You can tell them to go away or something.. maybe.. use them even?” Crosshair suggested. “I’m sure there’s more magical crystal somewhere that we can find.. if that ever happens. But here’s hoping it won’t.”

Flamberge smiles and shakes his head negatively, “Maybe, but... we’ll have to wait and see. Come on Crosshair, I need to survey the situation more fully,” Flamberge says, taking off to get a better look.

Crosshair followed, pointing out the various interesting points as they flies “I don’t recommend us being on the air for long, they might try to shoot us down. Although I doubt they would have anypony who’s as much as a good shot as I am.”

Upon reaching a height higher than the walls, giving an unobstructed view, Flamberge looked out at the gathered army. He stops flying, hovering in place, staring at the amassed Discordians, “There... are more than I expected... And she has the area surrounded with the Red Cloud. With that in the way, Crosshair, there will be no help coming. They have no path in, without being turned themselves. We are in this alone.” It made the small mare gulps and frowns. Before chuckling softly. “‘Til death do us part?”

Flamberge looks to her, confused at first, then dawning with understanding, “...Yes, until death. But that won’t be today, not if I have anything to say about it. The enemy are numerous, but we know from experience that they are not skilled, nor well equipped, any one of our soldiers is worth a squad of Discordians, or more, Duskfields won’t fall.”
The captain of the guard looked at him, with a slight hopeful smile. “I hope you’re right..” she said softly.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 11, 2013, 05:09:01 am »

And now, my little ponies, for the Battle of Duskfields...

Time passes for the ponies of Duskfields, and for what feels like an eternity there is no sign of any movement from the red mist that hangs around the town.  The order had long gone out for the civilians to hide in the tavern, which was the most defensible place in the town.  They huddle there, whimpering in fear or comforting one another as much as they can.  The tension grows with each passing moment

Finally, the tension is replaced with renewed fear when movement is spotted to the west.

On the hills, shrouded partially by the dense forest that covers the lands, a giant serpentine figure emerges.  Smaller, pony sized creatures flank her, and a skeletal pony in heavy armor leads.  They pause at the height of the hill to survey the town.

The order to form up goes out, and what soldiers and armed civilians there are mount the walls.  The west is unprotected by fortifications, but driven by desperation and determination the armed ponies gallop to firing positions.  They halt when more attackers are spotted down south.  A massive wave of discordants approaches, and the order to protect the south is sounded.

As the battle begins, Flamgerge and Crosshair stand at the ready, on the top of the dining hall. Crosshair, has her weapon readied, and keeps her tail wrapped lightly on Flamberge’s leg, to keep him relaxed. Flamberge has given his orders, and knew to trust in his captain’s to see that they were carried out.

The attack begins lightly.  A squad of mace armed zebras and ponies charge for the entrance wildly, taking hits from crossbows but not faltering.

The spearponies meet them at the bridge and true combat is joined.  The invading discordants are cut down in seconds, with one being hurled into the moat as the blood drains from his broken body.  Flamberge continues watching, letting his troops deal with this wave on their own, Crosshair providing covering fire from here. When the wave is slain, Flamberge shouts the order, and the defenders back into the entrance again, bracing for the next round of attackers.

Ponies of all colors and types brandishing crude armor and swords gallop for the gate.  “Rejoice in the coming oblivion!” they cry as one, descending on the spearponies amidst another punishing hail of crossbow bolts.

A discordant goes down with a curse, taking a bolt to his foreleg then another to his neck.  His brothers and sisters are undaunted and lock blades with spears.  Once again they are crushed by the skilled defenders, sending two more dying ponies tumbling into the moat.  Yet, for every discordant that is killed, another appears on the hills, galloping and screaming for the end of Duskfields.

Flamberge continues waiting, and watching. He knew the real enemy was Entropy, if they were to have any chance of victory, he needed to be ready for her.

A mass of ponies and a griffon wielding maces surge down the southeastern hills.  Their numbers are almost too great for the combined might of the spearponies and swordsponies, and they fall into a chaotic knot of weapons and warriors at the bridge.

Bolts tear through the air and discordant ponies.  Spears and swords deflect mace strikes.  An attacker screams as his leg is torn away by a sword.  Another drops, coughing blood and gagging as Scimitar draws his blade back from her chest.  Yet another collapses silently as Bascinet’s spear rams through her skull.

The battle begins to turn.

That is, until a black earth pony of staggering proportions and a wicked, mindless sneer on his face catches Redhat from behind.

His mace crashes down on her back, twisting the steel of her peytral and crushing the bones in her spine.  She collapses with a truncated gasp, and watches silently as he readies another swing.  The pony gives pause when his guts are removed by Epaulette’s spear, and he keels over when Pila thrusts hers through his lung.

Redhat lies motionless, aside from the pleading looks from her eyes and feeble, silent motions of her mouth.

“Get him up!” Phalanx shouts, but there is no time.  Without a moment to breathe, they are set upon by more ponies swinging axes.  The able bodied defenders form up and meet the charge admirably.  The discordant charge buckles and falters, and enraged by their loss, the defenders charge and give chase.

Scimitar lashes out with his sword at a fleeing griffon.  His blade easily slides through the thin leather armor on her underside, and she twists and screams in the air.  He sneers and thrusts again, spearing her chest and finally bringing her down.  On top of him.

The attackers began to flee before the ferocity of the defenders’ onslaught, and Gorget just has time to grab the broken soldier when a thunderous crack of something massive teleporting rings out.

In the center of the defending line inside the gate, Entropy appears, wreathed in the afterglow of her teleportation spell and flanked by her personal defenders.  An undead earth pony with heavy blackened armor, a deep gray pegasus stallion in lighter steel, an off white unicorn mare in golden armor, a zebra mare in bronze scale armor and a female griffon in heavy, brightly gleaming steel surround the draconequus, rallying in an instant from the sudden translocation.

The invaders fan out and angle their weapons at the Duskfields soldiers as Entropy raises both hands into the air.  An intense violet glow shrouds her as she shouts, “Hear me, my children and return to the woods!  We will finish this!”  She thrusts a glowing skeletal talon at the startled and confused defenders and shouts, “Cower before my might!”  Her followers charge, choosing targets and lashing out with their weapons.

Flamberge sees Entropy and shouts an order to his soldiers throughout the town, “The Draconiquus is at the gate! Destroy her and this battle will be ours!” He draws his sword and takes flight.

Some of the defenders hear the new orders and turn to face their attackers.  Many gasp or mutter silent prayers instead of attacking immediately, but a few draw aim and fire or charge the monstrosity with their weapons.  Every strike that lands is met with a spray of green magic, and Entropy grins as a bolt explodes into splinters harmlessly in her face.

“Arise, and join me,” she chants, waving her hand across the corpses of the watch dogs killed in the initial attack.  Their bodies moan and shudder before rising again and turning on their previous masters.  She chuckles as the chaos spreads.

As she works, the skeletal pony and unicorn mare crash into the swordspony line.  The sounds of blades clashing together echoes through the town, and neither side seems to be gaining an edge.  Crossbow bolts fly from the trade depot where the pony caravan is still held up, and with a gesture Entropy commands for the zebra mare at her side to charge them.

Flamberge takes a step off the roof of the dining hall, allowing himself to fall to build speed, he spreads his wings pulling up at the last possible instant, the grass being blown aside as he flies. He charges the zebra mare, whom tries to brace to meet the charging pegasus with her sword. At the end of the flying charge Flamberge goes into a roll, flying over her weapon and beheading her with a single swipe as he blows past her.

“Silaha!” a raspy, ethereal voice cries out.

Entropy steps past the stunned undead pony and glares at Flamberge.  “There you are!”  She opens her mouth and thick, sickly green fumes spray forth, engulfing him.

Flamberge is immediately racked with terrible sickening nausea, which causes him to lose his balance and crash into the ground. His armor protecting him from serious injury. He begins to stand and retches, tossing his breakfast upon the blood slicked ground. With his stomach empty, he forces himself to stand, still feeling more sick than he had at any point in his life before this. He takes up his blade once more, and turns to face his foes.

Meanwhile, Crosshair had unload the 14th bolt into the skeletal pony who refuses to go down. The mare finds out that bolts are a lot more effective to things that actually have organs to hurt.  But finally, with the 15th steel bolt of hers, the force snaps the skeletal pony’s head clean off, making the body crashes onto the floor in a heap. The captain of the guards signalled for the Markspony to fire another volley from the fortification at the Eldritch abomination again.

Entropy raises her hand, bathing both of them in a blue haze before another volley of crossbow bolts explode against green flares of her magical shield.  She abandons the spell, snorts at Flamberge and looks at her new attackers.  With a gesture at each, the marksponies cry out, clutching and their heads and slumping to the wooden fortifications.

She grins wickedly and returns her attention to the spear and sword ponies around her.  Blows collide against her magically shielded body on all sides until she sweeps her arms out, blowing her attackers back in a flash of magic.

Epaulette lands in a heap next to Flamberge.  She rises to her hooves with a groan and snatches up her spear just as an off white unicorn mare brandishing a sword wreathed in golden flames charges for them.  “Colonel!” she shouts in warning, bracing herself.

Flamberge looks up at the charging mare with the magic blade, and raises his own to meet hers. She brings her blade down on Flamberge who parries, taking a step backwards, then following with an attack of his own. Unable to get a clean hit, the unicorn mare pushed the sickly colonel back, until, she stopped. Flamberge looked and saw Epaulette’s spear withdrawing from the space between the unicorn mare’s crupper and flanchard, soaked in blood. The discordant mare, stunned by the sudden backstab, finds her neck gashed open by Flamberge’s sword as he takes advantage of her opening. She falls and the two ponies of Dusk leap onto her, to finish her with a strike each to her vital organs, Flamberge punching through her breastplate with his sword and Epaulette going through her eye..

Cleansing Light shudders on the ground for a few moments before the glow of her sword dies out.  At that instant, a twisted and shrill cry booms through Duskfields, heard all the way to the woods.  When Flamberge and Epaulette look up, they see Pila withdrawing her spear from Entropy’s side.  Putrid black fluid oozes from the wound.

With a shout of rage, Entropy again throws the ponies back with a blast of magic.  She raises both hands into the air again and a wave of unsettling magic rolls through the town.  Dead ponies moan and shamble to their hooves, clutching their weapons again and searching for lives to end.

Even the dogs, who were once again laid low, rise again to terrorize the ponies.

Entropy turns away from Flamberge and snatches up three spear ponies in her magic.  They writhe in the air and drop their spears, smearing foul undead blood on the ground.  She growls and clenches her fist, prompting screams from all three.  They begin to ooze blood from their mouths and ears, kicking feebly at the air and whimpering.

Flamberge feels the sword mare under him begin to stir again, he smashes her helmet onto her with another slam of his hoof and bolts up after Entropy. With sliding movements he makes quick work of a few former merchants made undead by her magic, leaving them in several pieces, he then leaps upwards, taking wing and lands on Entropy’s back, he thrusts his sword into her neck with a bloodlust filled battlecry, but the blade only barely penetrates, as the last bit of her protective magic falters under the continuing assault. Entropy’s blood, black and congealed oozes onto the blade from the new wound.

Another unnatural, twisted roar of pain surges past the defenders.  Entropy spins to face Flamberge, and a momentary flash of shock on her face is replaced by rage.  She claws at him, missing the comparatively small pegasus by a league, then takes a step back.  The air shifts strangely around them and with a blinding flash and ear-splitting boom she vanishes for an instant, followed by her reappearing atop the top of the tavern to their side.

Around him, Flamberge can hear the spear ponies moan as they stir and try to right themselves.  Pila and Bascinet cough and wheeze blood while Phalanx vomits an alarming amount of red before slumping to the ground.  From atop the tavern, Entropy sneers at Flamberge and clenches her fist.  “Die, maggot,” she taunts.

Flamberge is racked with even more terrible pain than before, as her magic envelops him. When her spell is complete. Flamberge barely manages to stand, as he coughs up blood onto the ground. Looking up, at her, his left ear bleeding profusely, the scar on his face, a gift from Carnath, long since healed is reopened, as are the other injuries under his armor. Every bruise and cut he’s had since birth seems to reappear at once. As his lifeforce pools to the ground, draining from him, he looks up at Entropy, defiance in his eyes, “I... won’t be beaten by you.”

A shimmer of green flickers across Entropy, and in that instant Flamberge feels her spell on him falter before returning.  “You already are beaten!” she shouts.  She points a skeletal talon at him and sweeps it across the town.  Almost every armed pony, discordant or otherwise, is incapacitated.  Weak cries and whimpers come from every corner of the town, and she takes a step toward him.  “You never stood a chance.”

"No Entropy. You, never stood a chance," Flamberge coughs up a bit more blood, "You think because I'm the strongest here, and that you are stronger than me, that you have nothing to fear. That you can not possibly lose to us. Your magic is powerful Entropy, but we have a magic of our own." As Flamberge speaks, he sees Crosshair and one of his sword ponies, Gorget, approaching Entropy in the air, from behind.

Entropy chuckles.  “And what magic is that?  I’ve seen every spell every pony has ever devised...”

"We ponies have not survived by our strength, or our magic, or our intellect, though we do possess all those things, we survive, against things like you, like the dragons, like every gods damned beast from the pits of hell that this world has to offer, because we work together. Because we care about each other, and will fight for each other. And because of that magic, we never need to fight alone."

With that Entropy feels the stinging pain of Gorget’s immense sword smashing into her tail, and the sting of Crosshair's last bolt in the back of her head. She turns with a roar to face them, with her back turned, Flamberge flies up and lands on her once again, this time atop her head and drives his sword into her eye.

Entropy’s prior screams of pain pale compared to what she unleashes.  Flamberge, Gorget and Crosshair are hurled away yet again as her magic blows past them, but this time Flamberge can feel that it has weakened.  Entropy collapses to her knees, covering her right eye with her hand.  Growls are interspersed with tormented screams as thick, blackened and clotted blood pours between the exposed bones of her hand.

She staggers to her hooves and hisses, “You... have earned... a special personal place Flamberge... I’ll enjoy torturing you...”

A glowing red trail follows her left index finger as she aims at him, and another crackle of green lightning plays across her for an instant.

Flamberge unwilling to be hit with a third curse from the lich today, takes flight, flying evasively he gets into melee range and swings his sword at the bony wrist with all the strength he could still muster.  His blade is met by the same magical force, but this time it crumples easily with a spray of green embers.  The bones crack and shatter as if left to bleach in the sun for decades, sending her severed hand clattering to the roof and ending the spell.

Entropy reels backward with another startled shout.  She covers the stump with her remaining hand, uncovering the destroyed remains of her eye and blood soaked face.  Green magic swirls unevenly around her and crackles against the rooftop.  For an instant, fear shows on her face, but it’s replaced with a hateful scowl moments later.

The ponies around her feel the air shift oddly again, but the teleport never goes off.  A faint pop sounds out and the air gusts past them, but nobody moves.  Entropy looks around, stunned.  She takes a step back, nearly losing her balance and blowing off more wisps of green magic.  “Wh...at?”

Flamberge gives her no time to recover, continuing his assault. He flies up to her face, and turns to buck out her teeth. His hooves meet the weakened force field, which collapses without much fight to let him connect.

Yellowed and rotten teeth spray across the roof to their side, and Entropy is driven back with a truncated yelp.  She uncovers her face and spreads her bony wings, staring daggers at her attackers.  With a mighty flap she lifts unsteadily from the roof and says, “You... think you’ve beaten me?”  She backs over the edge of the roof while airborne and takes a deep breath.

A confused grunt passes her decayed lips as a sword erupts from her chest.  Vile, thick green fumes seep from around the blade and from her mouth and nostrils.  The blade retracts and Gorget rolls out from behind her, flapping his wings and looking for another angle to strike from.  Entropy coughs and stares at the ponies as the green magic bleeding from her begins to splutter and fade.

With Entropy once more distracted, Flamberge flies around behind her. He grapples her neck with his rear legs and takes hold of his curving longsword with both forehooves before driving the blade into the back of her neck, just below her skull, he twists the blade, and cuts from one side to the other, severing her spine.

Even with her neck shattered and broken, she twists in his grasp and tries to dislodge him.  She claws ineffectually at him twice, and when that fails, Flamberge sees a burst of white light and feels his entire body go numb.

The two combatants spiral listlessly to the ground, where Entropy lands with a crash between the buildings.  Somehow, damaged and ruined as her body was, Flamberge sees her force herself upright.  Faint green lightning arcs between her limbs and the structures around her as she stumbles and slumps against a building.  She turns to him, nearly collapsing as she makes the motion and begins, “You...  you...”  She slumps against a building again, and Flamberge feels the magical numbness vanish.

Flamberge somehow finds the strength to stand again. One forehoof gripping his badly bleeding injuries though his armor. He takes up his sword in his mouth again, and forces himself onward, charging at Entropy again, striking at her head with his sword and hooves and everything he can throw at her.

His sword rings against the final resistance her shield can put up, sliding through the energy to nearly remove an ear.  She makes no sound at the injury and weakly tries to back away, but that doesn’t get her out of range.  He strikes out with a hoof and when it connects with her forehead, the world explodes.

Flamberge is tossed back against the side of the tavern amidst an almighty blast of magic.  Swirls, bolts and plumes of purple and green magic surge through the entire town, buffeting him and making all of his senses swim.  His head feels for a moment as if it could explode from an unexplained pressure and he can’t draw breath, but as suddenly as the sensations come on they vanish.

When he opens his eyes to look back where Entropy was standing, for an instant it appears as if she has disappeared.  However, as his blurry vision sharpens again, he sees a much smaller serpentine figure standing where Entropy just was.

It quickly becomes apparent that the new creature was almost identical to Entropy.  All four limbs were skeletal, and one arm was missing a hand.  One eye is destroyed and still running with blood.  A ragged hole in its chest drips with the same undead blood, and all of its scales were pale and blotchy.  The only difference was that this creature was no taller than a pony.

She raises her only remaining hand with slow, jerky motions.  “H-huh?” she squeaks, examining the bony extremity.  She locks eyes with Flamberge for a moment, and mortal dread washes over her expression.  “No...”  Desperately, she tries to take a step, but collapses to her knees.

Flamberge  gets to his hooves again, takes up his sword, and slowly approaches the new smaller creature, “Entropy?” he asks. Of all the things he could have expected, after that explosion, her shrinking was not among them.

The look of terror intensifies and she tries to stand, but merely succeeds in falling backward.  Splayed out on the ground, she feebly raises her remaining hand to shield her face and says, “Fl-flamberge... w-wait...”

Flamberge raises his sword, “No Entropy, it’s over. Rejoice in the coming oblivion.”

And with that he lets the blade fall.  She manages half of a whimper before the strike hits her skull.  The decrepit bones and flesh give no resistance.  Her body twitches and convulses for several seconds before she grows still, and a faint fog of light green and violet magic wisps from her mouth and nostrils.

For the first time since the battle began, all of Duskfields falls into deathly silence.

Yet, in the distance, from all directions, a cry of all consuming despair reaches the town...

The chorus of cries grows stronger with each passing moment, thousands of voices drowning one another out so that nothing but the sounds of ponies, griffons and zebras wailing can be heard.  From the woods they come, charging toward the open gate and ignoring the few remaining bolts flying at them.  Some are cut down by the exhausted defenders, but do not fight back.

In the skies, pegasi and griffons soar toward the town.  As Flamberge stands near Entropy’s body, four sickly colored pegasi crash to the ground.  They spin around frantically in search of something, and when their eyes settle on the draconequus sprawled out on the ground they gasp.  As one they gallop to her side, ignoring Flamberge.

Flamberge confused takes a few steps backwards. His weapon at the ready.

“She... she’s dead...” a stallion utters.

A mare prods her lifeless body with a hoof.  “No... no!”

Another mare crouches next to her and places a hoof on her shoulder.  “Mommy?  N-no... mommy!”

The fourth, a small pegasus barely old enough to be a stallion, turns to look at Flamberge.  Tears stream down his cheeks as he asks, “Y-you killed her?”  He draws a sword, clearly trembling.

Without enough time for Flamberge to reply, a steel bolt tore through the skull of the young trembling stallion right between his eyes, deep enough to have the head sticking out from the other side. Sending the poor thing down to the ground in a heap. The small captain of the guards have already halfway finished reloading her crossbow by the time the body hits the bloody floor. Having scavenged some bolts from the battle earlier.

Flamberge watches the colt drop, and knows that while his ponies may still be willing to fight, they could not take the rest of the army, battered as they are. He forces himself to hover, towering over the discordians, "Yes, I Flamberge! Lord of these lands, slew your mother! Entropy is dead! Flee now, or I shall do the same to you!" It was a bluff if Flamberge had ever used one, barely being able to stand, let alone fight anymore, but he knew it was his best shot.

The three remaining pegasi glance up as their sibling is killed, then turn their gaze to Flamberge.  The stallion looks back down, sniffling and resting a hoof on Entropy’s body.  “Pl-please... wake up....”  Tears begin to form in his eyes now.

One of the mares sits back on her haunches and buries her face in her hooves before weeping openly.  The second mare begins crying too, while drawing a dagger from a sheath on her foreleg.

Flamberge slowly lands, not surprised that his bluff didn’t send them running, but confused as to why they sat there and didn’t kill him.

Crosshair quickly rushes to his side, crossbow aimed and ready to put down the next Discordian mare who just drew a dagger. But what came afterwards shocked her.

The mare places the dagger awkwardly in her trembling hooves..  She looks down at the broken body and mutters, “I-I’ll be with you soon, mom.”  She wipes her nose.  “I still remember that story you told me.  I... I know you said there are no gods and goddesses.”  She wipes her eyes.  “I know you said that this was the only life there was... but I don’t believe that.”  She shakes her head and starts crying softly again.  “I know we’ll be together again.  And then... then you can tell me all of the stories you know...”  She takes the dagger and slices across her neck.  Her eyes go wide and she gags for a second before collapsing atop Entropy’s body.

The remaining two continue to cry bitterly before taking one another in each other’s hooves and hugging tightly.  “She’s dead...” the stallion whimpers.

Flamberge holds onto Crosshair for stabilization. She feels his blood leaking from his chest wounds through his armor onto her fur, “Cross, what...should we do?”

Crosshair blinked for a moment, trying to make out what just happened. In a very bold, very foolish move, she cautiously approaches the weeping discordants and bring them into a hug. Patting their backs. “There... there?”

The two seem to ignore her attempts to console them.  The stallion sniffles and wipes his eyes, then reaches for the dropped dagger. Which Crosshair instinctively kick it away from reach. Unable to make sense of any of this but wouldn’t let them die even though they were fighting earlier. Seeing as how little will they have left to fight, if at all.  “Please... let me be with her...” he pleads, reaching for the dagger again.  “I-I don’t want to be without her!”

Flamberge slinks to the ground, coughing up more blood. Seeing that, Crosshair quickly abandons the two crying discordians, picking up the dagger on her way and get to Flamberge’s side to help him lay on his side on the ground, unstrapping his armor to check on his wounds while trying to remember what firstaid experiences she have. A hoof holding his as she says fractically. “We-we’ve won, Flamberge! It’s over.. please, please be okay. Y-you were going to be a baron! remember? a-and our foals.. They’d be so happy, I’ll be so happy..”

Flamberge take a tight grip on Crosshair's hoof, the sound of thundering stampeding hooves can be heard, Flamberge turns his head and sees soldiers heading this way. A bright dawning sun and a pick emblazoned on their armor. He hears the sound of Crosshair calling for a medic though it sounds far away and muffed, and Flamberge lays his head back upon the hard stone, and drifts to sleep.

Duskfields has ended and peace has been restored...
...but those who raged and quit will never return.

Exhausted, Telgin looks back upon the disaster he helped cause and wonders,
'Why?  Was this doomed from the start?'

Staring at the thread, the answers seem to escape him.
He only knows that Duskfields won't be the last of its kind.

How long will he keep dwelling on it?  How long will his pain last?
Maybe nobody knows.

But... one thing he knows for sure...

...there will be no Dawnpick 3...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 12:10:11 pm by Telgin »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28