Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28

Author Topic: Duskfields (My Little Fortress)  (Read 48538 times)

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
Re: Duskfields (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #255 on: April 17, 2013, 08:45:09 pm »

I claim Shim.

Shim is blue, and a unicorn.  He's a stupid baby.

Diary of Shim, (date illegible).

(All text is illegible.  Particularly coherent crayon squiggle in red may be an effort to record the dragon.  Small blue sawhorse-shaped figure below the red figure may represent a pony, possibly Shim.)

Also, I quit Duskfields.  I'm tired of all the bullshit.

Shim dies from starvation.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 01:16:44 am by Salabasama »
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 18, 2013, 01:23:33 am »

I claim Shim.

(All text is illegible.  Particularly coherent crayon squiggle in red may be an effort to record the dragon.  Small blue sawhorse-shaped figure below the red figure may represent a pony, possibly Shim.)

10/10 would read again...

Seriously though, stuff like this is kind of annoying considering you didn't really contribute at all and pretty much just posted "Hey guys I want in... never mind I'm out!" Now if you really want to become part of Duskfields, ask for a pony on the available pony list and contact Kryptid for an avatar and maybe stop by the IRC and ask around to see if you can participate in a scene so that you can get some experience and just talk with the people of Duskfields

Derp
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 12:37:40 pm by Iceblaster »

Kryptid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 18, 2013, 01:29:20 am »

Relax, Icey.

Salabasama is just a joker.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 18, 2013, 01:29:51 am »

I claim Shim.

Seriously though, stuff like this is kind of annoying considering you didn't really contribute at all and pretty much just posted "Hey guys I want in... never mind I'm out!" Now if you really want to become part of Duskfields, ask for a pony on the available pony list and contact Kryptid for an avatar and maybe stop by the IRC and ask around to see if you can participate in a scene so that you can get some experience and just talk with the people of Duskfields

>implying he's not Kryptid

Did you see his avatar? Totally Kryptid.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 18, 2013, 01:32:46 am »

Relax, Icey.

... I knew that :-[

I claim Shim.

Now that I give it a serious look... 10/10

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 18, 2013, 01:34:15 am »

Relax, Icey.

I claim Shim.

Told you! Kryptid likes joking around.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 18, 2013, 01:39:13 am »

Relax, Icey.

I claim Shim.

I feel stupid for falling for that

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 18, 2013, 02:04:16 am »

Relax, Icey.

I claim Shim.

I feel stupid for falling for that

Well, it's okay. Don't worry.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 18, 2013, 10:57:15 am »

and

Crosshair is usually a happy Mare. And she lives a happy life, with a happy relationship in her happy family and a happy work in a happy fort full with happy ponies all having their happy lives. She’d wake up happily in the morning to happily get to work, training her happy guardsponies with their crossbows and giving happy praises to them whenever they hit a bullseye. Then she’d happily have lunch after some nice happy patrols, happily training the civilian militias some more before happily going to meet her happy friend Creampuff to have a nice happy dinner with her happy stallion before returning to her happy home and her happy foal to sleep happily with her family. Usually.

This is not a usual day. When she woke up this morning, she found a sign in front of her home with a pickaxe pinning it to the post. Then went to see that the skull’s missing, replaced by a bunch of slabs and statues. All of which Flamberge put it to the test against a sledge hammer. The hammer won. And now he went to vent his anger to Temperance and the mayor.

Crosshair is usually a happy mare. Even when she’s pregnant and showing. But today is not a usual day. She might not be feeling the fury that hell hath not when that discordian thief tried to steal her foal away from her, but she’s positively not happy. And she’s got just the pony ask.

Bright and early in the morning, the small pregnant mare waited. It’s hard to remember sometimes that she’s the captain of the guards, being so small compared to other ponies. And it questions her if the guardspony last night have forgotten about it aswell. She waits at the training ground, casually punching wooden bolts after wooden bolts into the target to keep her anger at check else she might do something she’ll regret later. Bolts after bolts punched into previous ones right in the center mass of the target, breaking off the one before it.

Lightning left his bedroom, saying goodbye to Sweet Potato before heading off to another day of training. Yesterdays events still fresh in his mind, he was wary of even making eye contact with anyone other than Wood Chip. He trotted over to where he kept his crossbow and picked it up in his mouth. He reached his target, the one to the far right, and finally noticed Crosshair, standing at his target “Um... Commander... Is there anything you need?” He asks nervously

Crosshair punched another wooden bolt right through the previous one that lodged firmly to the bullseye. Jabbing her weapon into the ground to hold it with a forehoof before quickly pulling the string back with her mouth at where she’s supposed to bite, loading in her next bolt and leveling her weapon once more. “Captain.” She corrected him. “You could’ve kept the crossbow with yourself, you know?” says the less-than-happy mare. And it really shows.

“I apologize. I didn’t think about taking it home as we don’t have much room to spare after preparing our house for the foal that should be coming soon” Lightning says, calmer but still nervous “Is there anything you needed?”

“Yes, actually.” Says the Captain of the guards, sending another bolt punching through the previous one. “I want to know something. Do you still wish to keep your job as a guardspony?”

“Y-yes why?” Lightning asks

Crosshair considered throwing her crossbow to the ground, then decided against it. She tucks it to her side, letting it hang there, secured by a belt before turning to face straight at Lightning Runner, even though she had to look up at him due to size difference, she somehow seems bigger than him. At least that’s probably how Lightning feels. “Then why do I wake up this morning to find my home vandalized, The Dragon skull missing and the gate that, might I remind you, is one of the only things standing inbetween Duskfield and a horde of blood thirsty discordians, All of which happened during your shift and exactly where I told you to guard? You had ONE task, Guardscolt Lightning Runner. ONE. And you managed to Buck it up this bad.”

Lightning took a step back “Um.. Sweet Potato needed some help doing something and... ummm... She needed my help...” Lightning lied, a terrible one, but a lie nonetheless “I’ll clean up the tavern for a week... a month... don’t take my job...”

The little mare’s anger seems to grow even more. “So, you admit to leaving your post during the night, leaving our gate completely unguarded. Where a squad of Discordian can just trot in and start slaughtering our ponies, including your precious Sweet Potato. And not to mention my own foal aswell in our sleep.” Crosshair took a deep breath. “Do enlighten me, what task is worth such a risk that you needed to help Sweet Potato with that you see more important than making sure that everypony’s lives are safe?”

“Umm...” Lightning said “It was... ummm...” He looked around, trying to find some distraction “Hey why don’t I go and get some drinks for us and we can talk this over some nice sandwiches” Lightning said, beginning to towards the tavern, only to be grabbed by the tail by his commanding pony. “No, we’re not.” Said Crosshair. Stopping him before he can escape her “You’re telling me what happened that shift and you’re telling me /now/ unless you want to be in some real /deep/ trouble.”

“F-fine... Me and two other ponies removed that blasphemous display and put the soul of the Dragon to rest, is that okay?” Lightning said, trying to give it as much and as little detail as possible

There was a mix of expression on Crosshair’s face. Before she spoke again, seething with fury and poison. “So you decide that the majority of ponies here simply don’t matter then, is that it? We had a vote, Lightning. You said no, that’s fine. The Majority of ponies said yes and we put the skull up. But then you decide that, because your vote failed you, you’re going to take things to your own hoof, Disregard what other ponies think, Destroy our gate to take the thing down. Instead of just start up a vote to take the skull down and bury it like civilized ponies? Endangering the lives of our ponies needlessly, Disobeying direct order, failed to execute your task as a guardspony all to fulfil your selfish desire? Is that it?”

“The dead are not decorations! What if your husband was displayed as a ‘warning’? Would you want to take his remains down?” Lightning snapped out “We were simply doing the Dragon a favor after Flamberge desecrated its corpse, if you feel it necessary to punish me, fine just leave the other two involved alone” Lightning said, making eye contact “And furthermore, If I didn’t help, I still wouldn’t have told you who the other two are”

Crosshair was not pleased. “Taking the Dragon skull is just vandalism. But breaking down our gate to do that is Reckless endangerment of the entire town! If you wanted the skull down then that’s fine with me, We make a vote, if it pass, we take the skull down and bury it. But taking things into your own hooves? Failure to protect an important public property that’s keeping us safe and disregarding a direct order? Lightning. If we had a Discordian Ambush last night, your precious Sweet potato would’ve been one of the casualties. Did you even think of that?”

Lightning broke eye contact, noticing a few of the other Marksponies giving some strange looks “Look, we weren’t that far from the gate, if anything came last night, I would have noticed” Lightning tried to keep his anger down, and just kept a neutral look on his face “And if something did come, I could have easily flown back and got some ponies of from their naps to fend it off”

“They have wings too, Lightning. By the time you flew to get ponies up, get them readily geared, they’d have had killed their first victim. And you know why? Because the gate can’t be closed thanks to it being broken to take the skull down. That blood would’ve been on your hooves! I want you to look at me, and tell me with a straight face that if you were the captain of the guards, and there’s a guardspony who ignored your order, failed to execute his designated task, Endangered the entire town to satisfy his selfish needs, Including the lives of your friends and foal. Would you still trust him to continue working as a guardspony and that the same won’t happen again?” Crosshair said once more, seething with anger that could light a pony on fire.

Lightning fell silent, he looked to the ground “D-Do whatever you wish... I have failed my duties... Just don’t harm Sweet Potato...” Lightning Runner said in a depressing tone.

Crosshair grabs the pony by the collar and pulls him down face-to-face with her. “No, Sweet Potato have already been harmed enough by you. What I want, is for you to tell me, with a straight face. If you’d still want a pony like that to be working for you in the guards if you were the Captain of the guards and tasked with keeping everypony safe or not.”

“N-no...” Lightning said “Just... send me out, I’ve already harmed enough ponies as it is...” Lightning tried to get out of her grip, but was unable to

Crosshair tighten her grip even more. “You should be court martial’d, Arrested and punished for this.. Lightning Runner, I really shouldn’t let you walk free from this else ponies will start thinking that breaking down the gate is fine. But you’re not the only pony who did this, you’re probably not even the pony who broke the gate down in the first place. So, Tell me now, and you may yet get mercy. Who were the two others?”

Lightning looked Crosshair in the eye “Like I said before... no matter how much you torture me, I will not reveal their names”

“So, not only that you failed to do your duties. You’re also protecting the criminals that endangered the lives of the entire town, ones who could’ve gotten you and your Sweet Potato killed. I’ll understand if you don’t care for the rest of the town, but What I don’t understand is why don’t you care for your mare.” Crosshair remarked distastefully.

Lightning’s anger multiplied after that statement “I don’t care for my mare? I don’t care for my mare!? You understand why I’m a military pony right? Because I do care for my mare! Me and her both hated the decision to put the skull up, sure I bucked up and didn’t think my actions through, but that doesn’t give you the permission to even say those words in the same sentence!”

A few ponies began gathering around the two, watching in either amusement or shock

“There’s a saying. Actions speaks louder than words. You may say that you care for your mare, but letting that one thing that’s keeping her safe to be destroyed? What’s your excuse for that, then? Hmm? If you cared for your mare then why’d you endanger her life? Doesn't she deserve safety from you?” Crosshair continued relentlessly.

“If you weren’t my commanding officer, I’d have hit you by now. And my excuse? Wait, I’m remembering something... Temperence wasn’t being eaten by the ‘big scary Dragon’ they were just sitting around, maybe having a drink or two. If you ponies let Temperence speak before forcing us to fire on it, maybe we could have a dragon in our village and have more protection than a corpse”

“Fuck’s sake, Lightning. This isn’t about the Dragon anymore, It’s about the Gate! And that’s not an excuse for why you let somepony break down our defense and you know that.” Crosshair rubbed her temple with a deep sigh “Also, good to know you’d hit a pregnant mare, real helping with your guarding work there.”

“I apologize for the subject change, and I didn’t mean that I would hit somepony who was pregnant.” Lightning broke from Crosshair’s grip “I am truly sorry that Sm- somepony broke the gate in the process of removing the skull and I am truly sorry that I didn’t arrest them for what they did because I’m sure if you were on duty you would arrest them without questions” Lightning mocked Crosshair, emphasizing it on each ‘truly’

Crosshair sighed as she Lower her hoof again and rub her forehead once more. “Yes, Yes I would arrest the ponies who endanger the town and breaking our gate. But forget that.” Said the mare tiredly. “Just.. I just can’t comprehend why anypony thought breaking down our gate was a good idea.. And why you’d think it’s fine to let them go thinking that breaking down gates are fine. I just.. I don’t even want to talk about this anymore. It hurts trying to think up why anypony would do that..” The small mare sighed again. “Now, if you excuse me. I’ve got a dragon skull to dig up..”

“Fine... Permission to be excused?”

“Granted.. I sure hope you have a good explanation to give to Sweet Potato about this..”
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 12:38:42 pm by Iceblaster »

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 18, 2013, 10:21:45 pm »

SmoothBlock rolled over on her side and hugged the form next to her, mumbling into his ear “We need to get up...” She said with a yawn.

Wood Chip was still pretending to be asleep, but shifted slightly on the bed in response to the new weight on his back.

“We need to fix the gate....” SmoothBlock said with a tired sigh.

Wood Chip, only slightly upset at waking up so early thanks to the pony at his side, straightens his neck out on the pillow and sighs contently. “I know, but it was for a good cause.”

“I was more mad then I needed to be yesterday. I should have left the gate up, got Temperance or Convalescence to have it taken down, buried in the hills or something. I need to fix the gate.” The husky mare sat up and slid out of bed on her hind legs and the put her forehooves on the floor.

Wood Chip shimmies ever so slightly to the right and quickly stands up on his side of the bed. “Actually, we both need too. We did this together, it’s only fair that we solve it together. What was done with the poor dragon’s skull was wrong, and your actions were the right ones.” he said, somewhat tiredly. He was not a talkative pony during the start of the day, and his mind was still sluggish. “But I do not think that either Mayors could do anything. Temperance is officaly the table-keeper for the forts books now and Covalescence is understandably busy with her foal.”

“Don’t blame me for that, I voted for CreamPuff.” SmothBlock said mirthfully , as she trotted over to nuzzle him “Thanks for helping Chips. I’m not a very good carpenter.”

Wood Chip returned the nuzzle. “Even so, you are by far one of the best masons I have ever seen. And if it means anything, I plan on running for mayor next time the opportunity presents itself. I would think that I could win as long as Flamberge keeps behaving the way he is doing for a few more weeks, anyway, if it get’s down to that.” he shrugs.

SmoothBlock perked her ears as she opened the door “I just want to make things right.” She nodded to WoodChips to walk with him.

Wood Chip nods his head in agreement and follows her down the hall. “I want Duskfields to be safe and secure. I would hope we all want that here, but I can’t help but sometimes think that some ponies here want other things out of this little community.” He shakes his head, the weight of sleep still clouding his thoughts. “I have been having bad dreams about this place recently.”

“How bad?” SmothBlock asked while they walked to the sawmill to get what they needed “Like, talking to Serenity bad?”

Wood Chip slows down slightly, and carefully look’s at SmoothBlock’s concerned vistage. Finally, he caves in. While he did not want to worry here too much, he really needed somepony he could trust. “Well, Smoothie, you know how Maize was a little...off?”

“Yes... I heard some things, probably should not have been listening, but I heard them.” She ran a hoof through her mane feeling a little guilty about listening to gossip.

Wood Chip watched as she slowly worked a forehoof through her mane, and simply nodded. In hindsight, he was wondering if she was drunk or not when he told her about his home, if he did so at all.“ Well, I knew other ponies like that, a long time ago. But recently, I have been having bad dreams about...them. And other ponies here as well.”

“They’re just dreams, Chips. The ponies here are good ponies, all ponies are good ponies.” SmoothBlock gave him a reassuring hug.

Wood Chip squeezed her back, but was still quite grim. “ I know, but so was, well, the other ponies I knew. And Maize, on her good days too. It’s not...I think I do need to talk to Serenity, or at least Temperance.”

“Serenity is a good mare, Temperance is busy a lot. Serenity would be better. Maze left Chips.” SmoothBlock sighed.

Wood Chip shares her sigh, and leans ever so slightly near her. “I know, I know, but this has been a issue of mine for a long time, and, well, I think this is the only time I have had the chance to sit down and tell somepony about, well, it.” Stareing at the red pony in his light grip, he suddenly decides to screw beating around the bush.

“Smooth, I have a question. Remember that party I set up a long time ago?”

SmoothBlock nodded “I remember.”

“Remember, oh, this is starting to sound strange, how I talked about Cheerfulgrins?”

“Yes I do, you were really upset about something. You told me once about the discordians. They were there, weren’t they?” SmoothBlock looked a bit on edge.

Wood Chip looked down the hall they were in. Nopony else. He looked behind him. Nopony else either. Catching his breath, he looks at SmoothBlock with the most carefully constructed look he could create. “Smooth, you need...well, you trust me, right? Nothing I will say would make you not...” he stumbles on his words, face flushed and quite emberrassed and, futhermore, scared.

“I trust you, Chips.”

Looking into her eyes, he knew that she was telling the unconditinal truth. He takes in a long, shaky breath, and after a few moments of preperation starts the conversation he knew might distroy there infantile relationship while it was barely formed.

“I lied a little then, SmoothBlock. They never actually...arrived there. You, oh g...”

He takes in a few breaths of air, and tried to recomprise himself in front of her. He failed, mostly, and his legs splayed outwards, causing him to begin trembling slightly.

SmoothBlock hugged WoodChips and held him until he calmed down.

“They...there was never a real...there was no discordian ponies that invaded. They....they...SmoothBlock, Cheerfulgrins is still on maps, but ponies call it Wickedsmiles now. They say it’s filled with evil ponies who kill any outsider that comes near it. It is, but those ponies who are there are the same one’s I grew up with. They...they changed overnight. Maize, for whatever reason, was...I don’t think she was one of...she’s not a discordian, yet anyway. But my village...” he chokes a bit on his words, and resigns himself to watch SmoothBlock reject him.

“Chips, that must have been horrible. How have you been dealing with that all this time?” SmoothBlock hugged him tightly.

He, in his paranoid mind, could have sworn that Smoothblock sounded bored and unemotional, but shakes that feeling off and he all but pulled her in tighter. “I...I haven’t, really. I joined a caravan, lived in a little city for a while, but kept traveling east until I found a order for a wood cutter that was issued by Temperance’s sister. I guess I just tried to find a new life, but it hasn’t worked.” He plants a little kiss on her forehead. “Until now, anyway.”

“We can make a home here.” She smiled as she rubbed his withers “You’ll get past the past and live well in Duskfeilds.” SmoothBlock kissed WoodChip lovingly, gently squeezing him in her forelegs.

He returned the hug, and moved his back to the wall. Standing in the middle of the hallway was a bit odd. Grinning slightly, he decides to dabble in some dark humor while he was in a good mood. “Well, I told you my deepest darkest secret, and now I must simply wonder what my dear Smoothie might want to keep secret from other ponies.” he leans in and kisses her lightly on the neck.

Meanwhile, his heart was prepared to burst from shear panic.

“Well, I umm, ummm, yeesh. I don’t know Chips. I mean, I’ve never really had anything I need to be secretive about.” She ran her hoof through his mane “I’m glad you could tell me this. It’s part of who you are, and a hard thing to remember.”

Backpeddling from his mistaken attempt at humor, Wood Chip attempts to move the conversation to a topic both would enjoy talking about. Thinking about what he knew about the current situation, he leans back over to her neck and start’s kissing it. Again. “WoodBlock, thank you, but I want to know more about you, and more importantly to me, being the selfish stallion that I am,” he raises his mouth off her neck and closer to her ear, “I want to know how to make you happy.”

“Oh, wow, Chips, I, well don’t have much to me, rocks, slabs, mining magics. I get happy when I’m drunk, and when I have work to do, sorry Chips.” SmoothBlock hugged WoodChips tight “I’m just a big mare who cracks wise and digs in the ground for rocks.”

Wood Chip was only slightly disapointed in her response. He really didn’t expect her to have anything he could, well, take advantage of, not that he wouldn’t have been pleased by it, but never less tightly held the shorter pony in his forelimbs. “Well, I am just a big stallion who can’t speak worth anything and cut’s trees down. And I insist, you are not big, simply,” he squeezes her a little for emphasis, “huggable.”

She sighed happily “Thank you, Chips, you flatter me so much.” Smooth smiled wide “And I love you for it.”

Wood Chip chuckles lightly. “But the pleasure is all mine, Smooth. I am quite the selfish stallion, I would think. Thinking about politics, my job,my old life, all before breakfast, and even worse, I am keeping you all for myself.”

“Hugh hugh hugh. Come on Chips, we got to get that gate fixed.” She nodded in the direction of the sawmill.

He follows her, ignoring the little part in his brain that went against anything good that happens to him and attempts to subvert it, his good cheer restored and amplified with his favorite pony in the world walking besides him.

SmoothBlock took WoodChips into the sawmill and gets the materials need to fix the gate. “Come on, Chips, we can make this right.”

Wood Chip smiles, and takes his own load of wood in with his magic. “Lead the way, Smooth.”

SmoothBlock trotted with him to the wreck of the gate, seeing the slightly swollen markspony captain and the smashed slab when they arrived.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 18, 2013, 10:30:16 pm »

and

After most of the ponies had dispersed following the short funeral for Sanctuary, Temperance lingers behind to stare at the two grave sites.  The not so old one for Millstone, and the new one for Sanctuary.  Two of the ponies who deserved this the least.  “I just don’t understand...” he whispers to himself.

Redhat was there as well, wanting to wait for all the ponies to clear out. He honestly didn’t come here to give Sanctuary a goodbye, but instead, he wanted a word with Temp. Now that all of the ceremonies were over, he could finally get some time to talk with management. “I’d say good evening, but that seems hardly appropriate.”

“I guess not,” Temperance replies, still looking down at the gravesite.

“You know, It’s also equally inappropriate to say, ‘I told you so’ but it seems I just did.”

Temperance cuts his eyes to him.  “What’s that supposed to mean, exactly?”

“You give some ponies a weapon, and they act as if they have an army.” He gave him a slight look. “I believe our last conversation covered my concerns.”

“He didn’t even have his weapon out,” Temperance says, glancing back to the grave.  “That’s what Aventail said anyway.  Nopony knows why he was out there.”

“I suppose, some ponies aren’t all too brilliant, and others are just in the wrong place at the wrong time, But regardless, it could have always been worse.”

“That doesn’t lessen the sting,” Temperance says, still avoiding Red’s eyes.  “Look, armed or not, I think this would have happened anyway.  And that is what I don’t understand.”

“If he was huddled in the tavern like a coward would he be safe?” he asked, raising an eyebrow. “I believe that was the old policy.”

“Probably.”  Temperance sighs.  “But as far as we know he didn’t even know we were under attack.  That’s the reason we issued the weapons.  For unexpected things.”  He points at the grave.  “Like this,” he says in a weak voice.

“I’d like to believe this could have been avoided with some form of state regulation, but I understand that your hooves were still tied on the decision to change civilian actions in case of emergency by the... degenerate... That I’m forced to work under, regardless of your personal lack of objection towards the proposal.” he gave Temperance a look, and just waited for a few moments to pass, “but I’d like you to consider if maybe it’s for the best if you draw the line between the topics where flamberge gives orders, and the ones you delegate over.”

He shrugs.  “There’s already a line, and Flamberge sits squarely on the side where it comes to a civilian militia.  I don’t have a say in this.”

“But every civilian is in the militia, and he controls the army as well. Now pardon me, but, is a civilian given the option to opt out of the militia?”

“Normally, but in exceptional circumstances there is the concept of conscription and all.  Being routinely attacked by discordant ponies would fit under most ponies’ concept of exceptional circumstances when there are only a hoof full of soldiers.”

“So, the civilians essentially don’t have that right? And we’re in a constant state of, ‘Exceptional circumstances’ as you put it, he has direct control over the entire population?”

Temperance frowns and looks back at Red.  “Honestly?  You could look at it that way.  We don’t know anything about the discordant ponies who are attacking us, so for now it’s probably the safest thing to do in his eyes.  If things came to it, I could write the king about it, but it’s not like Flamberge is trying to control everything.”

“I suppose, but no letter is going to make this pony walk again.”

“No, I suppose you’re right about that,” Temperance says, punctuating the last word.  “The badger ponies saw to that.”

“They do get rather rowdy this time of year...” He looked down at the grave, “They are a barbaric crown now aren’t they.”

“Rowdy?” Temperance asks.  “I guess you could call it that.  Quite frankly, I wish they’d all just drop dead.”

Red seemed rather displeased by that. “You know, that’s hardly an appropriate way of seeing things.”

“Well, forgive me for not having any more patience for this.  They’ve hurt and killed too many ponies.  Not just here.”  He glowers at the grave.  “I’m sick of it.”

“You do realize we’re right in the middle of their land, and that what territory they still own is being wiped away by your countries incessant expansionism? How many badgers do you think were murdered indiscriminately and being considered sub-equins simply to justify your countries atrocities committed in the search for a handsome supply of steel for the grand army’s next campaign? One would think they’ve earned that exact same attitude you have long before this event.”

Temperance silently stares at the grave.  After a while, he says, “I think the discordant ponies got here first.  Or they picked a bad spot to live.  Just like we did.”  He kicks a pebble.  “Either way, I don’t agree with just taking somepony’s home, but killing an innocent stallion isn’t justified by that.”

“They’re just returning the favor, and it’s not like they stand a realistic chance against you guys anyways. you have steel and iron, they can barely scratch enough together from what they gain in their raid to make a few daggers of copper and silver. Now, I’m not going to say I don’t feel bad for this poor colt, but all they’re trying to do fight back in some way. If an entire of band of them could be wiped out by only one or two of your ponies ponies in full armor, imagine what happens when your country’s forces attack a village.”

“A copper dagger is all it took to kill Sanctuary,” Temperance says in a tense voice.  “As I said, I don’t agree with stealing their territory.  But our country is looking at slow starvation if places like Duskfields don’t grow enough food for them.  Stealing their territory is bad.  I don’t dispute that.  But raiding, attacking and killing small civilian settlements like this just as despicable.”  He takes a deep breath.  “And it’s not like the badger ponies are exactly innocent here.  They’ve attacked and killed us for as long as we’ve known of them.  And steal foals in the night to do what Nirmek knows to them.”

“Can a copper dagger kill a pony in iron armor, or an entire legion of them? Do you even realize  that your own country is killing them off endlessly in the name of putting of the inevitable, and I suspect your country here has destroyed many more civilian settlements than they could ever hope to, and don't you dare tell me that they could destroy any civilian settlement. The could hardly ever hope to take down even a small town with a half decent militia. Furthermore you say “ the badger ponies” as if every single stallion mare and foal are accountable for their ineffective resistance to a foreign invader. I find your willingness to detest a race without taking into full consideration the circumstances they currently face as unsavory and a discredit to yourself.”

Temperance keeps staring into the ground.  “Fine.  I guess it’s not right to hate them all.  But the one who did this?  The one who stabbed my wife in the hoof?  The one who stabbed Prodd in the eye?  The one who stabbed Plastron in the skull, who did have a steel chanfron I might add?  Them?  Yeah, I hate them.  They can hate me too, but I didn’t go out there looking to kill them.  I just want us to be left alone.”

“Do you plan on becoming a noble like your sister?”

That statement cut through Temperance like Flamberge’s sword.  “Why?” he asked, again in a tense voice.

“You know, almost all nobles are evil, pride soaks their souls to the brim, and avarice is the only motive for their continued existence. Very few of them are as pure as they would claim their blood is.” 

Temperance looks distinctly displeased at that.  “Virtue’s not like that.  She would never hurt even a fly.  If most aren’t pure, she is.”

“I never said she wasn’t. Just know that if you aim to be a noble, the amount of sin available to you on a daily basis and the amount of evil you could do without a single soul having any right to object is enough to ruin even the best of us. Be aware of this, and know even if it’s not you who loses himself, your branding your family with that curse and every first born will half to come to terms with it, given you except your title.”

He shrugs again and says, “Yeah, well, I don’t think we’ll have to worry about that.  It’s not my decision, and I’m starting to doubt the king even notices us out here.  Otherwise we’d have more protection than we do.”  He frowns and deflates slightly.  “But I know what you mean.  I detest corruption.”

“I agree... just know though, that if you do aim to become a noble and refuse to turn on your morals, you’ll have to learn to stand up for your self...”

Temperance doesn’t reply.  He just keeps looking into the ground.  He could stand up for himself, but he also knew his place.  For now... he was doing everything he could.

“And please, if you're going to be a noble, don’t judge ponies based off what group they belong to.”

All of this talk about nobility was beginning to wear on Temperance’s nerves, but he keeps it in check.  “Have I ever?” he asks.  “The badger ponies wouldn’t exactly fall under my “judgment.”  And I don’t treat anypony here any differently based on where they come from or who they are.”

“I never said badger. Most nobles make a disconnect between themselves and people they’re supposed to protect as a way to justify their greed.”

Yep, really starting to wear on his nerves.  “Yes, I know.  I’ve given up just about everything to my name to come out here, and even still I work as hard as I can for what often times feels like nothing just to keep this place going and in one piece.”  What was Redhat getting at here?  “I try quite hard to give everypony here the respect they deserve.”

“Why are you sounding offended by this conversation?”

Temperance blows out his breath and tries to relax a bit.  “Sorry... it’s... nothing.  I understand what you’re getting at.”

“What am I implying then?”

“I assume you’re just trying to tell me not to let power go to my head,” Temperance replies.  And he was doubting it would matter, but that didn’t need to come up again.

“It’s not the power that gets you, it’s what’ll come with it.”

“Which I again assume you mean to be the greed and lack of care.  I get it.”

“Could you please not sound so annoyed, I’m simply trying to let you know where your goal leads.”

“Sorry, I’ve been under a lot of stress lately,” he says, tapping a hoof on Sanctuary’s gravestone.  “But I do understand what you’re saying.”

“I understand fully, but I just thought this would be the best time to converse with you over this topic and don't assume I don’t know what i’m talking about, I know more about than you’d expect.”

Temperance gives him a slightly confused look.  Right after the funeral was the best time for this?  Maybe he could kind of see that... but it still felt peculiar to him.  “I don’t know much of anything about anypony here other than what they’ve done here.  I don’t doubt you do know something about it though.  Many ponies have suffered in some fashion or another because of somepony in power over them.”

“Yes, and I’m glad to say I’m not exactly one of them.”

“Me too,” he says.  Well, he certainly didn’t want to be in a position of power and abuse it...

“Well, anyway, I believe I’ve drilled my point in, so I guess this should be good day.”

Temperance nods slowly.  “Right.  See you around.”

“Well, see you later then.”
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 19, 2013, 12:37:51 am »

I guess this happens in parallel with or just before Smoothblock and Wood Chips have their little chat.

and

When Flamberge awakens he finds to his surprise an angry sign posted in the hallway in front of his door. After removing the thing and tossing it in the dump, he goes to check on the skull since it was mentioned on the sign, but is horrified to discover that the gate had been damaged, and the skull removed. Crosshair and him explored the area, and it wasn’t long before they discovered the statue of the dragon and griffin and the slab carved by Smoothblock, though they were, naturally, unable to be sure of the artist.

Realizing that this was no coincidence with the sign, and that clearly somepony, or someponies, in town damaged the gate to get the skull down and vandalize it, just to bury the damn thing, Flamberge in his rage goes off to where the tools in town are kept and acquires a sledgehammer, returning to the sight he smashes the statue and gravestone, before sending Crosshair off to question the guard on duty from last night.

Flamberge tosses the hammer somewhere nearby the tool shed, and goes to Temperance’s office, and bangs on the door, heavily.  Somepony inside sounds as if they were stumbling over themselves to get to the door, which opens few seconds later.  Temperance appears from behind it, initially wearing a worried expression that changes to a very worried one when he sees who it is.  “Uh, commander, come in.  What’s the problem?”

“I hope you know, gods damn well what’s the problem! Have you seen the north gate this morning!?” shouts Flamberge.

Temperance suppresses the urge to cower away from the very angry pegasus.  “The gate?  What... no, what happened to it?”

Flamberge takes hold of the earthpony and drags him down the steps of his office, outside, and until he can see the gate, pointing at it with one hoof, while still holding Temperance with the other he says through clenched teeth, “You mean to tell me you don’t know, anything, about this!”

It takes Temperance a few seconds to rally after he had literally been drug through the middle of Duskfields like an angry mother dragging her foal.  He looks at the gate and his mouth hangs open.  “What?  Were-were we attacked?  Is anypony hurt?”

“You really don’t know?!” Flamberge glares, “Fine, this morning I awoke to find an angry sign outside my home, then I find the gate was smashed down, the dragon skull stolen, and a sickening statue of a griffin and a dragon next to a gravestone outside the town. Somepony on the inside did this! They broke down the gate keeping the Discordians out because they didn’t like the vote Temperance. They put us all at risk for this, and I want names! So, I’ll ask you one more time, what do you know about this!?”

Temperance’s mouth works silently for half a sentence.  “I-I don’t know anything, I swear!  If I knew who damaged the gate I’d have them in Crosshair’s hooves right now.”

Flamberge looks over Temperance’s face as if studying each hair individually, he then releases him, “Fine, I believe you, you may have been on their side with the vote, but you aren’t stupid enough to let them take down the gate. Crosshair is already questioning the on duty guard, I hope he has an adequate explanation for what has happened here.”

Temperance brushes himself off and stands, keeping the anger he felt tempered to a frustrated sigh.  “So do I.”  This was ridiculous.  Temperance wanted just throw in Flamberge’s face that if he hadn’t put the skull up in the first place this wouldn’t have happened, but he’s not stupid enough to do that either.  “I guess I’d best go get Wood Chips and Veneer so they can get started on fixing this.”

Flamberge nods, “Yes, tell them I want the gate fixed today, no excuses.”

Temperance nods.  “Right.”  He wanted the gate fixed as soon as possible too.  The skull could stay wherever it was though.  “I’ll pull all of the carpenters off whatever they’re working on.”

Flamberge continues staring angrily at the broken hole in their defences, “Good, I’m going to go talk with Crosshair and see what all she has turned up, tell the carpenters if they finish early they should start working on a set of stocks for whatever idiots did this.”

Temperance sighs and turns away to go find one of the chief carpenters.  Today was starting out fantastic...  He wasn’t yet sure if he was going to order the construction of any stocks for this, but whoever destroyed the gate deserved something as punishment...

L1wW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 19, 2013, 11:42:24 pm »

and

It was rather early in the morning, and Redhat was out walking his dog. It was quite a nice day. The weather was decent, and wasn’t too hot out, and just the perfect time to go on a leisurely stole, but then he saw something that was rather off. The closer he got the more obvious it became.

The gate seemed to have been vandalized in the night. Whoever had done such an act clearly knew what they were doing, as the gate was both downed, and so was the grizzly monument to brutality and horror. As the pegasus looked upon the scene, the bigger the smile on his face grew, until he finally broke out in laughter.

A groggy one-eyed unicorn woke up from his post on the wall. “Ugh... can you please keep the laughter down? ...I’m... ugh... trying to shake this hangover off...” He groaned as he got up and took a look at the giggling pegasus. “...Redhat... that you?”  He asks softly, slinging his loaded crossbow on his back.

He just kept laughing at the sight, to the point he was starting to tear up a little. “Heh... I bet that bloody psychopathic brute is peeing his big colt pants now!” god bless that the captain wasn’t here right now.

“Ugh...” Prodd groans again. “Please try to stop the laughter... you’d think getting stabbed... ugh... would be worse than a headache...” After whining for a little bit he turns his attention to outside the walls, being on the lookout for any invaders. “...I wonder if we had a catapult...” He mumbles, contemplating the difference any siege equipment could make during an attack.

“Oh lighten up, I’m just enjoying some grade A comedy over here.”

“Whatever... real hilarious when an ambush attacks...” Prodd grumbles. “...I just wanted to stay in bed today... but nooooo we need somepony to watch the gate... let’s use the one eyed markspony, he’s perfect for the job!” He complains some more. He makes sure to scan the area from left to right, leaving little in his blind spot. “...You’d think Lightning would make a better sentry...”

He sighed, why the hell did this pony have to have no sense of humor. Redhat picked up Bonnet and flew onto the wall, before letting the animal down. “Well are you telling me you don’t think the fact that the commander is probably irate as equine-ly right now isn’t worth it?” 

“...Sorry... ugh... I’m more concerned... with the perimeter right now...” He explains. Prodd continually scans the field, trying his hardest to leave very little in his blind spot, he notes that he can focus on singular objects slightly better than before. “...So why is ‘Capt crapping himself?” He asks, searching into the horizon.

“Well, last I checked him placing that skull on the gate was like a foal putting a decently graded paper on the family’s fireplace, and now that it’s gone... I’ll let you put two and two together. Also I saw him drag the management out of his house and parade him around.” 

“...So his pride got shattered.” Prodd says. He doesn’t see much humor in it, but he probably couldn’t care less about the scenario. “...Whatever...” He says, yet again scanning the horizon like a good little soldier.

“Yeah, I enjoy watching undeserved pride shatter and watching him make a fool out of himself by making a huge scene of it”

“Yeah that is so funny...” Prodd sarcastically mutters, he needs to keep his only eye focused on the other side of the wall, he needs to keep watch for trouble. “...So how have you been?” He asks, already losing his focus.

“Well, honestly this is one of my better mornings.”

“...You must have some sad mornings.” Prodd teases. His focus returns to the horizon.

He gave him an annoyed look. “They’re mostly just boring.” he shifted his attention to the dog who was just doing nothing really at this point, and gave Bonnet’s ears a pet.

“...Eh, could be worse...” Prodd says, his eye looks at the wolf. “...How did you meet Bonnet, anyway?”

“Well, I adopted Bonnet about a year before my family migrated here from my original country of residence. She was only a pup back then and she was a stray. One of the worker’s dogs probably had a litter and weren’t wanted. Regardless, when I found the hungry little thing I simply couldn’t just leave it to starve.”

“...Wow... that was surprisingly sweet.” Prodd says, appearing slightly shocked. “Er... anyway... you said you and your family migrated... are they here too?”

“Well, it was more like my father migrated here. I’m an only foal... and my father isn’t among the living nowadays. ”

“...How was your father... when he was alive?” Prodd asks, choosing his words carefully.

Red seemed rather displeased about that “A bona-fide jackass with little to no concern for other’s well being for anyone but himself and me and he also had a debilitating lack common sense.”

“Wow, sounds like a great parent...” Prodd remarks sarcastically, a look of worry flashes across his face. “...He wasn’t in a position of power... right?”

He sighed, “He was a count, and the county he was in control of is named Donskoi...”

“...Is that why you wear a disguise?” Prodd asks.

“No.”

“Then why...? Your father didn’t do such a bad job that rival nobles sent hitmen after your family?” He asks.

“No, they weren’t pissed. He was liked by his peers and followed many the same practices they did. The only problem was he treated his serfs as if they were just farm equipment, and he worked his equipment until it broke. As far as he was concerned he always could buy a replacement.”

“...So you ran away?” Prodd wagered another guess.

“No... I really wasn’t allowed to... not that I would have. As much as he mistreated his serfs, he treated me quite well. I think the only thing he cared about was the family... I think he cried for three days straight when his brother died in the war.”

Prodd remains silent for a moment. “...How old were you at the time?”

“When he died I was just about twenty four...”

“...After you moved?” Prodd asks.

“Well yes.”

“...Okay, so you moved and your father died on this continent... what was life like growing up in Don... Dawnskoo?”

“Donskoi... Anyway, It was above par, being rich and all, and being able to have anything you want was rather enjoyable.”

“...I’ll admit that my own upbringing was more likely than not subpar, but it doesn’t matter...” Prodd states. “...Okay... where did you get your bottomless supply of magical hats...?”

“Before I moved I commissioned the enchantments for my entire hat collection from a high ranking magician in the capital... who might I add had a fine choice in hats himself and shared some of his personal experiences from the frontier...”

“...Okay so a shady magician enchanted your hats...” Prodd says. “So you why did you get them enchanted?”

“Because I can’t just let people know who I am.”

“...What harm could it cause?”

“Well, I currently enjoy living.”

“...What’s gonna kill you?”

“I won’t tell you who...”

“...Could I protect you from them?”

“I’m fine on my own... and no.”

“...I can’t?”

“I’m sorry, but I’d probably just be detained in the night, and then they’d probably do something flashy like give me cement horseshoes, or drop me in a vat of acid, or hang me from a tree right outside of town if I’m especially lucky.”

“...Sorry then. But... I’d still try...”

“Well, thanks...”

“Yeah... sure...” Prodd says. “Why would they be after you... who is after you?”

“I already said I wouldn't inform you, but the reason why is because after my father moved here, we wouldn’t have himself or me live like commoners, but he wasn’t exactly rich after the throne ‘borrowed’ our county... which was and still is on the country’s border. So, once we relocated to this land, he decided to ‘borrow’ money in order to maintain our lavish lifestyle and eventually he borrowed from an unsavory group of ponies and when he failed to keep up the payments, they decided to ‘repossess’ the the only thing he had left to his name. So, basically his debt became mine, like a father’s sin passed down to his child.”

“...How much does he owe?” Prodd asks.

“He doesn’t owe anything now, they bloody killed him, and I don't know how much debt  I owe them, but as far as I’m aware he borrowed a thirty thousands bits from them, with a 25% yearly interest rate. Oh, the best part is, that it’s compound interest...”

“...Um... if I gave you some money, could you pay them off?” Prodd asks, thinking of a non-violent option.

“I’m under the assumption that the amount of money I owe would take you something in the ball park of a decade to earn, given you didn’t spend any of your bits on anything and saved up.”

“...Do we have a decade worth of time?” Prodd asks, really hoping for the non-violent solution to work.

“Probably not.”

“...So you’re just going to hide then?” Prodd asks. He looks back to the horizon, making sure he didn’t miss any thief sneak by.

“Well it does seem like a fine solution given the circumstances.”

“Yeah...” Prodd looks back at the pegasus. “...But for how long?”

“However long it takes.”

“...Until what?” Prodd asks, looking worried.

He just gave Prodd a look.

“No. You are not going to hide until you die!” Prodd exclaims. “How long has it been since they killed your father?”

“seven years, I’m under the assumption they’ve given up. But I know the caravans are associated with the group that want me.”

“...” Prodd can’t think of anything non-violent to fix Redhat’s problems. “So you’re just going to hide? That’s it? Is there anyway we could pay them off?” He knew there wouldn’t be an easy way to pay them off, but there must be something they could do to appease the debt collectors.

“I’m not going to risk it, gambling with my life doesn’t seem like a decent idea.”

“...I take it you’ve put a lot of thought into this...” Prodd says.

“I have.”

“...Redhat... are you scared?” Prodd asks.

“I’ve grown accustomed to it...”

“...Okay.” Prodd says. “I... guess I’ll be here on sentry duty... see you later I guess...”

“Well... I’ll see you around then. Good day.” he picked his dog up and flew back down to the ground.

The pegasus and his dog continued on their walk while the unicorn stood vigilant against any invaders.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 20, 2013, 03:56:15 am »

Three days ago ...

Tulik the badger pony grinned from ear to ear, his face bathing in the dull metallic sheen of gold. He was shuffling as much gold as he could carry into a sack with feverishly quick paw swipes. This was Tuliks eleventh haul up and down the mountain today! He was on the verge of passing out from stealing everything not bolted down in this cave, but it didn't slow him down a second. As far as Tulik was concerned the dog days are over once he's done here. Just one more bag and he'll never have to scrounge again. Just one more. Why were the dog days over for Tulik here? Well, what the badger ponies lacked in intellect they made up in craftiness, you see. The badger ponies had long known about the dragon cave; but none but the absolutely suicidal dared to try such a heist while the dragon was still alive.  In the background, Tulik and his clan waited. Tulik and his clan kept an ear to the ground. Watching like a rabid set of spectators the dramatic theater play that was unfolding in the past months. Tulik and his clan saw the founding of Duskfields, and their hopes soared. Other clans, foolhardy clans, couldn't see the bigger picture like Tulik and his friends, the Diamond Dogs. They tried to steal from the town itself, and paid the price for their impatience. Thulik was a smart one! He listened to Diamond Dogs. They told Thulik ponies and Dragons no mix. They fight. Either cave or town ready for looting after. When the dragon fell out of the sky the band of thieves got the windfall they were praying for. The badger ponies did not waste a second to scramble up the mountain, too greedy to wait even a week of the aftermath.

They knew of the tales. Every badger pony has heard of the fairy tale of dragon hoards. But they had no words in their language for the sheer volume of valuables. They hollered and cheered  and shed tears of joy! The dog days were over.

Looking around he sees the two other badger ponies stealing voraciously as well. There used to be two more. Ardat and Skyx, they tried to get clever, too. They tried to off every badger pony to get larger shares. They fiddles with the trap levers, which were broken. They were getting no shares now, which made Tulik ecstatic. The Badger pony may be a simple creature, but it was not beyond fractions. Bigger top number and smaller bottom number means happier Tulik!

There were two badger ponies chipping off the gold finish off one of the pillars on a makeshift thrown together wood scaffold. There were two badger ponies outside. There was a Diamond Dog pair, arguing as usual. Too much, Tulik thought. Why fight? These are good times! Less talking, more grabbing!

“ ... I’m saying there were two, and we have no idea where the other one is.” the female Diamond Dog stated.

The male Diamond dog balked at her. “Alexei, dear sister, give me a little credit. I’ve done my research here. There aren’t two dragons living here. ”

She shakes her head. “No, Alex, I’m not saying that. I’m talking about the griffon, here.”

Alex crosses his paws and shrugs. “Him? He’s dead. Has to be. He hasn’t come back here in months. The farm town is probably using his bones for bolts right now.”

“And if he does come back? To us ransacking the place?” Alexei said quizzically. “It’s dilutes a simple plan. I don’t like that a bit.” 

“Then we’ll solve the problem like we usually do in these types of conundrums; We’ll stab him until he’s dead.” Alex stated bluntly.

The brown and black furred Badger pony had got his fill of coins,to the point of the bag bursting. He strides up to the Diamond Dogs with a waggly tail. 

“Hey, hey, mister Diamond Dog, I has a’ nother bag of loot!” Tulik said exuberantly.

The two paused the conversation and looked over to the Badger pony, rolling their eyes. Alex bends down to the badger pony’s level. “Very good! Make sure to put it in the wagon like everything else!” He enunciated slowly, clearly patronizing him.

“Yes! Yes! I forget that lot’s of times. I’ll remember this time!” The Diamond Dogs were so smart, Tulik thought as he walked to the mouth of the cave. That’s why Thulik kept them in his master plan! Everything was going so well! And then Thultik be king one day with all this gold! Away from Diamonds dogs! Then the dog days will be over!”

Alexei groans and puts a paw over her face as the badger pony hops away. “When do we off them and take their shares?” She uttered quietly.

‘Soon’ Alex mouthed silently.

Thulik hummed to himself. Nothing could bring him down. He shielded his eyes from the light of the cave entrance, the sudden burst of sunlight catching his eyes with glare. “Dwibble? Sharn? Gold!” He called out to the two guard ponies ecstatically. He took a double take. As his badger pony friends were laying in a pool of crimson.Tulik took a sudden step back, The badger pony's head whipped around fearfully. What happened here? His breath became short, his eyes darting around in every direction. “Badger pony no like bashin’, Badger pony no like bashin’!” The pony felt a tremble in his spine. He runs to Dwibble and shakes him. “Dwibble, get up! Please get up!” Dwibble turns over lifelessly.Three long gouges ran down his throat. “Diamond Dogs! Diamonds dogs have to know about this!” He sputtered.

Tulik ran back into the antechamber to find an apocalypse ensuing back in the cave hall. The Badger ponies on the scaffolding were lining up their crossbows at some intruder! The Diamond Dogs were stabbing at it with their copper short swords. “I told you the Griffon would be a problem!” Alexei shouted. “Duely noted!” Alex shouted back. The two were whirling their lanky gray arms wildly, barely taking aim with their strikes. The griffon evades the blows deftly.  Max glares up to the scaffold,  grabs Alexei by the wrist and twirled her around. The bolts pincushion the Diamond Dog with a crunch. He threw her body at the flimsy structure, sending it crashing down on top of them. One Badger pony was impaled on a upright piece of wood, the other badger pony instantly breaks his legs when he hits the ground. “Alexei! No!” the diamond dog picked up his sister’s sword and went at the Griffon with both at once. Max kicked a silver rapier laying in the dragon hoard up into his hands and parried the blows. The two took a stunted step back from the clash, and circled around each other while they waited for the other to make a move. The dog lost his calm and took a hack. The griffon juked himself to the left, leaving the over extended Diamond Dog open a mile wide.  He took a downward swipe and hacked off his hands. With a shout of pain the dog doubles over into the griffon. Max drops the sword and grabs the dog by the neck with one claw, his waist with the other and with a wing aided jump he breaks the dog’s spine on his knee.  *gak!* the dog sputtered, spitting blood. Max dropped the broken mass of fur to the floor. His blue eyes turned to Tulik, the glare obviously hinting he had nothing but murder on his mind. 

Max strode up to the quivering badger pony and took the bag out of his mouth. “Where did you put the rest of it?” Max asked with a quiet calm that unnerved Tulik more than any shouting ever could. “I - I I can’t remember!?!” Tulik realized in a panic. Where was the wagon? Where was it!?

“That’s a shame.” Max caid in the same ice cold tone. He reached out for a lever in and pulled it. Thulik was skewered apart by ten spears from a spike trap in the ground. “Okay, not everi’thing in this  place is broken.” Max admitted in a bit of dark humor. He closed the circular door the ponies left open and started his investigation.

He took a look at the gold pile. About half of it was gone, stolen either by the ponies from Duskfields or these thieves, probably a combination of both. Max didn’t care a bit about the theft at this point. He was used to this situation sliding into a worse one by now.  He put a claw on the broken pillar. Judging by the pillar, he could get a good guess at where Carn was standing. Using that information as map key of sorts, he started to piece together the battle. The first conclusion he came to was there wasn’t one; There was little to no blood anywhere near the cave. He could tell there was a volley of crossbow bolts fired. He looked up to the ceiling hole, and followed through it. He took a long sweeping glance around the landscape. It seems there is a storm was coming.  He saw a clearing in the forest, A clue leading the way. Max looked away despondently for a moment. That was the path, but did he really want to follow it? What he might find may destroy his view of the ponies irreparably. He may never be able to look at Temperance the same again. His face steeled itself into something resolute. Yes. What was the alternative? He turn away? Lie to himself and let the blissful mercy of his imagination re-write the grim truth? Pretend it’s all fine and normal externally while he dies inside? No. He had to find Carn. As much as it killed him, It’s the least of his responsibility. He ... he had to say a few words.

He swooped down into the forest clearing. He surveyed the place, he found claw marks leading into the untamed woods. Max felt he wasn’t alone. His eyes jutted to their corners as he heard the shuffling of leaves. There’s a crack of thunder and the rain comes. He pensively follows the trail.

Over the pattering of the rain against the leaves around him, Max hears what sounds like a voice.  A very familiar voice.  “I told you so... Max...”

Max closes his eyes solemnly as he followed the trail. “I know you did,” Gods, he could hear his voice even now. “I know. I bucked this up. I bucked this up for us both so hard.” He said quietly, as if talking to someone intimate.

For some time there is only the boom of thunder and continuing rain.  After a weak clap of thunder, a deep voice continues, just audibly, “...you trusted them too much.  But they couldn’t be trusted...”

Max raked a claw through the tangerine feathers on his head. “ ... Temperance, his jackal smile, I thought I knew exactly who those ponies were ... For Laltur’s sake, please believe me ...”

The voice returns immediately this time.  “It’s not your fault, Max... Temperance is a fool who is blind to that which is happening around him.”

Max stops and looks down pensively. “Yeah, yeah that does sound like the case.” He looks back up and forces his shaking legs to keep moving down the foreboding trail. There was blood following along the track marks now. Lots of it. His breath shortened up now. He was getting closer. “Carn? Help me. Please. I need you now more than I ever did before. What should I do?”

“Come... come...” the dragon’s voice intones, sounding as if it was in his ear now.  The darkness of the woods seems to fade away in a faint red glow ahead of him, beckoning him onward.

Max’s solemn eyes widen at the glow. His pace quickens to a dash, feeling a hope. His heart leaps out of his chest as he runs at the chance to escape the consequences of what he has done. Could Carnith still be alive?

“Come... see what they’ve done to me...” the voice says again as Max enters a clearing.  Before him, sits Carn, bathed in a faint red from which there appears no source.  The dragon appears unharmed, and is wearing a completely neutral face.  “Hello, Max.”

The griffon drops to his fours. He gasped in relief. “Carn ... I knew Temperance was a liar. You had gotten away ... I-I knew ... this whole time it wasn’t true.” He looked around. This was the place. This was the spot where they watched the sun set. He knew he would be here. Max flew up and hugged his neck. “We are leaving here right now, you understand? Not going to lose you ever again.” He whispered, a catharsis overtaking him.

Max feels something wet in his claws.  Something red, dripping from the back of Carn’s neck.  “Temperance is a liar.  They’re all liars, Max.”

Max pulls back, horrified. “Wha- What?”

“They used you, Max.”  Carn scowls and flares his wings, revealing the shredded and ruined membranes between the digits.  “Used us...”

“I was trying to build a better life for us!” He cried out, tearing up. “ Tried to cement the foundation for a better home!”

Carn reaches up and coaxes Max away from his neck.  Crossbow bolts were evident jutting from dozens of deep wounds along his arm.  “And now you know the price of trusting the ponies.”

“It was Flamberge! He turned the ponies into something lethal! He frenzied them all I - I didn’t know!” Max floated horizontally backwards on his wings. “Price? What price? You’re alive, Carn!”

Carn lets out a low chuckle.  “Flamberge... he’s the one.”  Max feels something wet drip down on him.  Clear tears drips from one eye, but fresh, bright blood flows from the other.  Carn looks down at Max, revealing the tooth impaled through his eye.  “He’s the one who did this to me, Max...”

Max put his head in his hand, quivering. “No - not again - don’t put me through it all again.”

“He’s the one, Max...” Carn insists, his voice taking on an almost decibel-breaking shrill tone.  “...destroy him, Max. Laltur demands retribution and you must be her sword!  Destroy him for what he’s done to us... him, and that liar Temperance...”

“Carn, what are you saying? We have to be better than him! We have to rise above his level!” He shakes his head. “I do want to kill him. More than anything. It would be easy. So easy.” He gestured to Carn, trying to placate him. “ But If I kill him he truly wins! You taught me that! I know you want justice, but I can’t ... Crosshair ... Crossbow .... It’s not - I can’t -”

“Why show them mercy?”  Blood continues to flow from the wound in Carn’s eye.   As he speaks, the scales on his face begin to flake away in patches.  He bares his teeth.  “They didn’t show me any mercy, Max.”  His teeth were now visible through his cheeks where the flesh stretched thin and tore.  “They didn’t show you any mercy.”

He stretches his arm out to distance himself from the griffon in his claws.  Max can now see that nearly all of the flesh had sloughed off the bones of his forelimbs.  Blood slicked claws held him tightly as Carn added, “When they murdered me, when Temperance told them about us?  None of it mattered, Max.”

The tooth finally falls from his decrepit eye socket, leaking black, clotting blood, and he rears back on his hind legs, which too were now nothing but skeleton.  He takes a deep breath, stretching tattered, taut skin across his partially exposed ribs.  “The ponies did this to us, as if we are just animals.  The months you spent building up their town?  None of it mattered.”

He pulls Max in close to his face.  “It’s time to repay the favor, Max.  Flamberge murdered me, and wants to hang you as an apology.  You nearly lose your life building walls in that little town, and Crosshair stationed guards to keep you in prison.  You fixed Temperance’s office, and he stands idly by while you’re persecuted for what they did to you.”

“...everything in my power...” Temperance’s voice whispers from the woods.

Carn’s voice takes on an otherworldly tone.  “Give them what they deserve, Max...”

"No! Don't do this to me again!” Max cried out, tears steaming down his face.

In an instant, Max finds himself standing in the clearing again.  The red glow is gone, but Carn is still there.  Or, what’s left of him.  The headless corpse lies motionless in an enormous pool of bloody mud.

“...destroy them...” an almost inaudible voice whispers in the wind.

Max scrambled around fearfully as he tried to piece together what was happening. Then he slowly saw the body. Cocked his head to the side pitifully. "No..." He takes a  distrested double take. "No, no!" He falls back to his fours and vomited at the sight. He clasped his shoulders with his claws, a cold sweat overcoming him. He took a wild look at Carns body again. "No!" He gasps. He took a swing at the base of a tree, slamming it over and over again. "Graaagh! No! No, No!" He punched the tree until he dented the heart wood, until his knuckles were raw. He kept at it until he was exhausted. With a long pained breath, he collapsed on his side.With heavy gasps, he looked up to the raining sky, helpless.

Three days later, current day.

Max stumbled into the bar covered head to toe in mud, exhausted, and physically emaciated. He hasn't eaten, or slept, or had a drink of anything in three days. Wouldn't allow it. Not until he finished his job burying Carnith.

"I'm going to need a drink, Pony." He said quietly.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 04:15:25 pm by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 20, 2013, 10:32:18 pm »

and

Having been turned away by the guards at the hospital, Serenity heads for Temperance’s office. She raps gently on the door. “Temperance? Are you in?”

A few seconds pass before a stallion answers, “Coming.”  The door creaks open, revealing a weary looking Temperance.  “Hey, Serenity.  Come in.”

Serenity frowns, but does as she is told. “You look terrible, Temperance. Have you been getting much sleep?”

“Trying to,” he answers honestly before sitting heavily in his chair.  “It’s been a long few days.  But... don’t worry about that.  What’s on your mind?”

“Well,” She begins, taking a seat across from him, “I had hoped to speak with the griffon Max, but I was turned away by the guards at the door. I was hoping I could get your permission to enter.”

“I see.  Uh, well... I can get you in to see him, yeah.  What did you want to talk to him about?  He’s under a lot of stress... I was hoping to keep that to a minimum.”  He frowns.  “Not... that I think you’d be trying to cause trouble...”

Serenity nods. “Well, I was actually hoping to help relieve some of that stress. I’ve heard some rumors around town. There are quite a few different stories, but the consensus seems to be that his wife was slain by the dragon. Do you know anything about that?”

Temperance takes a deep breath.  “That’s not quite it, but not that far from the truth.  I’m not sure how much Max wants to be known about it, so... can you just keep this between us and him?”

“Of course. I’m no stranger to confidentiality.”

He makes a weak smile.  “Right.”  His smile fades.  “Anyway... Max didn’t have a wife.  I’m not entirely sure I was understanding the situation all that well, but the dragon, Carnith, was actually Max’s best and probably only friend.”

“Oh...” Serenity replies flatly, before grasping the full meaning of his words. She gasps, clapping her hooves over her mouth. “...Oh! Ohmygoodness, that’s... then, the skull... does he know?”

Temperance sighs.  “I don’t know.  I haven’t told him.  I didn’t have the heart to be the one to break it to him.  Not after I had to tell him what happened to Carnith.”  He shakes his head slowly.  “Flamberge just didn’t care...”

Serenity’s face darkens. “He rarely does.” She sighs heavily. “In light of all this, it might be better if we let Max be. I’d likely only make things worse.”

“I just don’t know what to do.  I feel terrible for Max, but I also feel absolutely helpless.  If you think you can help him in any way, I’d encourage you to talk to him, but if you don’t think it’s a good idea then I trust what you say.”

“There’s only one thing I can think of that might help him right now... and Flamberge seems intent on making sure it doesn’t happen.”

He nods and stares through the wall in the direction of the gate.  “I know.  I can’t believe he’s that insensitive about it.  Part of me wants to just got take the blasted thing down and do what’s right, regardless of what he thinks.”  He makes an exasperated shrug.  “But I know better.”

“Temperance... you are the penultimate authority in Duskfields. By law, he has to obey your command.”

Temperance continues to stare through the wall.  “I wish that was true,” he finally says.  “At this point, I’m mostly just an accountant and the guy who decides what gets made when.  After Convalescence took over mayoral duties, I don’t have any political say anymore, really.”  He blinks heavily.  “And as the military commander here, Flamberge can get around both of us if he can justify it as being a matter of public safety.  Not that I consider putting Carnith’s head on the gatehouse a matter of public safety.”

Serenity sighs. “Well... have you written your superiors in Coupledye about his behavior? They may be inclined to do something about it.”

“Not yet.  But I think that’s actually my next order of business.  I could tolerate him being a bit pushy, since he is a good soldier and does a good job protecting us.  But now, I’m starting to doubt it’s worth it.”  He looks back over to her.  “I could probably get a few testimonies and signatures.  Would... you be willing to help out with that?”

“Of course.” She allows herself a small smirk. “I’m sure I could think of a few things to say. Who else did you have in mind?”

“Myself, of course.  Other than that, I’d think Cream Puff might have something to say, don’t you think?”  He looks a bit more serious.  “I don’t want to ask you to tell me anything too private, but has anypony else come to you about Flamberge?”

“Nopony else has come to me directly, but...” Serenity sighs heavily. “...a while ago, Crosshair happened to come into my office with Cream puff. She never mentioned anything about him, but... I noticed...”

“Noticed... what?”

“...She was covered all over with bruises and... bite marks. Particularly on her neck. She insisted they were from training, but...” she looks up, into Temperance’s eyes. “Temperance, I know when somepony is hiding something from me. And unfortunately, I know all too well the signs of a mare who has been... harmed.

Temperance glowers.  “I see.  Everything I learn about Flamberge makes me like him less and less.”  He blows out his breath.  “I’m doubtful Crosshair would testify against him though, but it’s something to mention at least.”

Serenity lowers her head. “I should’ve brought this to you straight away. I’m sorry...”

“It’s alright,” he replies.  It technically was none of his business anyway.  “There wasn’t and isn’t really anything I could or can do.  Other than complain to the king, I guess.  Which we can still do.”

“...Okay. I know the next caravan is still some months away, but should we go find Cream Puff and get this over with?”

He chews over the thought briefly.  “Yeah.  Yeah, I think we should.  The sooner we get  something together, the better I’ll feel.  I’d like to have some time to refine it before sending it off anyway.”

“Alright. And while we’re at it... I think I will go have a talk with Max. At least to get a feel for how he’s doing.”

Temperance allows a tiny smile.  “Alright, I think maybe he’d feel a bit better after speaking with you.  I’ll walk you,” he says, standing.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28