Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Whimcrafted succession game  (Read 7192 times)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whimcrafted succession game
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2013, 06:17:58 pm »

Just tried it. It works.
The dining hall of Upper Whimcrafted has a room branching to the south with two levers in it. Pulling the left one activates the floodgate.

The floodgate is positioned right next to the brook, rather than the reservoir, so it will take a bit for the channel to drain, but it works.

I will try it tonight.  I think the one labeled "reservoir" is the one on the right...

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2013, 06:27:12 pm »

Just tried it. It works.
The dining hall of Upper Whimcrafted has a room branching to the south with two levers in it. Pulling the left one activates the floodgate.

The floodgate is positioned right next to the brook, rather than the reservoir, so it will take a bit for the channel to drain, but it works.

I will try it tonight.  I think the one labeled "reservoir" is the one on the right...
It's right. My bad.

For the heck of it, photographic evidence of the elusive floodgate:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2013, 07:27:35 pm »

Heh- both of the previous overseers built ways to get water into the fortress in a controlled manner.  Aaaand, we still flooded the place.  :P

One point in favor of the big road:  if that water were flowing into a central staircase, the lower parts of the fort would be flooded right now.  My lovely road spared us!  :) 

Also, it wasn't meant for routine use:  it was meant to be used by caravans after we relocated downward, while being long and trappable to make invaders work to get to our civilian areas.

That FB is going to be !!FUN!!

Are the necromancers still hanging around outside?

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2013, 08:39:16 pm »

Webbed FBs are a pain, melee dwarves are practically useless.  Can bolts pierce the diamond?  A shortage on men  ;D!  But thanks for posting my character bio.   

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2013, 09:39:58 pm »

I forgot to mention we have hardly any bolts.  And no metal at all except zinc (which I caught a dwarf spending our precious, limited charcoal to smelt!)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:40:28 am by joeclark77 »

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2013, 10:19:21 pm »

I have maligned you, sir. The lever did work as intended, I only missed it because I was looking for those drawbridges to open and didn't percieve the floodgate which was a few z-levels above.

More from the journals of Joe Gebarthikut, MD:

13 felsite: A kobold ambush... this should be interesting, but probably won't take long...

16 felsite: To my surprise,the kobolds (a small group of bowmen and one of spearmen) made short work of the zombies and broke the siege. The necromancers were not among the dead/missing, so I assume they fled.  Now a group of elf merchants is outside, let's see if the kobolds won't solve that problem as well!  (We really need the cloth!)

Now the kobolds are either gone or hiding.  One elf died, fortunately, dropping many many bins of precious cloth.  I'm going to wait a while before venturing on to the surface, though.  We don't have the armor we'd need to deal with a squad of kobold archers.  I guess an arrow puts a hole in you no matter how big the guy who fires it.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2013, 10:25:04 pm »

Hopefully the elves have some livestock you can use for bones.  If you're VERY desperate just hijack the caravan, and beat the  hippies merchants
senseless for that years supply of prickle berry.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2013, 10:29:26 pm »

By the way, I figured out that chaosgear's drawbridge traps open to the side, therefore, they do not block the pathing of enemies and will work fine as atom-smashers... but of course they won't do anything to physically stop entry if not pulled.  (Unless one or more is a conventional style gate.)  Brilliant!  Now... can you atom-smash a FB made of diamond?

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2013, 10:32:33 pm »

I've never had to deal with Kobold sieges, as they have to go through my high traffic hallway, guard dogs and barracks to get to my stock!  I would assume they are like goblin crossbowmen, but with less armor.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2013, 10:33:15 pm »

I vaguely remember someone saying you can't atom-smash large beings with a bridge or the bridge breaks.  Need confirmation on this.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 10:41:35 pm »

I have maligned you, sir. The lever did work as intended, I only missed it because I was looking for those drawbridges to open and didn't percieve the floodgate which was a few z-levels above.

16 felsite: To my surprise,the kobolds (a small group of bowmen and one of spearmen) made short work of the zombies and broke the siege. The necromancers were not among the dead/missing, so I assume they fled.  Now a group of elf merchants is outside, let's see if the kobolds won't solve that problem as well!  (We really need the cloth!)
Eeyup. See? I know what I'm doing!

The siege is broken by kobolds? I'm kinda disappointed. I was hoping my atom smashing hall would get a time to shine, along with Lower Whimcrafted. Darn, my entire year was spent preparing to take on the zombie horde and a kobold squad took them out!

By the way, I figured out that chaosgear's drawbridge traps open to the side, therefore, they do not block the pathing of enemies and will work fine as atom-smashers... but of course they won't do anything to physically stop entry if not pulled.  (Unless one or more is a conventional style gate.)  Brilliant!  Now... can you atom-smash a FB made of diamond?
*rolls eyes* Yes, I do, in fact, have a brain.
Sorry, but I can't help but feel insulted. :P
Actually, I'm pretty sure the last drawbridge, the lowest one at the entrance to the cave, is a conventional gate. The lever opposite the reservoir lever controls that one.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2013, 10:48:06 pm »

I hope UristTheGrey knows it's almost his turn...

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2013, 10:58:19 pm »

20 hematite:  Mooglit, and Rocknlol, two of our three miners, have been reported missing (under water, with 2 of our 3 picks).  Migrants have just arrived.  I've unforbidden the z-1 door and will see if they path through the labyrinth into the fort.

27 hematite:  The labyrinth doesn't work because it has trees growing in it.  I've opened the main gate and the new migrants have entered unmolested.  There are 11 adults.  Still no visit from our FB friend.  Apparently he doesn't fly, and isn't eager to enter the fortress.  If I've sealed the lower fort as I think I have, he would have to path on to the rampway and into the upper fort, which is a long hike.  He's content to meander around the bottom of the cavern-lake.  Now that I'm down to one pick and one miner, I've determined that getting to metal ore is priority #1.  We'll have to use precious charcoal to make a few picks, then dig to magma.  I spotted some malachite stalactites on level 121, so our miner will do exploratory digging there.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2013, 11:33:05 pm »

Pull the lever! Seal him in the cave! Maybe it'll leave.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2013, 12:34:04 am »

13th galena:  A human caravan has arrived.  i hope they have anvils, we'll need them for what I have planned.  Malachite has been found, picks forged, and miners equipped.  I've ordered togas, trousers, and socks to be made from the elf-goods.  still woefully ill-equipped for battle with that FB if he ever decides to come play.  Mooglit's ghost has risen, but is only haunting the underwater spot where he died, so that's okay.

21 galena:  The humans were ambushed first by a small group of goblins, which they could handle.  Inexplicably, however, the dead began to rise during the beginning of the fight.  We had an outdoor refuse pile (the indoor one was full) and now there are animated hairs and heads and things battling human and goblin alike.  I assume a hidden necromancer is out there.  (Or are we in an evil biome?)  I've decided to leave the main gate open and try my predecessor's idea with the atom-smashers.

2nd limestone:  Chaosgear was killed by a human right arm scratching him in the head.  UristTheGrey appears to have died as an unfortunate side-effect of Chaosgear's atom-smasher strategy. Our clothier has created Ethesdodod, a rope reed fiber mask.

4th limestone:  I was able to atom-smash several undead as they pathed after the fleeing human merchants (and UristTheGrey, apparently) down the rampway.  NOw that the last human is dead (actually one made it to safety) they have no reason to path down that way (since I walled off lower whimcrafted).  I'm not going to cut a doorway lest the FB enter through it.  So the zombies are milling around the trade depot instead of moving into the rampway.  And we're waiting them out, again.  They have killed all of the goblins and the human warriors.  On the upside, if I wait them out, I should now have a decent supply of useful (or meltable) weapons and armor from the deceased warriors.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:16:39 am by joeclark77 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9