Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Whimcrafted succession game  (Read 7180 times)

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
Re: Whimcrafted succession game
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 04:50:28 pm »

I seem to be having some difficult getting the save to work. Am I screwing something up? Anyone else not getting it to work? I've never actually done a succession fort before  :-[

I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 05:28:58 pm »

I seem to be having some difficult getting the save to work. Am I screwing something up? Anyone else not getting it to work? I've never actually done a succession fort before  :-[

Download the save.  It should have a region folder in it.  name it regionfnord or whatever -- anything that's not regionX where X is a world you already have.  Cut/paste this folder into your Dwarf Fortress > Data > Save folder.  Open DF, and "Continue playing" selecting the fort name and folder that is correct.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 05:47:39 pm »

Download the save.  It should have a region folder in it.  name it regionfnord or whatever -- anything that's not regionX where X is a world you already have.  Cut/paste this folder into your Dwarf Fortress > Data > Save folder.  Open DF, and "Continue playing" selecting the fort name and folder that is correct.
Did that. Won't work.

Got it to work. Had to reinstall for some reason... Maybe my vanilla DF was obsolete? Expect an update soon.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 06:54:18 pm »

Alrighty, I claimed the hunter and dubbed him "head hunter" and renamed the Big Cheese as the "Old Cheese" and then I spent a good hour trying to figure out this fortress layout. It's...new to me. But enough about that. Let's get to work.

1st of Granite, 252
Taken from the journal of "Chaosgear" Tathtatkol, hunter
So it's finally time to hire a new leader, eh? Great! The last guy did an okay job, and we have a fantastic dining hall to show for it, but he put waaaay to much emphasis on making the Whimcrafted look pretty instead of functionality of defense. What we need is someone who puts more emphasis on the future! I mean, ol' Cheesy is having the tunnel to the caves smoothed. Why not engrave the fort proper, or place traps? We need someone who can prioritize our safety over...why is everyone looking at me?

Armok's blood, I got elected overseer!? I'm not one for leading. But as long as I'm in charge, I'm gonna do this right. First things first, stop smoothing the passage down to the caves, it's unnecessary! The old overseer did one thing right; he made the way down to the caves a long, winding passage. He also dug a labyrinth to get inside the fort from the surface. It'll be really easy to trap either one. I'm having a bridge built at the end of the cave tunnel to serve as a door.
Well, the brook freezes in winter, and the cave is a dangerous source of water, so I'm having a reservoir dug. I doubt I'll be able to dig it before the brook thaws, though, so it will be a long while until it finishes.
Our main gate is controlled by a (unlabled) lever in the overseer's office? That's impractical. And where am I supposed to build more levers? I'm having a lever room dug out right next to the dining hall. And I'm labeling every lever I build.
The last thing I'm ordering is a bunch of mechanisms for traps. Here's hoping hundreds of rockfall traps can hold any invaders back.

24th of Granite, 252
Congratulations! Cheedows just gave birth to a baby girl!
I killed an eagle yesterday. Nobody seemed impressed.
As for the progress of the fort, everything is going according to plan, just slower than hoped. We simply have more jobs than we do dwarves. Hopefully more migrants arrive soon.
The engraving of the dining hall is going well, but...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I preferred it when it was smooth...

Immediately after I finished writing, Kadol Edtulvutok gave birth to a girl as well. Congratulations!

6th of Slate, 252
Good news bad news time.
The good news? Migrants!
The bad news? Migrants. Twenty-seven of them. In one day, our population doubled. We can't support forty-six dwarves right now. We need more beds, food, booze, tables, and chairs. We also got six more hunters! Juggling my duties as overseer and getting to hunt in my free time was hard enough, but now nine other hunters are gonna clear out all the wildlife before I can even pick up my crossbow.

6th of Slate, 252
Busy busy busy! Everybody is working, struggling to expand. We haven't even begun working on defenses or the reservoir.

What the heck? One of the migrants, a Ranger named Melbil, just kicked someone out of the craftsdwarf's workshop and started grabbing stuff. She won't say why, she's being really secretive.

18th of Slate, 252
Worth 28,800 dwarf bucks. This puzzlebox alone is making up a fourth of our fortress' total wealth. I can practically hear the goblins lining up at our gate.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 08:08:03 pm by chaosgear »

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 08:38:45 pm »

17th of Felsite, 252
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU---

---UUUUUUUUUUUUDRUCKERS!!!
What do I do!? I've never dealt with undead before!
We're totally unprepared for this! We don't have a single trap! And he's got twenty seven undead!
Everybody is sent inside and the doors are locked. Now I just need a plan...

OOC: If any of you all have a suggestion, don't be shy. I have no clue what I'm doing.

Alright, I have a plan, but some may consider using dwarven physics cheating, so I'm making a backup. If anyone thinks this shouldn't be allowed, I can just start over from the start of the siege.

24th of Hematite, 252
It's early summer now, right? The undead still roam out there. Lead by two necromancers. We've ran out of most of our seeds and fresh food. We've got a hundred prepared meals and 130 drinks, but our cooks and brewers have nothing to do. The caves are all fished out, so the fisherdwarves are bored, too. If only we finished that reservior. The miners and stoneworkers are burning the midnight oil working toward what I have planned.

Basically, I'm building a second fortress in the caves. A "Lower Whimcrafted", if you will. Supplies and furniture will be moved down below, along with the animals. The passage between Upper Whimcrafted and Lower Whimcrafted will then be lined with Atom Smashers, and once it's full of zombies, we'll pull one lever connected to every DAS in the passage. Hopefully it'll hit every one, and catch the necromancers as well. This may take my whole year as overseer. Hope it works.

16th of Malachite, 252
Well guys, it's been fun, but...

It's over. There's no way this will end with Whimcrafted surviving.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 10:23:00 pm by chaosgear »

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 11:07:45 pm »

That's not a hard-material FB, it's flesh and bone... well, flesh and chitin.  It's not a deadly duster or a flyer either.  It can be killed.

As far as dealing with an undead siege?  No idea, never personally faced one.  In that situation I'd probably turtle, locking off the surface and happily farming plump helmets beneath the feet of the shambling dead until such a time as they went away.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 11:31:19 am »

I've never dealt with the undead before, but apparently until the necromancers are killed, any severed body part re animates.  So your traps would be almost useless...Such as what Tevish said, plump helmets are the greatest survival food, as they can be eaten raw, cooked, and brewed.  If possible, tunnel to magma and start some magma furnaces.  Then make assorted weapons and armor, but I still don't recommend going head-on.

PS. I gave birth to a girl?  That's odd since I'm a guy...       

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 05:31:38 pm »

1st of Galena, 252
Well it took the better part of a month, but Liyetha is dead. I threw together a squad of rangers that filled her full of bolts until they ran out, then beat her into a bloody pulp over the course if a week. The battle report is 50 pages long of marksdwarves punching her in various limbs.
The only death was a cat, but some of the men have broken bones. This could've gone much, much worse.
A craftsdwarf was just taken by a fey mood. He claimed the Lower Whimcrafted craftsdwarfs workshop. All the stockpiles are in Upper Whimcrafted. This may take a while.
The necromancers haven't budged. The cheeky pricks have their campfires set up and everything. My main concern right now is that migrants may show up...

Sandstone, 252
Not sure what day it is, I just know it's mid autumn. Crap, I'm running out of time.
The giant bug gave us five hundred meals worth of meat. We can put all plants we harvest from the cave towards booze, so I think we're set. That beastie was a blessing in disguise.
Oh, that craftsdwarf finished his creation.
"Vathemgulnas, "The Saturnine Island", a schist bracelet. All craftsdwarf high quality etc. It is decorated with fungiwood and encircled with bands of round schist cabochons. On it is the image of Lorbam Tongsparks the dwarf in prase opal." Worth 15600*. I can hear the necromancers lining up at out gates.
No, really. I can.
Lets see, what else...oh, yeah a craftsdwarf gave birth to a girl.
We have a few bridges left to build before I'm willing to put this plan into motion...

WINTER IS UPON YOU
Fudruckers! I'm running out of time!
Lets see, what's happened since I last wrote...
The reservoir is officially complete. All we have to do is wait for the brook to thaw, and it will begin to fill. Hopefully the next overseer will have the good sense to keep tabs on it before it gets too full. The only thing it will flood is the caverns, but still.
Two more births. Our population is on the rise.
One of the rangers died from his wounds given to him by the forgotten beast. Looks like we need to start making a tomb.
Speaking of which, I'm having my tomb made in the resovior. When I die, place pulling the lever by my coffin will flood my tomb. I feel that it's fitting, the reservoir is my biggest contribution to the fort.
A metalcrafter has been possessed. I went ahead and built him a forge, but it won't do much good. All we have is zinc.
No migrants or trading caravans. I guess that's a good thing.
Only three bridges left before my plan is ready. Lower Whimcrafted could use more work, but it's passavle.
As I was writing, the metalcrafter began building something. Color me surprised. This is the third artifact in one year.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 07:06:03 pm by chaosgear »

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 07:30:42 pm »

16th of Opal, 252
Congratulations, Cheedows, you had another daughter. You don't waste time crankin' out little engraver spawn.
My tomb if finished, and the last of the bridges is under construction. All that's left is to link the master lever in Lower Whimcrafted to all the bridges, and we'll be set.
A public tomb is in the works. It only has one casket right now.
Oh, and that metalcrafter made a artifact copper shield. Holy carp, I didn't even know we had any copper.
"Soshbisek Sharul Tamol, "Sandveil the Impunity of Saviors", a copper shield. Highest quality. Encrusted with octagon cut kunzites and opal prase opal cabochons and encircled with bands of pearl cut rock crystals and table cut prase opals. On it is a image of Mawada Drunkenkisses the elf (snicker) and Ber Bulbseals the Notched Whips the dwarf in copper. It relates to the elf's confrontation of the dwarf."
Holy crap. And it's worth 59280*. Spiffy.

SPRING HAS ARRIVED!
In the last two months, there were seven childbirths. SEVEN. I guess it's obvious what happens when you lock forty five dwarves underground for a year. (that goes double for cheedows)
All the bridges are up. They aren't linked to the master lever, I'm leaving that to the next guy.
I got several alerts that stray bolts lying on the surface were getting stolen by thieves. Apparently, the zombie hoard is ignoring them.
Unfortunatly, I can't upload the save right now. I'll do it tomorrow. Then it's Joes turn.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 08:19:43 pm by chaosgear »

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 08:40:16 pm »

Well, any pros got any ideas on killing the necromancers?  I'l just go with being a women  :P

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 09:09:12 pm »

Get that save up, please!  I'm giving up DF for Lent (starts wednesday) so I've got to take my turn ASAP.

On the topic of undead:  In my limited experience, zombie seiges are best dealt with by turtling up and waiting for them to leave... and/or for goblins to arrive and kill them for you.  One thing I know for sure is, the necromancer doesn't always come in person with the zombies.  It's a lot easier to deal with zombies when there's no necromancer to re-raise them.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 09:17:53 pm »

Final Report

Map of Whimcrafted:
The Surface. Note the two Necromancers idling north of the main gate.

The first floor of the fort.

...while I'm thinking about it, all year I've been wondering what this here structure is;

Second floor. Added a lever room south of the dining hall.

Third floor. It was just an empty hall, so I started adding beds to make it a giant dorm. Before the zombies arrived.

Fourth floor I added to make a tomb.

The reservoir is in the passage to the caves. It's 5 z-levels below the surface, so it's close enough to the fort. Still empty.

The bottom of the reservoir and my tomb.

From there the passage leads down until it forks. One path leads to the first cave and Lower Whimcrafted, the other will eventually connect
to the second cave layer.

Finally, Lower Whimcrafted.

And for the lulz, Cheedowz dwarf:

Save is  here!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 09:56:50 pm by chaosgear »

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 10:09:21 pm »

Well? Did the download work? This thing was giving me some difficulty while I was trying to get it to upload.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 10:20:39 pm »

Got it, great, although having it as an RAR was a pain in the butt, I had to download some new piece of software to unzip it.  Better use ZIP next time.  Good work on the fortress, it's an interesting work of architecture.  Lower whimcrafted definitely has potential, although it will need better defenses.

Any idea how to change the ASCII tiles back to normal?  I'm going to ask in gameplay questions.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 10:41:46 pm »

Whachu talkin' 'bout!? ASCII IS normal!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9