Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Whimcrafted succession game  (Read 7174 times)

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whimcrafted succession game
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 03:03:32 am »

Got it, great, although having it as an RAR was a pain in the butt, I had to download some new piece of software to unzip it.  Better use ZIP next time.  Good work on the fortress, it's an interesting work of architecture.  Lower whimcrafted definitely has potential, although it will need better defenses.

Any idea how to change the ASCII tiles back to normal?  I'm going to ask in gameplay questions.

If you're using the Lazy Newb Pack, you can just install your desired graphics and update save games automagically with the LNP launcher.  I was using Ironhand graphics, so if you liked that look go with those.

..while I'm thinking about it, all year I've been wondering what this here structure is;
It's for filling a reservoir. :)

I made some notes about it in my updates, but didn't upload an image.  I usually make my plumbing system with lots of hatch covers and floodgates, so as to avoid any accidental flooding- and this was just a little starter room for anyone who wanted to get water into the fort.  Your reservoir could, theoretically, still be filled from there once the brook thaws- although we'd want to use a pressure regulator to keep the reservoir from spilling over and flooding the passage.

As for the undead- I vote for cage traps!  I reckon that'd be slightly more !!fun!! than atom smashing.  I don't think a caged necromancer can work his dark magics, so we could then use the undead in an arena type situation once we have some military dwarves sufficiently trained and equipped to fight a few zombies at a time.  And that way when we get around to the executions, the kills are credited to our army, and potential fodder for the engravers!

And yes:  cheedowz got a lady.  We were running low on men. :P

Nice job moving us down to the caverns!  Do we have defenses down there?  I'd hate to see dwarves being lost to cave beasties.

Also, as a special request to the next overseer- could Randy be reassigned as a milker/cheese maker?  It just makes sense, really.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 03:26:55 am by Randy Gnoman »

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 11:48:20 am »

Whachu talkin' 'bout!? ASCII IS normal!
I meant the normal ASCII as opposed to the weird ASCII (see how the stone walls are weird in your screenshots?).  I figured it out with help from the forums.  I just replaced the regionwhimcrafted/raw/objects folder with an uncorrupted one.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 11:55:26 am »

There's a minor flaw with the atom-smasher plan, and that is when the bridges are up, the zombies won't path toward them and won't get into atom-smashing position.  So what I will need to do (and I need to check if the architecture allows this) is to make them "leaky" with a tiny passage around each of them.  Then even in the "up" position the undead will path into the traps.  This is of course somewhat risky.  It wouldn't have been my first idea for the defense, but to see the former overseer's vision realized I will give it a try.

Lower Whimcrafted is built with a great deal of solid rock behind it, so I'm thinking of really building a whole replacement fort down there and civilizing the first cavern as a farming/hunting/fishing/lumbering/harvesting ground with walls or traps to keep out FBs.  I've never done that before so it should be interesting.  We will need a shaft to the surface and a shaft to the magma, of course, if we are going to survive long term in the deep.  You will  have my report most likely late tonight.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2013, 12:06:43 pm »

Ptw.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2013, 12:27:06 pm »

Ptw.
Can you spell it out for me?  I know what "FTW" means, but you've stumped me with this.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 12:32:14 pm »

Ptw.
Can you spell it out for me?  I know what "FTW" means, but you've stumped me with this.
*facepalm*
Post To Watch.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 02:48:02 pm »

What does "FTW" mean?

Is my dorf still breathing, I've been busy and got to read three pages of fort in one go.

Engrave anything usefull? ???

That weird ASCII, isn't that just windowed mode of ASCII?

Real interesting so far.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 03:36:06 pm »

What does "FTW" mean?

Is my dorf still breathing, I've been busy and got to read three pages of fort in one go.

Engrave anything usefull? ???

That weird ASCII, isn't that just windowed mode of ASCII?

Real interesting so far.
For The Win, if I'm not mistaken.

No named dwarves have died. Only one dwarf died, a ranger.

Apparently, it is different ASCII, but I never noticed anything that stuck out at me as weird.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 04:50:53 pm »

4 granite:  I have begun planning out my improvements to lower whimcrafted.  If it's within my abilities, the lower fort will be more than a refuge, but the heart of our settlement here.  I've dug down-stairs and on the level below the cavern floor we'll have workshops and raw material stockpiles.  I have asked our masons (particularly UristTheGrey) to begin making stone blocks -- lots of them will be necessary for walling off the caverns from uninvited guests.

With no organized militia, we're in precarious shape.  Our weapon stockpile has only four axes, a dagger, and a number of crossbows.  I've appointed Zubb to be our Secretary of Defense and he has commissioned two squads: a squad of marksdwarves under his leadership, and a squad of four axedwarves.

I have ordered the slaughter of our larger grazing beasts.  I have ordered a new stockpile for drinks and prepared meals, so our dwarves aren't drinking directly from the still.

15th granite:  Water has begun flowing through the new water-works and into the reservoir.  Following the former overseer's recommendations, I pulled the level marked "reservoir" to make sure it didn't overflow.  Nothing happened.  I pulled the lever again.  Still nothing.  I examined the gates and saw that no mechanisms were even attached to them.  We now have a dangerous waterfall dumping into a subterranean lake, and it will be running until winter.

3rd slate:  Miasma is becoming a problem -- our butcher cannot stockpile the meat he has cut, because the food stockpile is completely jammed with worthless inedible dimple cups.  New stockpiles for edibles and for rotten refuse have been created.  Cog F. has been possessed and taken over a craftdwarf's workshop.

10th slate:  Two (non-named) militia dwarves have disappeared, presumed drowned.

I thought the reason mining was going so slow was that two of the three picks were inaccessible, perhaps on the surface.  Now I know the reason instead is that several dwarfs in upper whimcrafted cannot reach lower whimcrafted.  I have commissioned a vertical stairway.  The architecture I inherited is beautiful and functional, but hard to make sense of.  A direct shaft will be a lot easier for future overseers to understand.

A child, Sarvesh L. has also disappeared, presumed drowned.

27th slate:  Cog F. has created An Elbem, a schist amulet. 

The stair-shaft is complete, and we have begun to wall off the edges of the map to prevent (walking) creatures from appearing.  We will need to build multi-z walls to seal the caverns completely, as well as wall off the lakes and pools.

6th felsite:  Uh-oh....

[to be continued]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 05:35:56 pm by joeclark77 »

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 05:03:11 pm »

What.
WHAT!?
I could've sworn I had a floodgate installed and connected! Why isn't it working? Once I get off work, I'll take a look to see what's going wrong.
Is the flooding what's separating the two forts? Maybe you pulled the wrong lever and raised a bridge instead. Couldn't you wall off the flooded area?
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 05:35:05 pm »

A floodgate, eh?  I assumed that the drawbridges on the up/down rampways were supposed to shut off the water.  If there's a floodgate I don't know where it would be.  The water is flowing down the 3-tile-wide rampway into the caverns and being dumped into the lake.  This is why I like nice central staircases in my forts... it's very easy to see which stuff is connected to which, and which way things will flow.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2013, 05:38:22 pm »

The forgotten beast Dethe is made of black diamond, has webs, and is in our caverns.  [If I'm not mistaken, that's about the most dangerous FB imaginable, except that it doesn't fly.] It spawned in a corner with water on three sides and the map edge on the other, so we might have been safe if it couldn't swim.  Unfortunately... it can swim.  I'm building more walls to try and seal off lower whimcrafted, and the beast is meandering slowly, so we may yet make it. If I were a betting man, though, I wouldn't bet on it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:12:09 pm by joeclark77 »

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2013, 05:44:55 pm »

The switch SHOULD control a floodgate near the brook. I may have gotten distracted and forgot to make sure it works, what with the walking corpse army and giant tarantulas.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2013, 06:11:25 pm »

Do you want to try it on your savefile and see if it works for you?  I don't even know where to look for it.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2013, 06:15:29 pm »

Just tried it. It works.
The dining hall of Upper Whimcrafted has a room branching to the south with two levers in it. Pulling the left one activates the floodgate.

The floodgate is positioned right next to the brook, rather than the reservoir, so it will take a bit for the channel to drain, but it works.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9