Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need help modding my creature  (Read 672 times)

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need help modding my creature
« on: February 07, 2013, 04:11:01 pm »

So I am trying to make an almost invincible creature and for now I am just modify dwarves until I move it into a custom creature. So I need some help. I made it so my creature is made out of adamantine and has dragonfire. But I was trying to kill a necro tower full of zombies and they keep disabling me. If I let them get close they disable my ability to grasp and stand. If I breathe fire they just keep burning and dont die. I even came back after leaving for awhile and many of them had most of their body parts listed as gone. But they wouldn't. The dragonfire burned them infinetely. Since they are not dieing from it. So I was wondering a few things:

How can I give my creature adamantine blades or swords for arms? if possible.

How can I change dragonfire to shoot out a syndrome instead. So it has a contaminant spewed out that will do whatever the syndrome does on touch/breath.

Does my creature need wings to fly or can I just put the token for flying in. [CANFLY] I think...

I think thats it. I know these are probably noobish since I'm new to modding.

Avelon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:INDULGE_IN_MYSTICISM:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: I need help modding my creature
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 04:52:57 pm »

How can I give my creature adamantine blades or swords for arms? if possible.

Does my creature need wings to fly or can I just put the token for flying in. [CANFLY] I think...

I think thats it. I know these are probably noobish since I'm new to modding.
1.) You can change one of the 4 default unarmed attacks and then set it as your main attack to accomplish this.

From
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
MAIN versus SECONDARY just determines which one you will prefer to do when unarmed. You'll still sometimes use the other attacks. If you want your only attack to be the 'sword arm' attack, change all 4 to be identical with one of them having MAIN and the rest SECONDARY.

If you want the sword-arm to be visual, you'll need to add it to body_default.txt (look at some of the parts there such as tusks or horns to see how you might accomplish this) and then add or replace the body parts for your custom creature in the entities file and change the name in the above attack to reflect that body part it's actually using.

You can also change the attack skill to SWORD so it will use and train your Swordsman skill instead of being your default unarmed skill.

Just using the above has the advantage of giving you what amounts to sharp edges on your forearms and down one side of your hand that you can karate chop things with for a strong cutting attack.

2.) If you do add wings to your creature, them being damaged will hurt your ability to fly just like leg damage hurts your ability to stand and walk. I didn't test to see if you can fly without wings though, try it!

Experimentation is how we enrich ourselves as modders.

--
As for syndromes, that's a little more complicated. Check out the last few posts of the Modding Tiny Questions Thread to see what Tevish Szat was working on. I'd offer a better answer but I myself am pretty clueless, as you can see by my own recent posts in the thread! =P
(I just happen to have made a custom race for myself and changed one of the attacks and added wings soooo...)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 06:08:02 pm »

They can fly without wings, they only need the [FLIER] tag

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile