Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Age of Wonders 3: Game out March 31st!  (Read 6960 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Wonders 3: Announcement is live!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 08:37:05 am »

Looks interesting, I bought Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic off of Good Old Games because it intrigued me though... I have very little idea how to play and what I've done of the tutorials in game do very little to explain deeper tactics and mechanics. Is there any strategy guides around I could read?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 09:54:35 am »

I've been thinking: maybe we could try to set up a Shadow Magic LAN game or PBEM (play by e-mail), if there is enough intrest.

I would be up for that, though I would likely do pretty badly.

Looks interesting, I bought Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic off of Good Old Games because it intrigued me though... I have very little idea how to play and what I've done of the tutorials in game do very little to explain deeper tactics and mechanics. Is there any strategy guides around I could read?

Basic mechanics: all attacks come in two categories, physical or magical. Each point in defense reduces the chance of a physical attack by 5%, and resistance does the same for magical attacks. A high attack value means that the attack is more likely to hit, and when it does, it deals a random amount of damage, between 1 and the damage stat. Most attacks have their own damage and attack, only melee uses a creatures own attack and damage. Ranged attacks have modifiers for distance and obstacles. When an attack is selected, you can see its details in the lower left.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 11:07:48 am »

Watching this with intrest, after all AoW2 and SM used to be some of my favorite games.

I loved AoW2, after I read about it in a gaming magazine I subscribed to at the time.  SM I played some of, but never finished the campaign.

AoW3?  Shit, man, I haven't eagerly anticipated the release of a game in years!  About time!

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 12:27:23 pm »

For strategy guides, especially to older games, it's worth checking on gamefaqs.org - http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/914785-age-of-wonders-shadow-magic/faqs

And yea, I remember really liking AOW1 (although it wasn't MOM, it's hardly fair 'cause nothing else has ever been MOM) and not liking AOW2 so much - to the point that I lost interest midway through the campaign in AOW2.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 01:57:05 pm »

I will be seriously pissed if this does not have a random map generator. That is all.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 02:36:25 pm »

Holy shit yes. I thought this was a topic about AoW 1&2, never thought there'd be a third.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 05:49:43 am »

I will be seriously pissed if this does not have a random map generator. That is all.

From the Community Q&A Part II:

The totally rewritten random map generator allows you to generate scenarios according to your wishes at the click of a button.

I agree, strategy games not including random map generators is a pretty big flaw these days. Some games have an excuse (for example Anno, where the resource distribution is a lot more complex than just a couple varieties), but a truly random map generator offers much better replayability.

Of course, some developers have their own interpretation of random: Elemental was said to have a random map generator, but in fact the landmasses were always fixed and the generator was only for resources and other points of interests. Not sure if this was fixed in Fallen Enchantress as I haven't played it enough to know for sure. I don't recall much of AoW2/SM but I know the original AoW1 only had a map editor (which, though people did great things with, is still not a random generator), so it could be a risk here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 06:16:36 am »

2/Shadow Magic had both a map editor and a random map generator.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 07:01:18 am »

2/Shadow Magic had both a map editor and a random map generator.

2 did not have a random map generator (editor, yes).  SM did, but I don't recall it being very good.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 07:38:57 am »

SM's generator was awful at small maps, one time I made a smallest size 4 player map, it put every special feature on the top edge of the map.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 08:30:02 am »

SM's generator was awful at small maps, one time I made a smallest size 4 player map, it put every special feature on the top edge of the map.

It also loved putting desert next to snow.  For no apparent reason.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Wonders 3: Release date is live!
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 04:25:56 pm »

I wasn't sure whether to necro this thread or start a new one, but I figured to justify a new one I'd probably need to post a bunch of stuff I'm too lazy to put together :p

This now has a release date!

31st March 2014

Pre-orders are also now available (Steam, GoG).  Pre-order bonus is an extra scenario or somesuch.  Deluxe edition is £5 more (dunno about other currencies) and comes with another extra scenario and the soundtrack.

I have to say, reading up on this over the last year and especially the gameplay videos (as relatively few as they are) have got me really hyped for this game.  Even the dramatic reduction in races available (at least as your main race) hasn't dampened my enthusiasm much - I'm hoping the addition of leader classes and the effect they have on your empire at least partially mitigates that.  Goblin Theocrats and all that.

For reference, the videos I've found most informative were: Dreadnaught, Archdruid, and some guy's beta let's play (5 parts, possibly breaches NDA, mostly German voiceover).  Also Rogue, purely because bearded dwarven succubi :P

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 05:17:40 pm »

Hmm, interesting. I'll probably hold off until I get some good reviews from people here on it. I have so many games in my queue I'm not sure how soon I'd actually get around to playing this even if I did get it first thing.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 06:03:52 pm »

Heh, this game has apparently caused quite a controversy at GOG, as GOG has let it use regional pricing.  GOG made a big deal a while ago about how it isn't going to charge different prices to different regions and made fun of other digital distributors for doing so.

Doesn't really affect me, but I think they would have been better off sticking to their principles.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 06:17:34 pm »

Yeah, the price on GOG is absurd.

I did some conversion for my regional currency (BRL) and turns out that the standard version in GOG is about R$20 more expensive than the deluxe version on steam.

What the fuck GOG/Triumph
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4