Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Age of Wonders 3: Game out March 31st!  (Read 6953 times)

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Age of Wonders 3: Game out March 31st!
« on: February 07, 2013, 02:48:30 pm »

After 11 years, Triumph Studios has returned to its roots: Age of Wonders! After eleven years, Age of Wonders 3 has been announced. You find more info on the official website here. Rock Paper Shotgun has a short blurb about it here. A trailer can be found here.

EDIT: Game will be released March 31st!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 09:26:53 am by Dohon »
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Wonders 3: Announcement is live!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 02:55:29 pm »

Please end up as awesome as it should be, please end up as awesome as it should be.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 02:56:09 pm »

Damnit. Everytime I see "Age of Wonders," for a few seconds I think it's Age of Mythology. Then I realize it's not, and now I am disappointed. (Not that there was ever an Age of Mythology 2, as far as I know)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 02:57:46 pm »

For me, Age of Wonders blew Age of Mythology right out of the water. Age of Wonders has cost me hundreds of hours, all given with a smile and a "once more into the breach, my Orc Warlords!". Age of Wonders 2 didn't inspire the same drive though, but, if this one does ... After watching the trailer, hearing the music and seeing a bit of footage, I can only think of one thing:

"Is it autumn yet?"
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 03:19:01 pm »

Age of Wonders 1 was more like Master of Magic gameplay wise.
It gave the player a TON of freedom when it came to casting spells (some of them were also potentially gamebreaking and capable of afffecting the entire world map like flood.
Also all units had some lore text some serious others funny but almost always fun to read.

Age of Wonders 2 went away with a lot of freedom in favour of a more balanced gameplay without nearly as many ridiculously strong spells.

Age of Wonders 3? We shall see!
I assume everyone in B12 will be playing as technicrats and flatten everything with massive steamtanks that make "Ratte" look like a tankette?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:23:36 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 03:21:54 pm »

Watching this with intrest, after all AoW2 and SM used to be some of my favorite games.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 03:23:34 pm »

I liked aow 1 more due to the extra freedom and the races just seemed more interesting. AoW 2 had superior combat but its art style, plot and spellcasting were sort of crappy imo. I hope they take the good parts of the early games and combine them to make the best AoW yet.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 05:38:29 pm »

Seems like the 'publisher' will be Notch. Yes, the one who made Minecraft.
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 06:12:42 pm »

This has me pretty excited. Age of Wonders 1 was one of my first games, and through the series I've spent hundreds of hours in the world editor alone. Definitely keeping an eye on this one. If it can live up to the example set by its predecessors (And the trailer seems to indicate exceeding it), then I look forward to dumping a few more months into this one.

Seems like the 'publisher' will be Notch. Yes, the one who made Minecraft.

That made me "wtf" for a moment, then I read the story behind it. It seems like this is a Very Good Thing.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 05:50:57 am »

It's great to see that the Age of Wonders series is going to be revived. The first game pretty much defined my childhood gaming, and I still play a hell of a lot of shadow magic. I have some pretty high hopes for this one.

I can be pretty certain that it's not just going to be shovelware that ruins the name of the series. Triumph have consistently made awesome games, notch is not going to as bad as most publishers, and they've been working on it since 2010, so it's not going to be rushed.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 06:07:43 am »

This looks pretty fucking awesome.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 08:18:39 am »

This looks pretty fucking awesome.

+1 :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 08:22:55 am »

That isn't how you make a proper thread. You need to compare this to other games :P You know "Age of Wonders 3: it is like a mix between Dwarf Fortress and Age of Empires"

Interestingly this will likely be another Age of Wonders my friend hates. I bought Age of Wonders 2 with the intent of playing it with him only to find out it was the one he "hates".

Yet everything he disliked about the changes between 1 and 2... is still in 3.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 08:25:20 am »

Pretty cool, this announcement was how I found out about the Age of Wonders, to be honest. Will try playing Shadow Magic with my roommate to see how it goes, since we're both pretty big fantasy TBS fans.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 08:31:36 am »

I've been thinking: maybe we could try to set up a Shadow Magic LAN game or PBEM (play by e-mail), if there is enough intrest.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4