Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 89

Author Topic: Pathfinder Non-Sequential - Girlinhat is your DM!  (Read 91795 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder Non-Sequential - Girlinhat is your DM!
« Reply #1215 on: April 05, 2013, 07:37:49 am »

Right then. I will send my character soon enough, maybe if someone sends another character we can play tomorrow.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: April 05, 2013, 08:02:13 am »

Does this mean the restrictions on shenanigan characters are lifted?  Could I be a spiked chain douche?
Shoes...

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: April 05, 2013, 08:40:46 am »

So, is this a thing for me if I'd like to join in, but I'm not sure if I can be there consistently? It sounds like that's the point, but I want to be sure before I "commit." I have a kobold summoner idea that I really want to try out...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 08:42:34 am by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: April 05, 2013, 08:41:38 am »

It was fun while it lasted. Party members dropping out and new party members joining all the time created confusion and lack of RPing so it's probably a better idea to make things combat-oriented without a consistent plot. I don't think I'll be joining this one because I'm thinking about joining another campaign and two games a week is too much for me.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: April 05, 2013, 01:08:52 pm »

It was fun while it lasted. Party members dropping out and new party members joining all the time created confusion and lack of RPing so it's probably a better idea to make things combat-oriented without a consistent plot. I don't think I'll be joining this one because I'm thinking about joining another campaign and two games a week is too much for me.

aw damn, I'll miss you man

no more badass duo

Does this mean the restrictions on shenanigan characters are lifted?  Could I be a spiked chain douche?

Only if I can get 2 extra arms with the Vestigial arms discovery, then two weapon fighting and multiweapon fighting.

4 claw attacks and 1 bite attack per round at max bab and with like 26 str = hilarity. Especially with a greater magic fang on.

Melee guys get +5 attacks with weapons at level 20, there's no reason I can't get as much with natural weapons.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:13:13 pm by Naryar »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: April 05, 2013, 01:22:51 pm »

In that case you may want to be a Tengu or Catfolk, as they can already get natural claw and bite attacks.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: April 05, 2013, 03:45:28 pm »

Except that they get poor ones compared to alchemist's feral mutagen.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: April 05, 2013, 03:58:03 pm »

aw damn, I'll miss you man

no more badass duo

I'm gonna miss our charges against anything that will easily kill us (like a spear formation) and our suspiciousness against every simple things (like a hole in the floor or a fox).

Anyway, I might still join back in if things don't work out in that campaign, if there are still slots left.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: April 05, 2013, 04:12:04 pm »

You better come back.

actually i was worrying about damage, but damage should be just fine with feral mutagen (1d8 bite/1d6 claw/1d6 claw), then furious mutagen (2d6/1d8/1d8) then improved natural attack feat on both bite and claw (3d6/2d6/2d6).

Now add enlarge person (4d6/3d6/3d6), master chymist brutality bonuses (+4), Strength bonus (probably to +8 alchemical with greater mutagen, +2 or +3 natural strength bonus, and +13 with a belt of enhancement bonus to Str), power attack (+8 at the end), yeah... 4d6+25/3d6+25/3d6+25 IS quite nice at level 20. also, all attacks made at full bab because it's a natural attack. all goodie !

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: April 05, 2013, 04:15:41 pm »

Granted that you can't use weapons with those, because a Claw attack requires an empty hand, and you cannot upgrade your claws with things like "able to hit incorporeal enemies" or "my claws are considered silver for DR" but yeah, you can get decent damage.

I've seriously considered making a Tengu Fighter to exploit natural attacks as the only firepower.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: April 05, 2013, 04:23:52 pm »

Granted that you can't use weapons with those, because a Claw attack requires an empty hand, and you cannot upgrade your claws with things like "able to hit incorporeal enemies" or "my claws are considered silver for DR" but yeah, you can get decent damage.

Well, I can:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/amulet-of-mighty-fists
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/magic-fang
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/eldritch-claws

although it's not as varied or easy as getting weapons, but at least I don't need to use money on weapons at all. Well, except at level 1.

also at level 10 I can get free Pounce with beastmorph mutagen, which is very nice.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 04:30:16 pm by Naryar »

Bikari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: April 05, 2013, 06:47:44 pm »

Alright ladies, gentlemen, tieflings. Here's the basics of how this will work to alleviate a few things before the details are fleshed out and we have a finished model to work from.

Characters will be part of a faction, the number of factions available and their goals is still in debate, but you're part of one such faction. People can take a variety of missions, quests, adventures through this faction likely kept track of through a thread, IE, either myself or Girlinhat will post a list of missions and if there's something you like the look of you can sign up to take it, either by yourself or in a squad. These missions will have a ranking system, what you can take will depend on your actions within the faction, reputation, good-standing with leaders, everyone is one big dysfunctional family. No-name Joe can't take a mission to save the Princess, because the faction won't trust some new kid with something so important.

These missions will likely be seperated into two types, type one will be short, quick, lot of dice rolls and combat oriented for you roguelike hack and slash lovers that want drop in and out gaming, turn up with your character take the mission to kill some goblins with your buddies, have a nice short adventure of jolly co-operation and done. We'll keep track of your characters for whenever you want to turn up again for another one.

Type two, the kind of missions that lean toward the people who want their adventures, roleplay oriented with longer campaigns, a lot more to do to complete them and likely take a long as hell time to finish. Develop your characters, find a love interest, hunt elk in the everglades to make a tent with their hides, and bring back tales of adventure grossly over exaggerated about how you fought off an elder wyrm wielding nothing but a chicken in a blizzard that would make Pharasma Herself shiver for the new kids at the faction.

A few of you might now be thinking "Who's this crazy lady shouting about factions at us" well, you're wrong about one thing. I'm not shouting. I introduced GiH to D&D, one miss Alouette based Elias' personality off my character and self, I've followed your old campaign every step of the way, and now I'm writing some of your scenes, how this game works, and helping GiH DM it.

Oh, and to answer something I saw earlier, I'm not sure where it was but this will only be plotless monster bashing if that's the route you choose to take. Personally, I am a DM that takes roleplay over the dice, if you do something creative, in-character, and I like it. I'll write up a rule for what you want to do on the spot assuming it's not totally insane, sky's not quite the limit but it's close. Your bluff, diplomacy, and intimidate checks? Best damned tell me how you go about them, I'll give you a +1 if it's good. -1 if it's lazy. Want to break the limits on what your magic can do? I'll try and work something out with GiH.

D&D is a game about roleplay, imagination, creativity and fantasy where you're given freedom, let's try and bring that back so we aren't so dice heavy shall we?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: April 06, 2013, 06:28:04 am »

Elias as a GM helper ? OH SHI-

Well, my character is ready, except for the custom rules of this particular campaign.

I can change it on the fly as well.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: April 06, 2013, 09:20:55 am »

Ok, this sounds fantastic and I'll be in, even if I have to shift things around to make time for it.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: April 06, 2013, 09:46:20 am »

Also, a tentative plan right now, but I'm debating a method to have players dropping in and out make sense as well as allow some semi-persistence.

The theme is, you're about this vessel, which may be a boat, airship, or even a structure, which has equipped a mobile teleport ring, allowing it to travel to different places as well as bring in people from distant places - so players can come and go "via the teleport ring" and fancy excuses don't have to be made about where you are this week while you're missing a session.

When the vessel is in an area, you'll have access to local resources and locations, such as towns to buy things from and dungeons to raid, as well as the local population and factions.  In one area, there may be few settlements but there used to be a very strong mining force, so there's abandoned mineshaft ripe for dungeon-diving.  Other areas may be more metropolis, allowing for more social-skill use and urban combat, as well as the usual sewers/catacombs and whatnot.

The very tentative thing I'm mulling over is how to keep things persistent enough to care, but fluid enough that people won't feel like they missed out if they're out sick for a session.  One thing I've thought of was a sort of MMO-like system of 'everyone helps the group simply by running missions' and overall resources.  For instance, if the group takes on a specific mission to go raid an exotic weapons warehouse, then the everyone could benefit with some cheap weapons and potions for a while, or if the party explores an old mine shaft then everyone might benefit from getting new raw ore and being able to put armor on the group's vessel.  Similarly, an event may happen that local raiders attack the vessel, and the armor plates would greatly benefit defense or even discourage attacks from even starting.  Faction relations would also be whole-group, so if one party aids the local priests, then everyone would get a +1 to diplomacy rolls when dealing with these priests.

Of course, all these things would be temporary.  Eventually the exotic weapons would all be used up, the armor plates would wear down, and the local priests would think 'it's been long enough to ask favors'.  This would be to encourage some repetition, honestly, to prevent the whole group from getting too strong.  Mainly, this is to let new players do things as well.  If one group adds armor plating to the vessel, then that's a mission that no other group could do.  But if the armor wears down over time, then new players would get the chance to do the armor mission.  So it's as much a way to keep existing players busy as it is to let new players experience content.

This is all tentative, but I'm liking the idea so far.  Some players could just decide "Oh, there's caves nearby, let's go raid them" and just accrue some wealth and hacky-slashy, while others could undertake more group-oriented or plot-oriented missions.  The mobile vessel setup also allows for convenient shifting of position, so that one session might be in the desert but another may be at a harbor, while still allowing enough persistence of "we're going to be in the desert for the next month" so players can prepare accordingly.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 89