Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 89

Author Topic: Pathfinder Non-Sequential - Girlinhat is your DM!  (Read 91909 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) Girlinhat is your DM!
« Reply #1005 on: March 12, 2013, 07:01:02 pm »

My rule of thumb for each session will be "If I'm not BS'ing as fast as I can, then you're not roleplaying enough."  Stop the random farmer with a cart of radishes and make me panic as I try to determine what he's doing and why it's important.  Really, if you look anywhere, I'm creative enough and improvosational enough to start story lines just about anywhere.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 13, 2013, 12:56:54 pm »

No worries, I will roleplay. I like fighting more than roleplaying, though.

although fighting and roleplaying is just perfect, I guess. I can't wait for that war.

also, dibs on the spider vault for our base of operations ?

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 13, 2013, 01:02:34 pm »

No, it's still the property of the crown, we didn't dig it up, so that's not really smart.
Besides, who wants to live in a hole other than dwarves?
...Wait.

Edit: half the time, I don't know if Lek is roleplaying or not, because he's... entirely identical to Naryar.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 13, 2013, 01:14:51 pm »

No, it's still the property of the crown, we didn't dig it up, so that's not really smart.
Besides, who wants to live in a hole other than dwarves?
...Wait.

Edit: half the time, I don't know if Lek is roleplaying or not, because he's... entirely identical to Naryar.

We can probably convince the crown to lend it to us for some gold and/or promise of military help.

after all, it's an empty vault. It's not gonna be useful until the war is over, so we can at least take it for a while.

also is my personality exactly the same as Lek's ? Hmm, I didn't thought it was the case. Not exactly the same, at least.

and at least it has only one entry (so pretty well defended) and we can still build a wall all over it if you want some fresh air.

Lek may dig to make it bigger, but he is no miner, even if he is a dwarf.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 13, 2013, 01:28:21 pm »

It was a compliment. :S

I want a barony. A castle. One reason I switched to the order of the swords, you know?
Though we should start small. We could amass wealth and use the gold to build us a mercenary guild in grand south, it would generate income, and we could use it as a base as well.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 13, 2013, 02:49:22 pm »

I was going to say something about the spider vault.  Instead I'll just let you guys handle it in-game and start roleplaying some good old fashioned begging.

"PLEASE can we live in the spiderhole?"

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 13, 2013, 03:31:06 pm »

We are going to live in a dirty vault? Then do what? Turn the game into DF? Dig deeper and conquer the Hell?

Hey, it does sound cool now. Somebody should turn DF into a DnD game.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 13, 2013, 03:46:11 pm »

It was a compliment. :S

I want a barony. A castle. One reason I switched to the order of the swords, you know?
Though we should start small. We could amass wealth and use the gold to build us a mercenary guild in grand south, it would generate income, and we could use it as a base as well.

Eh, buying a building in grand south and turning it into a mercenary's guild sounds just fine.

We won't have to move much to buy stuff at least... but we'll probably be less safe. You know, random assassins in the night send by some random guy we antagonized in the past.

also a castle ? You'll probably need Leadership before that.

hey GiH but how much is a middle-sized, several-story building worth ? Something like several thousand gp ?

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 13, 2013, 03:53:08 pm »

I'm definitely down with founding a mercenary's guild. Artael is all about that kind of stuff.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 13, 2013, 03:56:13 pm »

I'm definitely down with founding a mercenary's guild. Artael is all about that kind of stuff.

I'm happy with it as well. It'll provide some good opportunities to fight, and roleplay.

also I thought you were content with rolling around in gold all day ?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 13, 2013, 04:11:15 pm »

hey GiH but how much is a middle-sized, several-story building worth ? Something like several thousand gp ?
Depends where.  A lot of the cost is in property cost, as the city is already full and buying anything there is gonna be costly.  On the other hand, the middle of the woods is free, and with magic, it's horribly cheap.  In particular, Wall of Stone, Fabricate, Stone Shape, and the infamous Lyre of Building allow for some quick construction!

However, generally speaking, in and about town, there's two easy guides I could find off-hand.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
One is from the Guide to Korvosa of Pathfinder, the other is off d20srd.com for 3.0 rules.  The blue Korvosa guide is more suited to in-city buildings, where permits and zoning matter more than actual materials, while the brown 3.0 guide is just general base prices.

Point is, there's plenty of different guides for pricing, namely listed in plenty of different location details.  As with all realty, it depends on Location, Location, Location.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 13, 2013, 04:16:19 pm »

The point is, we are not going to live in a dirty hole.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 13, 2013, 04:25:05 pm »

I always feel weird when the rules in dungeons and dragons don't make sense often within itself.

Buildings are the best example of things that are excessively expencive because they are scaled to the players but not the NPCs. The same goes with paying someone to cast a spell especially when you compare training time and how many spells they have in a day and how long those spells last.

Let me just put it to you this way. The MAJOR industry in dungeons and dragons can only be adventuring. A pound of gold is only worth 50 gold coins.

You actually need 20 pounds of gold (a big bar of gold) to afford a single small house.

Yet get into how much each spell costs as well. It takes less then a year of training to become a level 1 cleric, wizard, sorcerer, or Bard and a year of doing little to get to level 2 (And another year to get to level 3 BARELY)... and yet a 3 year Cleric who gets hundreds upon hundreds of cure light wounds in a year will charge more then a pound of gold for each use.

Profession the skill that dictates how much you make as a Baker makes so many times less then the level 1 warrior guard infront of a store. The Baker is NEVER going to afford a house.

Honestly I WANT a game about dungeons and dragons economics and how insane it is.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:30:34 pm by Neonivek »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 13, 2013, 04:31:30 pm »

I guess I can build a house (mostly) with Stone Shape at level 5 cleric, so level 6 according to my planned progression. I guess Elias will be able to do it one level earlier. Fabricate... we don't have it.

and it will be not very expensive, maybe just to buy the land. We will need quite a bit of stone as well

It's just going to take quite a bit of time. Like... at least ten castings of stone shape. We'll probably need to build on stone or spend one day digging soil to reach stone.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 13, 2013, 04:39:49 pm »

Actually, one guy made a decent base line of prices, based off the cost of meals.  The result is that a 'poor' house (dirt floor, thatch roof) costs 3gp per square foot (75gp per 5-foot tile), a 'common' house (wooden floor, tar+shingle roof, furniture) would be 9pg per square foot (225gp per 5-foot), and a 'good' house (stone floor, upper floor and/or basement) would be 15gp per square foot (375gp per 5-foot).

The formula there is meal cost (1sp, 3sp, and 5sp) x 30 = 1 square foot.

For 1,000gp, you could get 13x 5-foot tiles, probably a 3x4 house with the leftover 100gp going towards furnishings, for dirt floor and leaky roof.
A similar sized 'common' home would cost you 2,700 without furnishings, and a 'good' home would be 5,000.

Making rough guesses, if we base off a six player party, and give 3x3 room to everyone, that's 54 tiles of raw floor space, but that'd be lack of privacy, or putting in a hallway, a 2-wide hallway would be +16 tiles.  Add a little storage closet on the end, for +2 or +4...  74 5-foot tiles would cost 5,550, 16,650, or 27,750 for a modest bunk-house, not including things like kitchens, fireplaces, bathrooms, or luxuries.  Purely small 3x3 rooms for everyone.

I'll have to think more on it, but it'll likely be a bit cheaper than that.

NINJA: Naryar spending a few days to build a house is incredibly fast.  And you can hire mooks for 1sp per day to come haul stone/lumber, or hire stonecrafters/carpenters for like 1gp per day to do basic labor.  It would honestly be significantly cheaper to produce your own building, considering that lumber is historically a waste produce, from clearing land to live and farm on (gotta fell a LOT of trees for an acre of farmland) and stone is literally just lying a day's travel towards the mountain.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 89