Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 89

Author Topic: Pathfinder Non-Sequential - Girlinhat is your DM!  (Read 92003 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) Girlinhat is your DM!
« Reply #885 on: March 06, 2013, 01:55:16 pm »

Not to mention that all interaction before that point was, "I hate all of you but if we're going to town then I'll be aggressive and surly the whole way."

I don't mind characters who don't get along.  But that's a tricky roll to play, there's a difference between 'doesn't get along' and 'an asshole' and you were really on the one side there :/

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 06, 2013, 01:58:16 pm »

I won't allow changing classes simply because of how gamebreaking that can be.  Wanna be an early level barbarian and roflstomp the enemy with massive rage?  THEN become a 10th level wizard and roflstomp the enemy with massive spellpower?  No, pick one.  You can multiclass - that's the point of multiclassing - but being able to just 'swap classes' removes about 95% of the game's purpose.

You're not meant to adapt your character to new issues.  You're meant to adapt your tactics so that your existing character can deal with new problems.

Well no it is kinda entirely different and the rate at which I allow it is that 50% of exp is "retroactive" if you are "actively" retraining.

Multiclassing you see allows you to have the skillsets of two classes at once.

Retraining however eliminates the skillset of one class and gives you that of another.

I mean, if you could change classes, multiclassing would become obsolete

Well no not really. Multiclassing doesn't touch class changing.

Multiclassing is about amassing together the skills and abilities of multiple classes.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 02:01:42 pm by Neonivek »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 06, 2013, 02:28:17 pm »

Not to mention character class levels represent time and effort and learning, you can't just convert that into a different kind of time and effort and learning.

Anyway, unfortunately, the kobold will be moving on for good.  The whole ten-twelve hour sessions thing is never going to happen for me, and knowing most of the game would happen without me was kind of sapping my interest, so it'd probably be best if I joined the culling.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 06, 2013, 02:37:43 pm »

Not to mention character class levels represent time and effort and learning, you can't just convert that into a different kind of time and effort and learning

Well except the game does already and it is representative more of old skills becoming rusty as to become less useful or even useless. In fact the game also clearly has "Losing levels" as a NPC mechanic.

It is because the game doesn't have a mechanic for that because everything in the game is very linear so you take what you can get.

A Barbarian becoming a fighter? More then possible, shifting your physical prowress focus to one of pure physical dicipline would eliminate Barbarian levels over time.

This is especially telling because if you read the class descriptions classes are not just "experience" but they are also maintained. A fighter who doesn't maintain his skills is a warrior at best (the major difference between a Warrior and a Fighter is simple... A Fighter will practice)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 06, 2013, 03:44:35 pm »

Switching levels like you support should be limited to sufficiently similar classes, and possibly no more than 50% of the total levels switched.
. Like fighter and cavalier, fighter and ranger, barbarian and fighter, rogue and ranger, bard and sorcerer...

No wizard <=> barbarian, fighter <=> cleric, wizard <=> cleric or something completely improbable like paladin <=> barbarian.

also cthulhu is leaving... does that mean we will be a 5 adventurer party or do you seek 6 ?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 06, 2013, 03:54:09 pm »

There's going to be 6, my friend is apparently getting in this saturday.  Assuming she gets off her lazy ass and makes a Bay12 account...

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 06, 2013, 03:58:43 pm »

Holding out for a Rogue here...

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: March 06, 2013, 03:59:28 pm »

Nah, we have a barbarian. No need for a rogue.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: March 06, 2013, 04:01:05 pm »

Holding out for a Rogue here...

same here

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 06, 2013, 04:06:02 pm »

Nah, we have a barbarian. No need for a rogue.
Oh, I have no problems with being used as a multi-tool can opener and trap tester but one of these days GiH may decide to blow us up or something. She was inclined to TPK when I fucked up while trying to crack open a chest containing a crapload of alchemist's fire vials.

Besides, a Rogue's skills are useful anytime. You just never know.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: March 06, 2013, 05:19:13 pm »

Lacking a rogue honestly can be a lot of fun. The game becomes more about paying attention and problem solving then raw "I roll my get out of trap free skill".

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 06, 2013, 06:06:29 pm »

She's a cleric.

I'm also having a lot of fun with you guys not having a rogue.  You spent 30 minutes frantically rolling perception and detect magic over a few harmless holes in the floor.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: March 06, 2013, 06:09:57 pm »

She's a cleric.

Oh.

...What kind of cleric ?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:11:35 pm by Naryar »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 06, 2013, 06:13:52 pm »

There's way too many types of clerics, I have no idea...

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 06, 2013, 06:39:54 pm »

I wonder how Lek will interact with her :D
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 89