Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 89

Author Topic: Pathfinder Non-Sequential - Girlinhat is your DM!  (Read 92026 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) Girlinhat is your DM!
« Reply #870 on: March 05, 2013, 01:22:23 pm »

BTW, stop tempting DM into murdering us guys.

What murder ? Sure we rushed into a battle that was clearly NOT of our levels , and we had another that was quite difficult, but no one has been murdered yet.

No, she isn't being a killer game master. Killer game master is :
- oh your character is doing something I and I alone disapprove with ? Eat 20d6 lightning bolt out of nowhere ! No save !
- Randomly gives a -10 malus to Str because someone *wink wink* is slaughtering opponents incredibly easily.
- when sleeping, have a nebulous organization kidnap and torture one of the party members to -1hp
- 15 random encounters in a day, leaving us to fight the last one all with 5HP left and fatigue, possibly exhaution, not to speak of no abilities or spells left

She is giving us a challenge. By definition, challenge is something you can win. Not pointless cruelty to the players. I do believe she has being pretty fair with us. Hell, I even wonder how I got out of the gob camp alvie.

By the by, you all being Kittens is now CANON!

ok

I roll initiative and charge Neonivek.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 01:25:04 pm by Naryar »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 05, 2013, 01:26:55 pm »

- 15 random encounters in a day, leaving us to fight the last one all with 5HP left and fatigue, possibly exhaution, not to speak of no abilities or spells left
Get out of my notebook, it's cheating to read ahead :I

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: March 05, 2013, 01:29:37 pm »

Get out of my notebook, it's cheating to read ahead :I
divination is awesum

also I don't think we'll get this sort of stuff right now, maybe at level 5 or something.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 05, 2013, 02:21:22 pm »

Random encounters are mostly easy and usually used for wearing the party down by making them use supplies and time. It's the plot related stuff I'm afraid of.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 05, 2013, 02:27:24 pm »

Standard Pathfinder modules have 2 easy encounters and 2 killer.  The easy are easy, but unruly players will expend their spells, potions, and rage on them.  They they stop fighting kobolds and face a few hobgoblins, which are pretty easy to kill, unless you're out of supplies and they're sitting in shield formation throwing javelins.  Fireball would be nice, except the mage used all his spells frying kobolds.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: March 06, 2013, 11:31:40 am »

So how will we roll hitpoints for levels ? 1dx ? 1d0,5x + 0,5x ? Other methods ?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 06, 2013, 11:37:32 am »

Similar to attribute rolls, I don't like regular HP dice rolls because ONE bad roll can permanently stunt your character.

I was likely to do averages, with fractions rounding down until you gain another level and it becomes a whole number.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 06, 2013, 12:28:47 pm »

...How do you get fractions with HP rolls ?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 06, 2013, 12:46:13 pm »

Honestly Girlinhat there are two things I really dislike in general about leveling up:
1) Skill points in terms of changing intelligence
and
2) Hitpoints

For the first one what I always do is I allow retroactive skillpoint adjustment since... EVERY SINGLE NPC that has ever existed has done this. (In fact some rules even go as far as to give ways to spend new skillpoints)

For Hitpoints there are two methods

1) You get maximum hitpoints for the first three-five levels and then you roll afterwords
and
2) You always default to half your dice if you fail to roll over it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 06, 2013, 01:03:28 pm »

Pathfinder actually explicitly states, "Any attribute change which is persistent and lasts longer than 24 hours is counted for retroactive changes."  So if you gain int, then you gain retroactive skill points, same with con and HP points.

For level-up HP, I still feel a little weird that you can become unlucky and end up like, 6th level with 12 HP if you've done things very wrong.  I know it's all "the luck of the dice" but character creation is one part that I want to be actually concrete.  After all, if your character is reliable then anything else is secondary.  If your character is in question, then you're not even sure what you're capable of.  That's why I really don't like dice rolls for character stats, just make it point-buy or averages.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 06, 2013, 01:05:37 pm »

I honestly just apply NPCs and go "If NPCs can do that junk so can the PCs"

For example, changing classes? Sure! NPCs do it all the time (How many NPCs are also level 1 commoners?)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 06, 2013, 01:34:41 pm »

I honestly just apply NPCs and go "If NPCs can do that junk so can the PCs"

For example, changing classes? Sure! NPCs do it all the time (How many NPCs are also level 1 commoners?)
To be fair, NPC classes are a special 'exception' case, because they're NPC and they don't need to behave like a character.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 06, 2013, 01:36:34 pm »

A lot of characters indicate previous careers or training that doesn't show on their stat sheet.

This is especially true of certain Clerics and Paladins I can think of that actually started off as fighters.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 06, 2013, 01:41:16 pm »

I won't allow changing classes simply because of how gamebreaking that can be.  Wanna be an early level barbarian and roflstomp the enemy with massive rage?  THEN become a 10th level wizard and roflstomp the enemy with massive spellpower?  No, pick one.  You can multiclass - that's the point of multiclassing - but being able to just 'swap classes' removes about 95% of the game's purpose.

You're not meant to adapt your character to new issues.  You're meant to adapt your tactics so that your existing character can deal with new problems.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 06, 2013, 01:51:29 pm »

Greatorder, the reason why your interaction was not really a good one is because it was a scene where the party meets. We did not have any base material to work with, and GIH kindly offered us some groundwork for 'how we met' in terms of having a kobold in our party, which means, that we were supposed to keep quite and listen to the dm's directions, and wait for her to finish typing the scenery and all. It was ALSO where we got the plot related quest from a young man called 'Fleet', and you just popped up, going 'HURR DURR DURR BAD MAN I SHOOT', that's the problem.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:57:41 pm by DoomOnion »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 89