Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 89

Author Topic: Pathfinder Non-Sequential - Girlinhat is your DM!  (Read 92036 times)

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) Girlinhat is your DM!
« Reply #840 on: March 04, 2013, 04:36:05 pm »

I am not a huge fan of extreme min-maxing like that, even if it is in a broader scale like that.
You level up, and you put points in skills available, that's the basic idea of it, and now we're trying to bring it to a whole new level of pre-compiling everything.
..Without accounting what's going to happen in campaign.

Not only it is time-consuming and tiresome, I don't think my lady-friend is capable of doing that yet.
In other words, you will kill me with 2 character worth of level 20 bucket load of skill points especially since I have multiple mid terms approaching.
Naryar, no.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 04, 2013, 04:38:29 pm »

Hey, you're a party now.  You can talk to each other in character about what you're good at.  That doesn't mean you have to listen to what anyone says.  But if you want IC to say "I'm going to do a lot of X, so if you want to focus elsewhere, you can" then that's a valid thing to say.

Just make sure that no one gets knocked out and suddenly you have no Diplomacy or Knowledge Planes when the elder demon appears.

(Psst, DM is going to knock you out.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 04, 2013, 05:37:53 pm »

As a Barbarian, I'm skilled at smashing and nothing else.

But at least I'm planning on going with Perception, Climb and Survival. We need a party scout. I'll also get Intimidation and that feat which allows me to use STR for Intimidation checks.

By the way, should I get a Profession? I don't know much about how they work and what I could get. Can I go with Mercenary as my Profession?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 04, 2013, 05:42:24 pm »

I am not a huge fan of extreme min-maxing like that, even if it is in a broader scale like that.
You level up, and you put points in skills available, that's the basic idea of it, and now we're trying to bring it to a whole new level of pre-compiling everything.
..Without accounting what's going to happen in campaign.

Not only it is time-consuming and tiresome, I don't think my lady-friend is capable of doing that yet.
In other words, you will kill me with 2 character worth of level 20 bucket load of skill points especially since I have multiple mid terms approaching.
Naryar, no.

Hardly minmaxing. Minmaxing is getting +12 bonus to Spellcraft at first level. Besides, IRL no good team leader gets a team of generalists.

Besides, I used that as an example.

If we all randomly put points anywhere without a balance between skill efficiency and roleplaying, we're gonna end badly.

You're the party diplomat and animal trainer, so Handle animal, Ride, Diplomacy, Knowledge (nobility) and Knowledge (local) seem like good choices as main skills.

For me I take Sense Motive (best potential for it of the party), Heal(same, but at low levels) and Spellcraft (necessary), skills which all come naturally for a cleric, I also will take Survival and Perception (high wisdom), Survival because no one else has it expect artael who has lame wisdom, and I have the best potential for it. I also need Knowledge (religion) because cleric, Knowledge (history) because it's part of my character, Knowledge arcana and planes for the planar ally and summon spells. Of course, amarath will certainly trump me on these, but I need some.

cthulhu... no idea really

art... possibly Perception, Intimidate, Ride, and other physical skills.

amaranth... Knowledge arcana, Spellcraft and Bluff, along with plenty of other ones like craft and appraisal considering her hilariously large amount of skill points per level. But she has a small class skill list. Maybe she should get 1/2 levels of rogue and get disable device (plus Hide, sneak attack damage, evasion...)

By the way, should I get a Profession? I don't know much about how they work and what I could get. Can I go with Mercenary as my Profession?

Doesn't exist. You don't even have it as a class skill. Profession(soldier) however exists, which I do have.

and profession is mostly some way to make gp.  http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/profession

I took it for roleplay purposes, but I also use it as a pseudo-Knowledge check regrouping military stuff, and it also figures Lek's tactical knowledge. No, I don't get gp from it because i am not in a standing army.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 05:53:44 pm by Naryar »

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 04, 2013, 05:51:32 pm »

I have +3 charisma, and I am getting showered with skill points. I am pretty sure I can out do any of you guys in terms of charisma skills.
Amarath gets a huge load of skill points as well, and due to the innate nature of her +5 intelligence, she can out do all of you in knowledge skills even when they are untrained.

I know where I am going to put skill points, but thanks.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 04, 2013, 06:01:57 pm »

I took it for roleplay purposes, but I also use it as a pseudo-Knowledge check regrouping military stuff, and it also figures Lek's tactical knowledge. No, I don't get gp from it because i am not in a standing army.
If you spend a week in town, or even a day, you can work as town watch.  Roll profession, earn money.  The dice roll is in sp for week, cp for daily work.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 04, 2013, 06:17:13 pm »

If you spend a week in town, or even a day, you can work as town watch.  Roll profession, earn money.  The dice roll is in sp for week, cp for daily work.
Why do that when I can win 100-200 gp or more by going in a dungeon and looting shit ?

apart from knowing the walls of the town, I fail to see the point. Not to mention that taking account of cp is annoying.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:20:55 pm by Naryar »

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 04, 2013, 06:19:46 pm »

We are?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 04, 2013, 06:21:34 pm »

The main benefit of weekly checks, are when people are doing stuff.  If anyone is crafting armor, weapons, or enchanting items, or training their replacement steed, then you can be earning spare cash instead of loafing around the bar.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 04, 2013, 06:29:51 pm »

We are?

If we find magic weapons, we can get easily thousands of gp if we sell only 1 or 2.

The main benefit of weekly checks, are when people are doing stuff.  If anyone is crafting armor, weapons, or enchanting items, or training their replacement steed, then you can be earning spare cash instead of loafing around the bar.

I dunno, not even 1gp per week for work seems pointless. Especially at the point where we will be enchanting 5000 gp weapons. Besides lek will probably be an enchanter as well.

Besides, Lek would probably get bored easily just walking on the walls and taking watch. Hell, formuling defensive tactics or training recruits would be better...

although there would be benefits to scouting and maybe Perception, as well as knowing the road. Heh. Maybe for a while, but it's not for the money.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 04, 2013, 06:33:15 pm »

I sense extreme lack of roleplay in our current party other than running to taverns and getting drunk as fuck.
I wonder why...  ::)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 04, 2013, 06:40:54 pm »

You can handle profession however you want.  Training the troops in greatsword use is a legitimate high-skill day job.  It's very unspecific on exactly what you do.

And no, it's not much money.  But when you've got three weeks to wait on a crafting check to finish, it's better than sitting on your ass.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 04, 2013, 06:47:57 pm »

I sense extreme lack of roleplay in our current party other than running to taverns and getting drunk as fuck.
I wonder why...  ::)

We didn't get drunk as fuck, with the exception of Artie.

It is true there isn't a lot of discussion between characters, or any real interaction beyond some sense of camaraderie, us trying to survive and your character trying to get into the elf's robes.

You can handle profession however you want.  Training the troops in greatsword use is a legitimate high-skill day job.  It's very unspecific on exactly what you do.

Considering how badly I roll my attacks i should maybe avoid this for now  :P

However, combat drill, teaching equipment maintenance, teaching basic tactics, that I can do.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 04, 2013, 06:56:39 pm »

..Naryar, I'll just put in bluntly, but we should really stop doing 'OH A VILLAGE? WE CHARGE THROUGH THE DOOR, WE GO TO THE TAVERN AND DRINK 3 PINTS OF DWARVEN STOUT AND GO TO BED AND LEAVE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE GOING TO THE NEXT DUNGEON FOR LOOTS' even before the DM can finish typing the scenery.. Half the time, the door to the town is shut or an event is taking place xD

Really.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 04, 2013, 07:01:41 pm »

In fact, Naryar needs to stop in general.  Every single description I've made, he's said something first.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 89