Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 89

Author Topic: Pathfinder Non-Sequential - Girlinhat is your DM!  (Read 92073 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) Girlinhat is your DM!
« Reply #795 on: February 27, 2013, 11:08:27 pm »

I wish it including a bit more of an explanation for how Infuriated works.

All it says is that it must "While infuriated, the target must spend its turn moving closer to the cavalier, making move, run, or charge actions only (challenged creature’s choice)."

Concievably that means 1 on 1 at level 20, so long as it strikes every turn at point blank (and has point blank shot) that they basically are unbeatable.

Then again a "Mind effecting" attack that lacks a save or even context will have that issue. I guess it was intentionally left open.

--

Nevermind I see. The level 20 means it applies the possibility of it working on all level criticals done with your firearm. Not that it reinflicts infuriating blows everytime. As that would be much too powerful.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:24:16 pm by Neonivek »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: February 27, 2013, 11:39:52 pm »

Things like that essentially mean "GM's choice" as far as monster behavior goes, which is to say "Same as always, except with suggestions."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: February 27, 2013, 11:48:38 pm »

Honestly with the way the move works my interpretation of how Infuriating Aim works (a move that inflicts infuriated if it criticals, is a mind affecting move that doesn't call for a save) is that it actually hits the opponent in the brain, causing temporary brain damage.

An extremely impressive shot wouldn't you say?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:03:33 am by Neonivek »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 28, 2013, 07:10:13 pm »

Looks pretty gamebreaking if you combine it with high natural speed or another class that gives a mount.

anyways, still Sat 4pm ? Same hour ?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 28, 2013, 07:40:50 pm »

I'll be hopping on at about noon, and listening for message beeps.  So when everyone hops in, we'll begin.

Speaking of, who's in?  Laetra, Naryar, DoomOnion, and Cthulhu, along with DoomOnion's Ladyfriend...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: February 28, 2013, 08:08:48 pm »

I am in, of course.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: February 28, 2013, 09:47:30 pm »

I'm always in.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: February 28, 2013, 10:03:00 pm »

Gr...eat order, didn't you drop out?
Also: I'm in.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 01, 2013, 05:37:16 am »

I'll be hopping on at about noon, and listening for message beeps.  So when everyone hops in, we'll begin.

Speaking of, who's in?  Laetra, Naryar, DoomOnion, and Cthulhu, along with DoomOnion's Ladyfriend...
Me.

You did say you would drop out...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 01, 2013, 09:42:42 am »

I'm thinking about allowing Piecemeal Armor as allowed rules:
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/variants/piecemealArmor.html

The d20pfsrd has the same rules, but includes a lot of other alternative rules as well.  The paizo site just has piecemeal on the one page.

The effective power of piecemeal is that you can buy individual pieces, and mix and match.  The main bonus for most, would be splitting up the cost, being able to buy one armor piece at a time and construct a suit as funds become available.  Another bonus is choosing what you want, for instance an arcane caster could pick up leg and chest armor, but discard the arm because the arm messes up spellcasting the most.

The total armor effect doesn't change, because arms, legs, and chest+head are set-aside positions.  Items like "Boots of Elvenkind" that give +5 acrobatics, those aren't specifically "leg" slot, they're "foot" slot.  So all the enchant items and all the armor values are still the same.  Adding magic to items can be tricky, but easy enough once you figure things out.

Also thinking about adding Called Shots, such as aiming for the leg specifically to reduce the target's walking speed, but being a more accurate shot it suffers a penalty to hit.

The benefit to both of these is obvious, but at the same time, the enemies are going to have the same abilities, so there would be trickier fights and more danger.  Enemies would show up with specialized armor sets and start making arm shots.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 01, 2013, 09:52:06 am »

Since artael and lek only has a breastplate... this is going to be messy.

Wait, or do they get leather / chain arm+leg pieces for compensation?
..Do I get a full half-plate armor for compensation as well?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:55:08 am by DoomOnion »

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: March 01, 2013, 09:57:00 am »

Sorry for the double post, but will there be any Attack Roll penalties for making a called shot as well?

Edit: Herp. I should learn to read.

How much of a penalty are we talking about?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:59:51 am by DoomOnion »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: March 01, 2013, 10:07:29 am »

Since this rule is being introduced new, you have what you have.  Breastplates are counted as Full Plate Body with no arms or legs, and get armor rating tied to having just one item - they could add plate arms and legs and upgrade into full plate, or add in some chain and become half-plate.

Since Gillen is wearing Half Plate, he's wearing Plate Arm and Plate Body, along with Chain Leg.  So he could upgrade to Full Plate just by exchanging the legs.

In the case of Bardings, then "arm" is considered the skirts that cover the front legs, and "leg" are the skirts covering the rear legs, with the skirts extending up far enough to cover parts of the flanks and whatnot.

Called Shots on Piecemeal armor would work the same.  If you're wearing plate arms and no legs, and get a called shot to the leg but it misses, then it's assumed you got in the way of the blow and put your shoulder into the blade, deflecting it off the heavy armor before the swing went low enough to hit legs.

NINJA: Called Shot penalties vary by difficulty - if you've played DF Adventure Mode then you understand.  Hitting an arm is -2 attack, hitting an ear is -10.  Ranged and Reach attacks get -2 on top, and Ranged attacks get double range increment penalty and an additional -2 for being from a distance.  So striking someone's arm with a sword is -2, striking their arm with a lance is -4, striking their arm with a longbow at 50 foot is -6, and striking their arm with a longbow from 150 feet would be -10.  I think.  Effects like True Strike are only used to make traditional "overall body shots" - but the DM can decide if these 'automatic hit' abilities are able to make called shots or not.  Depends if we want people taking arrows to the eye when an archer has True Strike.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: March 01, 2013, 10:16:01 am »

Is this a house rule? or an official rule from a source book?
i personally find it very interesting, but I do see a major problem...
AC for leg armor .. practically doesn't exist, and DnD does not seperate armor bonus and dodge bonus, they are just pilled up together
and make a counter roll to the attack roll to determine if it's a hit or not.
So if you increase the hit penalties for leg shots, it wouldn't be much of a change.
If you don't, everyone will start spamming leg shots. Which is equally horrendous.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: March 01, 2013, 10:25:15 am »

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/variant-rules

As I said, if you're making a called shot at a low-armor spot, then it's still against your whole AC, not just your leg's AC.  If it were based on single-part AC, then yeah legs would be everything, but it's based on your whole body because it's all about gameplay, not realism.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 89