Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 89

Author Topic: Pathfinder Non-Sequential - Girlinhat is your DM!  (Read 92071 times)

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) Girlinhat is your DM!
« Reply #780 on: February 27, 2013, 08:00:39 pm »

No, you shouldn't.

The stuff is that I need a full attack to do this much damage, you you can just move, make one attack and move even more.

You are by far the most mobile of our party, likely will have the best armor class and do very respectable damage. Less options than me ? Sure. But I need to spend two or three rounds buffing if I want to compete with you guys in melee.

Get something like a composite longbow and a flying mount and you'll be like Genghis Khan on a flying horse, just saying.

Ha, I remeber the first thing I said to gih over steam chat when designing my character.
'No, I don't want to be a genghis khan, I want a saddle, and no, I am not going to do mounted archery'

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 27, 2013, 08:04:34 pm »

No, you shouldn't.

The stuff is that I need a full attack to do this much damage, you you can just move, make one attack and move even more.

You are by far the most mobile of our party, likely will have the best armor class and do very respectable damage. Less options than me ? Sure. But I need to spend two or three rounds buffing if I want to compete with you guys in melee.

Get something like a composite longbow and a flying mount and you'll be like Genghis Khan on a flying horse, just saying.

Ha, I remeber the first thing I said to gih over steam chat when designing my character.
'No, I don't want to be a genghis khan, I want a saddle, and no, I am not going to do mounted archery'

When I think of it... it's pretty pointless if you have a flying mount and have a charge-optimized character to do mounted archery, considering you can just charge in their faces through the air and call up the massive damage rule in 1 hit.

archer bait ? What's that ? Casters will just buff your ac to ridiculous levels before you take flight.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:08:07 pm by Naryar »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 27, 2013, 08:06:06 pm »

I don't know about you guys but I don't care about what's the best class and what's the best way to play it. I didn't take Barbarian because I thought I could powergame the shit out of it. I took that class because it fit well with the background and character I had in my mind. I took it because I thought it could be fun and the last session showed me that I made the right decision.

IMHO, powergaming in DnD ruins the fun. I might even play a half-orc wizard just because it provides endless RP possibilities and funny moments. Just do what you like, man.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 27, 2013, 08:09:33 pm »

If you guys (specifically DoomOnion) keep raging, I'm gonna lock the thread and have Rocks Fall and you'll all be equally dead.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 27, 2013, 08:13:02 pm »

Enjoying the flavour of the class and how it is played is much more important than whether you are the most effective or not, it isn't like D&D is a competitive sport so playing what is fun for you should always come first.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: February 27, 2013, 08:14:26 pm »

Yeah, you guys are right. I just raged because some guy suddenly showed up out of nowhere and took a piss on my ego and my character.
Sorry about that.
Ran out of daily rage pool so can't rage anymore. Have to wait till tomorrow for it to regenerate.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 27, 2013, 08:15:43 pm »

Unlike many other games, DnD lacks the 'epic end game amazing' to a large degree.  I mean sure, it's fun to kill dragons, but what you really want is the experience.  It's a roleplay game to the highest degree, play your roll and love it.  So far the only characters I've built for myself are underpowered and extremely situational, and I can't wait to explore them further.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 27, 2013, 08:31:45 pm »

For the record, I too often wonder exactly what Neonivek is doing.  Sometimes it seems like he just types to hear his keyboard clicking.

But seriously, D&D shouldn't be about perfectly optimizing your character.  You should definitely at least consider optimization (I did for my guy), because it's very much possible to have a completely useless lump of a character and end up getting people killed, especially at higher levels when the game starts taking the kid gloves off, monster-wise.

Play what you want, though.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 27, 2013, 08:34:15 pm »

I will say that often I say things and then am completely surprised by someone elses response. So it is very likely that even I don't know what I am doing.

Though because I never say anything with the intent to put people down my first instinct is always to rephrase, clarify, or backup. Afterall if I am not saying anything insulting then clearly the problem is the person who is hearing me doesn't understand what I am saying or I didn't explain it right (in my own head that is).

Then if someone responds to me dirrectly I must respond back, if I am referenced I must respond, if they are refering to something I said I must respond, if it calls for an oppinion I must put in my two cents.

If you ever wondered why my posts tend to end up that way.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:44:27 pm by Neonivek »

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: February 27, 2013, 08:48:05 pm »

I'm sorry, Neo, it's just that i have this feeling that depending on the course of the campaign, I may go without my mount for several levels at worst case scenario, and I've been spending lots of time trying to overcome the cavalier's penalty, and I can't really seem to find a solution for that. I end up being more or less a poor man's fighter without a mount, and it's not like my abilities are not powerful enough, it's more like all my active abilities have a condition that I have to be mounted to use them, so I.. barely do anything, on foot, that is.

and you nailed it :/ So I think I lost it there.
Between the bloodthirsty cries of the barbarian and the cleric, and the pressure that I am the party's face, and the fear that I may end up being not good enough, leading to the deaths of many party members... It's kinda sorta stressful.

Polearm master might resolve that issue, not in a way to make my character more powerful, but in a way to make my turns more interesting than 'I move, and since I can't do anything else, I attack the goblin with my longsword'.

Edit: Also, I'm not going to roll an archer for your session. i'm scrapping that character, I'm rolling another cavalier there, but instead of a horseman, a luring cavalier / musketeer with knight errant order. In other words, A FUCKING PIRATE! Since my version of the lore covers the pirates and gunpowder issues, I assume it's viable, if not, I'll just.. think of something else.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:57:08 pm by DoomOnion »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 27, 2013, 09:01:27 pm »

I have no issues there, so long as you arn't just doing it to spite me :P. Just remember to bring a lot of rope.

I'll have no mercy if you don't.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:03:02 pm by Neonivek »

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: February 27, 2013, 09:04:16 pm »

Luring cavalier / musketeer doesn't get a mount, we just... get a kick ass unique firearm and we get to insult and lure our enemies.
Profession sailer, intimidate, bluff, and dex/cha based build would be... interesting.

Hell, my character backstory can still be directly used for this new character, only.. more interesting.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: February 27, 2013, 09:09:08 pm »

Ohh then no issue then.

I still suggest some rope.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: February 27, 2013, 09:40:30 pm »

What's the effective difference between a Musketeer and Gunslinger, then?

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: February 27, 2013, 09:50:31 pm »

You don't get grits, which can still be overcome with amateur gunslinger feat.
They both utilize firearms, but that's about it in terms of similarities, because the abilities are distinitively different.

You still maintain challenge ability, along with order, and uh, musketeer archtype is basically just one free firearm with special insignia, along with the ability to rapid reload it at level 4.
But what makes it amazing is the luring cavalier archtype, you go in and pull the enemies out, or distract them, or confuse them
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:03:04 pm by DoomOnion »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 89