Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 89

Author Topic: Pathfinder Non-Sequential - Girlinhat is your DM!  (Read 91935 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) Girlinhat is your DM!
« Reply #330 on: February 14, 2013, 06:42:42 pm »

Also? Holy walls of text Batman you coulda at least spoilered that stuff.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 14, 2013, 07:34:55 pm »

Nah. Even if we read their bios now, it's out of the universe. We can't skip PC communication and assume your PC instantly know each one's other backstories just because you read it.

Besides, not everyone remembers about bios.

If our characters want to know others, they'll have to ask, of course.

I'll post mine here as well.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Naryar used wall of text ! It's super effective ! Darvi flinched !

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:39:04 pm by Naryar »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 15, 2013, 01:26:42 am »

I'm not exactly a veteran player, but if there's a preference for (near-)total noobs, I'd probably be out.
Ah well, I hadn't written a proper backstory yet anyhow.

But, as of yesterday, I own the rulebook. Yes, actually own it- I dislike reading from PDFs, and the book is just so. Bloody. Beautiful, so I shelled out $70 or so and bought it, along with some dice. (I'm going to be playing PF IRL as well.)

So, perhaps, perhaps, I could DM a second game. I have never gamemastered an RPG before, so I'm unsure how well I would do... My experience GMing RTDs tells me I easily get bogged down in silly background details and end up losing motivation. My track record of three or four abandoned RTDs can attest to that. (The only one that lasted for any decent amount of turns was an anarchic, NSFW minimalist mess that plumbed depths of depravity, became progressively more in-depth, traversed bizarre realms of violence, bodily functions, unexpected philosophy and real-world parallels, before finally being deleted. :P)

I guess what that suggests is that, for me at least, over-planning as a GM is a bad thing. The play-by-post format, which has me sitting there for hours, days and weeks trying to figure out a realistic price per foot of string or some such nonsense, ends badly with me updating less and less frequently.
So maybe, a live game, where I am forced to react and respond quickly to players' actions, would work better for me. :) Also having set rules for all sorts of distractions such as prices etc would certainly help.

If anyone wants me to, I would be happy to have a shot at Dungeon Mastering.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 15, 2013, 03:58:05 am »

I say go ahead, so that the people who are interested but haven't gotten a chance to be in this one still get to play.

Bonus points for doing it at a time that isn't hurr durr for GMT.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 15, 2013, 06:47:10 am »

Bonus points for doing it at a time that isn't hurr durr for GMT.
Other than that it's on Saturday that's actually a fairly standard timeslot.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 15, 2013, 09:26:08 am »

10pm isn't hurr durr for GMT.  It's a little late, but it's saturday.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 15, 2013, 09:27:39 am »

People have to work on Sundays sometimes. Or they have REASONS for not being able to be on at 10pm.

EDIT: Also, I'd just like to say that I didn't intend to imply that GiH was being stupid or anything. I meant in reference to the time being bad, considering an hour-or-two-long session kind of sucks because including setup time and people being late, that can leave very little time for doing much of anything. And lots of people need to go to work and stuff on sundays, or have parents(my case) who enforce things like getting off computer at "sensible" times.

Personally I just find timezones irritating because they're just bleeeeh and I need to stop digging now.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:33:06 am by Baneling »
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 15, 2013, 09:56:32 am »

Hey, I tried.  But you know how it goes.  You put 2 people in the same room and you can't please everyone!

Either way, I think I've decided on the roster:
1: Naryar - Dwarven Cleric of Battle, equipped with a greatsword and armored coat (a trench coat with metal in the lining).
Because clerics are always useful, the god-worship can always lead to some interesting situations, and he's a cleric with a greatsword.

2: da dwarf lord - Half-Elf Druid of The Blade, equipped with a falcon, a scimitar, and some creepy-ass wood magic.
Because he's a druid.  Also because I liked much of his design and I want to see how a druid handles things.

3: Laerta - Half-Elf Barbarian of Terror and Mayhem, equipped with 20 str so it doesn't matter what weapon.
Because I'm scared of his character in case I say no, and with 20 str there's a lot of flaws in things like wisdom and int and cha, and I want to see how those play against different situations.  Plus an interesting appearance.  Half-Elf Brute.

4: greatorder - Halfling Ranger, sporting a tiny little longbow and some sort of 12 stealth.
For some amount of decent range and stealth, and for being able to give a noob some experience.

5: DoomOnion - Human (I think) Cavalier, wielding a lance and horse to incredible extent.
Because I like cavaliers.  Also for being a noob and having decent charisma.  Cavaliers are also upstanding "leaders" and may provide someone for the various NPC to look to as the organizer of the party (only to realize the barbarian is the most sane?).

6: Cthulhu - Kobold Summoner, with a crossbow and some adorable little kobold boots!
Kobold Kobold Kobold Kobold Kobold.

Now, that's 6.  Others will be considered if one drops out, dies, or we find ourselves wanting an extra member, at the party's decision.  I'm going to send a multi-person PM to the group to confirm time slots, backstories, double-check stats, etc.

A surprising number of half-elf characters submitted...  I'm appalled that such a community would even consider the dirty treehuggers, much less deal with the idea of them breeding and what other nonsense...

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 15, 2013, 10:08:37 am »

Well I'm sad that I didn't get chosen but would it be all right if I could sit in on the sessions anyway and just watch
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #339 on: February 15, 2013, 10:15:32 am »

What? A party with two half elves? You dirty elf lover!
And no gnomes? You must be gnomist! Racist scum!

All kidding aside, it looks like an interesting party. One arcane caster (summoner), two divine (cleric, druid), and three fighting types (ranger, barbarian, cavalier). Can any of them detect/disable traps?
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 15, 2013, 10:18:44 am »

I vaguely remember barbarians being able to detect traps.
If not, we can always throw dead goblin corpses into rooms to see if they are trapped or not.

Edit: Jokes aside, the roster looks fantastic. I can already see interesting character interactions here and there.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 15, 2013, 10:42:45 am »

Yay! I'm in.

What? A party with two half elves? You dirty elf lover!
"DO NOT CALL ME AN ELF LOVER!"

Just wait until you see my character's ironic racism. Oh, and Barbarian gets Trap Sense at 3rd level and it gets improved every 3 levels after that. It doesn't let me detect traps, it just makes me more likely to dodge them... Maybe I shouldn't have said this.

I'm not going to be the guy who runs around suspicious corridors to "check" for traps!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 15, 2013, 10:47:13 am »

The cleric and druid are both battle types as well.  The dwarven cleric has brought a greatsword, javelins, dagger in a wirst-sheath, and wears an armored coat.  The summoner is the only one who isn't directly battle-capable, and he's got a crossbow anyways.

Despite having a party of half spellcasters, these are 5/6 melee oriented.  Things are going to be ridiculous.

I'll also be sure and throw in some lethal traps, just to be sure.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 15, 2013, 10:58:04 am »

damn, the kobold is useful. We won't be able to kill him at the first opportunity for laughs.

also my character tends to judge on battle worth instead of race, but he's not overtly friendly with elves and kobolds. We'll see how it works.

also if no one can detect traps enough we're in trouble.

Still not sure how to fill my spell list, even if limited.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 15, 2013, 11:06:42 am »

Since I think all our spellcasters are noobs, I'm debating allowing them to exchange spells at a gp cost...

I'm also thinking about adding some homebrew books, purchasable at any big city, they give skill points while carried and used.  Like, Tome of Traps would give +1 to handling trap checks for any character at 4 or less skill (ie, it can't boost you higher than skill level 5), and the Adventurer's Guide to Not Getting Eaten which would do a similar thing for Handle Animal and Knowledge (Nature) when trying to determine a creature's stats and such.  Probably 100gp for a basic version, perhaps 500-1,000 for an advanced version to handle higher levels, and rare versions only given as loot.  Because let's face it, most of this party is noob, and it's not outrageous to consider that previous adventurers have written down their findings about "how to avoid getting trampled by a bison" and whatnot.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 89