Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 89

Author Topic: Pathfinder Non-Sequential - Girlinhat is your DM!  (Read 91942 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) Girlinhat is your DM!
« Reply #315 on: February 14, 2013, 03:25:03 pm »

Depends if the light has a camera installed  :P

I made a funny little gnome sorcerer. Should be fun to roleplay if I end up being one of the players. What do you think of the appearance I made for him? Sound ridiculous enough for an eccentric gnome?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And, of course, he thinks he looks awesome - and everyone else are just styleless oafs.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 14, 2013, 03:28:49 pm »

Laetra's character is a half-elf with a disdain for elves and magic (more or less)
Yeah I have one of those too.

Our wizard in that campaign was a grey elf.

And, of course, he thinks he looks awesome - and everyone else are just styleless oafs.
I and my hat take offense to that.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 14, 2013, 03:39:15 pm »

Well lets say your character drives a car

Now he comes to an empty road he knows is completely depopulated with a red light.

Does he cross the road in the car before the light turns green?

He first checks if the road is really empty, then crosses the road immediately after.

Because he is a warrior, and he finds this rule meaningless red tape without anyone else to establish a proper order of passage.

Hell, even a lawful neutral can and will break a rule if his own moral code disagrees with it. alignment isn't 9 very strict cases with 9 stereotyped behaviors, it's more like 2 different scales.

Also, get explosive runes for funtimes. Get a book, put the runes on a random page, return it to the library for maximum evil!

My character would consider this both evil and cowardly, so nope. Gorum also is very much opposed at the killing of noncombatants. Besides, can't cast ER at level 1.

Starting a nonlethal fist fight for fun (or because someone offended him) in the same library, however ? It's totally OK !

I may however introduce several Dwarf Fortress hijinks in the roleplay of my character.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:57:02 pm by Naryar »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 14, 2013, 03:54:16 pm »

GirlInHat, if you would like people to have more background, and thus lift your own load a little bit by having some elements be more player focused, I'd recommend doing a few things. I've got a formalized method for determining this, but I feel like you wouldn't be interested in that. However, the basics will serve you will.

Insure each character has the following:
A flaw. Whether a personal tragedy, a terrible fear, a criminal reputation, or a powerful enemy, give your character either a weakness or something that would make people NOT want to be around them or bring them along. Overcoming flaws can be a huge boon to developing an engrossing campaign, and it sets up a lot of easy potential conflict. Can't figure out what to do with a session? Capitalize on a players weakness, and build out from there, making it a bit more personal. Note: A flaw should be serious enough that it could get the character killed or otherwise removed from the party, but not so serious that it becomes a persistent annoyance or appears insurmountable.

A purpose. This is what your characters wants, is destined to accomplish, or is seeking to avoid. It's their motivation. Before each session, I'd reccomend expanding this a bit by asking each your players (in private) - "How do you plan to pursue your purpose for this session?", which will give you lots of opportunities and ideas on how to make things personal. This doesn't even have to be desired so much as an end state the PLAYER wants their character to wind up in, in which case the question is "How will events push you towards this point?" It doesn't have to stay the same for the whole game either, so keeping up on this will help YOU keep track of how individual characters are changing over time.

With this two pieces in hand, it also gets a lot easier to trim numbers and try to come up with players that have roles and flaws that synergize well to create the sort of party arc you want to really support your campaign.

If you examine an interesting an effective adventuring party, everyone will have those two things. They are driving forces, and probably way more important than alignment. Look at something like Order of the Stick: Every character clearly has these, and that forms the core of what the story is about. Sure, it's technically about the gate, but any good game, like any good story, is really about how the character's interact with the plot, not about the plot itself.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:58:29 pm by GlyphGryph »

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 14, 2013, 04:05:10 pm »

I really like the sound of Glyphgryph's idea actually so I better get started writing my backstory right away
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 14, 2013, 04:17:50 pm »

Here's the ones for the OotS

Durkon Thundershield:
Flaw- Exiled from homeland.
Purpose- To earn the right to return home.

Elan
Flaw- Evil Twin.
Purpose- Wants to be the hero.

Haley Starshine
Flaw- Keeps more stuff secret than she wants to or should. Difficulty being truthful.
Purpose- Gather enough money to free her father from prison.

Vaarsuvius
Flaw(s)- Hubris/Extremely Single-minded
Purpose- Acquire "Ultimate Arcane Power"

Belkar
Flaw- Impulsive and dangerous loose cannon
Purpose- Escape from justice so he can keep killing stuff.

Roy Greenhilt
Flaw- His sense of responsibility makes things consistently more difficult for himself and the party. See: Belkar.
Purpose- Fulfill his Blood Oath

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 14, 2013, 04:21:59 pm »

Flaw: Blood Knight
Purpose : Blood Knight

nah who am I kidding, it's a tiny bit limited like character bio

Flaw:
-Love of fighting. Not fighting for a while gets on his nerves, while fighting does makes him friendlier and more easygoing. (mayhap I should get  minor Charisma modifiers to represent this ?).
-Being defeated more than once also tends to get on his nerves very easily. (one defeat permits you to learn from the opponent and get him to underestimate you, more are just bad for morale)

Purpose:
-To wage war, to clash against his enemies, to fight for the hell of it, and to become stronger and more skilled.
-He does also enjoy learning history (mostly the bloodier parts) and tactics, so the acquisition of similar knowledge is also good.

(I see tactics as part of the Profession (soldier) skill)

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 14, 2013, 04:24:48 pm »

*facepalm*

I really wish I got admitted into the game in time. I really do. Too bad I wasn't.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 14, 2013, 04:50:34 pm »

*facepalm*

I really wish I got admitted into the game in time. I really do. Too bad I wasn't.
Who said you weren't?

Also, important update!

Planned play time is 4pm CST (GMT -6:00) on Saturday.  If you are unable to attend, please make a note of it!  If you are able to attend normally, but miss a session, you forfeit all loot and only gain 1/4 to 1/2 exp (so you don't fall behind levels too badly) and I reserve the right to make up a totally embarrassing reason for your character being absent, up to and including explosive diarrhea and needing to take time off adventuring to see the local healer about incontinence problems.

Due to the time delays in large parties, I believe I'll be taking 5-6 players for my game.  I'm going to attempt to run 1 spellcaster, 1 charismatic, and the rest are wildcards, but preferably getting a healer and crafter in there somewhere.  Priority will be given to people with interesting backstories and/or motivations, and people who I just think would interact amusingly.  Those without a backstory are heavily handicapped - you should at least be able to make a flaw and goal!

Extra players can work to organize their own campaign, which I'd personally enjoy taking part in, because being a DM is fun (I assume) but I want to play as well.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 14, 2013, 05:09:38 pm »

Depending on the species, common but maybe in different terms.  Goblins take slaves of anyone they can overpower.  Humans probably take kobold and goblin slaves, but treat them more like work animals, not really considering them smart enough to be called 'people' so it's not 'really' slavery.  Or the classic model of 'he's not a slave, he's a servant who lives here.'

But classic Egyptian or Southern Plantation open slavery?  Not so much.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 14, 2013, 05:14:04 pm »

Not particularly.  Between magic and feudal law (trumping personal rights) there's no a lot of room for illegal activities.  And any slaves bought couldn't be displayed openly.  But sure, the occasional few end up working a farmer's field, explained as "oh he came on the last ship.  He'll be staying at the farm."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 14, 2013, 05:42:49 pm »

Flaw:  He's never fully gotten over his old position as (fake) high priest of a (fake) dragon god.  Even though it was a con, he's still used to being important and resents leadership.

Goal:  get back what he lost (that is, his position in kobold society.)  He's adventuring to improve his powers and his capital to eventually take over the kobolds of the area
Shoes...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 14, 2013, 05:44:46 pm »

I think my traits and Bio cover that already.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 14, 2013, 06:21:12 pm »

Edit: Leatra has a point
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 06:33:12 pm by Kansa »
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 14, 2013, 06:30:38 pm »

Why do we post our backgrounds here? One of the best things about PC communication in-game is learning about each other's past.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 89