Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 89

Author Topic: Pathfinder Non-Sequential - Girlinhat is your DM!  (Read 91808 times)

da dwarf lord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) Girlinhat is your DM!
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2013, 10:44:46 pm »

I've played alot of DnD 3.5e, how different is it? Doesn't seem too different from the bits I've looked at on the SRD but surely some of the details are?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2013, 10:45:56 pm »

It's almost identical.  In fact the majority of it is identical.  Like, down to the letter, copy-pasted from 3.5.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2013, 11:07:02 pm »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2013, 11:15:13 pm »

Some differences I've noticed:

Fewer skills.  They really pared it down to the essentials.  Also, most classes get fewer skill points per level, but class skills get a free +3 bonus, and cross class skills no longer require double expenditure.

Favored classes are reworked, there's no more complicated shit for dealing with multiclass characters, instead you pick a favored class at character creation and each level in that class gets you your choice of +1hp or +1 skill point, in addition to a racial bonus which varies.

Mostly, a lot of the overcomplicated shit has been removed.  I'm not sure, but I believe they took a little more care in creating supplements and avoiding open-ended rules, like Fleshweaver or whatever the fuck it was that basically let you give your character anything if you managed to get it used on yourself.
Shoes...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2013, 11:49:32 pm »

The core classes also got revamped, giving every non-casting class some feature every level. And the casters also got some new goodies each.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2013, 03:54:42 am »

The core classes also got revamped, giving every non-casting class some feature every level. And the casters also got some new goodies each.

Not to mention infinite cast cantrips. Meaning that a mage doesn't have to sit out battles (mostly) anymore.

MIND YOU... Fighters are still the dullest class in combat and Pathfinder didn't do anything to fix that

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2013, 04:10:46 am »

MIND YOU... Fighters are still the dullest class in combat...

Clearly you have not discovered the art of finding as many different ways to say "I swing my axe at the kobold" as you possibly can. Somewhere out there.. somewhere in the vast, deep void of space, there is an untapped well of unique and interesting ways to verbalize auto-attacking the closest enemy.

The fighter retains hope yet!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2013, 04:26:02 am »

Ohh you mean?

"I don cleave my axe, arcing through the air and sundering it in twain. The roar I shout brimming with power only matched by the ferocity at which I swath through my foe"

or

"With stunning grace my arms zip carrying along my magic axe to be planted firmly in my opponents lobe"

or

"I swing my axe"

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2013, 04:34:52 am »

Neonivek, your cynicism is showing. Fighters are meant to be boring! Not to mention they can be extremely useful in fights where the enemies frequently use fear effects and that are in no way made that way just to make the fighter feel good about himself and if the paladin didn't have a level 3 class feature that is better at doing that.

There's also "I swing my broadsword so recklessly so I don't hit as much but also do more damage while running up to the enemy!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2013, 04:40:06 am »

Fighters are meant to be boring!

No... frankly they are not. They are so extremely not meant to be boring that they constantly release books with the soul intent of proving they cannot be...

And they arn't wrong. In a game where you deal exclusively with humanoids the fighter can in fact step up to be a very interesting and fun class as he suddenly has a lot of options. It is just that the game negates these tactics as soon as you step outside the medium humanoid zone.

Neonivek, your cynicism is showing

They fixed the biggest problem with the spell casting classes: Being unable to do anything because they have to save their spells for life and death situations.

They didn't fix the largest problem with the fighters: Attack, attack, attack

It is a common complaint and it isn't something that only I notice that only I complain about or that only people who are outliers notice.

If you have a problem with this observation however then I dirrect you to rule zero.

There's also "I swing my broadsword so recklessly so I don't hit as much but also do more damage while running up to the enemy!"

At low levels that is certainly a thing (Power attack) however that boils away after awhile. When you find out that power attacks pay off more. To the extent that some dungeons and dragons videogames don't even let you unselect power attack.

Yet still that is small potatoes.

Don't forget that fighters can also: Trip, Charge, Push, Bullrush, Disarm, Grapple, Pin, and sunder. As well as getting Whirlwind attack and Spring attack. (Complete warrior's extra feats include "attack with a sunder effect")
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:43:24 am by Neonivek »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2013, 04:41:54 am »

Not only is your cynicism showing, your snark-tector is defect too. You might want to get a check-up, dude.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2013, 04:44:09 am »

Not only is your cynicism showing, your snark-tector is defect too. You might want to get a check-up, dude.

My sarcasm detector blew up a long time ago... I guess it did some damage to the snark-tector too

Sorry  :-[

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2013, 04:58:16 am »

Wait, did you just say Fighters were boring? ??? In Pathfinder?
I can't speak for the other versions of Dnd as Pathfinder is the only one I've played for a decent amount of time, but I would hardly call fighters 'boring'. Ahh, I remember my first fighter, as I learnt the game and gradually figured out what I was doing. I remember discovering the joys of Great Cleave and becoming the most competent member of the party. I remember my list of feats, where I planned out my character's advancement for the next few levels to make him a nigh-unstoppable killing machine... And then I remember dying pitifully to a sphere of annihilation. Well.

But still, personally I think a fighter is the most fun class to play. Then again, I haven't tried many. :P Which reminds me, I need to roll up a character for this...

(Also one time (on another character, a half-orc rogue/fighter) I threw the nudist halfling down a flight of stairs, into the dwarven cleric who was locked in combat with a horde of ghouls. Oh man, that was a fun campaign. It wasn't my fault, though, I told him to stop calling me shitdrinker!)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2013, 05:00:36 am »

Hey I said "Most dull"

Who is the most dull?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2013, 05:05:36 am »

Gunslinger. We cannot even charge for chrissake!

Only pewpewpewpewfixgunpewpew.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 89