Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 89

Author Topic: Pathfinder Non-Sequential - Girlinhat is your DM!  (Read 91976 times)

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) Girlinhat is your DM!
« Reply #915 on: March 08, 2013, 12:06:57 pm »

Aw, but I wanted to become an authentic knight on a horse!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: March 08, 2013, 12:11:18 pm »

Well right now your character is too busy crying, wimpering, and simpering to get a new horse. You need to gain a level before your character gains the emotional maturity to try to connect to another horse.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: March 08, 2013, 12:12:17 pm »

Well right now your character is too busy crying, wimpering, and simpering to get a new horse. You need to gain a level before your character gains the emotional maturity to try to connect to another horse.
Nah, I only have to wait 1 in game week, you need to gain a full level for changing orders.
Only down to 4 days, now that I think of it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: March 08, 2013, 12:17:35 pm »

Honestly if there was one rule for the Calvalier that I think should be abolished it is the "Level up" requirement for a new horse familiar.

It changes a class that IMO should be a NPC class into one that suddenly becomes viable for PCs if that rule was taken away.

It is the only part of the Calvaleer that I think DMs should houserule out of the game.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:19:21 pm by Neonivek »

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: March 08, 2013, 12:19:07 pm »

Honestly if there was one rule for the Calvalier that I think should be abolished it is the "Level up" requirement for a new horse familiar.

It changes a class that IMO should be a NPC class into one that suddenly becomes viable for PCs.
You don't have to level up for a new horse.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: March 08, 2013, 12:22:47 pm »

This new mount does not gain the link, evasion, devotion, or improved evasion special abilities until the next time the cavalier gains a level

That is what they don't get.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 08, 2013, 12:24:32 pm »

Ah. I thought you meant you need to level up to gain a new horse.
Yeah, you are right about that. They need to buff cavaliers.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: March 08, 2013, 12:32:56 pm »

I mean I understand why they added that, they didn't want players to treat their horses as expendible because they arn't supposed to be expendible.

But certainly there were other ways to do this and abilities they could have given them to make them a bit more functional in an ordinary game.

Which is where my issue is. The Calvalier is a powerful class in fact a really powerful class (In fact one of the most powerful melee classes), but the requirement to lug around and closely defend a horse/Camel that you absolutely cannot have killed, disabled, abandoned, or stuck in anyway is so huge that I honestly treat that class like an amazing NPC class.

My ideal image of a PC Calvalier?

He gives his horse Boots of Spiderclimb, has a necklace of Reduce animal, and carries a LOT or rope and has climb. Probably has a wooden plank.

Oddly enough I think Small humanoids have less issue with the class in some ways.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:40:49 pm by Neonivek »

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: March 08, 2013, 12:47:34 pm »

Posting to watch. If there's still a slot I'll join, but I'm not that familiar with pathfinder at all.

Clerics can be priests of pretty much any god going. I'd probably restrict the spell-list to either good or evil alignments though depending on your chosen god, just for simplicities' sake. Excluding healing and buffs, ofc. (e.g an evil cleric sure as hell isn't going to forget to cast protection from evil when he tries to summon Spoilers. or, protection from good when fighting anything made of pure light.)

Also of course horses are expendable. Emergency food supply. >.>
Gods don't take too kindly on asking for bread and fish every day, y'know.  :P
If it comes down to it I'd just say stick a house rule in, say 12 hours or on the next level up, otherwise we'd have halflings riding gnomes and suchforth.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 08, 2013, 12:52:22 pm »

Why are people suggesting nerfing down of a cavalier all of a sudden?!
Cavaliers aren't that great! They are interbred lovechild of paladins and fighters!
and our horses aren't emergency supplies, it's like a druid companion. Go away.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: March 08, 2013, 12:56:28 pm »

Wait what? I am suggesting they remove the Level up wait requirement As well as abilities that help a horse move through tough locations.

Also DoomOnion you love Calvaliers.

Also Protip: Always have an additional horse as a Calvalier (in fact multiple). Sure additional horses won't survive very long... but it means that you have a pathetic mount for a week before you can get a better one.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:59:06 pm by Neonivek »

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: March 08, 2013, 01:01:47 pm »

Yeah, as if paladins would ever get off their high horse and have a lovechild with a fighter. :P

Also druids alignment restrictions are pretty harsh. Who wants a panther or dire bear as a companion when you could have a Dryad?  ;D

Actually druids probably like high horses too. Goddamn hippies.  ::)

Edit: also on the extra horses thing, I fully agree. Most knights and such would have several horses, they'd ride one, then when they reach a battle they'd switch to another, fresh horse. So did most messengers.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 01:06:20 pm by Iosyn »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 08, 2013, 01:41:08 pm »

Now I can only see gillen losing around 2 horses per level.

and yeah he should really drag around about 5 horses for replacements, in fact so much that we should call our team the horse pile instead of the mule pile.

What can I say, i've been playing enough Mount&Blade so to enjoy targeting horses of enemy cavalry. The way they faceplant into the ground and the sound the horse makes is so satisfying.

also, gillen ? Light barding. No loss of movement and up to +4 ac to your horse with the equivalent of chainmail.

Will take an aurochs as a mount at lvl2 though.

It must be around 200gp iirc.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 01:48:10 pm by Naryar »

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 08, 2013, 01:48:06 pm »

and yeah he should really drag around about 5 horses for replacements, in fact so much that we should call our team the horse pile instead of the mule pile.

also, gillen ? Light barding. No loss of movement and up to +4 ac to your horse with the equivalent of chainmail.

Unfortunately, good sir, I am broke. I, however, accept donations. :D

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 08, 2013, 01:52:31 pm »

Unfortunately, good sir, I am broke. I, however, accept donations. :D

We'll probably sell plenty of loot after the raid on the spider's lair. Shouldn't be a problem.

Would you be willing to train my aurochs in combat for 50gp ?
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 89