Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 89

Author Topic: Pathfinder Non-Sequential - Girlinhat is your DM!  (Read 91896 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) Girlinhat is your DM!
« Reply #300 on: February 14, 2013, 01:56:59 pm »

Or make them two groups in the same campaign.

Alpha and Delta team.

With an occasional game where both groups meet. Like at major bosses. Basically a huge crossover event.

That sounds amazing, but doesn't it require 2 DMs in theory? otherwise, there's no real physical difference, it would still be equally confusing and overcrowded.

You host them on two different days.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 14, 2013, 01:57:37 pm »

I feel unspeakably stupid. But yeah, that sounds like an amazing idea, I mean, the possibilities.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 14, 2013, 01:58:07 pm »

If we are going to do this weekly, DM will have to show up twice a week. If it's compatible with GiH's schedule and the setting/story of the campaign, why not? There is no max player limit hardcoded in Roll20, IIRC.

At this moment, Naryar has secured a place in the party, being the only cleric.  Sorry, but I think I'm gonna have to drop a fighter in favor of a cleric.
Who?
Probably those with the least developped backstory.

._.
I can develop more!

We all know DMs don't care about backstory.
Personal side quests can be created for PCs depending on backstory and characterization. I guess it's rare though.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 14, 2013, 01:59:20 pm »

Backstories would indeed give the DM more material to work with. Yeah.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 14, 2013, 02:07:30 pm »

I was going to write something about my nemesis who backstabbed me during a mercenary job but hey, what are the chances of both of us running into each other unless I was actively searching for him? I also got an impression from the games I watched: most GMs tend to dislike players who use roleplay (justified or not) to change the course of the story (which was their goal or not).

So what are we going to do? Who gets kicked from the game? Do we all post backstories and hope GiH likes it? :P

I would totally play a Cleric... If I knew how.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 14, 2013, 02:12:58 pm »

Topping from the bottom is one thing, but providing fertile soil for adventure seeds is highly valued by good GMs.  If you're trying to make the game about your character that will grate on people.  Putting seeds in your backstory is good.
Shoes...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 14, 2013, 02:15:06 pm »

Backstories allow me more fun.  Laetra's character is a half-elf with a disdain for elves and magic (more or less) so I have some fun social things to do when the party rolls into town.

I debated doing two games at once in the same world.  The big idea was to pit them against each other, on different sides of the battlefield.  It could almost be played like an MMO of sorts, if one team takes a field, their side gets a bonus to food production, or claim a mine to get more iron and more soldiers.  After every play, the parties would spend any extra time (like, 1 month) in town to let them do crafting checks, earn spare gold, and let their faction move resources, refill soldiers, fortify positions, or make attacks.  The only real limiter, would be that the two parties couldn't be on the same field at the same time, like one team assault a base while another team defends, because the groups would be scheduled at different times, and everyone knows that each player would be taking lethal shots at the others unfairly.

Could be fun, could result in a lot of grind recapturing the same areas again and again.  And I'd want a lot of extra time to set up a large playing field, if we were going to go all out with this.  And I'd have to figure out a way to balance things.  After all, for the most part it'd just be one team claiming a territory each week, since the players are so much stronger than average NPC then any siege that's aided by the party would overpower the enemy.  So, I'm not totally sure how to do things...  There's always the option to let me (the DM) play as my own party and make player-equivalent NPCs to throw super-spells around and stuff.

In fact, Pathfinder includes rules for this.  Kingmaker campaign has rules for taking cities, fielding armies, and large-scale payment, but I haven't been able to get a legal free copy, so I didn't look into it very deeply.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 14, 2013, 02:19:16 pm »

I think the better idea is to put them on essentially the same side (since player versus player conflict ends badly) but put them on entirely different routes.

Or rather: It is like an entirely different game except when it isn't.

Or at least don't put them into dirrect conflict. Indirrect conflict though works well.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 14, 2013, 02:21:14 pm »

Why do I only see this now ;_;

Well, it seems like it's too late to join now.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 14, 2013, 02:41:38 pm »

Backstories allow me more fun.  Laetra's character is a half-elf with a disdain for elves and magic (more or less) so I have some fun social things to do when the party rolls into town.

I debated doing two games at once in the same world.  The big idea was to pit them against each other, on different sides of the battlefield.  It could almost be played like an MMO of sorts, if one team takes a field, their side gets a bonus to food production, or claim a mine to get more iron and more soldiers.  After every play, the parties would spend any extra time (like, 1 month) in town to let them do crafting checks, earn spare gold, and let their faction move resources, refill soldiers, fortify positions, or make attacks.  The only real limiter, would be that the two parties couldn't be on the same field at the same time, like one team assault a base while another team defends, because the groups would be scheduled at different times, and everyone knows that each player would be taking lethal shots at the others unfairly.

Could be fun, could result in a lot of grind recapturing the same areas again and again.  And I'd want a lot of extra time to set up a large playing field, if we were going to go all out with this.  And I'd have to figure out a way to balance things.  After all, for the most part it'd just be one team claiming a territory each week, since the players are so much stronger than average NPC then any siege that's aided by the party would overpower the enemy.  So, I'm not totally sure how to do things...  There's always the option to let me (the DM) play as my own party and make player-equivalent NPCs to throw super-spells around and stuff.

In fact, Pathfinder includes rules for this.  Kingmaker campaign has rules for taking cities, fielding armies, and large-scale payment, but I haven't been able to get a legal free copy, so I didn't look into it very deeply.

Oh, it seems what I dreamed about is already planned by DM. The only reason I asked to see every character's race was to see who was elf and who was half-orc. Then I won't stop my character from displaying his hatred for magic and his mother's race. I apologize to players who have chosen Elf as their race in advance. I'm thinking about rewriting my character's background to make it less shallow (I think we all should do this because there are lots of melee guys and characters could feel alike. The Druid will probably be the most unique character) but I'll wait until the player list is decided and won't be changed. I don't want to be "that guy" who changed his background so GM wouldn't kick him.

If we do two different parties, there can be special schedules once in a while where every player is scheduled for the same game. However, some people may decide to "skip" that day because the schedule doesn't work for them. But it's always a possibility. Real life can call any time.

About Kingmaker... Er, I acquired it... somehow... and I can say it has lots of potential if we are talking about late-game stuff here.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:43:25 pm by Leatra »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 14, 2013, 02:50:53 pm »

My character is quite done, it's a TN dwarf cleric of Gorum with a greatsword. Yes, a cleric and a dwarf with a greatsword, nevermind stereotypes.

No doubt i'm gonna do some melee along with the warriors along with the standard band-aid duty.

Biography will come soon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 14, 2013, 02:52:30 pm »

I think just for the sake of Dwarf, not to mention Dwarf Melee Cleric, you should probably be CN...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 14, 2013, 03:09:47 pm »

I think just for the sake of Dwarf, not to mention Dwarf Melee Cleric, you should probably be CN...

So true neutral is not badass enough for you ?

Chaotic neutral does not strike me as truly fitting for my character. I mean yes, he does only find joy in battle and conflict and does believe that might makes right, but he's pretty stoic, wise and no-nonsense outside of melee. With the possible exception of the fixation on combat. 16 Wisdom does mean something personality-wise, you know.

True neutral seems most fitting. Besides, I bet we already have 3 chaotic neutrals in the party.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 14, 2013, 03:16:53 pm »

Well lets say your character drives a car

Now he comes to an empty road he knows is completely depopulated with a red light.

Does he cross the road in the car before the light turns green?

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 14, 2013, 03:24:43 pm »

Also, get explosive runes for funtimes. Get a book, put the runes on a random page, return it to the library for maximum evil!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 89