Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 89

Author Topic: Pathfinder Non-Sequential - Girlinhat is your DM!  (Read 91830 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and Dragons) Girlinhat is your DM!
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2013, 05:51:46 pm »

I'm still collecting names.

EDIT: ALSO when this starts, I'll be keeping a pretty tight chronicle of events.  Do we want to start a "Play with your Buddies" thread and share progress?

I'm accepting characters, as well.  If you've finished yours, feel free to send me all the info.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 05:58:50 pm by Girlinhat »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2013, 06:08:10 pm »

Agreed. Sometimes they choose to be Evil just for the sake of messing with the campaign for fun. Then again, morality of DnD doesn't offer much greyness in morality anyway.

It honestly does if you handle it that way. The problem with dungeons and dragons is the problem with a lot of settings... it ultimately boils down to interpretation.

The biggest issue of course is that people tend to be rather absolute when it comes to allignments. To the extent where neutral tends to be played as "Good but not thaaat good".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2013, 06:18:37 pm »

I'm kind of vacillating on neutral or evil.  My character isn't evil for the sake of being evil, but he's selfish, vindictive, and arrogant.  So we'll see, I guess.
Shoes...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2013, 06:19:45 pm »

To the extent where neutral tends to be played as "Good but not thaaat good".
My neutrals are the opposite. Dickish, but not to the extend that people feel like lynching them.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 12, 2013, 06:24:34 pm »

Do we want to start a "Play with your Buddies" thread and share progress?
I think that's a great idea!

Agreed. Sometimes they choose to be Evil just for the sake of messing with the campaign for fun. Then again, morality of DnD doesn't offer much greyness in morality anyway.

It honestly does if you handle it that way. The problem with dungeons and dragons is the problem with a lot of settings... it ultimately boils down to interpretation.

The biggest issue of course is that people tend to be rather absolute when it comes to allignments. To the extent where neutral tends to be played as "Good but not thaaat good".

The problem is most people see Evil aligned people as people who enjoy being evil and do evil deeds just for the sake of being evil. Pragmatic villainy tends to be seen as a Neutral act. I see Neutral aligned people as individualists who do not care about trying to be Good or Evil. They are just fending for themselves and their loved ones without being a complete asshole or trying to save the world everyday. I'd love to play an Evil character if people didn't expect me to rape and murder everything that moves. I'd also love to play with someone who is both rational but also considered Evil so it doesn't turn into a Belkar situation every time the character gets all murdery. Playing an Evil like that is difficult. What I consider to be most difficult is probably Chaotic Neutral and Lawful Neutrals since being "Neutral" is kinda subjective. What may seem gray to you may seem downright evil to me.

And True Neutrals are just weird.

The best thing I love about DnD's morality system is it's Chaos vs Law axis. At least it creates some distinction when it comes to anti-heroes and anti-villains.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2013, 06:32:10 pm »

I always viewed lawful neutral as just following orders and the law exactly to the letter without any thought to whether they are doing the right thing or not.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 12, 2013, 06:33:47 pm »

I usually think of the good/evil axis as selfless/selfish instead.  A good character will deliberately put himself at a disadvantage for another's well being.  An evil character will deliberately harm someone who doesn't deserve it to further his own cause.
Shoes...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 12, 2013, 06:36:21 pm »

Druids are often considered Lawful Neutral.  They only care to keep their forests safe, to follow the order of nature and maintain it.  Nature is beautiful and bloody, but it has a way of working.

Also at this point, greatorder and Baneling have submitted finished characters, along with a personal friend who doesn't have a Bay12 account (yet).

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 12, 2013, 06:43:26 pm »

You got my PM too right? I'd hate to write all that stuff again :P

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2013, 06:46:03 pm »

I can't remember, do you add your dex bonus to crossbow damage?
Shoes...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 12, 2013, 06:51:11 pm »

LN is "rules and moral codes are paramount, then everything else goes after them" ala Judge Dredd or Vhailor or Rorschach. CN is "I can do whatever I want, but not if it hurts people too much", ala V for Vendetta or Marv or Puck.

True neutral is less extremist, and is generally between them. as examples, Guts is true neutral.

Evil in it's essence is "Other people are either tools, enemies or toys for me". Good in it's essence is "Other people deserve my respect and unconditional help". Neutral is between both, less extremist, generally shapes itself with personal relationships.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 12, 2013, 07:03:05 pm »

Looking for likely Saturday Afternoon playtimes, preferably something friendly for England, so around 4pm or earlier Central Standard Time (GMT -6:00).  I got Leatra and Kansa's characters as well, going to review and acknowledge.  We're up to 5 submitted characters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 12, 2013, 07:08:04 pm »

LN is also the Archtypical Samurai character. Someone who believes that honor is important above all else.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 12, 2013, 07:11:32 pm »

Looking for likely Saturday Afternoon playtimes, preferably something friendly for England, so around 4pm or earlier Central Standard Time (GMT -6:00).  I got Leatra and Kansa's characters as well, going to review and acknowledge.  We're up to 5 submitted characters.
Saturday sounds good. My country is in GMT + 2 timezone. A few hours earlier than 4:00 PM would be preferable, but still not a big deal. I'm a night owl.

By the way, I'm going to drop some background information regarding my character tomorrow. Nothing big, just some personality stuff. Alignment does nothing more than creating a stereotyping label if there is no background. I figure a GM should know about the PCs he is going to play with to provide a more fun experience.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 12, 2013, 07:13:58 pm »

Saturdays are made for staying up late.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 89