Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 89

Author Topic: Pathfinder Non-Sequential - Girlinhat is your DM!  (Read 91747 times)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder Non-Sequential - Girlinhat is your DM!
« Reply #1260 on: April 12, 2013, 05:27:54 pm »

Thrug likes to hit things.

Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: April 12, 2013, 05:30:29 pm »

Haha we have so much melee! My eidolons might have to grow some arms and start using bows at some point...
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: April 13, 2013, 03:24:55 am »

Melee parties are the best parties !

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: April 13, 2013, 06:44:55 am »

Leatra may join again if his campaign doesn't interfere with ours.

also I am very tempted to drop bomb feature and go Beastmorph/Vivisectionist. It has some very nice features and I can drop bomb discoveries altogether, to get 2 extra arms or something equally awesome.

Bikari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: April 13, 2013, 07:12:06 am »

Basic premise of some longer adventures are in place. Before I start adding details to what I have:

Is there anything you as a group or a player want to see in these adventures or as a module

Seriously, I get a lot of campaigns where one or all drop at least ONE comment of "Why didnt you have/add this" at some stage near the end, so for once. I'm going to be taking *A* request, if there's something you want to try playing through I'll see if I can make it happen, most interesting idea gets turned into a short module I slip in at some point, but only one for the moment.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: April 13, 2013, 10:21:54 am »

Considering my character is an archaeologist, it would be to his liking to raid old tombs and temples for ancient knowledge or artifacts.

Do I need a fedora ?

Oh, and beastmorph/vivisectionist it is. Going to change my character sheet asap.

Edit : done, also fixed the errors in it
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:36:30 am by Naryar »

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: April 13, 2013, 10:57:15 am »

I don't really have anything in particular in mind but Naryar's suggestion sounds pretty cool
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: April 13, 2013, 11:19:45 am »

Yeah, I haven't fleshed out backstory all that much, so I don't have all that many ideas. I like tomb and temple raiding though.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: April 13, 2013, 11:35:11 am »

yeah I have a vague backstory and ideals and goals for my character, nothing very fleshed out though.

Bikari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: April 13, 2013, 12:42:38 pm »

Honestly, writing a backstory is incredibly simple when you find a method of developing characters that you're comfortable with and it makes roleplaying a character a far easier affair than some would make it out to be and that you don't need to 'flesh it out' at all. So though I'm really bad at giving people advice, I'm going to try because honestly, this is my first time trying to explain these things to other players and I figure as some people are new to this that I'd try and start sharing my 8 years of tabletop games and D&D experience for others.

As an example I'll use one of my 4.0 characters because she's the most recent I made and still pretty fresh in mind for quick writing.

Start with what race you are, always, the culture generally determines a lot of your character and story to begin with, in this case Dragonborn. Naturally prideful warriors, and have a very 'spartan-esque' culture, parents often teach their children of honour and virtue with skill that also serves to leash a Dragonborn's natural ferocity with military discipline.

Dragonborn is born to her clan's strongest warrior as very much the runt of the litter bringing a fair deal of shame so she's largely ignored by her Mother, but Mommy has no time to waste on a child that will likely end up killed by a stiff breeze  so our little heroine uses her Mother's scorn and aforementioned natural ferocity to leave the clan and fuel her personal training, wandering countries determined not to be her mother and to help where she can. In her travels she happens across a small village hiring mercenaries to protect them from soldiers so she offers her own aid, the people of the village feel this is their luck turning as in the center of their village is a small rundown temple to Bahamut, the Platinum Dragon God of justice.

After the battle with the soldiers turns bloody, several of the hired mercenaries being killed with promises of what would be done to the villagers, our Dragonborn forces herself to retreat to rest and heal and finds herself in the little temple where the Priest tends to his canaries and congratulates the dragonborn for her valiant attempt and asks her to rest there, succumbing to injury she loses consciousness and finds herself awake in the very much still intact temple, and village where the old man asks if she'd use her skills as a Paladin of Bahamut, using her heart and skills to help where it's needed to which she eagerly accepts with mild confusion as to why she isn't dead, though the questions are ignored shes taught the skills of a Paladin and sent on her way.

What's beautiful in this backstory is that I didn't write it, I wrote as far as 'and to help where she can.' that fullstop is the end of my writing, and everything after it is what took place in the first campaign I used her in. Starting out as a Dragonborn Barbarian and being trained by the old man as a Dragonborn Paladin. And to explain the rest, the Platinum Dragon often wanders the world in the guise of an old man and his 7 great gold wyrm honour guard disguising themselves as 7 singing canaries, very compassionate to the downtrodden and the weak, and those who choose to fight their own battles in the face adversity. My DM saw this personality about my character and changed the campaign ending to fit, the other mercenaries were other players that had bad luck with the dice rolls and actually died fighting the soldiers, I got a critical success and managed to retreat to the temple on one hitpoint where a God took pity on a Dragonborn cast aside by her own family. This campaign then set the tone for every other campaign I play my dragonborn paladin in and the game itself became her backstory.

Give your character a simple *start* not a backstory, a start. A reason for them to leave their city, village, family, and a reason to be involved in what's happening in the campaign, in this case the Faction. And let the game shape you, rather than you shape it for the game. These often result in some of the most amazing, roleplaying experiences you will encounter as a D&D player, as well as some of the most detailed characters you could hope for. And it could be as simple as something like leaving to find wealth for your family to live in luxury.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: April 13, 2013, 01:22:36 pm »

So I had a basic story in mind to make sense of the race and traits I took and I guess that's the "simple start" you're talking about.

He's a kobold who was abandoned by his tribe for taking too much interest in other races' societies. Instead of the normal kobold hatred for humanoid races he has a curiosity that led him to gain a basic understanding of human society (and language) before using his natural charisma (and Jester racial trait) to gain an apprenticeship with a local wizard. He didn't have the intelligence needed to master wizard magic (he's got 10, so he's not dumb, but not wizard-smart), but when he stumbled across summoner magic and crafted his first eidolon he decided to once again go exploring to learn about the other races.

Or something.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: April 13, 2013, 03:30:16 pm »

So, sorry for the newbie question that I'm sure will be easily answered, but... how do we do this? I've got a roll20 account and I've played around with it so I know how it works, but I've never joined a game.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: April 13, 2013, 03:35:01 pm »

So, sorry for the newbie question that I'm sure will be easily answered, but... how do we do this? I've got a roll20 account and I've played around with it so I know how it works, but I've never joined a game.
I'll send invites with a link to click on.

Tomorrow, sadly.  Unforseen issues have gotten in the way of scheduling and I'll need to push the session back a bit.  So, prepare for a match tomorrow, and if you're unable to make it don't stress it too much, I plan to get multiple sessions a week for non-plot missions so anyone 'lagging behind' can make up time.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: April 13, 2013, 03:35:46 pm »

Ah. Yeah I can't do tomorrow. Hopefully the next one though.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: April 13, 2013, 05:13:32 pm »

Tomorrow it is then ? OK, I can do tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 89