Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 611 612 [613] 614 615 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 825821 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ronald Reagan's Long National Nightmare Discussion Thread
« Reply #9180 on: October 30, 2014, 08:51:54 am »

I'd love to sit on a jury! It's something I've always wanted to do in life. The compensation isn't fantastic, but, hey.

Are people here really so tied up in "but most people don't want to!" to forget about concepts like civic duty?
Civic duty is great, but not when 'you' are the one who is required to do it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9181 on: October 30, 2014, 12:01:58 pm »

I would hate to ever get called for jury duty, just because I have so little faith in our justice/prison system. I couldnt in good conscience convict anyone of anything unless they were undoubtedly the worst scum of the earth.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9182 on: October 30, 2014, 12:27:30 pm »

I would hate to ever get called for jury duty, just because I have so little faith in our justice/prison system. I couldnt in good conscience convict anyone of anything unless they were undoubtedly the worst scum of the earth.

Rest assured that no prosecutor would ever pick you.

(Or defendant, likely.)

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9183 on: October 30, 2014, 12:37:03 pm »

Or people who prejure their asses off trying to appear bland and mediocre to the lawyers so they can pull some 12 Angry Men shit.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9184 on: October 30, 2014, 03:07:30 pm »

I had mixed feeling about jury duty. I was called once several years ago, for a case about a violation of a supposed contractual agreement between a businessman and a guy he called in for consulting. The deal fell through and the consultant got stiffed on any fees he would have gotten, and he sued. He did not win (because there was no written contract.)

Then I was called last year for a murder trial. >.>

Luckily I never got to the selection process, I was marked as an alternate and they filled out the jury without having to call me or any of the other alternates. Really glad I dodged that one, I just didn't feel like sitting in judgment of a man's life. I would have, had I been called and accepted, but it wasn't something I really wanted to do.

The best way to avoid jury is to have a strong opinion, one way or another, when you're questioned about your beliefs. If you give an answer the prosecutor likes, chances are the defense will want you struck from the list. And vicea versa. Being bland and neutral is perhaps the best way to get chosen and sat on the jury.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9185 on: October 30, 2014, 06:21:04 pm »

We have judges :P

Holland ranks pretty good for corruption. Compare to judges in other countries though, and you can see why many other countries people prefer juries as a safety net. What exactly do you propose to countries where the judiciary is notoriously corrupt or biased?

One example from the USA is a juvenile court judge who was getting bribes from a correctional facility to administer extremely harsh sentences for minor offenders who were little kids so they could fill their facility and get government handouts. This guy got caught, but with the vast number of private prisons in America I'm sure it's only the tip of the iceberg. Sticking people in prison is an industry in USA, not a profession. And industries need to ensure turnover. They nicknamed it the "kids for cash" scandal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 06:23:37 pm by Reelya »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #9186 on: October 30, 2014, 06:22:58 pm »

Yeah, that kind of thing is endemic here. I shudder to think of how bad things'd get if we cut the juries out.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9187 on: October 30, 2014, 06:25:50 pm »

I don't really know, but, can 'individuals' donate to courts?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9188 on: October 30, 2014, 06:29:37 pm »

Yeah, but then you also do weird stuff like electing judges.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9189 on: October 31, 2014, 02:34:11 pm »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29857182

That's the second spacecraft incident for the last week in USA.

Time to switch to the trampoline technology?
._.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9190 on: October 31, 2014, 02:38:37 pm »

While tragic, the crash of an experimental aircraft is hardly unexpected. Even the absurdly save commercial jetliners of today had some pretty bad teething problems in the design phase, and a reusable suborbital craft is an order of magnitude more complex (and thus error-prone) in design.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9191 on: October 31, 2014, 02:43:38 pm »

Bout time we started funding NASA properly again, I'd say. Mind you, I just like NASA and think it's underappreciated, so I'm somewhat biased wanting it to have a larger role in US space activities compared to the private industries that both these incidents have happened to. There's no actual logic tying that desire to these events, since even the usual profit motive leading to cut corners doesn't really apply to this kind of R&D.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9192 on: October 31, 2014, 02:45:25 pm »

I think the world would become about 100x better if the funding budgets of NASA and US military were switched.
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9193 on: October 31, 2014, 02:46:10 pm »

The best way to avoid jury is to have a strong opinion, one way or another, when you're questioned about your beliefs. If you give an answer the prosecutor likes, chances are the defense will want you struck from the list. And vicea versa. Being bland and neutral is perhaps the best way to get chosen and sat on the jury.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqH_Y1TupoQ&list=UU2C_jShtL725hvbm1arSV9w

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9194 on: October 31, 2014, 02:54:09 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqH_Y1TupoQ&list=UU2C_jShtL725hvbm1arSV9w
So wait, 12 random dudes from the streets can proclaim a serial murdered with tons of evidence non-guilty, and nobody can overrule that decision?

What the hell.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 611 612 [613] 614 615 ... 667