Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 610 611 [612] 613 614 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 825826 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ronald Reagan's Long National Nightmare Discussion Thread
« Reply #9165 on: October 29, 2014, 02:02:35 pm »

dude chill

i gave up at the point where they didn't even bother with the italics at the start of the article

just dismiss it as 'murica and carry on

Care to explain why you think judge trials are a good thing, or are you more concerned with being as quirky as possible?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9166 on: October 29, 2014, 02:36:18 pm »

dude chill

i gave up at the point where they didn't even bother with the italics at the start of the article

Care to explain why you think judge trials are a good thing, or are you more concerned with being as quirky as possible?
Judge are actually trained professionals who know much more about the law than a normal person from the street.

Normal people from the street are 1) not educated in law and 2) very biased. In a "tough on crime" way, usually.
._.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #9167 on: October 29, 2014, 02:43:59 pm »

Darn 'urapeon's looking down their pointy frenchie noses at us! Take you socieleesms somewhere else, ya commies! *shakes fist in the general direction of europe*

that said, I do find myself in general agreement that I'd rather have a jury.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9168 on: October 29, 2014, 02:45:59 pm »

Normal people from the street are 1) not educated in law and 2) very biased. In a "tough on crime" way, usually.

Or in lawsuits: always favor the victim/small man, even when the suits are ridiculous at times.

that said, I do find myself in general agreement that I'd rather have a jury.

Harder to bribe 12 people than just 1?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9169 on: October 29, 2014, 03:09:13 pm »

I too find the idea of jury trials rather horrifying. I guess how many US legal dramas are about manipulating juries doesn't help. Otherwise it's probably "stick with what you know".
Although you should remember that the role and power of judges in civil law systems differs from common law systems, so judge trials here might be a bit different than you imagine.

This. People here usually think judges are too lenient, at least when it's about major crimes.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9170 on: October 29, 2014, 03:57:27 pm »

We actually have juries in Belgium, but only for the Assize Court, that deals mostly with murder and the like. But yeah, having someone trained as a judge seems better than having a bunch of random people, screened by lawyers to be as ignorant and malleable as possible decide on the fate of someone.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9171 on: October 29, 2014, 04:02:14 pm »

Did everybody miss what I said about using computers?

Maybe some day when AI algorithms are on par with humans, but not now, both because ethics and because its too easy to manipulate coding or throw the computer into a deadlock.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9172 on: October 29, 2014, 04:36:17 pm »

Harder to bribe 12 people than just 1?

That's one big factor (particularly since you have no idea who is going to be on the jury ahead of time to prepare bribes and/or threats (and sequestration of the jury further minimizes the threat of such in major trials). Another, more important, factor is that judges tend to come from the upper levels of the legal profession, which restricts the majority of them to a fairly narrow group (generally privileged people that not only had the money to go to law school, but had the social connections to manage to rise fairly high fairly quickly. There's exceptions, of course, such as crusaders that distinguished themselves in high-profile cases, or poor scholarship students that managed to get there by working their asses off, but those create their own biases), which is the perfect breeding ground for unconscious bias in decision. Having to convince 12 people of a person's guilt goes a long way toward offsetting that with a range, particularly when the lawyers on both sides have gone over the jury list and eliminated the most biased members. It's notable that the court systems took a long way toward fairness once juries were racially integrated, for example, even without changing most of the judges. 
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9173 on: October 29, 2014, 08:00:06 pm »

You know, judges in civil law systems are appointed in a quite different manner than those in common law systems.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9174 on: October 29, 2014, 10:17:30 pm »

dude chill

Judge are actually trained professionals who know much more about the law than a normal person from the street.

Don't forget, who are also only there because they are legally obligated to be, and are being paid an insultingly low amount for their time so likely just want everything over with as quickly as possible.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9175 on: October 30, 2014, 07:10:44 am »

Could make basic legal and reasoning knowledge the main requirement for jury duty, once you clear out the friends and family of the prosecution- have jurors pass a test.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9176 on: October 30, 2014, 07:15:02 am »

Again, most people go out of their way to avoid jury duty, and NOT learning something is a very easy thing to do.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9177 on: October 30, 2014, 07:16:58 am »

I'd love to sit on a jury! It's something I've always wanted to do in life. The compensation isn't fantastic, but, hey.

Are people here really so tied up in "but most people don't want to!" to forget about concepts like civic duty?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9178 on: October 30, 2014, 07:20:08 am »

Even if person shoulddo it doesn't mean they want to.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9179 on: October 30, 2014, 07:56:03 am »

Are people here really so tied up in "but most people don't want to!" to forget about concepts like civic duty?

It's probably that they don't want to have to deal with having to decide to pretty much ruin another person's life, or the possibility of having friends or family (or a massive crowd) decide to get revenge in some cases, since they didn't like the verdict.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 610 611 [612] 613 614 ... 667