Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 825782 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Ronald Reagan's Long National Nightmare Discussion Thread
« Reply #9135 on: October 29, 2014, 01:58:09 am »

Earlier in the year, the court also tried to pass a bill that would let businesses refuse services on religious grounds. The governor's response:

That would be pretty surprising, since passing bills is the responsibility of the legislature. (What I was referring to was Arizona joining the many states where their same-sex marriage ban was ruled illegal.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9136 on: October 29, 2014, 03:50:54 am »

Isn't ALEC a right-wing, conservative think-tanks? Funny how even them are appalled by Arizona.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9137 on: October 29, 2014, 05:29:20 am »

* LordSlowpoke kicks door in

heard you were talking shit
LSP, the subject is about criminal trials, not civil. Which, yeah, both judge and no trials in that case is kinda' fucking bad. Doubly so considering this is the states and being an ex-con completely screws you basically forever.
Care to explain why you think judge trials are a good thing, or are you more concerned with being as quirky as possible?
Okay, two pages late, but: Read the fucking, link, guys. Unless you are claiming that the judicial system of practically all of Europe is fundamentally perverted - which is pretty fucking arrogant - I suggest you inform yourself on judge trials before just declaring them plain evil, because they're precisely not a judge making rulings on an arbitrary basis without any checks to make sure he follows the law.
I'd rather see an argument for why life-and-death decisions (after all, America is a member of that elite club still doing executions, among other members such as China, Iran, and North Korea) should be handed over to a group of randomly selected plebejans with no judicial or philosophical education.

Sorry for the ranty bits, but that was US-centrism at its worst. And that's not a good thing, especially in the US politics thread.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9138 on: October 29, 2014, 05:43:12 am »

dude chill

i gave up at the point where they didn't even bother with the italics at the start of the article

just dismiss it as 'murica and carry on

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9139 on: October 29, 2014, 05:46:16 am »

just dismiss it as 'murica and carry on
Nah, I have the problem of actually liking the country. It makes for some very awkward debates about drone strikes and so on, in which I have to defend the US as a nation but at the same time have to condemn the actual issue at hand...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9140 on: October 29, 2014, 06:14:46 am »

How is that awkward? You're German, condemning specific actions of a country while still liking it overall shouldn't be a problem for you.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9141 on: October 29, 2014, 06:49:03 am »

But it's the US! Germans still haven't forgiven the US for WWII, just like we're still subconciously mad at the Jews for the Holocaust. Plus we don't like ourselves either. Beneath the surface, we are one messed-up people.

That's why I like Heine: He's evidence that there's an alternative to this passive-agressive self-loathing that's come to define us as a nation.
The Bay12 postcard club

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9142 on: October 29, 2014, 06:52:30 am »

LSP, the subject is about criminal trials, not civil. Which, yeah, both judge and no trials in that case is kinda' fucking bad. Doubly so considering this is the states and being an ex-con completely screws you basically forever.
Care to explain why you think judge trials are a good thing, or are you more concerned with being as quirky as possible?
Okay, two pages late, but: Read the fucking, link, guys. Unless you are claiming that the judicial system of practically all of Europe is fundamentally perverted - which is pretty fucking arrogant - I suggest you inform yourself on judge trials before just declaring them plain evil, because they're precisely not a judge making rulings on an arbitrary basis without any checks to make sure he follows the law.

Yes, how dare they say anything Europe does is bad. Clearly they are the ones who are arrogant here!
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9143 on: October 29, 2014, 07:02:03 am »

Well, if they don't substantiate it, yeah. Dawkins had a nice essay of the issue with Juries in the Devil's Chaplain.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9144 on: October 29, 2014, 08:26:47 am »

That's still not arrogance, and the arrogant behaviour is still 100% coming from Helgoland.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9145 on: October 29, 2014, 08:27:57 am »

But it's the US! Germans still haven't forgiven the US for WWII, just like we're still subconciously mad at the Jews for the Holocaust. Plus we don't like ourselves either. Beneath the surface, we are one messed-up people.

That's why I like Heine: He's evidence that there's an alternative to this passive-agressive self-loathing that's come to define us as a nation.

I can't tell whether you're being sarcastic or not, and the US didn't start WWII.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9146 on: October 29, 2014, 08:50:38 am »

That's still not arrogance, and the arrogant behaviour is still 100% coming from Helgoland.
He was, however, still lambasting them for dismissing something they didn't even bother to read on even though they were provided a wiki article to it. YMMV if that's arrogance, but YMMalsoV about Helgo being either arrogant or really pissed off. Personally, I find your own indignance to be arrogant.

I can't tell whether you're being sarcastic or not, and the US didn't start WWII.
>Statement blaming jews for holocaust
>Can't tell if snark

Well, I guess this is the internet, where the phrase "Hitler did nothing wrong" was coined...

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9147 on: October 29, 2014, 09:02:59 am »

Yes, how dare they say anything Europe does is bad. Clearly they are the ones who are arrogant here!
US has the highest incarceration rate. Clearly this means that US citizens are on average more criminal than the citizens in all other countries, because the US juridical system is flawless, and jury would never send a non-guilty man to prison.

._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9148 on: October 29, 2014, 09:04:30 am »

It could also mean that since the EU system is flawed, criminals are released to often.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9149 on: October 29, 2014, 09:06:40 am »

The US incarceration rate has very little to do with wrongful imprisonment and practically ruddy everything to do with with shitpoor legislation.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:12:28 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 667