Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 825720 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Ronald Reagan's Long National Nightmare Discussion Thread
« Reply #9090 on: October 24, 2014, 08:51:07 am »

SC does seem to have a more moderate streak than much of the rest of the South. Lindsey Graham, for example, is probably the most likeable and least insane Republican senator south of the Mason-Dixon.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9091 on: October 24, 2014, 11:52:25 am »

Former presidential speechwriter calls for the South to secede and form a country called "Reagan".
On the radio show, he argued that the South had actually seceded “legally” and “peacefully” in the lead-up to the Civil War, but that “President Lincoln waged an illegal war,” Raw Story reported.
Do schools in the South just not even mention Fort Sumter anymore?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9092 on: October 24, 2014, 01:20:30 pm »

Southern schools are by and large in line with history, but the Lost Causers don't really care. Their narrative says that they had the right to leave, and that they were given no choice but to fight or die.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9093 on: October 28, 2014, 11:50:57 am »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9094 on: October 28, 2014, 12:06:32 pm »

U.S.A!  U.S.A!

Hmmm...Apathy...Entitlement...Being shielded from everything including consequence...Always wanting to be above the law because FREEDOM!...Masqueraded Oligarchy.

Have I missed any root causes?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #9095 on: October 28, 2014, 12:16:30 pm »

SC does seem to have a more moderate streak than much of the rest of the South. Lindsey Graham, for example, is probably the most likeable and least insane Republican senator south of the Mason-Dixon.

I seem to recall Lindsey Graham being a warmongering, PATRIOT Act supporting thug.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9097 on: October 28, 2014, 01:52:18 pm »

I've heard that it could potentially be a 50/50 split in the house, or senate, forget which one was said.

That article talks about completely removing the ability to filibuster, but I don't even know how it's supposed to be used anymore and the republicans (there probably have been democrats who abused it, but the republicans have been the most visible, I think) have been abusing it to death.

Actually, maybe not completely removing it, but it does need to be defined in a way that is healthy to the political system.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 01:55:19 pm by smjjames »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9098 on: October 28, 2014, 01:55:53 pm »

Oh, the Democrats will use it as often as they feel they need. It's just that popular perception will be different, because the Republicans have been filibustering petty shit like circuit court judge nominations and no-brainers like the Violence Against Women Act, while the Democrats will probably get to filibuster some really loony bills.

Also, in many cases, they won't need to filibuster- they'll let the Republicans pass it and then let the president veto it the minute it reaches his desk. That looks better, too, because it isn't grandstanding or abusing rules of procedure, it's just letting the Constitution do its thing.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9099 on: October 28, 2014, 02:06:38 pm »

Theres also the ones where they hold things up for HOURS, a couple months ago, Ted Cruz did a filibuster that was 18 hours long or something.

I just think that the filibuster should be renovated so that it can be used in a logical way or like I said, in a way that is healthy to the system, and yes I know politics and logic don't mix.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9100 on: October 28, 2014, 02:34:24 pm »

It should be go back to where the guy doing it had to actually be up there talking for the whole duration of the filibuster.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9101 on: October 28, 2014, 03:59:56 pm »

It should be go back to where the guy doing it had to actually be up there talking for the whole duration of the filibuster.
This. Much more entertaining.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #9102 on: October 28, 2014, 04:05:45 pm »

dictionaries will become mandatory. nothing else will change. except maybe our politicians vocabulary.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9103 on: October 28, 2014, 04:06:14 pm »

Theres also the ones where they hold things up for HOURS, a couple months ago, Ted Cruz did a filibuster that was 18 hours long or something.

I just think that the filibuster should be renovated so that it can be used in a logical way or like I said, in a way that is healthy to the system, and yes I know politics and logic don't mix.
'You can't repeat any previous words you've said during the filibuster' ought to help a lot.

*Uses dictionary*
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9104 on: October 28, 2014, 04:10:26 pm »

OK, amendment, you can't repeat any previous words AND you cannot hesitate for more than five seconds.

Then a law is passed that makes five seconds fifteen hours.

How about whenever someone declares a filibuster, they should recite the constitution first.  Might get the politicians more grounded, if we can get rid of all the gerrymandering, which leads to deadlock due to having only non-compromisers in the congress and makes each party so stuck in their postitions, since they don't have to appease to people of different ideals.

Edit: Also, have bills be unable to be longer than the constitution.
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 667