Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 825504 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8865 on: October 03, 2014, 11:33:53 am »

All hail our future moon-like president

I've got my hillary avatar saved for election season
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8866 on: October 03, 2014, 12:06:07 pm »

It would be very difficult for Cruz to win the primary. The establishment hates the man. They could nominate a Tea Party candidate, but not one as obnoxious and grandstanding as Cruz.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8867 on: October 03, 2014, 12:44:03 pm »

Alright, here's the real question: George Bush vs. Jeb Bush, who do you vote for? Because for me, the answer is honestly George. He, at least, acts like less of an asshole than Jeb. In fact, less assholishness might be the biggest thing the GOP needs to rebound.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:46:46 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8868 on: October 03, 2014, 12:50:47 pm »

Shit, dont you guys get to abstain? As that choice is a good one to abstain on if ever there was.
This is a blank sig.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8869 on: October 03, 2014, 12:51:51 pm »

You can abstain, but this is a hypothetical.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8870 on: October 03, 2014, 12:56:14 pm »

Lacking the ability to abstain, I'd be ethically forced to vote for Jeb. George was one of the major driving forces behind the deaths of multiple hundreds of thousands of civilians -- about the only thing I could vote him towards and hold on to anything resembling a conscious would be a firing squad life sentence behind bars.

Mind you, I'd rather, say, cut off my thumb or something than cast my vote for either of them, but yeah.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:58:43 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8871 on: October 03, 2014, 12:58:40 pm »

But what if Jeb is the Palpatine to George's Vader? I don't want to see the results of Jeb with executive powers..
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8872 on: October 03, 2014, 01:01:51 pm »

Neither would I, but considering it's hypothetical palpatine vs. confirmed vader, there's not much of an actual choice involved.

Palps was actually pretty good for the empire, anyway, iirc. The only major problem I can recall was the species-ism, and we've only got humans so that would mostly be okay.

E: of course, Palps was also actually fairly competent so I guess it's not the best of comparisons.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 01:06:13 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8873 on: October 04, 2014, 12:59:49 pm »

From what I can tell, Hillary is essentially a pro-gun control neocon, yet many people seem entirely willing to ignore her politics because she's a woman. I don't get it.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8874 on: October 04, 2014, 01:10:24 pm »

People generally ignore politics because party affiliation, afaik.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8875 on: October 04, 2014, 07:18:56 pm »

Neither would I, but considering it's hypothetical palpatine vs. confirmed vader, there's not much of an actual choice involved.

Palps was actually pretty good for the empire, anyway, iirc. The only major problem I can recall was the species-ism, and we've only got humans so that would mostly be okay.

E: of course, Palps was also actually fairly competent so I guess it's not the best of comparisons.
Speciesism, sexism, being willing to stripmine entire systems in order to build superweapons, supporting dudes like Tarkin (whose first claim to fame was landing his starship on top of peaceful protesters. He got a commendation for that), training assassins, locking up or executing dissenters, the whole hunting down Jedi/potential Jedi thing...really, Palps was not the best of rulers.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8876 on: October 04, 2014, 07:24:14 pm »

Speciesism, sexism, being willing to stripmine entire systems in order to build superweapons, supporting dudes like Tarkin (whose first claim to fame was landing his starship on top of peaceful protesters. He got a commendation for that), training assassins, locking up or executing dissenters, the whole hunting down Jedi/potential Jedi thing...really, Palps was not the best of rulers.
He was also more or less the avatar of the Dark Side, which acts more like a cosmic horror than a force to draw from at times.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8877 on: October 04, 2014, 07:31:00 pm »

And yet... for all that, the Empire was pretty damn well off, from what I can recall. More peaceful than not, relatively high standard of living, plenty of scientific and cultural development. Definitely some nastiness, but considering the scale of things he was probably doing better than the US is. General state of things actually got worse after the Empire toppled and better when Palps assembled the whole thing.
Ask not!
Ask!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8878 on: October 04, 2014, 07:40:15 pm »

Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8879 on: October 04, 2014, 08:47:33 pm »

I've always assumed that the atrocities we saw in IV were just a small piece of what was going on in the rest of the Empire.

I think part of the problem is that outside of IV, the Empire doesn't actually do that much bad, or much of anything really besides chase the heroes.  Which makes sense given that V and VI take place in areas outside the Empire's effective control.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 667