Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 825437 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8820 on: September 08, 2014, 12:43:59 am »

Also jeez, freaking DC.
Oh, yeah yeah, DC stands out because its companions are states instead of cities.
Some parts of NYC, for example, are >50k/mi2, 5x that of DC.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8821 on: September 08, 2014, 04:24:00 am »

Wyoming's stretches of interstate are some of the ones that were re-routed to have curves in them because people kept self-hypnotizing and crashing when they were perfectly straight for a few hundred miles. Some of Wyoming's roads have a nighttime speed limit of 80 and a daytime speed limit of Within Reason.
Within Reason? Try importing some Germans - we'll raise it to OVER 9000!

Infinity, to be exact. Unless there's a construction site and you have to crawl along at 80 km/h.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 06:26:04 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8822 on: September 08, 2014, 05:58:47 am »

What's the point of this poll? Is the only winning move not to play?

It's to decide the next US president, obviously. We are the Shadow Government.
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8823 on: September 08, 2014, 07:26:01 am »

I think there have been an increasing number (or at least increasingly publicized) of incidents highlighting how corrupt and/or badly-run local governments can be.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8824 on: September 09, 2014, 10:38:54 pm »

I think there have been an increasing number (or at least increasingly publicized) of incidents highlighting how corrupt and/or badly-run local governments can be.
So it would seem.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8825 on: September 10, 2014, 03:39:55 pm »

That's a global thing though. Local politicians tend to be the ones who were not very good, and as such never made it to the big leagues.
This is a blank sig.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8826 on: September 10, 2014, 03:50:02 pm »

Either that or FNGs that have no experience dealing with that sort of job, or with handling the power (and thus the potential abuses of said power) that go along with it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8827 on: September 11, 2014, 12:58:19 am »

How many of you guys here like/have done Model UN? I'm thinking of doing it at my college.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8828 on: September 11, 2014, 04:54:18 am »

We did it. It was about making a new climate change programme or whatever. Factions were China, the United States, Africa, the European Union, and the United Nations.

The American president ended up defecting to China, which ended up with a victorious UN (me!). Was kinda strange.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8829 on: September 11, 2014, 08:07:34 am »

That's a global thing though. Local politicians tend to be the ones who were not very good, and as such never made it to the big leagues.
And that's why I don't trust State governments more than the Federal one :P
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #8830 on: September 11, 2014, 11:15:11 am »

How many of you guys here like/have done Model UN? I'm thinking of doing it at my college.

I did.

None of my 3 resolutions (one of them drafted alongside another delegate during a conference) passed. Though one of them did pass initially until the people in charge of the committee lost the results and we had to recount - after several delegates got it into their head that I was trying to make a world currency by proposing economic benefits for use of renewable power.

And Dutch - you sure that was Model UN? It doesn't sound like it...
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8831 on: September 11, 2014, 11:19:56 am »

Nah, that definitely sounds like Model UN to me. Especially if it was high school Model UN and people weren't taking it too seriously. I'd chime in with some examples from my days in Model UN, but I'm drawing a blank here. Shows you how much I paid attention, I guess...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8832 on: September 11, 2014, 11:20:03 am »

Well I guess it was different than the usual model UN. Especially since the UN itself also took part.

We didn't get to make reforms on our own or anything. We just had to set the CO2 reduction% to a certain level and have the different countries contribute money and somehow make everyone agree to that. They then all ended up getting points for various things (money left over, with UN not having any money to begin with, and China/US losing points if there's too much reduction).

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #8833 on: September 11, 2014, 11:35:47 am »

Well I guess it was different than the usual model UN. Especially since the UN itself also took part.

We didn't get to make reforms on our own or anything. We just had to set the CO2 reduction% to a certain level and have the different countries contribute money and somehow make everyone agree to that. They then all ended up getting points for various things (money left over, with UN not having any money to begin with, and China/US losing points if there's too much reduction).

Yeah, that's not Model UN as I know it. In MUNAIKI, it's basically a replication of the real UN, with students playing the part of delegates from different countries, which are determined by school (or team, if the school is big enough). Each country gets 1-2 delegates per council, and the delegates pick their topic from a list and write a resolution on it from the point of view of their country, and the whole council votes on each resolution after it's presented and argued for by the delegate(s) that wrote it, and argued against by anyone who so wishes. Then there's General Assembly, which I don't remember much of because it didn't involve me and I didn't pay attention.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8834 on: September 11, 2014, 11:37:55 am »

Sounds like the only result from that is a ton of idealism.
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 667