Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 825339 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8700 on: September 02, 2014, 07:12:09 pm »

My entire topic summary for this post is people talking about dicks.  Please get it back on track or lose the topic.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8701 on: September 02, 2014, 07:42:37 pm »

*sigh* And here it was actually a less divisive topic. Oh well.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8702 on: September 02, 2014, 08:47:33 pm »

Lets talk about iguanas.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8703 on: September 02, 2014, 09:13:40 pm »

Anyways, where were we on guns? I kind of forgot about the thread once it kept going on about which guns being banned would do what and what guns are used for what and gungungungungun...

Spoiler: Gungun (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8704 on: September 02, 2014, 09:37:55 pm »

My entire topic summary for this post is people talking about dicks.  Please get it back on track or lose the topic.

Heh, yeah, you know how those derails are XD

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8705 on: September 02, 2014, 11:06:54 pm »

Well no, I don't think we need the Navy to repel an invasion, but it would certainly help. These days, the Navy is primarily used for power projection and nuclear strike capability. That said, for the invading/occupying force, it'd wind up being far, far worse than anyone's recent misadventures in Afghanistan or Ukraine.

Navy is for their mobile fortresses known as Aircraft Carriers and having the second largest air force in the world.

If doing it a few (dozen, hundred, etc.) times stops civilians from hiding in buildings... sure. Israel seems to think that's a good idea. Alternately, if that single civilian is capable of doing more than that cost in damage, sure. Alternately alternately, if it's reached the point something has actually sunk the money into a land invasion of the USA, I don't think they'd particularly be giving a damn about excess military spending.

Might worry about their powerbase's economy crashing, though.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8706 on: September 02, 2014, 11:40:19 pm »

Eh, considering the extent the US is entangled in the world's economy, their powerbase's economy crashing is pretty much the initial ante in any play to put boots on the ground in the states. If it's reached that point, the fiscal side of things is pretty much an entirely sunk cost. Like, a substantial portion of the world's economy is a sunk cost. It's not going to become less of a sunk cost by dropping a few (dozen, hundred, whatever) tons of ordinance on civilian structures, heh.

Extensive trade, folks. That is step one in home defense, not dakka.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8707 on: September 03, 2014, 02:13:44 am »

Yeah, but from the perspective of our american guerrillas, all those artillery rounds dropping in the hope of catching one guy with his .50 or R700 aren't shells that are falling on anyone else, like the guys wiring up hme or the national guard guys digging in some Pattons or . . .
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8708 on: September 03, 2014, 03:55:46 am »

Don't worry, an army capable of invading mainland USA would probably have enough artillery for all of them.

Then again, an army capable of invading mainland USA doesn't exist.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8709 on: September 03, 2014, 04:45:03 am »

Thus we can conclude that every army capable of invading the US consists entirely of small furry rodent-like creatures.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8710 on: September 03, 2014, 05:39:36 am »

Don't worry, an army capable of invading mainland USA would probably have enough artillery for all of them.

Technically, China could get through via attrition, but then again, they'd have to cross the Pacific first.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8711 on: September 03, 2014, 05:44:28 am »

Now, while the army that can invade the mainline United States doesn't exist today, I'd still say that the insurgent army in waiting is something that we should continue to have. No one is going to invade us this year, or a decade or two, but what about the extreme long term? Fifty years, a hundred, a few hundred? The 2nd Amendment, in the civilian militia standard, is the kind of thing that should be there for the long run.

Are there reasonable rights to civilian ownership of firearms? Damn sure that there are. Is the NRA more than a little crazy? Damn sure they are. But the intercity types and Bradley Campaigners are just as dangerous in my mindset. In an ideal world, I'd like to see more stringent background checks, a registration system that has super super super limited jurisdiction (ideally only on the State level, really. Federal government with my name on a roller-card makes me nervous, no matter how it's organized, I'm afraid), and a greater ability for tax-stamps for some of the more fun toys out there.

Edit for ninjas

Technically, China could get through via attrition, but then again, they'd have to cross the Pacific first.

The Chinese military lacks any kind of force projection, their general equipment and doctrine are not at a high standard, and their training is super spotty.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8712 on: September 03, 2014, 05:54:58 am »

I meant if they could zerg rush the US and keep throwing bodies into the fight, they could in theory win by attrition, assuming they get across the pacific first. This probably also assumes pure land fights.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8713 on: September 03, 2014, 06:02:03 am »

And we forget about nukes of course.

Anyway, even if you want a citizen army, is flooding your country with handguns the way to go?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8714 on: September 03, 2014, 06:12:02 am »

I mean, Switzerland seems like a far better example.
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 667