Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 825234 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8610 on: September 01, 2014, 10:29:31 pm »

Just read over the last several pages to see where the topic has gone.

Nope nope nope. Not stepping into this one, because Toady would wind up having to ban me.

(unconstructive remark removed)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 11:59:10 am by Toady One »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8611 on: September 01, 2014, 11:11:56 pm »

Just read over the last several pages to see where the topic has gone.

Nope nope nope. Not stepping into this one, because Toady would wind up having to ban me.

I will say this, though: Shonus....get help. Seriously. Your shiny steel phallus worship does not bode well for your future.

That's like telling all americans to get help for their 'shiny steel phallus' worship, which I'm not really seeing from Shonus, I mean he doesn't seem like a frothing pro-gun supporter.

Also, for a moment I thought you were talking about swords, not guns because you know, swords.....
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:14:41 pm by smjjames »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8612 on: September 01, 2014, 11:18:59 pm »

I think it would serve American pro-gun activists well to disengage themselves from the whole "self defence" argument and focus on fighting to retain the ownership of firearms for the chief purpose of recreation and pest control. Unfortunately gun ownership is caught up in other things like nationalism and American founding mythology and safeguards against tyrants and all the rest of it.

Incidentally "recreation" doesn't have to mean bolt action hunting rifles and shotguns (the kinds that keep timid Liberals with little firearms experience apart from action movies happy) but it can mean anything from handguns to semi automatic rifles of all shapes and sizes to AR15s to fully automatic rifles, just as it is now. There is no reason why you should need to "ban" or prevent the ownership of such things outright because it will have no effect on crime (how can it when the guns aren't used in crime to begin with?); instead heavy British style regulation is the best answer.

As a side note - if anyone else is considering attributing their debating partner's viewpoint to a sense of sexual inadequacy/insecurity (the metal phallus stuff) could I please ask them to consider the following before doing so: when has that tactic ever helped or improved the standards of debate? Rather than just needlessly dragging the debate into the gutter, insulting your opponent and making them hate you for attacking them personally?  Think on that, thanks.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:26:37 pm by Owlbread »

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8613 on: September 02, 2014, 12:57:45 am »

Incidentally "recreation" doesn't have to mean bolt action hunting rifles and shotguns (the kinds that keep timid Liberals with little firearms experience apart from action movies happy) but it can mean anything from handguns to semi automatic rifles of all shapes and sizes to AR15s to fully automatic rifles, just as it is now. There is no reason why you should need to "ban" or prevent the ownership of such things outright because it will have no effect on crime (how can it when the guns aren't used in crime to begin with?); instead heavy British style regulation is the best answer.

Have I parsed this wrong or are you suggesting handguns are not used in crime

because what
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #8614 on: September 02, 2014, 01:48:28 am »

To anyone using the UK as an example for why gun control works:

Initially, comparing homicide rates between the US and UK supports the idea that gun control works wonders. Except if you look at historic data, you find that UK homicide rates were comparatively very low even when there were basically no restrictions on gun ownership, and they actually rose significantly after the introduction of gun restriction laws, whereas US crime rose in the 1920s probably due to Prohibition and has generally risen and fallen in relation to the status of the Drug War, with increases during Prohibition, Nixon's Drug War escalation and the 1990s and drops from the end of Prohibition and from the 2000s onwards. So really, the evidence is fairly strong that gun control, at best, has a net neutral effect on homicide, and at worst increases homicide rates to some degree. Comparing US states with stricter gun laws to those with laxer gun laws generally supports the same conclusion (though differences in poverty rates, etc can make it less clear).
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8615 on: September 02, 2014, 01:58:47 am »

Blarg: Depending on the level of regulation (I don't know the ins and outs of Britain's gun control laws), it's perfectly possible if, for exemple, weapons have to be kept at the range.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8616 on: September 02, 2014, 03:06:12 am »

Have I parsed this wrong or are you suggesting handguns are not used in crime

because what
I think he was referring to the part I bolded.

Anyway, wasn't it British-style regulation that got us into this whole "United States" thing in the first place?  :P
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 03:08:36 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8617 on: September 02, 2014, 03:41:01 am »

british regulation, as far as i know, bans everything possible

unless you're a hunter, then you get a shotgun

that's good enough i guess

but hunters get so much shit nowadays, i remember talking to someone who honestly believed throwing wolves into the packed environment that europe is just to get rid of the "barbaric bastards" is a 11/10 idea

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8618 on: September 02, 2014, 03:45:23 am »

british regulation, as far as i know, bans everything possible

unless you're a hunter, then you get a shotgun

that's good enough i guess

but hunters get so much shit nowadays, i remember talking to someone who honestly believed throwing wolves into the packed environment that europe is just to get rid of the "barbaric bastards" is a 11/10 idea
Oh god, that wolf argument got on bay12 and it was hilarious. People were honestly saying that the rarity of wolf attacks in Yellowstone park was a good reason to bring wolves into the UK instead of just culling more deer with guns even though Yellowstone park is the size of greater London four times larger than greater London.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8619 on: September 02, 2014, 03:46:38 am »

Romania is packed full of wolves and they don't have a problem with them.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8620 on: September 02, 2014, 03:48:03 am »

that'd be the vampires balancing it out

try another if you'd please

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8621 on: September 02, 2014, 04:16:13 am »

Romania is packed full of wolves and they don't have a problem with them.
Romania has nature reserves with more total area than yellowstone park and their current wolf population is unsustainable without allowing wolves to prey on domestic sheep because the wolves prefer the hilly farms close to human habitation for their livestock.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8622 on: September 02, 2014, 04:27:51 am »

So? They still don't attack human, so your point about wolf attacks is completely moot. Unless you meant wolf attacks on livestock too, but then why did you bring up the Yellowstone park?

Anyway, I'd love to talk about this (I'm big on 'rewilding', although I like hunting too), but I don't think this is the thread. Want to discuss it in some other place?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8623 on: September 02, 2014, 04:55:35 am »

Spoiler: WOLVES (click to show/hide)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8624 on: September 02, 2014, 07:33:32 am »

Bosnia has plenty of wolves, and yeah, attacks on sheep are very common, but I've never heard of an attack on a human. Though TBF not that many people wander the woods due to danger of landmines, and the ones that do are mostly hunters so they're armed. But I do have a friend who lived up in the mountains, and he did run into wolves and bears on several occasions, and they just gave each other a wide berth.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:37:17 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 667