Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 825210 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8580 on: September 01, 2014, 06:05:00 am »

Using your own example of vehicle use, perhaps if you plan to potentially take a firearm on other than your own private property you should have a safety class. Does that seem a reasonable compromise? It does to me as a gun owner, as long as it is a one time or once a decade thing. I would appreciate taking such a class should it be affordable and local; partially for myself to help me relax around other gun owners I am unfamiliar with, but mostly for the sake of all those rare benighted fools who behave in a way that does not show the respect befitting something made dangerous through carelessness.

FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8581 on: September 01, 2014, 06:13:50 am »

No, the argument is effectively that fucking around with 2nd amendment rights is not something to be done lightly
Yet nobody gives a flying fuck about the government stomping all over the 4th. If you still think that Constitution matters, you need to open your eyes and look around you.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8582 on: September 01, 2014, 06:16:51 am »

Using your own example of vehicle use, perhaps if you plan to potentially take a firearm on other than your own private property you should have a safety class. Does that seem a reasonable compromise?

Taking an assembled and loaded weapon anywhere except private property (most shooting ranges are privately owned, and the owner is free to establish any limits they want, while either your car is an extension of your house or having a loaded gun is prohibited without a permit, depending on jurisdiction) usually requires some form of permit in most places, either a hunting liscence or a CCW permit. The latter almost always requires a safety course, and the former often does. (Open carry exists, but it's rarely actually in play in most places, to the point that there was a spate of arrests a few years ago because the police didn't know it was legal). Mandatory hunter safety courses is not unreasonable, provided that it's only for issuance of a new liscence as opposed to a renewal, and cleaning up the CCW requirements and applying them to open-carry is also not a serious issue, provided that the requirements are not prohibitive, and operate on a shall-issue basis.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8583 on: September 01, 2014, 06:21:20 am »

As an extension of the "made to kill humans" thing, you do already need to get training and a license and a specific justification to own various ingredients for common explosives, as well as things like engineered neurotoxins. Same goes for grenades, and I'm not sure, but probably working electric chairs... In many cases, even things not designed to kill but very likely to do so are restricted on ownership on private property, like x-ray sources.

I'm aware that there's not a "right to bear poisons," but if you want analogies and comparisons for what people already consider common sense regulations and safety controls on other things designed to kill humans and often even just likely-to-kill-humans (outside of the issue of constitutional amendments), the standard rule is actually complete restriction on ownership without good reason.

So a "safety training" requirement only for guns would in fact be far less restrictive than comparably dangerous and designed man-killing items.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 06:26:34 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8584 on: September 01, 2014, 06:31:13 am »

Using your own example of vehicle use, perhaps if you plan to potentially take a firearm on other than your own private property you should have a safety class. Does that seem a reasonable compromise?

Taking an assembled and loaded weapon anywhere except private property (most shooting ranges are privately owned, and the owner is free to establish any limits they want, while either your car is an extension of your house or having a loaded gun is prohibited without a permit, depending on jurisdiction) usually requires some form of permit in most places, either a hunting liscence or a CCW permit. The latter almost always requires a safety course, and the former often does. (Open carry exists, but it's rarely actually in play in most places, to the point that there was a spate of arrests a few years ago because the police didn't know it was legal). Mandatory hunter safety courses is not unreasonable, provided that it's only for issuance of a new liscence as opposed to a renewal, and cleaning up the CCW requirements and applying them to open-carry is also not a serious issue, provided that the requirements are not prohibitive, and operate on a shall-issue basis.

It sounds like a minor thing then.

Besides, think about it. You could potentially have free or really cheap classes (like hunter's safety) allow people unfamiliar with the weaponry to learn to handle it safely and due to this gateway potentially decide to own one. It seems to me it could be beneficial to the gun rights cause if it were written the right way rather than detrimental while at the same time it would also benefit the gun control crowd.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 06:34:41 am by Duuvian »

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8585 on: September 01, 2014, 06:54:39 am »

How many crimes were stopped by common people with guns, and how many - by trained police forces?
._.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8586 on: September 01, 2014, 07:04:18 am »

No, the argument is effectively that fucking around with 2nd amendment rights is not something to be done lightly
Yet nobody gives a flying fuck about the government stomping all over the 4th. If you still think that Constitution matters, you need to open your eyes and look around you.

Wow but that's putting some words into my mouth, y'know?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8587 on: September 01, 2014, 07:06:43 am »

Besides, think about it. You could potentially have free or really cheap classes (like hunter's safety) allow people unfamiliar with the weaponry to learn to handle it safely and due to this gateway potentially decide to own one. It seems to me it could be beneficial to the gun rights cause if it were written the right way rather than detrimental while at the same time it would also benefit the gun control crowd.

Yes, because there's a near 100% chance that those safety classes are going to be held in such a way as to make taking them a royal pain, and that's a dangerous infringement.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8588 on: September 01, 2014, 07:26:23 am »

I don't see how that can be near 100% possibility when nothing of the sort has been proposed yet. How about I say it would be near 100% possibility of being the opposite of what you said? We have similar evidence for our positions predicting the future.

Hunter's safety though I thought so at the time was not a royal pain in retrospect. I had to be driven to within three or four miles of where I lived. I don't see how if the same small town gun club that did my hunter's training class is allowed to do the gun safety classes it would be a dangerous infringement when it is cheap/free and local. I doubt there would be more than the most remote of tiny communities that lacks a local gun club able to run such classes monthly. Can you think of a better compromise that can be written to advance the interests of both sides of the argument at once? I would be happy to read it the next time I'm on the forums, I'm about to logout.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:32:31 am by Duuvian »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8589 on: September 01, 2014, 08:21:17 am »

Yes, because there's a near 100% chance that those safety classes are going to be held in such a way as to make taking them a royal pain, and that's a dangerous infringement.
And that's why nobody owns cars. After all, there's a near 100% chance that the environmentalist lobby would take great pains to ensure that the licensing procedure is an effective strategy for eroding pollution rates.

EDIT: To make my own position more clear, I want the 2nd Amendment repealed and replaced with something to the effect of the following: "The necessity of certain tools to the continued exercise of democracy being recognized, no law may remove the people's right to own the following items: <List of items>. Items may be added to this list by any act of Congress, but no item may be removed without the force of a Constitutional Amendment. This amendment shall not be construed as preventing well-reasoned regulation of these items."

I'd like guns to be on that list, along with cameras and personal computers (which are now more potent tools against tyranny than guns ever will be again in the West), and no doubt some other people can come up with additional things that ought to go in there. I'd also like judicial precedent to establish that, among whatever other definitions of "well-reasoned" exist, it be unacceptable to pass legislation just because you want to make it harder to own such items - there has to be some particular goal, like ensuring gun owners understand basic safety.

I'd like the actual regulations to be designed based on objective standards of a weapon's effectiveness instead of things like parts lists, not to involve significant financial incentives (a buyback program is the only acceptable thing, I think), and to take into account both actual statistics ("Handguns kill more people than rifles, so they need stricter standards") as well as legitimate uses of a weapon ("A fully-automatic shotgun is not something that's actually helping hunters"). Weapons should only be outright outlawed if there is no conceivable legitimate use, such as in the case of a Davy Crockett, to name an extreme example.

On the other hand, obstructionism should not be acceptable. The ATF should absolutely be able to use any means at their disposal to enforce the law, and that sure as hell includes an electronic database. Guns are not special - if we trust the IRS to have a database of finances (which the government cares about a whole hell of a lot more than weapons), why assume things are suddenly going to get especially tyrannical when it comes to guns? Regulations should apply to all sales, at all times - maybe you can still give weapons a test run at a gun show or whatever, but you're going to need to have all the relevant licenses and such on hand if you want to take one home that day.

Finally, regulations should be designed not to be overly onerous on buyers. If you want to buy a gun or whatever, you should be able to walk into any gun shop, pick something out, and be told, "Okay, I'll get that order processed for you. You'll need licenses X, Y, and Z before you can pick it up - you can schedule exams with the local State branch, or you can get it done at these private examiners if it's more convenient. All of the relevant study materials (if any) are freely available, and here's a list of ways to get any training requirements taken care of, along with ranges that carry the weapon - you can give them this receipt to prove you're practicing with the weapon, or give them your name and SSN and let them look you up in the database."
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:28:18 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8590 on: September 01, 2014, 12:30:28 pm »

How many crimes were stopped by common people with guns, and how many - by trained police forces?
In the U.S. defensive gun use happens on a daily basis, between 100,000 and 2.5 million times a year, depending on who you ask. In the vast majority of cases, the gun is not fired, since the would-be criminal runs once he sees that someone is armed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_gun_use
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8591 on: September 01, 2014, 12:32:02 pm »

In the U.S. defensive gun use happens on a daily basis, between 100,000 and 2.5 million times a year, depending on who you ask.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8592 on: September 01, 2014, 12:33:44 pm »

In the U.S. defensive gun use happens on a daily basis, between 100,000 and 2.5 million times a year, depending on who you ask.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
A fantastic rebuttal.

The moderate estimates tend to hover around 1 million.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8593 on: September 01, 2014, 12:35:44 pm »

That degree of imprecision would give you problems in astronomy.  Reading through that article is like one of those texts you give to highschool students teaching them common fuckups in statistics.

Remember kids, superman saves between 0 and ten billion lives a year!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8594 on: September 01, 2014, 12:42:27 pm »

That's like saying "the snake was between an inch and a mile in length."
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 667