Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 555 556 [557] 558 559 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 822356 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8340 on: August 21, 2014, 12:26:01 am »

That's a nice theory except that Ferguson is in MO 1st congressional district, which is RABIDLY democratic, with a higher partisan voting index than downtown San Francisco. And their congressman is black.

I suppose more importantly for DA is the county, which pretty much overlaps with the district and is as well, having voted a large majority democrat in the last 5 presidential elections. It also has double the African American population of U.S. average.

Edit: They absolutely most decidedly did NOT vote for Sarah Palin. The 2008 election in the county was a whopping 60/40 for the democratic ticket

By the way, I don't know jack shit about my own county's DA, and I doubt most people in the United States in general do. Do you? If there were a national media blitz on law enforcement in my town, for weeks, however, where the DA was relevant, I would, as would all my neighbors, and we would be quite a bit more likely to vote on his actions than normally.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:36:31 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8341 on: August 21, 2014, 12:38:25 am »

Uh... are you under the impression that democrats are not racist or pro-police?

I never said his constituency was Republicans.

St. Louis County is the place where all the whites moved that were afraid of the blacks in St. Louis.

I suppose more importantly for DA is the county, which pretty much overlaps with the district and is as well, having voted a large majority democrat in the last 5 presidential elections. It also has double the African American population of U.S. average.
The county is not the district, the district includes St. Louis city which is a BIG DEAL.

The racial makeup of St. Louis county is 70.3% White, 23.3% black.

The racial makeup of the city is 49.2% black, 43.9% white.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8342 on: August 21, 2014, 01:10:50 am »

Pro police no idea.

Less racist? Absolutely. You didn't need to say anything about that, it's relevant anyway:
http://pss.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/01/04/0956797611421206.abstract
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/pops.12077/abstract
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-white-republicans-more-racist-than-white-democrats/ <--note that this is specifically white people only. Since black people have an overwhelmingly stronger democratic lean, and are obviously less likely to be racist against black people, these gaps would all be larger with them included http://www.gallup.com/poll/160373/democrats-racially-diverse-republicans-mostly-white.aspx

The racial makeup of St. Louis county is 70.3% White.

The racial makeup of the city is 49.2% black, 47% White.
Not quite as overrepresented as it could be? Sure. that's true of pretty much everywhere in the world. Still overrepresented for black people nationally? Yes.

You're making these claims of the constituency being all super crazy and bloodthirsty and hyper racist, but not backing it up with anything. The demographics and voting record, etc. fairly strongly suggest the opposite, if anything. So are you holding out on us with something in specific here making you think otherwise? Where are you getting this stuff from?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8343 on: August 21, 2014, 01:18:34 am »

[POLICE STATE INTENSIFIES]

so, how long until revolution?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 01:24:46 am by Sergarr »
._.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8344 on: August 21, 2014, 02:11:51 am »

never, unless the military does it

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8345 on: August 21, 2014, 02:24:34 am »

Less racist? Absolutely.
First off, note that you are speaking statistically, here. And worse, you're speaking in terms of poorly contextualized statistics. Finally, it's not a question of whether they are as racist as Republican's, merely racist enough. Republican's don't even factor into the equation.

http://pss.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/01/04/0956797611421206.abstract
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/pops.12077/abstract
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-white-republicans-more-racist-than-white-democrats/
What does this have to do with anything I've said?

The racial makeup of St. Louis county is 70.3% White.
The racial makeup of the city is 49.2% black, 47% White.
Not quite as overrepresented as it could be? Sure. that's true of pretty much everywhere in the world. Still overrepresented for black people nationally? Yes.
Again, what relevancy do the things you are saying have to do with anything I've said. You're not making any sense at all. There's no relevance to saying they are better represented in the county than they are nationally - nationally doesn't matter here! The county does.

You're making these claims of the constituency being all super crazy and bloodthirsty and hyper racist, but not backing it up with anything. The demographics and voting record, etc. fairly strongly suggest the opposite, if anything. So are you holding out on us with something in specific here making you think otherwise? Where are you getting this stuff from?
I'm claiming absolutely nothing of the sort. Do you think people have to be crazy to support the police officer who killed a known criminal? Do you have to be hyper racist to simply not care when a black criminal gets shot? You're making absurd statements.

What demographic and voting records indicate they're going to oppose the Prosecutor over this? Do you have a shred of evidence of why a white-flight county, bordering a majority black city, with a long history of police abuse and coverups against black citizens, a place which regularly tops the charts for "most racist place in America", located in the state that regularly tops the charts for the "most racist state in America", the home of the Dredd Scott decision, a county that is 23% black and yet 80+% of those black people live in one neighborhood in the county despite the fact that there is no economic difference between them and the other neighbourhoods - the divisions are solely racial, and the neighborhood went from 70% white to 70% black over a mere 20 years as whites moved out when blacks moved in, a county where the Klu Klux Klan is still active and handed out pamphlets at county high schools as late as 2007, a county where despite being in a largely black district bordering a majority black city, the average white resident does not interact with black people as a regular occurence, where most of the white counties have had larger protests in support of Wilson than they have in support of Brown.

I've been talking to several people who live in St. Louis County, both white and black. I've read it's history, and what happens there even today.

And I wish I could have your confidence that the people of the county would oppose the prosecutor if he tossed the case, but I've seen no evidence of that and plenty to the contrary.

Unless you can provide any sort of argument, any sort of actual evidence that the people of St. Louis county would make McCulloch pay for mishandling the case instead of uniting in solidarity with the police (who, I may add, are from their own neighborhoods, NOT from Ferguson), I'm afraid I can't join you in your optimism.

And no, posting irrelevant statistics about how democrats are less racist than republicans isn't evidence of anything.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8346 on: August 21, 2014, 02:25:31 am »

Oh, any time now. Nobody's stopping you. Feel free. Someone's gotta lead the charge, might as well be you. You'll either be a hero whose name is spoken about for generations, or dead and thus unable to care, so it's really a win-win.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8347 on: August 21, 2014, 02:27:19 am »

never
(Sirus, considering he's not an American, he could hardly lead the charge for THIS revolution)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8348 on: August 21, 2014, 02:33:57 am »

never
(Sirus, considering he's not an American, he could hardly lead the charge for THIS revolution)
Sure he can. The French helped out with the first American Revolution, surely (insert country of Sergarr's origin) would be more than happy to help out now.

If not, we have at least a few American wannabe-anarchists on this board who would work out wonderfully as the leaders* of the new regime.

*leadership is not guaranteed, painful death and maiming far more likely
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8349 on: August 21, 2014, 04:24:48 am »

Somehow I doubt that Americans would participate in a revolution in their home country that's headed by a Russian :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8352 on: August 21, 2014, 09:59:16 am »

They should've made Jack Thompson the prosecutor.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8353 on: August 21, 2014, 10:23:23 am »

So Gryph, do you know anything about that Philip Walker guy?  I'm really curious.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8354 on: August 21, 2014, 10:35:58 am »

So Gryph, do you know anything about that Philip Walker guy?  I'm really curious.
I hadn't heard or seen anything about him before your post. It's probably because he didn't see the bulk of the incident while the others did, so he's seen as less of a primary witness. It seems to roughly match what the others have said though, with Brown getting shot in the front as the officer advanced on him.
Pages: 1 ... 555 556 [557] 558 559 ... 667