Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821940 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8115 on: August 15, 2014, 04:04:02 pm »

Either better PR or rather good propaganda, though. Think the states have always been pretty good at saying they're the land of the free (implied: Everyone else isn't, so don't turn to those godless freedom hating foreigners for anything), but less so on the whole being it part. Plus there seems to be more folks than normal who have a great deal of their identity wrapped around the concept and are very willing to bend their perception of reality to meet it, ha.

The media tends to be based in or around New York City, so you mostly hear opinions from about 10% of the nation. Some things apply to everyone *cough* NSA *cough*, but there are other things that no one even thinks about if they live outside of that one small area.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8116 on: August 15, 2014, 04:06:11 pm »

Either better PR or rather good propaganda, though. Think the states have always been pretty good at saying they're the land of the free (implied: Everyone else isn't, so don't turn to those godless freedom hating foreigners for anything), but less so on the whole being it part. Plus there seems to be more folks than normal who have a great deal of their identity wrapped around the concept and are very willing to bend their perception of reality to meet it, ha.

The media tends to be based in or around New York City, so you mostly hear opinions from about 10% of the nation. Some things apply to everyone *cough* NSA *cough*, but there are other things that no one even thinks about if they live outside of that one small area.

CNN is based in Atlanta, FYI.....

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8117 on: August 15, 2014, 04:17:08 pm »

CNN is also a joke. They care around 70% about installing solid gold holographic graph projectors and hyping up the news segment where they plan to use their holographic graph projectors, 20% about coming up with ways to somehow achieve a higher screaming-at-each-other:content ratio, and maybe 10% news.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8118 on: August 15, 2014, 04:19:15 pm »

You know, this whole incident has gotten one thought into my mind.  The media is fast.  Too fast.  Very soon after it had happened, when little was known about the incident, it was reported.  When little is known, people tend to fill in with a 'worst case scenario', which can and likely will affect any statements made once people start flooding in and witnesses become fearful that if they speak against the popular thought, then they will be attacked, making them convince themselves that they saw something different than what actually happened.

"Who are we protecting? The citizens of Ferguson."

From what I have found out, the rioters are out of town opportunists, some of whom are possibly trying to aggravate it to worse levels.  When those are in the crowd, local residents and the people there for a peaceful protest are caught in the crossfire.

"Yeah we're walking right into their homes and shooting them."

Personally, this sounded a bit like sarcasm to me.

Doesn't matter if he strongarmed a shop owner or not. At the time of the incident, he was unarmed and surrendering. Seems like typical Fox Noose to bring up a victim's past as an attempt to justify whatever happened to them.

Potentially.  I'm not entirely convinced anyone knew what happened, and those that potentially know either convinced themselves to different opinions, or were completely drowned out.

Murrican po need guns ....
They'd need less of them if the country had saner gun laws in general.

If you are referring to removing guns from the hands of people, at this point, there are so many guns in the hands of gangs and criminals, that it would make people less safe.  The common criminal doesn't want to die or get shot.  Without deterrence, they would be more likely to go after more people, since while more law-abiding citizens would modify to fit the laws, criminals would keep the same weapons they have.  Only good way to get them out of their hands would be police, and with public opinion how it is on them...

If you are referring on making the process to get a gun more difficult, with the people needing to go through background checks, psyche evaluation, gun safety courses, etc., I agree that that should be done to make those who would go on mass sprees have a harder time to get the weapons they would need.

There's a couple in St. Louis, which are the ones I tend to use since the city is only an hour away.  Due to proximity, I'm keeping an eye on the situation to make sure it doesn't go outside Ferguson.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 04:22:03 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8119 on: August 15, 2014, 04:27:49 pm »

CNN is also a joke. They care around 70% about installing solid gold holographic graph projectors and hyping up the news segment where they plan to use their holographic graph projectors, 20% about coming up with ways to somehow achieve a higher screaming-at-each-other:content ratio, and maybe 10% news.

What do you suggest I watch then, Fox?

You can't deny that their holographic projector stuff is cool though.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8120 on: August 15, 2014, 04:28:28 pm »

Personally, this sounded a bit like sarcasm to me.
It was very obvious sarcasm

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8121 on: August 15, 2014, 04:39:38 pm »

I'd generally suggest newspapers and/or news websites, such that you can scan right past any fluff articles and easily get any news for the day then move on.

If you do want to listen to something, where I am, BBC world news is on every day at 3:00pm on NPR. Lots of NPR is pretty fluffy too, but I can just aim for that one time and it's quite efficient. They're just syndicating it. Also a world focus that you don't get from the abovementioned us news sources as much.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 04:42:28 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8122 on: August 15, 2014, 04:53:02 pm »

If the options are Fox or CNN, dear god just kill me now, we've failed as a society and a civilization.

Luckily we have Al Jazeera, Vice, BBC, there's plenty of places to get real news.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8123 on: August 15, 2014, 05:06:05 pm »

If the options are Fox or CNN, dear god just kill me now, we've failed as a society and a civilization.

Luckily we have Al Jazeera, Vice, BBC, there's plenty of places to get real news.

CNN is okay-ish.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #8124 on: August 15, 2014, 05:14:29 pm »

If by "okay-is", you mean "Not Fox".

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8125 on: August 15, 2014, 05:15:26 pm »

If by "okay-is", you mean "Not Fox".

Pretty much.

I'm pretty sure I don't get BBC over here though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8126 on: August 15, 2014, 07:08:25 pm »

An'regardless, m'fairly sure if you get internet you get BBC. Well, just about everything, really, but eh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8127 on: August 15, 2014, 07:50:15 pm »

Yeah... looking back through U.S. history, I've never been able to find this mystical "once was" moment that everyone pines over.  Things have gotten worse (in my opinion), but that doesn't mean that they were ever very good in comparison to the rest of the developed world.

Well, for black people... segregation officially ended in 1954, so logically it couldn't have been better except in the 60 year period between now and then.  And really that interval is shorter than that, maybe 50-40 years.

It also means that my grandparents grew up before segregation ended.  Huh.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8128 on: August 15, 2014, 08:30:30 pm »

In unrelated news, Rick Perry apparently got indicted on a couple corruption/abuse of power charges.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8129 on: August 15, 2014, 08:41:44 pm »

This just in: The Sun is hot!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 667