Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821877 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Nixon's Sane Conservatism Nostalgia Megathread
« Reply #8055 on: August 14, 2014, 06:06:07 pm »

If you have no intention of identifying with past group actions, why are you using their label? That makes no sense. The ONLY reason to call yourself anonymous is to identify with group history and reputation, whether you were involved or not.

I'm confused what you guys think is the point, other than that? Complete freelance hacktivist not intending any group associations would merely look up the relevant evidence of who they thought shot the guy, and post it somewhere as a dossier, and call it a day.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:08:06 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8056 on: August 14, 2014, 06:07:39 pm »

Anyways, back to Ferguson.

Does anyone know if the PD has released, well, anything to show what happened? Any pictures from the scene maybe from social media? I would *love* to see the police cruiser that had a "shot fired" in it over the "struggle for the weapon" which made the officer decide to murder the kid while he was surrendering. I don't believe they'd move that vehicle off the scene immediately, if there were a shot fired in it it'd need to be documented [photographs for ballistics, where the casing ended up, etc] and taken into evidence.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:12:32 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8057 on: August 14, 2014, 06:08:29 pm »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8058 on: August 14, 2014, 06:15:28 pm »

::)

iden·ti·fied iden·ti·fy·ing
b :  to conceive as united (as in spirit, outlook, or principle) <groups that are identified with conservation>
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:18:15 pm by GavJ »

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8059 on: August 14, 2014, 06:15:54 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/15/us/ferguson-missouri-police-shooting.html?_r=0

Governor has had Missouri State Police step in to relieve the St. Louis County police of its security responsibilities in Ferguson.

About fucking time.

I hope the State Patrol operates the same way it dose here. They're appointed directly by the governor, usually on merit.

That still may or may not change anything, 'cause it's Missouri after all. But at least someone else is calling the shots over there now, ostensibly.
General agreement in the air seems to be that the staties are less bad as a whole. Rumor also has it that the officer to be put in charge is both African-American and a native of Ferguson, but I have no good source for that yet.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8060 on: August 14, 2014, 06:20:59 pm »

This is really the end result of the massive overfunding of law enforcement post-9/11 in the Bush years.

I think it's very important to be mindful that this didn't end with Bush.  Every authoritarian trend that began with Bush has continued to grow under Obama.

Probably more accurate to say this is the end of massive overfunding of law enforcement post-Snowden, the spotlights are on and the Americans are unlikely to forget. First milestone.

I'm not so optimistic.  This is far from the first time police have killed innocent people, gained national attention doing so, and terrorized a populace with military equipment.  I don't know why this time would be different from any previous.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8061 on: August 14, 2014, 06:36:44 pm »

I'm not so optimistic.  This is far from the first time police have killed innocent people, gained national attention doing so, and terrorized a populace with military equipment.  I don't know why this time would be different from any previous.
Indeed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_State_killings

additional photos:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Actual national guard in that case, but if used as police and vice versa, what's the difference?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:44:24 pm by GavJ »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8062 on: August 14, 2014, 06:37:03 pm »

Look at some other time when the police force demonstrated their martial power, like at the Boston Bombing. City shut down and you get panicking voices but overall America's ok with this. Then you look at this and on all the forums with Murricans in abundance condemn this and are crying foul, Obama's up in there too and in the modern age nothing stains longer than a racially motivated murder by a state worker and this is all happening post-ZimZam trial. Worse case scenario here is that St Louis county makes token changes in the police force to appease everyone and the American people largely forget about what's happened, but I'm optimistic here. Without the whole racial thing here everyone could before all look at US police force and say, oh, the power won't be abused or when it does it's the stress of the job or something. But if a high profile case like this shows up where the US police lockdown a county to protect a LEO with military force (after said LEO may have also abused power)! Yeah, living this down will be like Microsoft trying to live down the Xbone launch a thousand times worse.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: August 14, 2014, 06:48:14 pm »

If the public's reactions are really that different this time around, I'll be mystified.  I don't see how the circumstances and police behaviors in this case are any different from the crackdown on Occupy, the murder of Oscar Grant, the treatment of protesters at every single political event the last 15 years, etc.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8064 on: August 14, 2014, 06:49:28 pm »

Victory by degrees, SG.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: August 14, 2014, 07:09:17 pm »

I've been paying attention to the issue of police militarization/abuse for like 10 years.  Seeing the same things happen over and over, spreading the news every time, and always getting the same reactions.  I noticed some shift after Occupy - one degree there, but felt like public perception had pretty well solidified once again since.  Not like I'm measuring or taking surveys, but a steady ratio of the same reactions for as long as I've been paying attention, with a slight bump towards condemnation since Occupy.

If this turned out to be some kind of breaking point, I wouldn't see it as a matter of degrees.  It would be a sudden about-face.

And I would seriously want to know what made this one different... 

I mean... Oscar Grant was a young black man murdered in front of dozens of cameras.  You could go right now and watch him get coldly shot in the back while pinned motionless face-first into the ground by two other officers, and then nonchalantly dragged off to the side as if nothing serious had just happened.  And the same confrontations between the community and the police followed.  The Michael Brown case isn't even as clear-cut.  I cannot fathom why anyone would see a problem with this case that they didn't see with the former.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 07:18:58 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8066 on: August 14, 2014, 07:23:55 pm »

There doesn't really have to be something "different" -- just that it gets latched on to. Camel's back, just happening to be at the right time, stars being right, s'a whole bunch of things that could cause it to cause policy or perception change, even when identical or near identical events in the past didn't.

Doesn't mean it will, but there doesn't have to be anything strange or unusual about this particular case of police bullshit for it to be the one that strikes something off. If it does. Which it probably won't, but *shrugs*
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: August 14, 2014, 07:30:08 pm »

I'm not that optimistic either. I don't think this is a breaking point, and especially not with Obama deciding this is a good week to vacation and phone-in platitudes. 

This is one of those places too where I think real change ultimately has to come from within police departments; cops hold too much solidarity with each other to yield to anything but a higher power, and even then most mandates are enacted half-heartedly. They can hold all the state and federally-mandated sensitivity training they want, but until police departments stop teaching their own officers that their lives are more important than the lives of the people they serve (including the ones that might be guilty), or don't disrupt the BS-pseudo-special-forces-macho culture of police in this country, very little is every going to honestly change. I'm not saying self-policing is the best option. I just think it's the most realistic one. But that will take decades of cultural change from the way police think and act today.

And that's still setting aside what always seems to be the racially motivated side of the equation too.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8068 on: August 14, 2014, 07:44:45 pm »

If you have no intention of identifying with past group actions, why are you using their label? That makes no sense. The ONLY reason to call yourself anonymous is to identify with group history and reputation, whether you were involved or not.

I'm confused what you guys think is the point, other than that? Complete freelance hacktivist not intending any group associations would merely look up the relevant evidence of who they thought shot the guy, and post it somewhere as a dossier, and call it a day.
That's the other question, is who is calling them Anonymous? Is it themselves labeling themselves as anonymous, or is it something pinned on them?

Also, Anonymous is a well known label. Riding the coat-tails, so to speak, to get noticed or to get your information noticed.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8069 on: August 14, 2014, 07:51:33 pm »

This is one of those places too where I think real change ultimately has to come from within police departments; cops hold too much solidarity with each other to yield to anything but a higher power, and even then most mandates are enacted half-heartedly. They can hold all the state and federally-mandated sensitivity training they want, but until police departments stop teaching their own officers that their lives are more important than the lives of the people they serve (including the ones that might be guilty), or don't disrupt the BS-pseudo-special-forces-macho culture of police in this country, very little is every going to honestly change. I'm not saying self-policing is the best option. I just think it's the most realistic one. But that will take decades of cultural change from the way police think and act today.

The ONLY way that situation can be reduced is getting more people to actually show the police some respect. As things are, the police get shit on from every possible direction (seriously, going down the streets with your radio blaring "KILL THE PIGS! KILL ALL THE FUCKING PIGS!" is not a recipe for any kind of improvement), EXCEPT other cops. The result is that they see all non-cops as enemies, and that leads to an extremely tight US V THEM mentality.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 667