Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821805 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: John Galt's Freedom Appreciation Megathread
« Reply #7740 on: July 14, 2014, 11:02:15 pm »

Republicans seem to be based on the idea that the more money the rich accumulate and don't spend, the better the economy is.

And that anything opposing this view is EVIL COMMIE PROPAGANDA!

Yeah, that and the whole "look how easily we can ruin things we're in charge of" shtick. Trouble is, people buy it. <anecdote> At least half of the people where I work are terrified that if the minimum wage goes up, the economy will crash and the plant will close. </anecdote>
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #7742 on: July 15, 2014, 12:06:50 am »

I might almost be willing to suport such a thing if I didn't think it was a blatant republican powergrab. Also, why six? Two states would work just fine. Sounds to me like they're trying to split things up just such that they can win some of the elections.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7743 on: July 15, 2014, 12:17:21 am »

Republicans seem to be based on the idea that the more money the rich accumulate and don't spend, the better the economy is.

And that anything opposing this view is EVIL COMMIE PROPAGANDA!

Yeah, that and the whole "look how easily we can ruin things we're in charge of" shtick. Trouble is, people buy it. <anecdote> At least half of the people where I work are terrified that if the minimum wage goes up, the economy will crash and the plant will close. </anecdote>

This one infuriates me to no end... I very nearly went on to write paragraphs about this, but there's no point...  It's just so fucking bizarre how it never even crosses so many people's minds to think that maybe employers are responsible for their actions.  That they choose to punish their employees in response to progressive economic policies.  Poor poooor Fedex shareholders would have had to lose 2% of their multi-billion dollar profit margins in order to offer the same quality of insurance coverage under Obamacare.  Of course they had no choice but to slash everyone's benefits!  They're not to blame at all for choosing to sacrifice the well-being of their employees for the sake of ensuring record-breaking profits for the umpteenth year in a row!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7744 on: July 15, 2014, 12:43:56 am »

Link to minimum wage stuff.

So minimum wage going up does not equal death of economy, though I'm sure you were all aware of this.

Repression or something for a few months? Yeah, I can see it, before people start spending the newfound money and stuff really starts going for the economy(healthy economy equals money circulating, not stagnating, as far as I'm aware).

Also; greed is by far the worst motivating factor I can think of. Survival, self-sufficiency, planning against possible future misfortune, all fine. But greed...I mean seriously, this is getting ridiculous. Just look up the CEO pay ratio compared to their workers, by country.

America fails so hard at equality in so many ways, when that was supposedly our founding principle.

Though I suppose I shouldn't too surprised; the reasons the first colonists came here was for money, and for their religion, and no one else's. So I guess we're trying to live up to that example.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7745 on: July 15, 2014, 04:44:39 am »

I might almost be willing to suport such a thing if I didn't think it was a blatant republican powergrab. Also, why six? Two states would work just fine. Sounds to me like they're trying to split things up just such that they can win some of the elections.

The State of Silicon Valley does sound good though. It's like a whole state for the tech industry; geek independence.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7746 on: July 15, 2014, 04:58:19 am »

wow scratch that cali is big but not enormous
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:59:55 am by LordSlowpoke »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7747 on: July 15, 2014, 06:35:05 am »

I dunno, both parties seem to support the idea of the rich accumulating money being equivalent to the economy improving, they just have different methods of achieving that goal. The Republicans support tax breaks etc while the Democrats support literally giving them several trillion dollars indirectly via Federal Reserve purchases.

"Literally giving" in this case meaning "purchasing financial assets from them at market value".  The purchased assets are hardly worthless: conservative source, liberal source

So, sound principle, but they don't work much beyond the principle itself, meaning that the money just accumulates like a puddle of piss around a terrified three year old's legs?

I'm actually working on a presentation on this very subject for class this week and I'm stuck on the fence.  On the one hand, there is vast accumulation of those puddles of money: http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/EXCSRESNS

On the other hand, that's doesn't account for all of the QE money: http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/WALCL

But then there are questions with the M2 target and velocity and just... oh I dont know.

In my opinion one of the major downsides of having all that money sitting around in safe bank accounts is exemplified in the recession that my area still has not emerged from. During risky times even more money will be left than normal in those safe accounts instead of in circulation being used by less wealthy people where it would be purchasing consumer goods to help pull the economy out of recession rather than stagnating in an account to avoid risk of loss. What people will stow away in hard times seems like a hard thing to predict as well which helps make the effect unpredictable, leaving it unclear until years afterwards and the numbers have been seen. In my opinion it had a heavy effect, as jobs were being lost with very few being created in turn which caused consumer spending to go down. If I remember correctly the federal reserve had to lower rates much farther, well below what banks lend at to make them consider releasing more stagnant money to stimulate our top to bottom economy. Unfortunately the two liters of sweet caffeinated beverage I depend on to stay conscious has roughly doubled in necessary dollar amount to purchase due to inflation because the banks had to be more or less bribed to perform their main responsibility to society but that's a different issue.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:06:31 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7748 on: July 15, 2014, 07:10:26 am »

snip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOeKidp-iWo

The State of Silicon Valley does sound good though. It's like a whole state for the tech industry; geek independence.

Which means that state governments can no longer make sure that the high tech oligarchs pay taxes to take care of the welfare of the damn poors in the rest of the state.  Which seems to be the reason for this whole little charade.  If you just tried to split off Silicon valley it would be rather transparent but dressing it up into a bunch of a bunch of states obfuscates that.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:39:25 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7749 on: July 15, 2014, 07:24:52 am »

Silicon Valley would probably be an interesting case study in regional electoral politics, as it's probably the only place in the nation where state elections would be fought between Democrats and Libertarians, instead of Democrats and Republicans.

I wonder if they'd also experiment with any of the more esoteric voting or representation systems that have been proposed?

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened), against domestic Violence.

There's nothing saying you can't have a proportional representation system, or even a parliamentary system.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #7750 on: July 15, 2014, 09:48:32 am »

I dunno, both parties seem to support the idea of the rich accumulating money being equivalent to the economy improving, they just have different methods of achieving that goal. The Republicans support tax breaks etc while the Democrats support literally giving them several trillion dollars indirectly via Federal Reserve purchases.

"Literally giving" in this case meaning "purchasing financial assets from them at market value".  The purchased assets are hardly worthless: conservative source, liberal source

Making several billion dollars in profits is pretty insignificant when not only is your profit basically being generated by your own gigantic purchases, but your expenditures are in the multi-trillion dollar range. Anyhow, besides that, a monetarist conservative would argue that cutting taxes can lead to increased revenues going by the Laffer Curve, but that's largely beside the point.

Meanwhile, besides direct asset purchases on Wall Street, the Fed also buys Treasuries, except it doesn't buy them directly; the Fed purchases are middle-manned by Wall Street firms, which basically constitutes about a trillion dollars literally going straight to Wall Street. Further, interest rates are held artificially low, which hugely stimulates the stock market, of which 90% is owned by the richest 10%. So people flip out about how the Republicans only care about the rich when they get tax cuts amounting to tens of billions of dollars each year, but have no comment when they receive trillions directly and indirectly.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7751 on: July 15, 2014, 09:51:17 am »

I'll help you on the real reason there, GJ:
The Fed’s portfolio of securities and other assets has swelled to more than $4 trillion since the financial crisis, growth driven largely by several rounds of bond purchases aimed at lowering long-term borrowing costs to spur more spending, investment and hiring.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7752 on: July 15, 2014, 10:53:57 am »

So people flip out about how the Republicans only care about the rich when they get tax cuts amounting to tens of billions of dollars each year, but have no comment when they receive trillions directly and indirectly.

I think understanding is pretty widespread that both parties cater to business.  Republicans are just more brazen about it, and thus easier targets for casual complaint.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7753 on: July 15, 2014, 11:50:04 am »

Making several billion dollars in profits is pretty insignificant when not only is your profit basically being generated by your own gigantic purchases

"Several billions" is a poor description of 88 billion.

A ~2% annual return on investment for safe assets is if anything a little above what you would expect for a zero leverage portfolio of that composition.

Meanwhile, besides direct asset purchases on Wall Street, the Fed also buys Treasuries, except it doesn't buy them directly; the Fed purchases are middle-manned by Wall Street firms, which basically constitutes about a trillion dollars literally going straight to Wall Street.

Yes that money literally goes to the group of entities that laypeople generally conflate with Wall Street.  It literally goes to them because of assets purchased at market value.

Just last week literally hundreds of dollars went from my boss to me.  Aren't I lucky.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #7754 on: July 15, 2014, 02:58:12 pm »

Making several billion dollars in profits is pretty insignificant when not only is your profit basically being generated by your own gigantic purchases

"Several billions" is a poor description of 88 billion.

A ~2% annual return on investment for safe assets is if anything a little above what you would expect for a zero leverage portfolio of that composition.

"Several billions" isn't too bad when, to my recollection, the Fed purchases 65 billion dollars worth of such assets monthly. Also, a 2% RoI isn't very good when you factor in the fact that stocks are generally shooting through the roof thanks for aforementioned low interest rates, which basically means that 2% RoI is "breaking even" after accounting for inflation at best.
Meanwhile, besides direct asset purchases on Wall Street, the Fed also buys Treasuries, except it doesn't buy them directly; the Fed purchases are middle-manned by Wall Street firms, which basically constitutes about a trillion dollars literally going straight to Wall Street.

Yes that money literally goes to the group of entities that laypeople generally conflate with Wall Street.  It literally goes to them because of assets purchased at market value.

Just last week literally hundreds of dollars went from my boss to me.  Aren't I lucky.

Assets purchased for the purpose of stimulating the stocks and bonds, which, again, overwhelmingly benefits the rich, ignoring the direct transfers of cash to Wall Street firms (which, again, make money from middle-manning the purchases). This is a similar end (with a different means) to the one sought by supply-siders, only with direct asset purchases instead of indirect tax cuts. I'm not sure why the latter is somehow unacceptable but whatever.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 667