Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819239 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: John Galt's Freedom Appreciation Megathread
« Reply #7395 on: June 26, 2014, 09:06:33 am »

My desire not to watch this was overruled by my desire to post this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Edit: whoops, bigger than I thought.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 09:40:38 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7396 on: June 26, 2014, 09:09:37 am »

Immigration reform is, by common consensus, dead in the water.

What makes them think immigration reform will be any easier to push through after Obama leaves office? Are they expecting a republican to be in office?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7397 on: June 26, 2014, 09:39:02 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A thousand times yes.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7398 on: June 26, 2014, 10:08:40 am »

In local news, Buddy Cianci looks like he'll be running for Mayor of Providence again - and he just might win!

Note that the previous two times he was elected he ended up in jail - the first time for beating a guy half to death with some stuff from a fireplace, and then putting out cigarettes on the guy, and the second time for like a whole bunch of corruption charges.

But people fucking *love* the guy.

Ah, Rhode Island...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7399 on: June 26, 2014, 10:09:56 am »

Immigration reform is, by common consensus, dead in the water.

What makes them think immigration reform will be any easier to push through after Obama leaves office? Are they expecting a republican to be in office?
Essentially, there's three issues in play.

First, there's not enough time to settle the issue this Congressional term due to the upcoming summer recess and the need for a fair bit of "housecleaning" legislation after this. Once the midterms are done, the battle for 2016 will begin in earnest, and the Republicans aren't going to want to bend on anything (absent a massive push by their voter base) out of fear of looking like they're bending to pressure.

Second, Obama is a uniquely attackable President. He isn't particuarly personable in the way that Clinton and Bush were, coming across more like a stern, distant father than a jovial uncle. The Affordable Care Act has been blasted from both sides (the Right claim it goes to far, the Left say it stops far too short.) The 'birthers' have sowed enough doubt among certain segments of the electorate to cause trouble even though the movement is dead, and the race issue cannot be neglected (again, this is a problem from both sides. A lot of Democrats, particularly black Democrats, wanted and expected more from our first black president, while it is a sad fact that the Republican voter base is largely in a demographic where racism is still prevalent.) The GOP has made heavy use of this in campaigning for lesser elections, but this is biting them in the ass now when it comes to getting anything done, as the hardline faction they've fed and fostered now is ready to crucify them if they go "soft". Our next President, even if it's Clinton, won't have that baggage in anywhere near as great a quantity.

Finally, since both parties consider reform to be in their best interests, as the Dems want to keep their solid Latino voting block, while the Republicans desperately want to capture some of it, it's likely to sail through under the next administration without much fuss, no matter which side wins.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7400 on: June 26, 2014, 10:10:13 am »

Nohamotyo, Glaph. Any past misdeed have probably been long since forgotten.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7401 on: June 26, 2014, 10:12:49 am »

cianci might be a... specific kind of person, but from what i see from a brief lookup of the history of providence he gets shit done

that or he's a damn good populist

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7402 on: June 26, 2014, 10:19:51 am »

Assertive assholes often do well in elections for that reason, especially if there's been a run of incompetent or ineffectual officeholders for a few terms.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7403 on: June 26, 2014, 11:34:37 am »

@Lord Shonus: Plus we're in the middle of an immigration crisis with the waves of unaccompanied minors being sent over the border, which makes it kind of hard to really do anything until this crisis gets resolved and at the same time, makes immigration reform more urgent.

The partianship doesn't help things either.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7404 on: June 26, 2014, 02:55:42 pm »

So what do we make of the big supreme court decisions recently? Liike cell phone warrants, 30ft no-protest zones around abortion clinics,  and there was a third slipping my mind.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7405 on: June 26, 2014, 03:03:55 pm »

So what do we make of the big supreme court decisions recently? Liike cell phone warrants, 30ft no-protest zones around abortion clinics,  and there was a third slipping my mind.
More. Obama's Recess appointment powers were limited. A little while ago the EPA's authority to regulate stationary sources (mosly power stations) was mostly upheld ("EPA wanted 86%. We gave them 83%"), but got a dressing down for stepping out of bounds.

Also the Supreme Court is basically forced to take up Gay Marriage soon.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7406 on: June 26, 2014, 03:17:29 pm »

Surprised there's no discussion about the Mississippi Senate primary. Cochran beat out the Tea Party challenger with some significant assistance from black, mostly Democratic voters. And now McDaniel is contemplating a legal challenge.

On the one hand, it's an open primary. Getting butthurt that Cochran played smart politics is just lolfail.
On the other hand, part of that open primary rule is that no one who cast a ballot in the Democratic primary earlier would be eligible to cast one in the Republican runoff. That's where the crux of their challenge is going to be.
On the third hand, turnout in the Democratic primary was very low, potentially leaving a large reservoir of Democrats eligible to vote in the GOP runoff.

I did like the quote from Lindsey Graham (R-SC) basically saying "Uhh, if we act like getting black votes is a horrible thing, that's maybe not such a good idea."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7407 on: June 26, 2014, 04:11:15 pm »

Ha, graham specifically said "that's the best news I've heard in a long time."
Is that going to turn into a protracted thing while they compare the dem primary turnout against the GOP turnout? Yeah I guess he is upset.
It's funny how this comes so soon after Cantor's pollster claimed the same thing.

How were his appointment powers limited?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 04:15:23 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7408 on: June 26, 2014, 04:26:12 pm »

@Lord Shonus: Plus we're in the middle of an immigration crisis with the waves of unaccompanied minors being sent over the border, which makes it kind of hard to really do anything until this crisis gets resolved and at the same time, makes immigration reform more urgent.

Unaccompanied minors crossing the border is an immigration crisis? Seems like a GOP soundbite, or your typical media overdramatization. It's a tragedy, but it's not a crisis.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7409 on: June 26, 2014, 04:42:30 pm »

Isn't a primary a private affair? How do you legally challenge your own party failing to sufficiently check up on adherence to their own policies?

Maybe that's just us weird Iowans, but even presidential primaries here are run by the parties, not the government (I know that's not usually the case, but I would assume it's more common for congressional primaries)
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 667