Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819653 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: John Galt's Freedom Appreciation Megathread
« Reply #7275 on: June 23, 2014, 10:12:45 am »

I'm afraid that either of those will just result in a single party system.

But yeah, it's hard to push through changes when the only party in position to make said changes benefits from not doing so.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7276 on: June 23, 2014, 10:53:37 am »

What would need to happen to the US system in order to develop a multi-party system?
Dissection of the country into independent states.
._.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7277 on: June 23, 2014, 10:54:43 am »

Overhaul of the FPTP-system, actually.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7278 on: June 23, 2014, 11:33:05 am »

Dividing won't solve it. It just means that in non battleground states one of the 2 parties will have to change, but the two party system will remain.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7279 on: June 23, 2014, 12:17:09 pm »

What would need to happen to the US system in order to develop a multi-party system?
Any element that makes either a voter say "I have to vote for Repub/Demos or else my vote won't count" and any element that makes a would-be politician say "I have to align with Demos/Repubs or I won't stand a chance" need to go. Hence, first past the post (Strategic voting is a huge issue, and in the recent Ontario election, the liberals got 1% more vote than they did last time but won a majority and got 55 (out of 107) seats. Greens got 5% vote and no seats. Not very democratic) and election funding by big-ass corporations need to go. Gerrymandering is... well, obvious that it needs to leave.

Getting rid of the electoral college would probably help too, since that means no matter where you are, your vote matters as much as anyone elses vote.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7280 on: June 23, 2014, 12:25:06 pm »

Getting rid of the electoral college would probably help too, since that means no matter where you are, your vote matters as much as anyone elses vote.
Yeesssss... functionally disenfranchise those dirty rural plebeians. Only the cities will ever matterrrrr, ahahahahahahaaaa!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7281 on: June 23, 2014, 12:45:10 pm »

Yeesssss... functionally disenfranchise those dirty rural plebeians. Only the cities will ever matterrrrr, ahahahahahahaaaa!
Considering those rural plebians are at the core of why we have a functionally insane Congress..... :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7282 on: June 23, 2014, 12:51:15 pm »

Hey, as a dirty rural pleb I readily welcome favoritism for my fellows being excised from the democratic system. It's probably overdue. Some kind of check might be nice to keep our clueless city dwelling overlords from legislatively wrecking the entire non-urban countryside, but other than that maybe some parity would be nice for a generation or two.
Ask not!
Ask!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7283 on: June 23, 2014, 01:00:27 pm »

I mean, first you'll have to convince me why their votes should matter more.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7284 on: June 23, 2014, 01:13:49 pm »

I want to say the modern reasoning (well, beyond partisan party bullshit) is something along the lines of throwing them a bone so they're somewhat more content with being poor backwoods drunkards,* instead of being poor backwoods drunkards blowing up the local infrastructure. Also to give some more weight to folks actually on the ground for the non-urban areas, which make up a lot more of the country geographically. I couldn't say how well this has actually been working out (though I could guess that the answer is "poorly to the point of being farcical").

*Not 100% representative of the rural population. Maybe 90% representative, but anyway. Yes, as a poor rural pleb having been surrounded by drunk poor rural plebs for most of my life, my perceptions are slightly colored by the general practices of north florida's particular brand of swamp dweller.
Ask not!
Ask!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7285 on: June 23, 2014, 01:20:46 pm »

Generally, I think the reasoning is that it's harder for a minority to repressed if they're represented beyond their number.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7286 on: June 23, 2014, 01:25:47 pm »

Well, considering the vast majority of voters *are* urban... Why the fuck are Rural people so special that they can hold a strangle-hold on a democracy, purely because of where they live and what they do?

Edit: I don't really care how this sounds. :V
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 01:27:28 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7287 on: June 23, 2014, 01:59:43 pm »

Maybe because, if urban voters carelessly wreck rural areas through legislation, the entire world starves. Isn't that farfetched when you've seen literally hundreds of business ruined because "It smells bad!" or "I don't want to hear those engines running until 10:00 AM!"
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7288 on: June 23, 2014, 02:06:29 pm »

Maybe because, if urban voters carelessly wreck rural areas through legislation, the entire world starves. Isn't that farfetched when you've seen literally hundreds of business ruined because "It smells bad!" or "I don't want to hear those engines running until 10:00 AM!"
"the entire world"?
._.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7289 on: June 23, 2014, 02:08:41 pm »

An exagerration, but not as much of one as I would like, given the huge percentage of the world food supply that's held up directly or indirectly by US grain. Taking 20 or 30 percent out of the equation would result in massive famine.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 667