Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819880 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor Norton's Imperial Politics Megathread
« Reply #7185 on: June 19, 2014, 12:56:42 pm »

My own apologies, I read that as that you claiming  to have had already admitted it and that we were still pushing it despite that. It's clear now that it is not what you intended.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: June 19, 2014, 01:26:09 pm »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: June 19, 2014, 01:37:40 pm »

What happened. Since when is America actually making somewhat progressive decisions?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: June 19, 2014, 01:50:13 pm »

What happened. Since when is America actually making somewhat progressive decisions?
Well, with Europe swinging so conservative lately, and America being staunch believers in "Whatever Europe does, do the opposite", well... you know how it goes!

More seriously, the American people have always had pretty progressive beliefs, statistically, but those beliefs were less important than supporting their "team", and the teams themselves have never been very progressive.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: June 19, 2014, 02:01:50 pm »

Well, America is somewhat anomalous on beliefs regarding immigration. While there has been a lot of nativist periods over the years, under normal circumstances most people realize that there isn't any real reason to be anti-immigrant in an almost entirely immigrant and immigrant-descended society.

Even the "deport them all" maniacs usually are in favor of legal immigration. To get to the "let nobody in" crowd you have to go to the seriously far-right. As I understand it, that's a more mainstream position in Europe.

Permanent residency is not a position that really rings strongly in American political discourse. Both the left and the right are proud of residents becoming citizens. To make a permanent class of non-citizen residents is both a terrible idea and kind of contrary to the American ideal, which is why it is even less popular than deportation frenzy.

As for euthanasia, it hasn't been focused strongly upon by either party (which is why it's still illegal in almost every state despite solid support), and thus has become a front of quiet progression without major right-wing figures on TV every day shouting about "killer bureaucrat doctors going to pull the plug on grandma for resource conservation!".
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:03:25 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: June 19, 2014, 06:07:45 pm »

Looks like it's only a matter of time before the testudo formation becomes standard practice at protests. Not gonna help terribly with the pepper spray, but you take what you can get for dealing with the other rounds. Bleh.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: June 19, 2014, 06:31:06 pm »

I wonder if we'll see something like this present the next time a major activist movement sweeps the country?
There's a silver lining to that message, though - this is (sorta) high-tech, and it's made in Africa! Southern Africa, but still.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: June 19, 2014, 07:03:14 pm »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: John Galt's Freedom Appreciation Megathread
« Reply #7197 on: June 19, 2014, 09:33:19 pm »

bwahahahahahahahaha

GlyphGryph already posted about that at the top of the page. Not that specific article though.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: June 20, 2014, 04:53:01 am »

I wonder if we'll see something like this present the next time a major activist movement sweeps the country?
That sounds irresponsibly dangerous. Pepper spray is bad enough, but then there's lasers designed to be shone into people's eyes to blind them, and the thing can be loaded with solid plastic pellets too? It's just asking for someone to get killed or maimed.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: June 20, 2014, 05:26:17 am »

That sounds irresponsibly dangerous. Pepper spray is bad enough, but then there's lasers designed to be shone into people's eyes to blind them, and the thing can be loaded with solid plastic pellets too? It's just asking for someone to get killed or maimed.
I wonder when we'll see drone counter measures on the market.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 667