Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820462 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor Norton's Imperial Politics Megathread
« Reply #7035 on: June 13, 2014, 01:12:26 pm »

It's not a law, it's an amendment.

Also, I'm sure that wife will be very comforted when her husband just grab the family gun rather than wield an axe.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7036 on: June 13, 2014, 01:25:21 pm »

We have tazers for dealing with those situations.

And yeah, the mere presence of guns causes an increased amounts of deaths. (Israel, for example, halved suicide rates amongst conscripts by preventing conscripts from taking their guns home). They tend to escalate any crime they're part of.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 01:33:57 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7037 on: June 13, 2014, 01:28:43 pm »

You don't need weapons for self defence. It's illegal here and last time I checked I've not been assaulted by an axe wielding significant other.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7038 on: June 13, 2014, 02:00:43 pm »

Aah, well then, +1 for that amendment, (though it could do with some more narrowing- what do they mean by 'regulating the spending of money'? That's broader than 'regulating the total amount spent', I could see issues with, say, limiting radio-time to hurt a party's ability to garner poorer voters, that kinda thing).

No, I don't think she would, but at that point it just reverts to the same situation as the axe- killer has an unfair advantage. Difference being, he'd have to secure that gun, or else she'd be able to defend herself on equal terms.
Premeditated, first-degree murder? Not so easy to stop.
2nd/third degree so-called 'crimes of passion'? Stopped.

Can't seem to find a good source, but internet scuttlebut says murders are split ~50/50.

It's illegal here and last time I checked I've not been assaulted by an axe wielding significant other.
Do not want; to bring someone up on charges of murder for defending themselves in situations where they cannot flee should itself be criminal.
Yes, and your lack of being a victim of attempted homicide is evidence of what, that 'never in recorded history has one spouse attempted to murder the other'?

We have tazers for dealing with those situations.

And yeah, the mere presence of guns causes an increased amounts of deaths. (Israel, for example, halved suicide rates amongst conscripts by preventing conscripts from taking their guns home). They tend to escalate any crime they're part of.
True, some people do. But if I were trapped & under life threat I'd sure as shit prefer a 45 over a dinky 1-shot taser.

Let's see them stats.

Mind you guys, legally-justified self-defence is when you have no other recourse- if one can run, one must run. If they are no longer threatening your life, you don't shoot them in the back or 'finish the job'.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7039 on: June 13, 2014, 02:02:59 pm »

I'd be almost completely fine if everyone had less-than-lethal guns for self-defense, like a bean-bag shot-gun or a tazer. The only way it's "almost" is because if everyone had them, then you know that statistically speaking there will be a fair number of people for whom "less than" didn't quite cut it.

But I don't think that your self-defense should extend quite so far as "Capability of almost-guaranteed killing someone with a pull of the finger." Hunting rifles, sure. Police officers responding to a dangerous situation, sure. Recreational, sure. But hand-guns, not so much.

I could *settle* for a hand-gun ban and reliance on shotguns for self-defense. I wouldn't enjoy it, but I could settle. I would still rather bean-bag shotguns and tazers were the go-to self-defense weapon. Hell, give them out to anyone who takes a high-school course on gun safety (you can still kill someone with them, after-all). Get almost-literally everyone with a less-than-lethal self-defense weapon.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 02:04:56 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7040 on: June 13, 2014, 02:04:33 pm »

The right to self-defense is absolute, in my opinion. I don't even believe in the duty to retreat unless said retreat is a certainty, and only if you are not in your home.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7041 on: June 13, 2014, 02:05:39 pm »

If everyone had laser beam eyes, we wouldn't need to worry about crimes happening anymore. Now that's an all-encompassing civilian self defense plan I can get behind.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7042 on: June 13, 2014, 02:06:16 pm »

It's illegal here and last time I checked I've not been assaulted by an axe wielding significant other.
Do not want; to bring someone up on charges of murder for defending themselves in situations where they cannot flee should itself be criminal.
Owning weapons for self defence is illegal here*. You won't get prosecuted for self defence, even if it's in excess or with an illegal weapon.

*You can of course just own one for sports/hunting/collecting. Illegal might not be a good term, it's just not a valid reason for a license.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 02:08:01 pm by Dutchling »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7043 on: June 13, 2014, 02:11:23 pm »

Get almost-literally everyone with a less-than-lethal self-defense weapon.
It's Nerf or nothing.

Because seriously, have you SEEN some of the Nerf guns these days?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7044 on: June 13, 2014, 02:21:44 pm »

We have about 8 Nerf Guns here in the office. Ironically, the one with the most "stopping power" fits in the palm of your hand. It hits hard enough with those rubber darts, if you got it in the eye it would really, really hurt.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7045 on: June 13, 2014, 02:55:06 pm »

Ahah, the Thanks Obama meme spread to Belgium!

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7046 on: June 13, 2014, 02:55:29 pm »

Eeh, I want to like the tazers & classes idea, but I don't think I do. They just aren't as effective, not as a replacement & accompanied with an absolute handgun ban. And that ban runs into enforcement problems.
I'd be much more ok with introducing it as an option like driving classes & encouraging non-lethal possession, independent of the handgun ban.
If it works, who knows what could follow. But together, it feels like too much too fast.

Snip
Snip
Owning weapons for self defence is illegal here*. You won't get prosecuted for self defence, even if it's in excess or with an illegal weapon.

*You can of course just own one for sports/hunting/collecting. Illegal might not be a good term, it's just not a valid reason for a license.

Ooh, ok.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7047 on: June 13, 2014, 02:57:20 pm »

Well, the problem is that with a tons of handgun around, it's not only your victim that is more likely to have one. Criminals are more likely to have guns too.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7048 on: June 13, 2014, 03:02:16 pm »

Then everyone just starts wearing carbon-fiber insulated clothing.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7049 on: June 13, 2014, 03:03:43 pm »

Eeh, I want to like the tazers & classes idea, but I don't think I do. They just aren't as effective, not as a replacement & accompanied with an absolute handgun ban. And that ban runs into enforcement problems.
I'd be much more ok with introducing it as an option like driving classes & encouraging non-lethal possession, independent of the handgun ban.
If it works, who knows what could follow. But together, it feels like too much too fast.

Snip
Snip

Ooh, ok.
Notice how I focused on bean-bag shotguns and tazers were an afterthought? Yeah, there's a reason for that.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 667